• Published 26th Jul 2013
  • 1,814 Views, 19 Comments

Lyra's True Feelings - OtenBrony



Lyra plans to reveal her feelings for her good friend, Bon Bon, and to not make a fool of herself in the process. The problem is, Lyra doesn't consider herself the romantic type.

  • ...
2
 19
 1,814

Chapter 1: Lyra the Baker

Ponyville was bustling with business, ponies buying products from stalls and stores and ponies traveling to or from, but it was also a very quite town in many ponies' eyes. Many ponies were traveling to their work with a happy smile and wave to anypony that they traveled by. Everypony in the town seemed to be busy with some sort of task, except one cyan, unicorn mare sitting on a bench in the park of Ponyville. Her mane was turquoise blue with a white stripe within the sea of green/blue mixture. Upon her flank rested a cutie mark of a lyre, showing that the mare's destiny was revolved around playing the small instrument. Her cutie mark did not lie to anypony. The unicorn mare, who's name is Lyra, was one of the best lyre players in all of Equestria, and she held that title with pride. Whenever she grabbed and played her lyre, everypony stopped to admire the beauty of each note that was strummed across the strings. They chained together to tell a story of beauty and magnificence that anypony could love.

The skilled mare was sitting on the bench in an odd way that nopony would ever fully understand like Lyra did. The position was one of a bipedal form, one used by the fabled creatures she called humans. Nopony really accepted her ideology of humans except one of Lyra's friends, Bon Bon, an earth pony mare. Lyra had met Bon Bon about two months ago while she was playing her lyre in a cafe. Bon Bon heard the song Lyra was playing and complimented her playing. Lyra always accepted compliments but she was struck by the earth pony's beauty and her sweet voice, plus her personality was even better. She was sweet and very kind to Lyra even though they just meet the same day.

They sat at the cafe and talked for quite some time. Bon Bon talked about how she was hoping to open a sweet shop and Lyra talked about her past with playing the lyre and eventually slighty got on the topic of humans. Bon Bon found it quite odd, but did not judge Lyra because of it. Lyra had always appreciated that Bon Bon accepted her love for humans. Even though she hadn't proved it yet, Lyra was sure would prove them real one day in her life.

Bon Bon just closed her eyes and shook her head with a slight smile on her muzzle whenever Lyra went on one of her human rants. Although Lyra was always slightly saddened when Bon Bon did this, due to the fact that Lyra always loved looking at Bon Bon's beautiful blue eyes. They always mesmerized Lyra and seemed to be staring straight through Lyra and into her soul. The combination of Bon Bon's gorgeous eyes, cream colored coat, and her curly blue and pink mane always made Lyra keep her gaze on Bon Bon for the longest time. She just couldn't resist taking in the sight of the beautiful mare that had captured her heart since around the time that they first met.

Lyra only wished that one day Bon Bon would return these feelings that she was feeling. If Bon Bon ever did, then Lyra would be able to just hold Bon Bon close to her in her hooves and plant sweet tender kisses on her lips. The thought of being able to do these actions with Bon Bon made Lyra sit on the bench and just smile like a little foal on Hearth's Warming Eve.

Then, when we get alone together, Lyra began to think with a sly smile on her face, we could then...

"Hello? Equestria to Lyra?" came a soothingly calm voice from reality. Lyra's dirty thoughts were suddenly cut off by a certain earth pony. Lyra looked towards the voice to see Bon Bon standing next to her.

"Oh hey, Bon Bon. What's up?" asked Lyra not being able to hold a smile back knowing her secret love was next to her.

"Well you asked me to visit you here remember? You didn't actually tell me the reason. You said it was a secret."

Lyra scrunched up her muzzle until the past telephone conversation that happened yesterday came back to her. "Oh yeah! Well you remember how you said your sweet shop was open now, right?"

"Mhmm, it is. And the business is going great," came Bon Bon's reply with a smile, "although maybe a bit too great. It's hard to keep up with all the ponies that come in to order."

"Yeah, well I called you here to offer my hooves to help with the store. I could help with all the customers that come in," Lyra said with a confident smile.

"But Lyra, you play the lyre. Are you sure you'd be able to handle a sweet shop job?"

