• Published 31st Jul 2013
  • 853 Views, 9 Comments

Fading Light - Cabral095



Temptation, it happens to everypony, even a Princess. They were just dreams she told herself.

  • ...
3
 9
 853

Chapter 2 - Engulfed

Chapter 2 - Engulfed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“All of the magic, gone?” Applejack questioned.

“Is that possible?” Rainbow Dash interjected.

“It began long ago when Luna and I were young. Equestria was but an infant.”

The grand alicorn sighed as she guided her way past the colorful equines that filled her grand halls. The sun shone brilliantly through the stained glass windows, and each illuminated a different story. Only one, however, caught Celestia’s eye. It was towards the entrance of the hall; a grand scene decorated the hued glass. A large stone graced the center of its frame, and it appeared to envelope an orange unicorn. The unicorn had a mass amount of magic dispelling from his horn. Behind him stood Celestia, casting down a spell that created the gray stone.

Applejack and the others joined the princess.

“Who’s that princess?” The orange mare asked.

“A unicorn back when Luna and I had begun to rule Equestria. He was so young.” She sighed. “...So scared.”

~~~~~

“Help me.” The voice pleaded.

The never ending black had consumed Twilight once more. Images flung past her, swirling and circling just in front of her. She watched as the images culminated into one; the stone.

“What are you?” She asked.

Silence befell the black void. Her eyes carefully watched the strange stone, glancing over its smooth surface. No carvings, no molds, nothing peculiar stood out on the stone. The eerie gray surface was almost glossed, reflecting Twilight and the surrounding darkness. Placing a hoof on the stone, it was warm to the touch... as if it were alive.

An ear shattering scream rang from behind her, causing her body to jolt and turn. She spotted an orange unicorn. His screams echoed in the darkness, his horn aglow, his hooves wrapped around his skull. Images from seemingly out of nowhere assembled from hearing his call. Each circled the stallion in an almost melodic fashion, flashes of the past flickered onto the floating pictures.

Twilight could do nothing but watch on as the stallion was tormented, her body was frozen in time and space. Images were catching Twilight’s eyes. One showed ponies running, fleeing from a unicorn. Another of Canterlot, ablaze. The stallion continued to scream from his torture, his never ending past replaying in his mind. He was crying. The bloody yells dispelling from his body shattered a few images, only to have them be replaced by new ones. The pictures flashed to white and back a few times. It was then that he passed out. His horn cracked and the images fell, shattering into pieces like glass.

“Help.” The stone called out. “Only you Twilight Sparkle. Set me free.”

“Bury it.”

Twilight turned to the voice. Celestia. Looking around her, the castle had once again appeared. The large columns, stained glass windows, and guards all around bowing to Celestia. The stone stood in the center of the room.

“Your highness?” Questioned the guard before Celestia. His helmet had been removed and his black mane sat high atop his brown coat.

“Bury the stone in the Everfree Forest. I don’t want anypony finding it.”

Rising, the guard saluted Celestia, and with a nod the rest of the guards in the room followed suit. Three used magic to carry the stone as the doors slammed, shaking the grand walls. One by one the columns fell, surrounding Twilight, black enveloping her being. The castle and guards had gone, however, Celestia had remained. Her gaze looked past Twilight.

“No more.” She looked to Twilight and whispered, “No more.”

She fell. Celestia vanished in a puff of smoke and Twilight hit her bed. Steam rose from the sweat that had beaded upon her brow. The chill of the room latched to her form. Her window was open. Sporadically closing and opening her eyelids, the purple mare looked out her window. Shutting her eyes, she pressed her hoof against her head. The throbbing was more intense this time.

I hope Celestia responds soon… I have to find out what this is.

Quietly leaving the warmth of her bed, Twilight walked towards the open window and looked outside. The crescent moon smiled to her, greeting her with a gentle breeze. The coolness of the morning soothed her mind and eased her muscles. Exhaling a sigh, the mare looked past the sleeping town to the forest just beyond its borders. The dawn was soon to come, and with it, hopes of an answer. Twilight, however, was thinking of finding her own answer.

Retreating back inside, she shut the window and walked down the stairs. A purple hue filled the downstairs floor, guiding Twilight to the door. She obtained her pack, robe, a map, quill and a piece of parchment to take notes with.

I’ll just look around for a bit. She assured herself, I should be back in time for Celestia’s reply.

The creaking door gave way to Twilight’s magic, allowing the cool air to enter her home. She shut the door shortly after and trotted towards the forest.

~~~~~

Sighing, Celestia assembled her thoughts together. “Do you know what it’s like?”

“What is what like Princess?” Fluttershy asked.

“...To not be there. To not be able to help somepony. Somepony that you promised to help.”

The mares remained silent, not knowing how to answer.

“Bigarade.” Celestia whispered, “I’m sorry this has happened to you.”

The white alicorn composed herself, and faced the five mares standing around her. “A long time ago, Bigarade lived a fairly happy life. His parents cared for him, there was peace throughout the land, and he was to take over his father’s business. It was a fine carpentry business, making some of the finest furnishings in the land.”

“However, Bigarade didn’t want to take over his father’s business. He wanted to become a great unicorn of magic. To learn new spells, conjure new magic and teach it to his friends. He spent many days with his nose in a book. However, he never could learn new spells or conjure new magic. His friends were often supportive, but they saw that he wouldn’t get far in magic.”

“Bigarade lost hope of one day ever becoming a great unicorn. One day, however, changed his life.”

“What was that?” Pinkie inquired.

“He met me.”