• Published 21st Feb 2012
  • 5,808 Views, 308 Comments

Diary of a Ruler - Lamia



Thoughts of the sun princess.

  • ...
16
 308
 5,808

Entry 0 - Cycle

This is my diary's first entry. I have not the slightest idea what to transcribe. Mother gave this book to me this morning, along with one to my sister. She said it was important to write about our lives as often as we could, even if there was seemingly nothing to write; earlier insights into my life could change events greatly in the future. I do not particularly understand her reasoning, but I will try and use this as much as I am able. Perhaps I will find I enjoy it. She mentioned that writing an entry just after my sister raises the moon is the best time, so here I am. Albeit, it is past midnight.

Auntie Luna finally told us about what was within the mysterious vault at the back of the castle: It contains Mother's many diaries. She said that I should only open it and read them when the two of us are confronted with an impossible situation that no amount of trying will be able to solve. I wonder now what kind of situation would lead us to desperation for help from Mother in that way, what sort of secrets the diaries hold, but I feel I will not be able to understand unless the time arises. It is best to be patient, I believe.

Today, Sis and I were once again guided through the necessary studies to become proper princesses. I honestly believe we can accomplish running Equestria on our own, now. I suppose we really do not have a choice, at this point... Mother and Auntie Luna left for the sky this afternoon. They shined with a blazing gold and blue respectively before shooting up to the heavens, leaving behind two sonic rainbooms high above the castle. They have done it before, but they said they will not be returning this time... However, they did note they would be watching over us.

I truly miss them already, and I am sure Sis feels the same. They taught us so much in these few centuries of being their daughters, although much of it I am not sure I understand. Mother told me that we will come to understand everything, given enough time... I will have to trust her judgement. She was so wonderful to me, as was Auntie Luna. Of course, they were wonderful to the both of us. I hope to learn as much as possible while I am princess alongside my sister.

Before they left, they gave us a set of jewels that they said represented the essence of love and harmony, a powerful magic beyond any we could know. They currently rest atop my desk in my study, and I can feel a kind of satisfaction emanating from them when I am near. I am unsure whether they are alive or not, but they seem... happy. Even I inexplicably feel more jubilant around them, myself; I hope to keep them that way. Mother said the magic of these jewels may be useful one day, should chaos return, but I do not know when it was here before. We shall see if it happens.

I come to wonder what more is in store for us in the future. Sis and I asked them why everypony around us were not living as long as we were, and they said that we had a purpose far too important to have a lifespan with an end. I tried to ask about what that meant, but they did not tell us, of course. Mother only smiled and said it must be found by ourselves, with the help of each other, or else I would not understand it. Once again, she was being enigmatic as ever. Sometimes it bothered my sister and I, but I knew that she knew best. I suppose we will have to see how everything turns out.

All of the questions itch at me so! I wish they had not left us with so many. There is so much I still want to learn from them, and I know Sis shares the same thoughts. All there is to do is to simply live out our days, now. Before they left, I asked why they had to leave us alone, but they said we will never be alone if Sis and I have each other. I am actually really glad to hear it. She is the best sister I could ever have.

There was an interesting event that I experienced just a few hours ago. I have come to visit the Canterlot Observatory again, in order to gaze at the stars. Astronomy is so fascinating! I just adore seeing what is out there, sparkling in the distance. Although, as I looked around through the telescope, I had seen something odd that did not match the many charts we have. There were two bright new stars in the sky, and they seemed to even be side-by-side. I reported this to some astronomers at the facility, to which they told me they had not seen them there until today. Since I found them first, they thought it was only right to let me name them for any and all future charts. What an honor, it is!

Even now as I write in this diary, I am in front of the telescope at present, making doubly sure I am not going mad by seeing two stars that were not there yesterday. I can see them now as clear as any other, if not moreso; they are the brightest in the night sky, close enough that they almost form into one. Normally, ones this close together would disrupt each other in major ways to the point that it is lucky they even exist, so I need time to understand anomalies such as this and others. Oddities and uniqueness like this within our vast universe are why this subject fascinates me so. At least I have one advantage in eternal life -- being able to observe the slow evolution of the cosmos -- and it is worth the wait to see such wonders.

In any case, I was given time to decide on their names. However, I believe I already have the perfect choice for them...

~ ~ ~

~ Fin ~

Comments ( 67 )

this fic is complete.
thanks for reading

And so the cycle begins anew. Hopefully these new princesses will learn from Celestia and Luna's mistakes and avoid the disaster that destroyed Equestria.

Overall, while I disliked the whole planetary genocide thing, and was bothered by Celestia's selfishness, I loved the story through and through. Good work.:twilightsmile:

742547
Hats off.
Great fic.


To what work of yours will you be turning your attention to now?

