• Published 21st Jul 2013
  • 1,759 Views, 32 Comments

Balloons and Diamonds - HurricaneSplash



Deep down, Pinkie Pie has always wanted a special somepony. When Rarity helps cheer her up, she starts to think a little more about the gem-loving designer.

  • ...
6
 32
 1,759

Chapter 3

Rarity tossed her mane and looked at herself in the mirror, admiring every inch of her beautiful dress.

"I look absolutely FABULOUS! This dress really did pay off! Pinkie Pie is sure to love it!"

The dress was ocean blue, with a hem of light blue lace around the edges. It was made of a soft, silky material which added even more grace and elegance to the unicorn's already dainty demeanor. It perfectly accented the dark blue color of Rarity's eyes, and gave her a delicate, balanced look.

The unicorn's royal purple mane was pinned back into a small and simple bun at the base of her neck. Lastly, she had polished her hooves and her horn until they nearly glittered. At that moment, Rarity felt that she was the perfect example of beauty and elegance.

Suddenly, the door swung open. Rarity whirled around iny surprise.

"Darling, I'm terribly sorry, but my shop is closed today– Berry Punch?"

The purple mare smiled with false sweetness. She had brushed and tied her mane, and had even put on some mascara.

"Oh hello Rarity! Wow you look really beautiful in that dress! Would you like to come with me on a walk by the lake? I even brought some of my special champagne that you love. I'm sure it's much more important than anything else you have."

Rarity smiled apologetically.

"Oh, I'm terribly sorry darling! Actually I was on my way to meet Pinkie Pie. She invited me to Sugarcube Corner for a get together of sorts. I surely can't just leave on such short notice."

Berry hid her anger behind a forced smile and an exaggerated eyelash flutter.

"Oh, that's no problem. See you tomorrow, then, hopefully!"


Rainbow Dash had gotten Pinkie cleaned up and ready for her date. When she had arrived, Pinkie had been a mess, hysterically sobbing and screaming. Dash had finally gotten her to go downstairs to wait for Rarity. After that, Rainbow left Sugarcube Corner through Pinkie's bedroom window.

She breezed through Ponyville, and headed to her favorite place to rest; Sweet Apple Acres. She hoped to catch a glimpse of Applejack's brother, Big Macintosh on the farm also. Although she would never admit it, she had a small crush on the muscular workhorse. However, so did every mare in Ponyville. He had turned down mares she thought were much, much prettier than herself. What chance did she have, then? Besides, she was too cool to date.

Finally, she reached her destination. She dragged over a nearby cloud and waited for Macintosh to eventually appear. She didn't want to seem stalkerish, so she usually just stayed in one place. The Apple Family knew she was there, and she didn't really want to have to hide anything, including herself. They could sniff out lies better than she could scent cider.

She waited for a few minutes, but he didn't come. Well, a nap wouldn't hurt. She would just close her eyes for a few minutes...

Soon, she was gently snoring.


Macintosh finally was able to drag the heavy apple cart over to the barn. He saw a shadow nearby, and remembered that Rainbow Dash took her afternoon naps nearby. He chuckled. He figured that she slept so much because of her constant rushing. That mare needed to relax once in a while.

He often wondered why she slept here so often. She always just used clouds anyway. Maybe the smell of fresh apples– He didn't know.

There was something comfortable in her gentle rhythmic snoring, but he could never place what exactly it was. He always had liked patterns ever since he was a colt. He remembered the puzzles that his Granny had given him when he was younger– he had solved each and every one of them back then. Applejack had called him 'Celestia the Second'. He smiled. He actually could be pretty smart when he wanted to be. Well, now was not the time for dillydallying. He had some apples to buck.


Rarity swung open the door of Sugarcube Corner.

"I hope I'm not too late, darling! It's so good to see you again, Pinkie Pie!"

Pinkie Pie smiled happily, "Nope, Rarity! You're right on time! Yay! We can have so much fun now! We can watch movies and eat cupcakes and talk and do hooficures and–"

Rarity smiled and walked closer to Pinkie.

"Here Pinkie, I brought you a present. You were so very sweet the other day, I just had to thank you!"

Pinkie gasped in delight, saying, "Oh, thank you thank you THANK YOU! I love presents! And you make the best ones!"

Rarity blushed, and said, "Your welcome dear. It's just a dress, and I'm SO sorry if you don't like it. Oh dear, maybe I should have gotten you something else..."

Pinkie smiled. "No worries! I love any present from you!"

Rarity blushed and smiled. "Thank you darling. I really appreciate that!"

Little did the two ponies know that they were being watches all the while by an angry magenta mare. A very, very angry magenta mare.


Rainbow Dash woke up to find her cloud drifting away. In her panic, she accidentally kicked it, causing it to disentigrate.

"Uh oh."

Rainbow Dash fell, screaming for help. Still sleepy, she couldn't get her stiff wings to move. She was doomed.

She saw Apple Bloom and Applejack rush outside. But they were too far away to help.

Oh well, she thought, At least I'll die near him...

THUNK. She had landed in somepony's arms. As she turned around to thank them, she blinked in surprise.

Looking at her, his muzzle inches from hers, was a certain orange maned, green-eyed, red-coated stallion.

She fainted on the spot.


Pinkie and Rarity were in Pinkie's room, watching a movie. It was one of those famous, yet somehow sleep-inducing films, which Pinkie somehow happened to have in her closet. Rarity had snuggled up against Pinkie Pie and had eventually fallen asleep. Pinkie was thankful for her pink coat, which hid her blushing well. She started to feel sleepy also. Maybe she could curl up with Rarity and sleep too. Just a few minutes...

Berry Punch giggled. Perfect.

She wasted no time in running to Carousel Boutique. Kicking open the door, she ripped fabric, smashed gems, and trashed the whole house. She then took everything that was pink and arranged them to form some words. Two, to be exact.

Pinkie Pie