• Published 21st Feb 2012
  • 5,808 Views, 308 Comments

Diary of a Ruler - Lamia



Thoughts of the sun princess.

  • ...
16
 308
 5,808

Entry 138 - Student

Today, something interesting happened for once. I was out visiting local art galleries as I do every five years or so to check on new works, when I saw a magical rainbow-colored shockwave in the sky. I have not seen one of those in centuries... It could only be caused by the act of a sonic rainboom. I have managed to be able to do the same in my spare time, back when I was a boisterous filly. I smiled and looked on with the rest of the crowd who stared in awe. It was quite a beautiful sight. I wonder who could have accomplished such a feat?

Not a minute later, there was a large crash; I looked up at one of the nearby buildings and saw what had happened. The head of an oversized baby dragon crashed through the roof of the magic academy. I dashed over to the school and went inside.

It was a young filly whose magic was cascading out of control. I could already sense that there were two ponies transformed into plants on the far side of the room, and the instructors on the left were trapped in a levitation bubble. I recognized her after a moment. It was Twilight Sparkle, the newest applicant to the magical institute that I directly sponsor; I remember seeing her picture in the application. I never imagined she would have this much natural magic power.

When I set my hoof on her to give her calm, she looked back at me, eyes ablaze with energy. That time... When she looked back at me, I felt something familiar that I had not in quite some time. The way she looked at me gave me a sense of soothing that made me smile. Perhaps it was because that I have not been so close to a filly for ages... The look of innocence in their faces brings me an unexplainable joy.

She calmed down completely and her sustained magic spells cancelled themselves. I was quite impressed with the amount of untapped potential she possessed. Not very many unicorns have so much magic, even in their prime years. I believe she had the ability to learn more, unlocking her magical talents. What was important, however, is how well she controls and uses it. I made an offer out of the blue, which seemed to surprise everypony in the classroom, including myself: To make her my personal magical student, and teach her myself.

When I mentioned this to my advisors in the palace earlier, they seemed even more shocked than Twilight Sparkle was. They questioned why I would do such a thing when I have more pressing matters to attend to, that I did not have time to deal with a student. I corrected them harshly, to which I apologized afterward. I have all the time in the world, and that as princess, I decided what is important: It is the opportunity to teach a student that I believe has great potential.