• Published 9th Aug 2013
  • 491 Views, 9 Comments

The Legend of the Phantasm Kirin - ObeliskTheOwl



When an ancient evil re-awakens and makes its presence known among Equestria, it's up to Princess Twilight and her friends to stop it. But how can they fight what they cannot see?

  • ...
 9
 491

Chapter IV: The Heart Within All Things

Leviathan lay in the infirmary, breathing steadily. He was bandaged around his shoulder and on his clawless hands. He wasn’t conscious, but he was alive. Fluttershy was the one to assure his well-being.

Ripper and Titan entered the room. Once they sighted Leviathan, they rushed to his side. They were followed by Spike, the rest of the pony gang, and Celestia. Spike had told Ripper and Titan of the encounter with the Kirin, so they were well aware of Leviathan’s current situation.

“How’s he doing, Fluttershy?” Spike asked, still looking at Leviathan.

“He’s fine. He’ll make a full recovery.” Fluttershy said as she stayed near Leviathan’s head.

“This is the first time I’ve seen Leviathan like this. I’m gonna bug him about this forever,” said Ripper, who laughed slightly. His laugh was cut short at the sound of a weak growl.

“You… do that… and I’ll… make sure… to beat… you… into... hell.” Leviathan said, regaining consciousness. He couldn’t say things in his regular tone, but he wasn’t mute. His vision wasn’t recovered yet either.

“I guess the Kirin didn’t change your grumpy-pants attitude. We’ll win you over yet.” Pinkie Pie said with a smile, earning an annoyed groan from Leviathan. He rubbed his eyes, trying to get a good look at his surroundings. However, it was no use, and the bandages just irritated his eyes. Leviathan stopped and let his sight recover naturally.

Once Leviathan could finally see, he was mildly surprised at the castle’s infirmary. Dozens of clean white cots lined the room in rows and columns. Beside each bed was a polished wood end table with an empty glass. Each glass was held stationary by a cylindrical device. The end table also had an ivory lamp.

Leviathan shifted in the cot, feeling a built-in heater and two metal mechanisms. He assumed these added a sort of chair-like feature if he wanted to sit upright. The two items were controlled by a remote on the side of the cot. Yes, the infirmary was over glorified.

“I’m thirsty.” Leviathan said, pushing a green button. As the top side of the cot began to push up, he gazed at his glass. “Well? Who the hell’s going to fill the glass?”

“Hey, just cause you’re injured and weak doesn’t mean we’re your servants. Besides, we don’t need to fill the glass,” said Rainbow Dash, who was mildly irritated at Leviathan’s request. Leviathan growled, until he saw the glass fill with water. As Rainbow said, no one did anything.

As Leviathan lifted the glass, he inspected the bottom. There was a small hole, but nothing was leaking. He noticed that within the cylindrical compartment was a small tube. Gravity seemed to keep the hole closed, until one had their fill and set it back. Lowering the glass down to his mouth, he took a long, long drink. Finishing, he set his glass back down. He then turned to Spike.

“Neurotoxin, how long was I out for?”

“About an hour or so. If we had gotten to you any later, you would have bled out. Twilight got us here in time to get you patched up,” said Spike. Leviathan nodded slightly.

“You know, a ‘thank you’ would be appropriate for this situation,” said Rarity. Leviathan growled lowly.

“I don’t do ‘thank you’. I don’t thank anyone, let alone a group of ponies.” Rarity seemed appalled at his response, but Twilight stepped in before a lecture began.

“We’re just glad you’re alright,” said Twilight.

“Hmph, if you call this, ‘alright’.” Leviathan said as he cracked his neck.

“Ah don’t think there’s any need for that attitude right now.” Applejack said sternly. Leviathan gave a curt chuckle.

“You saved my life. Congratulations, or whatever. This changes nothing, pony. I’m a damn bounty hunter. I can have whatever attitude I want,” said Leviathan. Titan and Ripper looked at each other, understanding their partner’s view. After all, they were all bounty hunters.

“Leviathan, care to share what happened?” Spike asked, sitting down on a nearby cot. Leviathan turned his head away from Spike.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” said Leviathan. Ripper looked at Titan. The two exchanged looks and turned back to Leviathan.

“Boss, there’s nothing to be ashamed about. It was a Kirin, and all of us know how strong that thing can be.” Ripper tried to coax Leviathan, but nothing came from the onyx drake.

