• Published 22nd Feb 2012
  • 3,985 Views, 61 Comments

My Little Brony: Mateship is Magic - Rainy Meadows

  • ...
10
 61
 3,985

Episode Eight: Secret of My Excess

MY LITTLE BRONY: MATESHIP IS MAGIC

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic rule 63 Edition

EPISODE EIGHT: SECRET OF MY EXCESS



Developed by Rainy Meadows

Cover image by Trotsworth



CHARACTERS:

Dusk Shine: Prides himself on being the star student of Lord Solaris – an antisocial who is uneasy about meeting new ponies.

Spines: Dusk Shine’s assistant – a baby dragon and his best friend/little sister – sometimes feels unappreciated, and occasionally has to prompt/coerce Dusk Shine.

Applejack: Belongs to an extensive family of apple farmers, and is strong and reliable in a bad situation. Speaks with a thick Southern American accent.

Rainbow Blitz: An athletic weather pony who idolizes the Wonderbolts and is renowned for boasting and bragging about his achievements.

Elusive: Speaks with a heavy Mid-Atlantic accent – very critical when it comes to details and fussy about his appearance.

Butterscotch: An extremely shy and easy-to-scare pony who enjoys anything to do with animals, but is not as antisocial as Dusk Shine. His voice is very quiet.

Bubble Berry: Quite possibly the happiest, most energetic, most RANDOM pony in the whole of Equestria – obsessed with parties and finds it impossible to be quiet.



Lesser characters:

Applebuck: One of the Cutie Mark Crusaders and Applejack’s younger brother.

Scooteroll: One of the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

Zircon: A zebra witch doctor who lives in the Everfree Forest.

Horse M.D: A doctor who examines Spines.

Manes Goodall: A vet who examines Spines.

Mr Cake: Co-proprietor of Sugarcube Corner.

Mrs Cake: Co-proprietor of Sugarcube Corner.

Junebuddy: One of the ponies Spines blindsides.

Cherry Lee: Teacher at Ponyville Elementary School.





Ponyville library: Dusk Shine ignites a candle.

Dusk Shine: No distractions.

He draws the curtains and narrows his eyes.

Dusk: Today is too important. (levitates the books off the shelves) Reshelving day!

The books fall to the ground, leaving the shelves completely empty. Dusk puts a hoof to his forehead in concentration, and lifts the books back into the air. They start flying around in an extremely orderly fashion. Dusk brings one down in front of his face.

Dusk: “Understanding Medieval Equestria” goes in Pony History. (puts the book on a different shelf) “Modern Spellcasting”; that’s Classics. (replaces the second book) “The Art of the To-Do List”... (puts the book down) Actually, I kinda want to read that again!

He hears Spines giggling, and it breaks his concentration: the books fall to the ground in heaps. Dusk pokes his head out with pages impaled on his horn and looks at his assistant, who is standing on the stairs holding a large ruby.

Dusk: Spines, what’re you laughing at? You broke my concentration: I’m gonna have to start again now.

Spines: This little beauty is my birthday present to myself. It’s a fire ruby! (holds it up) I’ve been aging it for months and it’s almost ripe!

She hits it with a tuning fork and listens to the hum, then starts giggling again. Then she slips on a fallen book and loses her footing, but catches the ruby with the tip of her tail.

Spines: (sees the mess) Oh hey, you took my advice: just use the whole floor as one big shelf!

Dusk: *frustrated groan*



(theme song)



Later: Dusk is still working on his reshelving and Spines is polishing her fire ruby, and there is a knock at the door.

Elusive: (out of sight) Hello? (opens the door) Anypony home? Dusk Shine? (sees the fire ruby) *gasp* Is that a fire ruby? But-but that has to be 24 carats, at least! And it’s flawless: no inclusions, pristine facets-

Spines: And totally delicious!

Dusk: (looking around) Um, do you mind?

Elusive: Oh, my apologies Dusk. I simply came around to see if you possessed any books on historical fashion. (to Spines) Did you say “delicious”?

Spines: You bet! See, it’s my birthday next week, and this’ll be my birthday dinner.

Dusk: (holding a book) Try this one.

Elusive: (takes the book and opens it) Thank you, Dusk. I have a feeling that ruffled taffeta cloaks will make a massive comeback this year, and I want to be ahead of the game...

He gazes longingly at the fire ruby and bits his hoof in yearning.

