• Published 31st Jul 2013
  • 852 Views, 9 Comments

Fading Light - Cabral095



Temptation, it happens to everypony, even a Princess. They were just dreams she told herself.

  • ...
3
 9
 852

Dawning

Dust whipped back and forth in the heat of the dry sun. The ground was dead and cracked, like much of the area around it. A single leaf hung above the land, dangling helplessly from a tree’s dying limbs. The old rooted plant stood silent before the crying wind that tugged at the small leaf, trying as if to free it from its prison.

Snap.

The leaf fell, its descent caught by the wind, carried all the way down to the harsh ground below.

The immediate area shedding a moment's peace for the fallen prisoner. The tree soon brightened and lights flashed through the cracks and holes that decorated its trunk. The bark peeled, and limbs fell one by one, slamming into the earth below. A great stirring in the wind circled the area, and flashes of lightning and magic sprayed about. With a great force, the tree split in two, revealing a purple pony; one who had rested peacefully in its bowels for centuries.

~~~~~

“I told you, what’s done is done, and nothing can change my mind now.”

“No! This can’t be the only way, I know what I did was wrong, but surely you can forgive me?”

“Forgive you?” The great Alicorn questioned. “Forgive you? For what you’ve done? Twilight Sparkle, you’ve put my subjects in danger, you’ve put your friends in danger, and worst of all, you put yourself in danger. You leave me no choice.”

Her voice emanating throughout the great halls of Canterlot Castle. Her stern gaze cast out of the window, looking onto her city.

“But, there’s always a choice…”

“Not this time.”

~~~~~

The purple pony fell in front of the tree, gasping for air. Her hooves clawed at the dirt, clinging to it, pulling her away from the past.

“No.” She murmured, her voice barely audible. Her eyes winced to the light, having only seen darkness for an eon. “Celestia, no.” She cried, knowing full well the world she would soon enter. Muscles strained to raise the small alicorn from the dirt; her head wracked with pain, her muscles spasmed, and her wings fluttered.

Senses soon returned to the equine, her composure stiffened as she glanced about her. Eyes shifting left to right, grasping what reality had left her with. Death. The luscious forest that had once surrounded her tomb had vanished, being replaced with tarnished trees and dead shrubs; no sign of life could be seen, or heard. The mare turned, gazing at her sarcophagus, looking in wonder at it. Her eyes studied the way it had split open in two. Gruesomely. The tree, however, had already been dead. Lying beside the tree stood a small stone.

She precariously wandered to the slab stabbed into the earth, eyes following the words engraved onto its surface. ‘As long as this stone remains, it shall forever be a reminder of the good deeds of the banished princess, Twilight Sparkle.’

“Why couldn’t she just see it?” The princess murmured, “I told her, but she just…” Her head was cast downwards, shedding tears of sorrow.

Crack.

The princesse's ears perked up, angling towards her rear. She was no longer alone. Casting a glance behind her, she could see nothing.

“Hello? Is somepony there?” Silence was the only answer. She turned her body, and cautiously moved forward. “It’s ok. I’m not going to hurt you…. hello?” A slight rustling echoed in her ear, alerting her to the tree just right of her. Peering behind the dry bark, her eyes caught glimpse of a young mare. Her brown hair was latched onto a golden coat, and green eyes studied the alicorn princess.

“Hi.” The princess carefully stated, “I’m Twi- *ahem* Princess Twilight Sparkle.” Silence was again exchanged between the two mares. Tacking on a smile however, Twilight ventured forth to create a conversation. “Can you at least tell me where you’re from?” Before a reply could be made, the mare darted, her hooves pounding against the earth, carrying her away from the strange pony.

Taking a moment to allow the events of what had happened to sink in, the princess of magic illuminated her horn and vanished in a flash of white, soon after appearing in front of the mare. Tripping over her own hooves, the mare stumbled to the floor.

“Wait, I just need to find out what year it is, and where I can find Princess Celestia.”

The mare gaped for a moment, before asking, “Was… was that…… magic?”

“What?”

“Did you just use magic?”

“Well yes, I am an alicorn, that’s kinda what alicorns do.”

“.....Alicorn?”

The princess was taken aback by this, her thoughts raced faster now, “Where’s princess Celestia?”

The mare remained quiet, staring at this strange new pony she had just met. Twilight sat, joining the mare. “Where are you from?”

“J-just beyond this forest.”

“In Canterlot?”

“N-no, it’s the mountain city. I was sent out for food.” The mare shuffled in her place, seeking comfort on the ground.

“Do you have a name?” Inquired the princess.

“...Sunflower.”

“Well Sunflower, it is very nice to meet you.”

Silence returned again to the conversation.

“...I should be getting back.” Sunflower stated, interrupting the dead air, “The others may be worried for me.”

“Wait, do you think it possible for me to accompany you?”

Sunflower rose, patting the dirt off of her hide. “I suppose it can’t hurt, but I have to speak to the council about… this.”

Nodding in approval, Twilight rose, and followed the mare. The thick debris of dried forest slowed their march to the city. Gazing to the sky above, Twilight saw nothing. No clouds, no birds; just the lonely blue of the vast floating sea, and the face of the mountain. It was cracked and scorched. Burn marks marred the face, and led downwards towards the forest.

The edge of the forest was reached, and with it, a site unlike any other. The Mountain City; it clung to the face of the mountain, decrepit and in ruins. The once grand castle that could be seen shimmering from far away now sat dim and broken. Homes were riddled with holes and burn marks. The water and animals had seemed to vanish with the glorious times.

Twilight paused, looking to the mare standing before her. “I need you to tell me now, where is Princess Celestia?”

Author's Note:

Another part? I was inspired I tell you! Inspired!