• Published 21st Feb 2012
  • 5,791 Views, 308 Comments

Diary of a Ruler - Lamia



Thoughts of the sun princess.

  • ...
16
 308
 5,791

Entry 526 - Sister

Sister, it is I, Luna. I have uncovered and am now writing in your diary for the sole fact that I cannot seem to seize your attention in any other way. In the months past, you dismiss my questions, my concern, and I will no longer stand for it. I have read your many entries throughout your life, and while it is invading your privacy, I have realized something about you. The way you look upon the world and judge others is selfish, despite your thoughts that they themselves are. I have noticed your change in emotion and mannerisms ever since that day; you have disconnected from the rest ever since Twilight.

For all of the time that you were in love, I made sure not to interfere so that you may enjoy your life. It is unfortunate that it has come to this, but I digress. Times change, and you certainly have. I realize that the state of the world is unflinching, and that at this rate, they will destroy themselves. However, it is no reason for you to give up. The Princess Celestia that I knew a thousand years ago would never have let it get this far.

It is appalling, what you have done, or should I say, the results of the lack of your action. I see you giving no second glance to the downtrodden that appear on our doorstep, dooming them to a life of misery. The number of executions have increased, creating a subtle, but widespread fear amongst the citizens of Canterlot. How can you sit by and do nothing?

Do not think I do not notice your changes. I watch you closely every day, and you are empty. You no longer have the care for ponies that you once had, and everything that you do is affecting the world as a whole. The war continues on, and you do nothing to halt its progress. I realize that you have had depressions before in the past after losing other ponies, but you seem to have broken yourself over her, and everypony else may suffer for it.

Your emptiness is reflected in the ponies under us as you appear before them. The lack of compassion creates hopelessness, undermining the harmony that we once worked hard to achieve. I can no longer cover for your mistakes and inaction, Sister. Do you not remember your promise? Of all things, this is not who you are.

Ever since what happened, you escape into your diary and write about your thoughts, never looking to another for personal discussion. Debauchery under the guise of who you were with Twilight is becoming commonplace, giving you regret. I have watched you gaze blankly at Twilight's flask for hours at a time and attempt to converse with it, as if she were still alive through the last echo of her existence. We do not have such magic, Sister. I cannot stand by and watch as you go mad.

I have noticed your mane and tail losing their color, dulling in the light, and it becomes more and more orange each day. Whenever you are nearby, I sense a bitterness and the fire of envy burning within you, and I know this feeling all too well. You remember, do you not? For one thousand years I had no connection with another, no love or affection. Can you imagine what that will do to your mind?

However, unlike you, I will not simply lock you away so that I do not have to deal with you. Unlike you, I will not be selfish and think for what is best for myself. I will do everything I can to help you and your state of mind, for I will not abandon you. Do you remember what Mother said to us? We were the first to come as a pair. I believe this is the reason why; we need each other.

There is no need to ignore me any longer. I am here for you, Sister. You are not alone.