"Are you doubting my powers? Don't you worry about me not being able to handle it. My amazingness knows no ends," said Lyra with false cockiness with a confident smile still on her face. Despite what she just said, Lyra knew that she wouldn't fair too well in the shop. Even with this in mind, Lyra still wanted to help Bon Bon with her job. She wanted to help Bon Bon in anyway possible. It really made Lyra happy knowing she made Bon Bon's life better in anyway possible. Plus, it could score some time with Bon Bon. And maybe I'll finally be able to tell her my feelings this time when we're together at the shop...hopefully,thought Lyra remembering all the times she had told herself to tell Bon Bon the truth of her feelings, but cowered out in fear of how Bon Bon would react.

Bon Bon sat there, obviously in deep thought about the proposition she was just offered. She was staring at the ground with her hoof rubbing through her curly mane. She eventually looked back up towards Lyra and smiled a sweet smile before saying, "Alright, I'll take your offer. I could really use the help."

"Don't worry Bons. I can handle it," said Lyra smiling back at Bon Bon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I can't handle this," mumbled Lyra to herself whilst breathing heavily. She believed working at a candy shop would be nothing than just handing ponies their orders or grabbing treats out of the oven, but oh was she wrong. Lyra then began to recollect all the events that took place in the shop while she was there.

When Bon Bon first lead Lyra into the shop, she could not help but just take in the scent of the sweets and the sight of the store. The shop was overwhelming with the smell of baking goods which probably came from the pre-baking goods Bon Bon put in the ovens before she left to meet with Lyra. The aroma headed all the way to the front room in which Lyra and Bon Bon walked into, the waiting/reception room.

"This room is for customers to place orders and wait for their order to be completed," Bon Bon explained. She then walked behind a counter that sat near the back of the room "And this is the counter in which the customers place their orders or pick them up when they're completed."

Lyra looked to a stairwell in the room and pointed a hoof towards it, "What's up there?"

Bon Bon looked towards where she was pointing and looked back towards Lyra with a smile, "Oh, that's just part of the building, not part of the shop. There are some rooms up there and just some things like that." She then walked through a doorway in the wall behind the counter that lead to the source of the baking smell. "And this is, kinda obviously, the kitchen," she said which a smile on her face looking back towards Lyra who had just walked through the doorway.

"Wow, it smells amazing in here. What are you cooking, Bon Bon?" asked Lyra with great curiosity.

"Truffles, bonbons, cookies, little creme cakes, and full sized cakes for special orders," was her reply.

"Alright. So what will I be doing to help out? Cooking, cleaning, orders, or what?" questioned Lyra.

Bon Bon first asked Lyra to decorate some truffles while the other sweets were being baked.

"Just make them as beautiful as possible for the customers," stated Bon Bon as she left to turn the shop sign to OPEN.

"Alright, no problem. Just some simple decorations. I can handle it." Or so she had hoped. Lyra grabbed some items that she deemed would be useful, such as sprinkles, icing, chocolate bits, and things of the sort. Lyra grabbed the trey of truffles with her unicorn magic and brought it over to herself. She then prepared to try and become a part time baker to help Bon Bon, or at least try. "Because she's worth it, especially to me...," whispered Lyra to herself.

Lyra had done her best with the decorations, but for some reason there seemed to always be at least one thing wrong with them. Lyra's hooves always fumbled when adding sprinkles or icing or any form of topping decoration and could never get it completely right. It would be piled too high on the sweets or the decorations would fall off the top or it would just look completely horrible. One specific attempt unfortunately consisted of all three failures. "You belong in a fire and to never be witnessed by anypony," Lyra told the truffle in a hushed voice.

After a little while of Lyra's failed attempts, Bon Bon came to check on Lyra in the kitchen. Her smile faded a bit when she saw Lyra's...'handiwork' with the sweets.

"Uh...Lyra, maybe uh...maybe you can just go take orders. I'll finish up with the sweets, don't worry," encouraged Bon Bon with a small, forced smile.

"Yeah, they're pretty bad. Don't worry, I know. I did a horrible job on these," stated Lyra looking at her decorated creations that would probably make a foal cry a bit.

