• Published 15th Jul 2013
  • 734 Views, 18 Comments

All Alone - lunas_servant



1000 years ago Princess Luna descended into darkness. She watched for years as ponies shunned her and her beautiful night in favor of the sun. There was nobody there to stop her descent into madness. Or was there?

  • ...
5
 18
 734

5: The Children of the Night

I was thrown unceremoniously into a dungeon cell. I wondered if it was the same cell as all those years ago. They all looked the same with an understuffed cot lying on the floor and a small hole in the corner for bodily functions. I heard a sound from a dark corner and quickly looked over, expecting a rat. An old bat pony moved into the light, his wings rustling, his legs so stiff you could practically hear them squeaking.

"What are you in here for?" came the bat pony’s raspy whisper.

"A long story that ends with Princess Luna pulling me out of this pit. How about you?" I asked, sitting down on the hard stone floor.

"I am a Child of the Night," the old pony rasped. At this declaration I let out a gasp. How could this be? Surely all of the Children of the Night had perished long ago?

"A Child of the Night?" I asked excitedly. "Are there others? Do they know you're here? How long have you been here?" I couldn't believe it, after 1,000 years the Children of the Night still stood vigil.

☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁

Every night I stared up at the moon, wishing to see her one more time. I knew it was impossible; I was doomed to watch her from here until the day I died. I would not die quietly, though. I would not let Princess Luna be forgotten. I would remind the ponies of Equestria that they had another princess, one who loved them with all her heart, one that was ignored until her heart shattered. There had to be some who were faithful, some who would help me fight.

So I watched, and I waited. I would wander around the town at night, when all was quiet and there was little chance of getting caught. I didn't wear my armor, it would certainly expose me as a Luna supporter if the wrong person saw me, so I kept it hidden in a small cave a mile out of town. Then one night, about a week after arriving in Canterlot, my hackles rose as I passed the shadows of an empty street. I was being watched. I knew that the day guard only posted two guards at night near the castle. They wouldn’t be this far into the town proper. I glanced behind but there was nopony there. I slipped into a darkened alleyway and quickly swung around to see a shadow run out of sight. I stuck to the shadows to make my way back out of town. I had no idea who was watching me but I knew it couldn't be good.

Just as I arrived back at my cave a shadow separated itself from the others around the entrance and a young unicorn mare appeared. I took a defensive position, ready to fight if I had to, more likely to flee than the former. My wing, while healed, was still sore. I knew my limits and knew how long I would last in a true fight.

"Wait!" The mare pleaded, taking a step away from me.

"Who are you? Why are you following me?" I asked angrily.

"My name is Dream Song, I've seen you before. You come into town every night. You always look so sad, and I think I know why," she spoke so softly and kindly. She looked up at the moon as she said these next words. "You miss her too, don't you? Princess Luna."

That was the start of it all. Dream Song showed me that there were others who remembered, who would always remember. These were the ponies who knew the night as it should be, who understood it's beauty. These were the Children of the Night.

☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁

"So you've heard of us, have you? Perhaps that is why you’re here," the old stallion mused as if to himself. He went on. "Few know of our existence, we operate in the shadows because long ago Princess Celestia banished us from Equestria when she banished her sister. But still we are here, waiting for the day that our princess returns."

"She has returned! Her Majesty, Princess Luna, Ruler of the Night and the Moon and the Stars, has returned to Equestria!" I exclaimed excitedly. "The Children of the Night will no longer need to be silenced, they must be allowed to return! To think that the true servants of my princess survived for a thousand years. When Princess Luna gets me out of here I will be sure to get you out as well."

"It matters not to me if I stay or go, my time grows short. But you say Princess Luna has returned to Equestria?" asked the old stallion. I nodded vigorously in affirmation. "That is indeed good news, I never imagined I would live to see the day. I can die in peace now.”

"I will get you out. You shouldn’t have to die in this dungeon, you are a Child of the Night! A true servant of our princess," I protested.

“Don’t worry about me. This is more important, you must know where the Children of the Night are. You must help them to return."

There was a burst of light from the door as a guard opened it. "Sir Cloud Twist, your presence is requested by the princesses."

"Did he just call you Sir Cloud Twist? As in, the founding father of the Children of the Night?" asked the old stallion with an excited rasp. I nodded a yes with a bright smile. "I truly can die happy now! Listen to me, the Children of the Night are waiting. Where the falls come down, when the moon is full and at its brightest, the path will be lit and you will surely find Salvation. Now go, the children await."

I followed the guard out of the dungeon, the old stallion’s words ringing in my ears. Where the falls come down, when the moon is full and at its brightest, the path will be lit and you will surely find Salvation.

Author's Note:

Edited by MadameDragonFlower