• Published 29th Jul 2013
  • 529 Views, 3 Comments

Excerpts from the Luna War - Sapare



!Experimental! Over a thousand years before the events of MLP FIM Luna called herself sovereign from her sister. Celestia unwilling to face her own blood allows her bureaucracy to solve the problem. What starts with a sacrifice has to end with one.

  • ...
1
 3
 529

Defiance

The taste of blood was clear in my mind as I raised myself from the floor, my legs wobbling and my hoofs sore. With tired but determined eyes I glared, at her. Her dark as night coat strangely enough had a gleaming aura in the nightlight. Her nighsky-like mane flowed freely around her as she looked down at me, her expression a beautiful and yet terrifying grin.

"Enough! Let us pass and leave our sight you weak pony. This is no longer your fight."

There was a momentary silence as I opened my mouth, letting some of the blood and saliva that had build up pour out and cover my white coat and the golden chestplate of my armor. I raise my head and steady my hold to the floor, my eyes meeting her's.

"You know my oath, you heard it just like she did!" I close my eyes as my horn begins to glow, shielding myself in a bright blue aura "I will not abandon my post no matter the circumstances."

More silence.

A cracking of air.

A dark cloud formed above the black as night mare and she steps closer. Her intimidating presence runs shivers down my spine. My body tells me to run away, but the feel of the cold golden door behind me keeps me in place. And then the first wave of magical energy hits my makeshift magical shield, causing me to groan and wince.

Normally a unicorn would create the shield in such a way that the impacts on it would not be too directly felt for the maker of the shield, but my exaustioned left me weak, and every push went directly to my horn, and brain. Whincing and pushing myself stronger against the door behind me my mind begs for the pain to end, but instead the pressure only increases, till I can feel the first cracks start to form in my mental defenses.

Growling and coughing I suddenly open my eyes and leap forward, right past my now shattered shield and into the more then two times taller mare. She was surprised, but not hurt, by my sudden assult. Her larger frame easily holds steadfast to my tired tackle and before even two clockbeats had passed I had multiple magic auras surround my body and throw me backwards into the golden door I had sworn to gaurd.

As the door makes contact with my spine and bashes against my head I try to scream out but all that escapes my lips is a pathatic cough and whimper. While my eyes tried to regain focus and my brain worked to ignore the pain that was rushing through my body the booming voice of the princess of the night made itself be heard clearly.

"I really liked you, your loyality, your determination. But you had to pick the losing side, why? Has Celestia brainwashed you thus utterly?"

With every word I could feel her get closer to me, and the presure of the magic pushing me into the door increasing. The door had been made for symbolic rather then tactical measures, I could already feel the makeshift baricades holding it closed giving way to my body. Groaning in pain I do my best to do what little I can, speak.

"I swore my oath to you just as I swore it to her, and if you were in her place I would have fought for you as I fight for her... but you are not in your right mind. You are a traitor to your own sister!"

"Wrong... she betrayed me first. She forced this apon me!"

With that another wave of energy pushed against my shattered body, and the door finally gave way and bursts open. My body flies through the now opening doors and many winglenghs into the throneroom beyond. Finally my body comes once more to contact with floor, as it slides another few hooflenghs across it, forcing me to cough up more blood and saliva.

My eyes focus on the entrance to the throneroom, and through the wide open door walks in Luna and her newly formed personal guard. She once more looks on my now utterly broken body, and for a moment she frowns, then smiles to an almost deranged level.

"Thankyou, so nice of you to let us in. Now, where is that princess you were supposed to be guarding?"

I could see the feint nervous shifting in Luna's guard as their eyes locked onto the bright shining princess Celestia on her majestic throne. Normally her frame was a beauty to behold, but now clad in full armor and her eyes gleaming with furry just looking apon her is an excercise in courage.

Her voice boomed even louder then Luna's had, and hearing it filled my heart with pride.

"Little sister, you have gone much to far with this. So much has been destroyed in your mad quest for power, and I have let you do so... because I could not find the strengh to harm the pony I loved so much. But it is obvious that you are not that same loving pony. Because of you there is not a single pony in Equestria who did not have to make a sacrifice to this ville war."

Looking over at my princess I could see her pick herself up from her throne and take a step forward. Luna's guard quickly but with obvious signs of fear rushing foward, creating a wall between the two most powerful ponies in Equestria. Neither of which said anything for a seemingly endless moment. Till Luna steps forward hersef, past her own now very confused guard.

"Celestia, I have defeated your army, I hold Canterlot, and I am standing in your throne room. Outside are thousands of ponies loyal to the new system. If anypony has been forcing the citizens of Equestria to make sacrificies it is you. Surrender and let this war come to an end today. We both know that if you refuse those loyal to you will continue to fight and die for many years too come."

I had been guarding Celestia for most of my life, and the glimmer in her eyes spoke for her, it was the same glimmer she had since the begining of this war, sadness. Celestia was a leader, but not a pony of war. She had never wanted this war and her refusal to face it had brought her Equestria down on her.

Seeing her like this, once more without the strengh and courage to face her sister the way she should, I bring my hoofs under my body and push myself up. Every bone hurts, a few of them cracked and pain shoots up and down my spine. No one takes notice of my struggle, till I have trotted all the way to the stairs leading to the throne. Spitting blood on the floor I yell with a ragged voice.

"M..My princess, do not listen to this upstarter! She might once have been your sister, but insanity has driven her to actions that can never be excused. These ponies are not following her because they love her, but because you refuse to take action..." I could feel a stabing pain inside of my chest, one of my ribbones must have been broken and the motions caused it to stab into me. Whimpering I continue "If... you prove them that you are willing to fight, and can win... they will return to y--"

My last word is unfinished as my legs give out on me and I fall to the floor, falling my chest and gasping out. Breathing as shallow as I can due to every breath hurting I focus my eyes upwards, at Luna and my princess past her.

My world begann to fade to darkness as my eyes lost focus, but I imagine to be able to see that weakness in Celestia's eyes disapear, replaced with that same determinated shine that marked my own eyes. Her voice sounded far away, but as wonderful as ever.

"Luna, I am sorry... but this pony is correct, my innaction has caused things to come this far. I could have, and should have, ended this earlier. Now I fear there is only one way to end this war, and I am sorry for it."

The guards of the night princess rushed forward once more, ready to defend their princess against any assult, but when a sudden bright flash of light comes from the Celestia they stop in their tracks, knowing that they hold no real power against her.

Through the hazzy darkness over my vision I see a rainbow, brighter then my eyes ever have behold one. A scream, Luna's scream, and another flash.

And as sudden as it had started it was over, my whole word faded to darkness.