"Hey, you did your best, Lyra. I'm sure you'll do better if you work the front counter," offered her friend. Lyra just nodded her head and trotted towards the front counter with her head low to take and hand out orders.

Then began Lyra's second task in the shop, which, in Lyra's mind, went worse than the first. Lyra took and wrote the orders down well enough with a pencil and small piece of paper wrapped in her magical grasp. But after that, the chaos began. Lyra would hand orders to the wrong customer, make the pony wait too long due to the fact that she couldn't not find them in the sea of customers, or simply lose her concentration and let the pony leave without paying for the sweets.

Damn it! That's another order I'll have to pay for myself. Freaking cheapskate ponies, they could at least be nice enough to pay without me having to remind them that this food is NOT FREE, thought Lyra to herself when she realized somepony had walked off without paying the bits. She usually would have chased after them, but the swarm of customers dismayed the mare from the idea. The stress was beginning to really get to Lyra at this point. She was becoming exhausted from the work that she didn't excel at and she began to get angry at the customers for being so never ending.

"Do they ever stop coming in!" Lyra mumbled to herself as she levitated a piece of paper enveloped in magic that contained an order to Bon Bon before she disappeared into the kitchen to produce more sweets for the customers. Lyra sighed to herself, "Only for you, Bon Bon."

After about what seemed like forever for Lyra, Bon Bon walked towards the door and swapped the OPEN sign to CLOSED. Lyra felt a rush of relief wash upon her at the sight of the sign changing, and felt like she could have toppled to the floor right then and there.

"Lyra," began Bon Bon, "I can't thank you enough for this. You were a tremendous help to me. Well at least at the counter you were." She finished her sentence with a giggle remembering how Lyra had decorated the sweets.

The exhausted Lyra looked at Bon Bon with a smile before saying, "It was no problem, glad to...glad to be...of help." Lyra swayed and almost fell right into the floor. Bon Bon rushed over to her friend and a hoof around her, supporting Lyra to make she that she didn't fully fall. Lyra was so tired from the work that she didn't even register that Bon Bon was holding her.

"You're probably completely worn out, Lyra. Why not just stay here tonight? Your house is a far ways away and I don't wanna risk you passing out on the way home; I'd feel completely awful if you did since you were helping me all day." Lyra was so tired that it took her a few seconds to comprehend what Bon Bon had just said, but when she did she almost burst with complete joy. Then she fully recognized that Bon Bon was standing right beside her, close enough for them to be touching bodies, and one of her hooves was wrapped around her. The urge to burst with joy came back in full force, but Lyra shook the feeling away and decided it would be best if she didn't act like a little school foal in front of the one she loved.

Bon Bon lead Lyra to a guest room in the upstairs part of the shop in which there was a bed, a dresser, and a nightstand with a lamp on it next to the bed. The walls were a simple blue paint coat with nothing designed upon them.

"So wait, you live in the shop? Since when? I thought you lived in that apartment complex next to the Cake's." questioned a confused Lyra, looking at Bon Bon.

"When i first bought this place a week or so ago, the upstairs wasn't being used at all when i got the shop finished up on the ground floor, so i decided 'Why not bring home and work together'. It really does help with bits when you only pay for one rent.," was Bon Bon's reply.

"Huh. Okay, cool." Alright, this is a good time as ever. Just tell her the truth of your feelings. Come on...you can do it,thought Lyra, mentally pushing herself to tell her friend about her feelings. "Hey...uh...Bon Bon?" began Lyra.

"Yeah?" came Bon Bon's reply.

"I...I..have to tell you some...someth..something," Lyra stuttered out eventually. It was just both of them standing in the guest room, but it felt to Lyra like a million eyes were staring at her at the time. She was nervous beyond all belief and started to shake. She could only hope that Bon Bon wasn't noticing and it kinda made the fact that Bon Bon let her walk by herself to the guest room better so that Bon Bon couldn't feel the shaking if she were still holding her up.

"I...I lo...," began Lyra, but she wasn't not able to finish her sentence. The sentence was cut short by the pressure of lips being pressed against hers. A pair of lips that belong to a cream colored mare named Bon Bon.