“Leviathan, we are bounty hunters, and we have a certain pride to uphold. However, we cannot wish to beat something we know so little about. Yes, we know how it got here and the power it possess. We’ve heard tales of the Kirin’s abilities, but we do not know its full capabilities. The princesses have only tasted phantasms, but you’ve experienced it in its entirety,” said Titan. Leviathan sighed and turned his head back to Spike.

“…I understand. I’ll tell you what I can remember. Take a seat, all of you. This might take a while. We can start from after I left the group."

"Once the ponies and Neurotoxin went their way, I decided to scout another area. I came into telepathic contact with the damned Kirin. We bantered before a mist covered my eyes and carried me away.

“That’s all? A mist covered you and then you got beaten? Pretty lame for a bounty hunter.” Rainbow Dash said, earning a grunt from Leviathan.

“The mist covered my eyes, so I wasn’t able to see where I was being taken. I knew I was moving, but I didn’t know where…”


The mist carried Leviathan, drifting for what felt like hours. Finally, the mist settled, allowing sight to the drake once more. Leviathan gazed at Everfree Forest. He turned back, but all he could see was rock. Inhaling, he took in the scent of the air.

“…I’m not in the mountains.” The obvious conclusion hit, wavering the bounty hunter slightly. Leviathan focused his attention back on the forest, only to be met with a large, purple cloud with two red eyes peering through. On instinct, Leviathan’s claws flashed out as he slashed at the cloud. A laugh became audible.

“Dearest Leviathan, you know better than to strike at air.”

“You’re right, but air can be frozen!” Leviathan dashed back, hitting his tail against the ground as he curved his head. Opening his jaw, he released a frosty blast. The frozen fury hit, incasing the cloud in an icy prison. Leviathan quickly dashed forward and slashed the ice, shattering it. His breathing was heavy, but he gained satisfaction at the sight of the broken ice.

“Pathetic. I’ll gather up your remains and deliver the shards to Celestia. I get my payment, and I can finally be free of this…” Leviathan approached the shards, “You know, for an omnipotent monster, I expected better.”

“And how can one be certain I am gone?” The shards began to levitate and gravitate into one place. As more ice was added, the crystals began to take form. Leviathan jumped back, growling.

“How can you still be alive?”

“There is much you do not know and much you will never be able to comprehend. I am no simple monster. I am no simple threat. You wish to know what I am?” The form of a massive unicorn stood before Leviathan, crimson eyes glaring at him, “I am a GOD.

“Even gods fall, Kirin.” Leviathan dashed forward once more, his claws aimed at the frozen form of the Kirin. Chuckling, the Kirin broke apart, evading Leviathan’s attack. The shards rebuilt behind the dragon. The Kirin’s horn lit up with azure sparks. As Leviathan turned around, he was struck by a bolt of lightning, sending him to the ground.

“You cannot win. None of you can win. The Royal Sisters may have trapped me once, but that shall never happen again. The new wielders of the Elements of Harmony will not prevail against the Phantasm Kirin, and neither will your fellow dragons.” Leviathan struggled to get up as the Kirin boasted. Quicker than the blink of an eye, the icy hoof of the Kirin pressed on the hunter’s chest.

“I… will… kil-” Leviathan was cut off as the hoof pressed down with tremendous force.

“How fitting that you die, just as your father and mother did before you.”

“I’m not dying today… I’M NOT DYING TO YOU!” Leviathan grabbed the Kirin’s hoof, digging his claws into the ice. The ice gave way and broke, allowing Leviathan to recover and get up. As the shards began to reattach themselves to the Kirin, Leviathan advanced, punching the beast in the chest and sending it flying. He ran forward, leaping into the air. He made contact with the flying Kirin, smacking it toward the earth with his tail. As it descended, Leviathan dived toward it, hitting the body once more and jumping up, forcing the Kirin to fall faster. With pure wrath in his eyes, Leviathan unleashed a large beam of ice, enveloping the Kirin in his cold fury.

Leviathan landed before the newly made tundra, catching his breath. Looking at the landscape, he couldn’t see the Kirin, but a pile of snow that lay in the center caught his eye. With claws prepared to strike, he cautiously approached the white mound. As he drew closer, the snow began to move. Swiftly, he lunged, placing his claw firmly in the center of the pile.

“Nothing. No body. No ice traces.” Leviathan walked off the snow pile. Gazing once more in the direction of the Everfree Forest, he located the Canterlot Castle. He was about to make his way back when a laugh was heard. Hesitantly, the hunter turned around, only to be met with a strong blow to his face, which knocked him down.