Elusive: I hope it’s as tasty as it is beautiful, Spines. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more stunning gemstone in all my life. (covers his mouth with a hoof and keeps his eyes fixed on the ruby)

Spines: You... you really like it, eh?

Elusive: Like it? It’s... magnificent!

Spines looks from his dreamy face to the fire ruby.

Spines: Then you should have it. (gives Elusive the ruby) This beautiful gem was meant to be with you.

Elusive: (levitates the ruby before him) I don’t know what to say. This is- it’s so thoughtful! Oh, Spinesy-winesy!

He kisses her on the cheek, and she falls over, stiff as a board and completely love struck.

Elusive: Thank you so much!

He bounces happily out of the library, apparently forgetting about the book he wanted to borrow, and Spines seems to regain some of her dignity.

Dusk: (still reshelving) Wow, Spines. That’s gotta be one of the nicest things you’ve ever done. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Elusive so happy!

Spines: (stroking her cheek) I am never going to wash this cheek again.

One week later: Dusk and Spines are putting the finishing touches to a party set-up.

Dusk: You done, Spines? Everypony will be here soon.

Spines: There. Perfect! Everything looks perfect.

Dusk: Uh, not quite everything. (gives Spines a washcloth)

Spines: A washcloth? I don’t get it. (Dusk stares meaningfully at her face, and she catches on) What? No way, Dusk! I said I wasn’t going to wash the cheek Elusive kissed and I meant it!

She turns her head and reveals that her cheek has become filthy due to remaining unwashed. Dusk takes the washcloth and starts advancing on Spines, who runs away, so he gives chase.

Dusk: Call it quits, Spines. I’m cleaning that cheek whether you like it or not!

He starts teleporting Spines closer to him in an effort to catch her, but because she runs away she may as well be simply running through conjoined portals.

Spines: (appears) It’s mine! (appears again) Stop it!

She disappears one last time; Bubble Berry appears in her place and blows a party horn into the face of the dumbfounded Dusk. Spines appears on the other side of the library.

Bubble Berry: Happy birthday!

He throws confetti over Spines’ head. Dusk takes advantage of the distraction and cleans her face.

Berry: (leaps around excitedly) Party time! WOO HOO!

The rest of the mane 6 gather, all holding presents.

Spines: Wow. Are those all for me?

Applejack: (gives Spines a present) You bet they are, birthday girl.

Butterscotch: (gives her another present) Happy birthday, Spines.

The colts pile up more and more presents, until Rainbow Blitz drops a dumb-bell on top and Spines collapses under the weight. She stares – apparently confused – at all of the gifts.

Rainbow Blitz: What’s up? You do know you get presents on your birthday, right?

Spines: Well, see, this is my first birthday in Ponyville: I usually only get one present. From Dusk. A book.

Dusk hears this and backs away sheepishly, hiding a barely wrapped book behind his back.

Elusive: Speaking of presents (presents a beautiful cloak) THIS is from my new line of taffeta cloaks. I shall be making one for each of you.

Everypony: (assorted compliments)

Elusive: I have been inspired by the generosity of my darling little Spinesy-winesy, who gave me this beautiful fire ruby, (which he is wearing as a brooch... somehow) one of the kindest acts I have ever experienced.

He and Spines share a nuzzle.

Later: Spines is rummaging through her presents and emerges from the heap clutching an apple patterned blanket.

Spines: Applejack, I can’t thank you enough for this awesome blanket. (hugs AJ) I really needed a new one!

AJ: (pushes Spines away) I get it, Spines. You already thanked me fifteen times! I’m starting to get a little embarrassed.

Spines: (looks around at her friends – Berry is bouncing on a balloon) I know I keep thanking you guys, but I’m just so grateful. I wish this party could last forever!

Berry: (lands on the balloon again – it pops) Duh! This party CAN’T last forever ‘coz you have to go to Sugarcube Corner ‘coz the Cakes said they have a special surprise for you ‘coz it’s your birthday!

Spines: (ecstatic) NO WAY! (runs away)

Berry: I said the party couldn’t last forever but that doesn’t mean it has to end right now-

The door slams. Spines runs at top speed to Sugarcube Corner, and stands at the bar rocking back and forth on her heels.

Spines: Hi, Mr and Mrs Cake!

Mrs Cake: There’s the dragon of the hour. Happy birthday, Spines!

Spines: Thanks!

