• Published 15th Aug 2013
  • 626 Views, 3 Comments

The Darkness Within - Eclipse Blackblood



A psionicly gifted human, a unicorn spy, and a changeling prince have to work together to fullfill contradictory goals.

  • ...
12
 3
 626

Sigil

Sigil, the City of Doors, ruled by the enigmatic "Lady of Pain." The one place in the entirety of the Planescape with no discrimination. Sigil is the one place in all of reality where an angel and a demon can be seen making polite conversation over tea. We know, because we were there.


Erganthar was the only earth archon that's driving purpose wasn't causing destruction at the behest of a primordial or evil spell caster. No, Erganthar's main purpose, ever since the Lady of Pain summoned it to Sigil was orienting newcomers to life in Sigil, no matter how temporary their stay. And this strange being that was lying on it's back in the middle of the room, clearly unconscious, was definitely a newcomer. It had clothing it's lower body, and a gray cloth that was tattered on one side covering it's head.

This newcomer was different then any other being in Sigil. It was covered in black chitin plates on it's upper body, and possibly the lower body too, but Erganthar couldn't tell. Clothing tends to get in the way of the sense of sight. It had three dark aqua-green stripes on each side of it's neck, and four chevrons, point downward, on the front of it's torso. It's forearms and hand had holes arranged almost like a pattern that was unique to each side. It was hairless as far as Erganthar could tell, and had no discernible location where it could have had any. It's physiology suggested it was an aberrant being, but until what nature of being it is was determined, it was Erganthar's problem.

And with such a strange body, Erganthar didn't want to think of what was going on in it's mind.


Patrick was sitting there, under a tree that wasn't there, as he always did when he was sleeping. Only this time he wasn't sleeping, he was unconscious because of pain. He was on the psionic plane, free to wander into the minds of those nearby, and possibly learn more about his situation. The only reason he remained in his mind was he wasn't alone.

An aqua-green unicorn with a navy-blue mane and tail was fighting a changeling a short distance away. Or, they would have been fighting, if their magic worked.

Patrick couldn't help but smile as the raced to cast the first spell, hoping off the other before having to worry about a retaliation. "I better stop them before they hurt themselves," his psionic form said under it's breath. "That's not going to work here," he called out to them, his voice amplified by his will. "Only psionics work here."

"What in Celestia's name are psionics?" The unicorn demanded.

"What type of creature form the bowls of Tartarus are you?" the changeling at least sounded calm.

"Tell me your names first, then i'll answer your questions in the order received."

"Why should we listen to you?" Cocky unicorn Patrick noted.

"Well for one, you're trespassing in my mind."

"Why's everything gray?" the changeling asked, it's tone almost mocking. "I'd expect a demon's thought to be about something, I don't know, destructive."

"I won't answer any more questions until you two tell me your names."

"Fine, you stubborn ape-like demon thing, I am Nurel, prince and general of the changelings."

"Okay, Nurel. And you?"

"Why do you care what my name is?"

"Would you like me to make up a name for you?"

"That depends what have you got?"

"Inkar Thromfdan."

"What does that even mean?"

"It's Itharnic for 'Stubborn Shit-head'."

"My name's Black Cross."

"Okay then. Now to answer your questions," Patrick stood up and walked toward them, "Psionics are simmilar in effect to magic, but are a totally different force. I am not a being from Tartarus, or any other hell, I am a human. And the reason everything is grey is we are in the far outer reaches of my mind, in the area that my thoughts intersect with the psionic plane, so I have no control over appearances here, except for my own."

I have come to the conclusion that we all died, and have been forced into one physical form by some arcane anomaly, most likely being teleported to the exact same location at the exact same time. That would, in fact, make this the location where our consciousnesses meet with each other, and the psionic plane. And now that therory is about to be put to the test."

Before Black Cross or Nurel could ask what he meant, Patrick smiled knowingly and explained, "We're waking up."


Erganthar merely watched as the creature on it's office floor began to move. It sat up, with a slight groan, and the cloth covering it's head slid off. It had two fangs, and appeared to have a form of flexible chitin covering it's head. It's ears were similar to those of a half-elf, but slightly larger. It had slightly tattered-looking insect-like wing, which were an orange-gray. "Where, am I?" It asked.

"You are in Sigil," Erganthar answered, it's gravely voice echoing in the quiet room, "I am to explain the rules of the city, and determine what form of being you are."

"Sigil?" The newcomers eyes shot open, which were the same color as it's wings, and without a pupils.. "As in the Sigil? The City of Doors?"

