• Published 5th Aug 2013
  • 1,443 Views, 43 Comments

A Bitter Heart: The Story of RedTails - RedStar76



When a young colt has lost all hope in himself and in the world around him, Will he be able to find happiness again through friendship? (A co-written story with APoeticHeart)

  • ...
2
 43
 1,443

Chapter 2: Waking up in Ponyville

After what felt like a very long and exhausting night, I start to stir awake as Celestia’s sun shines brightly through the window of the Golden Oaks Library. It was a pretty good idea of Twilight and her friends that I spend the night, so I could rest my injuries. To my unfortunate surprise, I was in worse shape than I had hoped to be, but still could be worse. Sometimes you never know when a hereditary healing ability can make life so much easier. Granted, the cuts and scrapes healed over night but my left hind hoof still aches quite a bit that I can't really ignore it, that on top of the fact that I still feel a little tipsy in the head just laying here. Although I do appreciate their concern for me, I wish they would just leave me alone, and let me continue my travels. I stare up at the ceiling, thinking how my travels started in the first place. My sister, I missed her, but can I honestly face her after what had happened? I sink down into the bed letting my mind go on it's own a drift in sea of past memories that seemed so... so empty now. I shake my head loose of those thoughts, knowing that now wasn't the time for looking back on anything. What is required of me is to stay focused on the here and the now.I let out a yawn as I can smell a captivating aroma coming from the library’s kitchen. Mm… whatever that is, it is making my mouth water. I carefully stand up, and stretch out each of my legs so I can trot into the kitchen to see what might be cooking. As I enter the kitchen I see a short, chubby purple dragon wearing an apron and chef’s hat.

“Good morning buddy. Breakfast will be done soon,” he gives me a sly smile, and goes back to cooking.

“Uh… hey there,” I rub the back of my head with a hoof, and look at him curiously. “Who are you?” He gives me a smirk. Hopefully he isn't like that brash, multicolored scatterbrain from yesterday.

“Oh, I'm Spike, Twilight’s best friend, and number one assistant.” He proclaims proudly, followed by giving me a slight curious look. “You must be Redtails. Twilight told me you were staying the night. It's really great to meet you.”
I give him a nod “It is good to meet you too Spike.” To my relief, he's nothing like that pegasus from yesterday. I think to myself out of the whole bunch, he seems cool and not one to bother me as much as the others, which I like a lot. This might not be so bad after all I think to myself.I turn to trot back into the den when I see Twilight trotting down the stairs.

“Oh, good morning Redtails. Did you sleep well?” She gives me a bright smile as she reaches the bottom.I nodded.

“Yeah… I slept well,” I give her a slight smile, and go sit down in the middle of the library. “Hey Twilight, whatever Spike is cooking in there, it sure smells good.” All things considered, traveling Equestria I've smelled many... interesting smells, either for better or for worse, but I really wouldn't be exaggerating if I said my mouth was watering from the very aroma.
She blushes and lets out a soft giggle

“Yeah, Spike can cook the best food around here in Ponyville. That is one of many reasons why he's my number one assistant.” Suddenly the dragon comes waddling in with three plates; carrying two with one in each claw, and balancing the third one on his tail.

“Good morning Twilight,” Spike said as he serves our plates to us, and sits down putting his plate in his lap.
My mouth begins to water, because he fixed hay cakes with pats of butter melting over the top of them, and dripping down the sides. Also, sweet sat syrup was poured over them, and he mixed blueberries into the batter it looks like, except he sprinkles his with crushed up gemstones.

“Gosh Spike, these hay cakes looks delicious. Thanks,” I can't help but thank the little dragon, because these hay cakes are to die for. Also, to wash it all down with, he got us each a glass of milk.

“It’s no big deal buddy. I always enjoy cooking for Twilight, and our friends.” He smiles proudly as he munches on his hay cakes. After we finish breakfast, it isn't long after until I see the other ponies from yesterday come trotting inside the library. Well, here we go again I think to myself. This time I see them carrying wrapped packages with them.
They greet me good morning as each of them hoof me their packages one at a time. Oh great. What are these supposed to be, pity presents? I let out a heavy sigh as I unwrap one package at a time.
I saw that Applejack brought me a homemade apple pie, and I have to admit that it looks yummy. Fluttershy gives me a sunflower with a red bow; hmm… that’s a plain gift. Next was Rainbow Dash who gave me a book with a mare on the cover with a black mane with matching tail, and light grey stripes. She tells me that her name is Daring Do, and that it's her favorite series of books... why do I care again? Rarity gives me the ridiculous gift of saddlebags the color of my coat. Well okay, they might not be all bad. Besides I can use them to collect stuff once I am able to continue on my way. The last one to give me something is that annoying pink pony, Pinkie Pie. She gives me a chocolate cupcake with red sprinkles, and a cherry on top, what is it with this pony and sweets? Although I swear if anything bad happens, I am definitely taking out the pink one first. I thank them for the gifts as Twilight asks them to join her in the kitchen. Hmm… I wonder what they could possibly need to discuss without me? Curiosity got the better of me, so I very quietly stand up, and trot close enough where I can hear them. They talk about writing a letter to Princess Celestia, and talking about taking me to see her. Well, it isn't like I have any choice. I know they won't take no for an answer because of their very apparent stubbornness to 'help me'. Besides, maybe this Princess Celestia pony will be more tolerable than these ones. I've heard her name come up alot in my travels, then again if you're a pony that can raise the sun, your name would be mentioned pretty often to.
I let out a heavy sigh as I go back into the den, and start reading this so called, 'Daring Do' book and wait for the day to slowly inch along. I sighed as I said to myself,

"With these crazy ponies, tails crossed that I make it out of this one alive."