Mr Cake: When we found out it was your birthday, we couldn’t resist trying out a new recipe: sapphire. (holds up a sapphire cupcake)

Spines: WOW.

She grins massively. Upon leaving, she waves to Mr and Mrs Cake.

Spines: Thanks a bunch! (looks at the cupcake) Man, first I get a bunch of great presents from all my best friends, and then a brilliant sapphire cupcake! What a day!

She crashes into somepony and falls, but catches the cupcake with her serpentine tongue. Then she notices a dizzy Cherry Lee, groceries strewn everywhere.

Spines: Oh my gosh. I’m so sorry, Cherry Lee!

Cherry Lee: (head stops spinning) That’s okay, Spines. What’s got you so excited?

Spines realises she would have to put the cupcake down in order to help him pick up the groceries, so she shrugs and shoves it in her mouth.

Spines: (muffled) Bubble Berry told me I should go see the Cakes, ‘coz they had a special surprise for me ‘coz it was my birthday.

Cherry Lee: Oh, happy birthday, Spines! I wish I had something to give you. Hang on... (digs around in the bag and pulls out a fez – because they’re cool – which he places on Spines’ head) Here you go.

Spines: Wow. Really?

Cherry Lee: Of course! Everypony should get fun gifts on their birthday. (Spines hugs him, then he walks away) Have a great day!

Spines: (admiring the fez) I wish every day was my birthday.

She continues walking through Ponyville. Behind her, Harpsy and Babar are having a conversation, but are interrupted by Dopey Hooves popping up out of a nearby well.

Spines: Bubble Berry mentions my birthday to the Cakes, and I get an epic cupcake. I mention it to Cherry Lee, and I get this cool fez.

She notices a young filly playing with a ball.

Spines: (evil eyes) I wonder... (to the filly) Hey there, Lickety Split, that’s a pretty neat ball, you’ve got there! Did I happen to mention it’s my birthday?

The filly smiles. Later, Spines is walking through Ponyville bouncing the ball and snickering.

Spines: This is unbelievable! (sees Junebuddy drinking from a fountain, and walks over to him chuckling) Hey, Junebuddy! It’s my birthday! (holds out claws expectantly)

Junebuddy: (missing the point) Oh, happy birthday, Spines.

Spines: (disappointed) Aren’t you going to give me something, like a present?

Junebuddy: Well, I don’t have anything.

Spines: What about your flowers? (leering over the flowers) I’ll take those.

Dusk: SPINES!

He drags her back by the ear.

Dusk: Sorry about that, Junebuddy. I think Spines might have got a bit carried away.

Junebuddy: Oh, no harm done. Happy birthday Spines! (leaves)

Dusk: (to Spines) What the hay do you think you’re doing? What are you, demanding gifts now?

Spines: (shakes her head) Wow. You’re right, Dusk. I don’t know what got into me. Thanks a bunch for snapping me out of it. (takes off the fez) I guess I’d better give Cherry Lee his fez back, too.

Dusk: (smiles) No problem. See you at home later?

Spines: Sure thing. Bye!

She waves at Dusk until he’s out of sight, before putting the fez back on and sniggering.

Spines: Who else has a gift for Spinesy-winesy? (hisses)

Next morning, Dusk wakes up and pulls himself out of bed.

Dusk: Wow, what a rough night’s sleep, Spines. I had the weirdest dre-

He stops in mid-sentence when he sees that Spines’ bed it buried under a massive pile of assorted objects.

Dusk: (removing the stuff) I can’t believe you! Where the hay did you get all of this- *gasp*

Spines, still wearing the fez and clutching the ball, has more than doubled in size. She yawns and hisses at the same time.

Spines: Wha... What happened?

Dusk grits his teeth anxiously.



(commercial)



Spines: What’s happening to me, Dusk? (tries to prise the fez off her head)

Dusk: (searching through books) How am I supposed to know? Think back to last night. Did something weird happen?

Spines doesn’t seem to hear him. Having finally prised the fez off her head and examined her oversized claws, she notices that everything in the library seems to be incredibly compelling, except for Dusk, who breaks her from her daydream.

Dusk: Spines? (she shakes her head) What did you do after I saw you?

Spines: (fixes her gaze on a globe) Well, I went to talk... to...

She approaches the globe.

Dusk: SPINES! (yanks it away) You went to talk to who?

Spines: Huh? Um... I don’t remember. Hey, can I have that globe? You’re not using it, are you?