“You had hope, didn’t you? You had hoped I was gone; lost in the cold wrath of your relentless chill, but you forgot what I said. I am no mere monster. I am a GOD.Leviathan’s vision began to blur. The last thing visible was a pair of piercing, crimson eyes…


“Is that all you can remember?” asked Spike. Leviathan nodded.

“It is…” Leviathan’s voice trailed off, causing Celestia to question him.

“You’re lying. You remember more.” Celestia said, receiving a low growl as a response.

“Listen, ‘your highness’, I swear that’s everything.” Celestia shook her head. The draconic bounty hunter was hiding something more, and if they ever hoped to defeat the Phantasm Kirin, they had to know everything.

“Leviathan, I know you’re hiding something. You must remember more. Is it too difficult to recall?”

“…”

“While silence is golden, that will not help this situation. I assure you, we will not judge you.”
Leviathan sighed.

“You want to know how I got the hole in my shoulder, don’t you. Fine…”


"MOM! NO! YOU CAN’T GO! YOU CAN’T LEAVE ME AND DAD! PLEASE!” A small onyx drake cried as a white figure removed its horn from the chest of a larger dragon. With tears in his, the young drake cried, “Please don’t go…” Blood flowed from the puncture as the female dragon collapsed, giving a loud roar as she went down. The rain fell on the corpse as the thunder boomed in the background.

“YOU MONSTER! YOU DARE TREAD INTO FROST DRAKE TERRITORY, TRESPASSING ON OUR SACRED GROUND! YOU SLAUGHTER MY KIN AND NOW HAVE EVEN LAID MY LOVE ON DEATH’S BED! I WILL NEVER FORGIVE THIS, AND YOU SHALL PERISH FOR YOUR ACTIONS!” An even larger dragon declared battle on the white figure as the young drake watched through the tears.

“How quaint. You threaten to kill me, even after I killed your people. What makes you think that you’d be a match for me?” The figure laughed as it advanced, knocking the dragon back. Laughing once more, it released a barrage of thunderbolts from the prominent horn it adorned. The dragon stood no chance, and it died.

“Mom… Dad… Please don’t leave me alone…”


Leviathan turned away from the group. Spike was able to see a lone tear travel along the scar on his face. Turning back, the group could see the moisture on the hardened bounty hunter’s face.

“…it replayed that memory, over and over and over again. The Kirin spoke the truth. I did have something to fear. I did fear losing my parents. When it happened, I broke. I wished to die alongside them, but the Kirin let me live with it. I soon outgrew this fear, but another one took its place…” Leviathan focused on Ripper and Titan…


RIPPER! STAY STRONG! YOU BETTER NOT DIE ON ME!” Leviathan rushed to a scorched dragon. Titan was already examining the damage. Ripper had been stormed by lightning, and although the bloodlust of him was unbreakable, he stood little chance against the Kirin.

“Heh…” Ripper coughed up some blood, grinning, “I’m not dying on you, boss. I’m dying for you. My death won’t affect the mission that much…”

“Sh-Sh-Shut the hell up, Ripper… You are not dying at all. Not while I can still fight.” Leviathan said, lifting Ripper into his arms.

“Just leave me he-”

I SAID SHUT THE HELL UP!” Leviathan shouted. “We made a deal, remember? We may be bounty hunters, but we do not leave anyone in this group behind…” Ripper smiled.

“I… have to disobey…” Ripper began. “Now run, you cocky bastard… and don’t you die… on… me…” The chaotic dragon let out a final breath, and slumped into a lifeless position.

“…don’t leave us…”


“As strong as I am… I’m nothing without you two. Sure, I could pull off some jobs, but I’d be on death’s row every time. With you two, there was no such thing as death… So the thought of losing either of you to something I could’ve prevented…” Leviathan was unable to finish his sentence, for a certain red dragon was hugging him.

“Shut the hell up… Leviathan…” Ripper said, tears flowing from his eyes. Titan shifted his gaze to look at Celestia, tears forming in his own eyes.

“In his moment of weakness, the Kirin impaled him, but not to kill him. The Kirin wanted to toy with Leviathan a little longer. It wants to play with us all.” Titan said, fighting the urge to cry. It was at that moment everyone understood that beneath even cold blooded killers, lay a heart.

Author's Note:

Chapter IV Summary: After the gang rushes Leviathan to the infirmary, they want to know what happened. Reluctantly, Leviathan describes the events, and soon reveals even killers care about something.