Actually. Should it be? I mean new voice means new question. Who is Celestia's 2 daughters? How old are they? What i'm reading suggests quite young. I would suggest a second dairy.

More importantly,who is their father? If there is one.

What are the fillies names?

I'm not really sure how to even rate this story. I didn't enjoy the morose nature of the latter half of the story at all, so I can't upvote it in good conscience. Likewise, there's nothing wrong with the story, so it doesn't deserve a downvote. I do think that you need to give some serious thought to the idea of this story's tags, however. "Slice of Life" by itself is not at all an accurate representation of this story's contents.

742636
I have two fics in the works I believe can go places
they're not posted as of this comment

The only real question this leaves me with is, if all such entities become stars at the 'end' of their lives... is Equestria's sun an ex-alicorn? O_o

742638
They claim Celestia as their mother, but Celestia found she couldn't have children when she was with Twilight. This implies she had to use creation magic to create these two young'uns - which is likely how her own mother created her and Luna.

^^ Ok i can see Celestia using creation magic to create her daughters.

One question is down. :pinkiesmile:

742785
I bet it's Faust

739593

I never fully understood that. As the spirit of Chaos, he wouldn't be leaving. He would be having the time of his life.

742850
Personally, and I don't think this was implied in-story so this is just my personal thoughts on the matter, I like to think he looked at the war-torn world, saw it was well on it's way to complete annihilation, and thought to himself, "Mission accomplished." Then went to bug Celestia and Luna for a bit, maybe to confirm that they weren't going to take action, before leaving to find another world to pester.

742850
I disagree. When all is dying, that's chaos, but when all is dead that's a sad harmony of its own.

742850

Not really. Sure, chaos every where... wonderful... minus the fact it's all going to be over. A dead world is quite boring if there isn't anyone to torment, don't you think?

There is one thing that I didn't get about this ending. What, exactly, is this new Equestria that the new princesses are ruling over? Did Celestia and Luna travel back in time to fix things, or did they simply wait through some sort of big crunch/big bang event for the universe to cycle back to this point? Did Celestia and Luna just create the whole thing from scratch?

So much spectacular win.

743005
The experimenting with conversion and creation magic in the last chapter was foreshadowing them re-creating Equestria from scratch in this one, just like their mother did before them, and in all likelyhood, they're mother's mother before her. I got that this is some kind of recurring cycle, each one adding something to the equation in it's attempt to correct the previous cycle's mistakes - their mother created two daughters, instead of one, so that they can keep eachother company (and even stated that they were the first to come as a pair). Celestia commanded her daughters to keep diaries right from the get-go so that they can more easily learn from their past mistakes, and left them her own diaries so they can even learn from her past mistakes if they ever need to. Who knows what happened before Celestia and Luna's mother?

la verdad que increible historia XD

I have to say it's a pity not to have found this sooner. Very nice, thought I do have to wonder what ever happened to a world that Discord had found. If he truly caused so much chaos, or decided to flip his hat to try it another way to create order and peace. Makes one think, no? I am very glad I took the time to read this and had such an interesting view over time from the Princess. While the love of Twilight and Celestia was rather short and came to a very sad end, the way you put her depression into perspective was nicely done. The slow descent into a...Solar Flare,Nightmare Moon for Celestia, was a very interesting. Never having thought of anything really like that myself. My hats off to you and I do plan on reading more of your interesting and riveting works.

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again." -Robert Jordan

So appropriate for this ending, also Celestia and Luna becoming a Binary star is awesome.

Wow, just, wow, mere words can't describe how good were this last two chapters. :raritystarry:
And that ending... :fluttercry:

743064
Ah. That makes more sense. Thanks.

742927

It would makes no diffence to Discord. To him: Chaos is Chaos, whether he made it happen or not. He's opportunistic. Trust me, He'll be taking advantage of Celestia's mistake that caused Equestia to go to hell. I'm not saying he won't leave, just saying he'll only leave when he gets bored with it, not because he gets sentimental.

If he does leave, it could be 3 days or 30,000 years.Like i said, depending on how bored he gets.

This was a very good read. The scale of this was pretty big. The comment about slice of life not being applicable is pretty accurate (at the very least in the latter parts of the story). Nevertheless, it was quite a ride.

742547

It is us, who should thank you for writing this amazing fiction.

Thanks. You deserve it all.

That was quite awesome, over all. Very nice ending to a very nice story.

Thank you for the story, it was very nice. :twilightsmile:

beautiful, absolutely stunning.
though it got a little depressing, this was well worth the read.
Thank you for this, Lamia

Man,Loved it.

Looking forward to your next story..

743005

Good questions on all points. I don't even know myself. I guess judging from we've read; she and Luna started from scratch because there no mention of a ablitiy to travel thru time.