Dusk: You wh- huh?

Spines grabs the globe and carries it up into her pile of stuff, and then appears holding the book Dusk was going to give her as a birthday present.

Spines: What about this book?

Dusk: (teleports onto the heap and levitates the book) Spines, I’m worried. You’re usually not so... grabby.

Spines: (snatches the book away) My arms aren’t usually (voice drops to a more adult, woman-like tone) this long either. (claps her claws to her mouth in shock) What’s happening to me?

Dusk: Hmm... (hoof on chin)

Later: Dusk has brought Spines to the local doctor’s office. She is sitting on the table swinging her legs nervously, and every so often reaches for a bowl of sweets, which is cause for Dusk to slap her claw away. The doctor enters.

Horse M.D: Well then, what seems to be the problem?

Dusk: This is Spines. (slap) And something’s wrong with her. (slap) She used to be half this size. (slap) And she keeps trying to steal things that aren’t (slap) hers!

Horse: (raises an eyebrow) Okay then, let’s just take a look. (patronizing, foal-like voice) Wittle girl not feewing to good? (examines Spines) Who’s a bwave wittle girl, huh? Who’s a bwave one?

A tap on Spines’ knee causes her to belch flame into the doctor’s face.

Dusk: So, uh, what’s the diagnosis?

Horse: Well, I think I’ve deduced what the problem is. (Dusk leans forward in anticipation) She’s a DRAGON!

Dusk: You think I haven’t noticed that? And for the record, she’s been a dragon her whole life.

Horse: That would definitely explain a considerable amount. Look, I haven’t got a clue about dragons: my field is baby ponies. My suggestion? Try a vet.

Dusk: (Spines nicks the sweet bowl) *sigh* Alright. Thanks anyway.

Later: Dusk and Spines are at a vet’s office, and the vet is giving Spines, sitting on a table, a once-over.

Manes Goodall: Gotta tell ya, I’m stumped. You bring me a dog, I’ve got it diagnosed in seconds – a snake even faster – but (turns to Dusk) to be honest, I’ve never even seen a dragon before today. (pats Spines on the head) Who’s a good girl? Who’s a good girl? Sit.

Spines sits, panting like a dog, and the vet gives her a dog biscuit which she adds to the sweet bowl.

Dusk: Fair enough. C’mon Spines.

Later: Dusk has brought Spines to Zircon’s hut. The zebra squeezes the dragon’s head, which squeaks for some reason, then dangles a watch in front of her nose which she makes a grab for. He waves one of her arms, and the other flicks up and hits Dusk in the face.

Zircon: Ooh, she is starting to mature. Of this fact, I am quite sure.

Dusk: Mature? (reassured) So she’s just growing up? But how does that explain why she keeps grabbing stuff?

Zircon: A dragon’s heart is prone to greed: a steady diet to make growth speed. (tips some illusion powder into his cauldron – it swirls to resemble Spines) Then, the resulting bigger size only makes their hunger rise. If this trait should go unchecked (the image of Spines grows to resemble her current shape as stuff is added to it) if Spines continues to collect more growth will certainly occur. (the green stuff becomes the face of a jack-o-lantern like thing) She is going to become a monster!

Dusk: What? You mean the more junk a dragon collects the bigger they get? How the hay am I supposed to stop that before she goes crazy?

Zircon: If her monstrous ways you wish to impede, you must prevent her from practising greed.

They look around: Spines is gone, along with the entire contents of Zircon’s hut. Dusk grins nervously. He hurries back into Ponyville, and sees an enlarged Spines trying to pull Scooteroll’s scooter away from the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

Applebuck: Get away from him, you bitch!

Spines: (deepened voice) Spines want!

Scooteroll: You’re not getting my scooter!

Spines: Spines WANT!

Panicking, Dusk looks around, and grabs a nearby broom.

Dusk: Hey Spines! Check out this awesome broom!

Spines: (letting go of the scooter and getting even bigger) SPINES WAAANT!

Dusk leads her back to the library.

Dusk: C’mon, big girl! Come and get the wonderful broom!

Spines tries to follow him into the library, but her enormous body gets wedged in the door. She pulls herself out and makes a leap for the broom.

Spines: SPINES WAAAAAANT!

She dives right through a door into a different part of the library, and Dusk slams it closed and leans against it to keep her in.

Dusk: You can fight all you like, Spines, but I’m not gonna let you out.