"Yes, that Sigil."

"Well, that explains why you have a desk job."

"May I resume my task?"

"What? Oh, sorry."

"Sigil has only three rules. They are as follows; First, no provoking conflict between any inhabitants or guests of Sigil, including yourself. Second, no stealing items that belong to any other being. And third, do not attempt to aid a being imprisoned in a maze."

"How exactly are those rules enforced?"

"Depending on the severity of which the rule was broken the punishments in acted are; ejection from the city to the nearest plane, ejection from the city into the void, or, imprisonment in a maze."

"What if a being imprisoned in a maze is good at solving mazes?"

"The city itself is sentient, and the mazes are endless. The only ways out of the mazes are death or returning to your home plane."

"If the mazes are endless, how would you return to your home plane?"

"I am unsure of exactly how that works. Now to determine what form of being you are."

"Your guess is a good as mine."

"Your physiology suggests an aberrant being. I am unsure of psychology and past experience, both of which are required to complete classification."

"So, you want me, to tell you, my life story?"

"That is the nearest approximation possible."

"Get comfortable, this is going to take a while."


In three hours we summed up our lives, each of us controlling our shared body for while we told our own story. Black Cross sounded like he was paying as much attention to the world around him as to his story, but he was able to recount his life in amazing detail. Nurel sounded cocky and arrogant, and took the most time out of the three of us. They agreed that I sounded scared and confused the whole five seconds it took me to tell my story. I only took five seconds because of my telepathic abilities. Black cross used illusions of the different ponies he encountered. Nurel just wouldn't shut up.


"Psychology suggests aberrant," Ergathar said when it was sure they had finished recounting their pasts. "Past experience suggests undead."

"So, what race does that mean we are now?" The being's consciousness that identified itself as "Patrick" was speaking again.

"Race that best matches is 'Revenent'. Classification that best matches abilities and skills is 'Warlock'."

"And what about my psionic abilities?"

"Due to psionic abilities, sub-classification 'Wild Talent' is included in you information. With all due consideration made, you would do well as an adventurer."

"Before we can be an adventurer we would need to practice, and Sigil doesn't exactly sound like the ideal locale for the practicing."

"After you have acquired all necessary equipment the city will guide you to the ideal location for you to hone your skills. You can find all the equipment you need in the chest behind you."

"But there's no chest," Patrick said as he turned around, but to his surprise, sure enough, there was a chest behind him. "But it wasn't there."

"You will only find the necessary equipment in that chest. Armor, weapons, a training manual - or in your, unique case, manuals - A modest sum of wealth, several basic healing potions, and a basic supply kit for general purpose use. You are not required to take all of the equipment provided, but it is strongly recommended."

"Is everything in the supply kit labeled?"

"No, but the individual pieces of equipment are named and detailed in the manuals."

The newly drafted adventurer went eagerly about retrieving and donning the equipment, and and was obviously pleased by the aesthetics. "The three of us agreed that we like the way the armor and dagger look. Did the city generate the appearance based on our pasts?"

"Yes, a semi-Gothic style was determined to be well suited to your tastes. You are now an emissary of Sigil in the Planescape. You will find instructions for your task on a scroll with your supplies."

Patrick braced himself, and stepped through the door that suddenly appeared where the chest had been. As they fell through the void, being whisked along by the energy from Sigil, their destination came into sight. A destination that was familiar to them all.


Character Creation complete.
Race: Revenent

Features:

Past Lives: Human (bonus psionic ability), Unicorn (bonus starting spell), Changeling (Spider Climb(constent effect))

Racial Abilities: Dark Reaping, Unnatural Vitality, Death's Blessing
Class: Warlock

Features: Eldritch Pact (Star pact), Eldritch Blast, Prime Shot, Shadow Walk, Warlock's Curse

Pact Benefits: Dire Radiance(Pact Spell), Fate of the Void(Curse Effect)

Class skills: Arcana, Bluff, History, Insight, Intimidate, Religion, Streetwise, Thievery
Character Statistics:

Strength: 8

Constitution: 17

Dexterity: 10

Intelligence: 18

Wisdom: 12

Charisma: 17
Abilities:

Spells: Dire Radiance, Eldritch Blast, Dreadful Word, Vampiric Embrace, Armor of Agathys

Psionics: Telepathy, Telekinesis, Mind link, Mental Probe, Chameleon Power, Psionic blast
Inventory:
Leather armor, +1 Pact Dagger, Adventurers kit, Training manuals, Instructional scroll