But that leads another question: Depending on how time as passed between Celestia and Luna's arrival on Equestria to the rebirth and her daughters creation, wouldn't the "new"mortal ponies remember that they were born from creation magic?

Welp, this better mean there's a heaven, cause' I'm not sure I'm going to be able to sleep if Twilight and Celestia never reunite. Though- I'm not really sure what Celestia thinks of Twilight anymore.

747505

Celestia has accepted Twi's death in her heart.

Took her long enough. :derpytongue2: :rainbowlaugh:

Very nicely done! You really did portray the major flaw with immortality: ennui. It is a pity that Celestia in your fic doesn't get challenged enough to avoid sinking into impotence and depression. It was quite sad, and the portrayal of the relationship with Twilight was truly bitter-sweet. But it was also a very nice ending. Again, well done!

Very good, intriguing read.

Darling, that ending so much of this :raritystarry: and this :raritycry: at the same time. I don't understand it. Wonderful story, thank you dear

I'm a really big philophical guy. And a good portion of this has the stuff i ABSOLUTELLY flip-out about. :pinkiecrazy: Even if i'm not done i still want to read the rest its that good. Then again.... why am i reading a diary? :facehoof: If Celestia finds this were all doomed.:twilightoops:


Also for the sake of crying out for help. I NEED PROOF READERS! HELP!:duck:

742850

The problem with killing everything is that once you've done in everyone who could possibly figure out how to break thermodynamics, you've nowhere to go but entropy, which if you think about it is the single strongest force of order that exists.

A gratifying and hopeful end. The universe spins on. :pinkiesad2::heart:

This is spectacularly well done and wondrously beautiful. Thank you for this. I am left with several questions, though, especially after some of the previous comments.

742785
742926
742927
743064

Discord is never said to have a beginning, and he quite clearly isn't going to end anytime soon; so just what is he doing?
If every cycle of rebirth in Equestria is the previous ruler's attempt to correct the balance and create perfect never-ending harmony, then would it be safe to assume the very same Discord wrought chaos upon each incarnation?
If complete anihilation is his true goal each time, then why was he remorseful?
Just how did such forbidden magic come to exist in the first place?
If every alicorn was created by her predecessor, then who created the first?

From these questions, I come up with one particularly fascinating answer:

Discord created Equestria as well as the alicorns. He wishes to see if true everlasting Harmony can be born out of pure Chaos. Each time Equestria is reborn and nears this state of seemingly endless harmony, he "tests" it by injecting chaos into the world. With the destruction of each one, the alicorn(s) pass on the lessons of the past to the next in line before leaving to simply observe from afar; thus bringing Equestria one step closer to true Harmony.

What is his motivation? Who knows. Maybe he got bored with the rest of the galaxy and wanted to find out if it was possible. Perhaps he simply wants to play god.

My own hypothesis is that he's trying to find the balance. The opposite of Chaos isn't Harmony; it's Order. For true Harmony to exist, the forces of Chaos and Order must be in perfect balance. I think he's trying to find (create) a place he can truly call home.



Ok, that's enough nerding out for me. At least now.:twilightblush:

781373
it does seem plausible

Me Gusta :moustache:

mother of Celestia i think my brain just exploded o_o

786993
for the record, that story has correct grammar

Wonderfully executed. Thank you for writing this.

Philosophy. The one of the few driving forces of human imagenation. I have to say you wrote this quite well. But if you ever chose to write a full philosphical peice be sure to give some of my stuff a read through. :twilightblush: I find the entries Life and Exsistince to be two of the strongest. Each of us exsist for a reason. If we don't realise it then what are we really? :eeyup:

A good portion of the darker parts of what we have as an exsistince seems to be touched on VERY much. Choas and creation have been the most base of all forces in the univerce. However i've had a good amount of time to observe how they work out.:unsuresweetie: Now... call me a skeptic but i think most of the time both these forces are the most noticed but all others are not. What about balance? The univerce would fall into complete disarry if that one force wasn't in play.

Remarkable.

866702

It's not that the two necessarily go hand in hand, but more that stories featuring immortals tend to either set them up as gods with a deeper understanding of being and knowledge of things like that, set them up as beings who have already died and thus know what happens next, or ignore the topic of an afterlife completely. I was impressed that this story chose to address the question of an afterlife from the point of view of a character who will never experience it and also doesn't know the answer; it's an interesting combination of topic and perspective.

The cycle starts again...that realization is just simply amazing.

Wow
This story really got my emotions running wild.

Absolutely amazing.

Came across this story. Decided to take a look.

Now it's 3am, and I finished it in one sitting...

...

...

...

Don't regret a thing.

Login or register to comment