The room goes suspiciously quiet, and Dusk opening the door reveals that Spines has piled all of the books into a heap and is lying protectively on top of them.

Dusk: Ugh, Spines! I literally JUST reshelved this room!

He removes the books and shuts the door again, but after that there is an almighty crash.

Dusk: What now?

Investigation reveals that Spines is gone, having knocked a hole in the wall to escape. Dusk stares at it in horror. Elsewhere, at Sweet Apple Acres, AJ is examining his barren trees in bewilderment.

AJ: Now who in Ponyville would want to steal mah apples? Fer that matter, who the hay would want to steal all mah leaves?

Dusk: (running into view) Applejack, help! Spines is running wild and I need you to lasso her!

AJ: (laughs) Ha! That’s a good one, Dusk. Sweet little Spines, running wild!

As he chuckles, Spines runs past clutching a massive heap of AJ’s apples and leaves, some of which drift loose. Two of them land on AJ’s face, giving him a leaf moustache.

AJ: (flatly) Dusk. Get my rope.

Dusk and AJ charge at Spines with the rope clutched in their teeth, but when they leap at her she ducks at a critical moment, and the two ponies are wrapped around a tree and end up bound to it. Spines takes the opportunity to roar in their faces before running away.

Dusk/AJ: HELP!

Luckily for them, Blitz is flying over and dives down to investigate, but when he sees Dusk and AJ tied to the tree, he falls down laughing.

Blitz: Don’t tell me you... you tied yourselves up? HA!

AJ: (Dusk struggles) Git us outta here Blitz!

Butterscotch: (out of sight) *screams*

AJ: Who was that?

Blitz: Sounded like Butterscotch to me.

After Dusk and AJ have been freed, the three colts hurry to Butterscotch’s cottage.

Dusk: Butterscotch, are you here? Butterscotch!

Butterscotch: I’m up here!

He’s clinging to a high branch in a very, very tall tree with several squirrels huddled on his back.

Dusk: Are you okay? What happened?

Butterscotch: (nervous wreck) I-I was-was helping m-my squirrel friends... with a dance step... and a giant, rampaging d-d-dragon stormed through!

Dusk: Hate to tell you, ‘Scotch, but that giant rampaging dragon was Spines.

Butterscotch: Spines? But-but why would Spines steal my chicken coop? (all that’s left is some nails stuck in the ground) She just yanked it out of the ground and filled it with a bunch of leaves and stuff!

Berry: (out of sight) *screams*

Blitz: THAT sounded like Bubble Berry!

At Sugarcube Corner, Berry is pelting Spines with assorted baked goods and confectionary.

Berry: Back! Get back, you cur!

He throws a pie at Spines – she catches it and adds it to her horde. The other colts arrive.

Dusk: Berry, why are you giving her cake? It’ll only make her worse!

Berry: (cake in each hoof) I’m not giving her cake! I’m assaulting her with cake! LET (throws cake) HER (throws cake) EAT (throws cake) CAKE!

Spines grabs each cake and simply adds it to the stuff she’s already gathered.

Berry: How DARE you take the cake!

The colts stare in horror as Spines erupts through the roof, and walks away with the chicken coop held in her tail.

Dusk: Buck it; she’s completely out of control. We’ve got to stop her before she steals somepony she shouldn’t!

AJ: Ya mean someTHING she shouldn’t.

Dusk: I know what I mean!

The colts wear faces of extreme worry – except Berry, whose face is of complete shock as AJ drags him by the tail out of the ruins of Sugarcube Corner. Meanwhile, unaware of the current events, Elusive is trying out his latest cloak.

Elusive: Hmm, perhaps a little less ruffle. Would not want ponies believing I’m a mare.

He pauses when he sees Spines’ eye at the window, which smashes as she reaches through for the screaming unicorn.



(commercial)



An air-raid type siren starts to wail, but Spines rips it out of the ground to add to her horde. She stamps on a cart, rears back and roars, now a fully grown draconic monster, and ponies everywhere run away screaming. Elusive, clutched in Spines’ curled tail, screams the loudest of all. She seizes the water tank from the tower, empties it in the middle of the town square, and uses it to contain her growing horde.

Elusive: Put me down RIGHT now.

Spines roars in his face, sculpting his hair anime style.

Elusive: (sarcastically) Nice.

Butterscotch: (flying past with Blitz) Stay calm, Elusive. We’ll sort this out!

Blitz: (right next to Spines’ head) Put him down RIGHT NOW!!

Butterscotch: (on the other side) If-if, you know, you wouldn’t... mind!

Blitz: I mean it, you monster!

Butterscotch: We-We’d be ever so thankful if you’d be so kind as to possibly consider-

Blitz: DROP HIM, SCALY!!

Spines starts swatting at them with her tail, still clutching Elusive.

Elusive: Hey! I’m – not some – sort of common – fly swatter!

Blitz and Butterscotch get tangled in Elusive’s flying cloak, which tears off, and they fall screaming into the river, quickly resurfacing.

Elusive: Boys! (sees the torn fabric) My cloak!

The dragon starts stomping away.

Blitz: Look! The Wonderbolts!

Three of the Wonderbolts soar overhead: they dip down low and swerve up, shaving off the spines on the back of the dragon’s neck. She starts climbing the nearby mountain, with Elusive still screaming raucously, when the Wonderbolts come in for another go. This time, one of them shaves the spines off the top of her head.

She looks around, and sees a cave up above. Upon reaching it Spines empties her horde into it and leans against it protectively – the Wonderbolts try a third frontal assault, but Spines catches them in the empty tank and jams it into the side of the mountain before grinning and roaring triumphantly.

Elusive: Oh, will you shut up?

Spines: (turns to face Elusive)

Elusive: You think you have ANYTHING to be proud of? You steal everypony’s possessions (Spines makes “blah-blah-blah” motions with her claw) terrorize Ponyville and even go so far as to use me as a weapon against my own friends, which as awful as it sounds, I could almost understand, seeing as you’re a dragon, but THIS! (removes the ruined cloak, exposing his fire ruby brooch) THIS is a CRIME AGAINST FASHION!

Spines’ eyes widen as she sees the fire ruby. Elusive catches on and tries to hide it.

Elusive: Oh no. There is no way you’re getting THIS gemstone! This was given to me by my dear friend Spinesy-winesy, the kindest most generous little dragon I know. (Spines’ eyes widen further) And it is far too precious for me to surrender to a huge greedy fiend such as you!

As Spines looks into the fire ruby, it triggers a flashback of her giving it to Elusive (from her point of view):

Spines: Here Elusive, (gives him the gem) it would mean more to me to see you happy... than to eat it myself.

Elusive: (takes the gem) I don’t know what to say. This is just... so generous!

He kisses Spines on the cheek, and the flashback ends. The modern day Spines shakes her head.

Elusive: (as Spines writhes) Oh what is it now? Are you going to eat me or something?

Spines suddenly shrinks down to her ordinary size, leaving her and Elusive in midair.

Elusive: Spines? YOU’RE the giant rampaging dragon?!

Spines grins nervously, and then both of them start falling, screaming all the way.

Berry: (watching through binoculars) Somepony DO something!

Blitz: On it!

He grabs Butterscotch, and then both of them swoop down, snatch the torn cloak from the river and start zooming towards the falling pair.

Spines: Elusive, I-I have to tell you something. Just in case we don’t make it!

Blitz and Butterscotch continue flying, but it looks like they may not reach them in time.

Spines: I’ve always had a sort of a crush-

Elusive puts a hoof to her lips, eyes watering with an understanding smile, and Spines smiles too as she realises he already knows. Just as they are about to hit the ground, they are caught in the cloak by Blitz and Butterscotch, carried to safety and set down surrounded by their friends.

Butterscotch: We... We did it!

Blitz: Meh, I could do it whenever.

Spines walks away and sits on the railing of the nearby bridge. She holds up a claw, comparing it to one of her massive footprints, and Elusive approaches from behind.

Elusive: Spines, I just want you to know how proud I am of you.

Spines: Why are you proud of me?

Elusive: Because it was you who stopped... well, you from destroying Ponyville. You are my hero, Spinesy-winesy.

He kisses her on the cheek. Later, Spines is writing a letter to Lord Solaris while Elusive gives his friends the cloaks he has made.

Spines: (voice over) Dear Lord Solaris; today I learned a great lesson about friendship. See, you might think it would feel good to get loads and loads of stuff, but it doesn’t feel nearly as good as giving something special to somepony you care about. Well, I learned today that it truly is better to give than to receive, and that kindness and generosity are what lead to true friendship. And that’s more valuable than anything in the world. (finishes and signs the letter) Well, (looks at her framed cheek) almost anything.