• Published 15th Jul 2013
  • 734 Views, 18 Comments

All Alone - lunas_servant



1000 years ago Princess Luna descended into darkness. She watched for years as ponies shunned her and her beautiful night in favor of the sun. There was nobody there to stop her descent into madness. Or was there?

  • ...
5
 18
 734

3: Memories

That first night passed by way too quick and before I knew it Princess Luna had to lower the moon. I watched as she lowered it before being escorted to a room that had been prepared for me. I could not sleep however. I had slept for 1000 years, I assumed getting back into my sleeping patterns would be difficult. I laid down and closed my eyes but my mind would not shut off. I kept seeing her, watching her lower the moon and remembering the time when she would not.

☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁

"We must not allow the Day Guard inside! Keep them outside the castle at all costs!" I shouted to the ponies under my command. I heard a crash as three Day Guard warriors burst through the windows a ways down the hall. I looked behind me and saw my troops distracted by an attempt to break through the front gate.

I pulled my hoof blades from their holster under my wings and latched them into the hooks on my hooves before lurching after the invaders. I used my pegasus magic to propel myself towards the soldiers and thrust a blade into the first ones head, an earth pony, before they could react. I quickly dodged under the first blow from the second, another earth pony, and moved to ensure he didn't get a second chance, slicing him open with my second blade as I extracted my first blade from the head of the first target. I was forced to land before launching at the third, a unicorn of some renown, even amongst the Night Guard. I missed him with my first shot however as his unicorns blade, an enchanted blade consisting of 9 shards of steel, parried my own blade and scratched my stomach as I passed.

I landed on the other side of the unicorn and quickly spun around. "You should leave now Sun Dancer, I would rather not kill you. Tell your Princess that her reign is over, the reign of the moon is begun."

"I will never surrender to a traitor! You will die tonight and your Princess shall fall! It shall all be for naught!" came the quick response. I hated that it had come to this. My Princess of the Night had put up with insolence for far too long. The ponies of Equestria took her for granted, she protected them in the night yet they worshiped their sun goddess. Only I truly understood her majesty and if she had to become Nightmare Moon to make the others understand then so be it. No matter what I would stand by her side, her ever faithful servant. And if I had any say in the matter, the sun would never rise again.

"Then die and rest assured that your sun shall never rise again!" I launched myself at the unicorn with a flap of my wings. The unicorn raised his sword to parry my blade once more and I used my pegasus magic to increase the air flow over my head and collapsed my wings, dropping under his guard as my hoof blade penetrated his chest. The unicorn glared at me as his sword fell to pieces and as the air left him through the hole in his lungs, he exclaimed "The sun shall t-t-triumph." before collapsing on top of me. I pushed him off, pulling my blade free and returned to my guards who were struggling to hold their position as Celestia's Day Guard attempted to push through the barricade.

"Pegasi! Grab up your bows and take to the skies! We must stem the flow of troops before they overwhelm us!" I shouted to my troops. I led the Pegasi under my command into the sky but my troops quickly scattered when we saw what was approaching. It was Celestia. She was coming towards us and I knew that our entire force would not be enough to stop her.

"Will you fight me Cloud Twist?! Surely you know you can not defeat me in combat!" shouted the tyrant.

"Whether I can defeat you or not has yet to be seen Tyrant," I stated with more confidence than I felt. "I will, however, fight until my last breath for the rightful ruler of this land! The ponies of Equestria have taken mine Princess of the Night for granted for way too long, and you are no better! You, who abandoned your own sister to take the spot in the light, you shall reap what you sow."

I then ceased talking and used every ounce of pegasus magic at my disposal to launch myself at her. I then feinted to the right, lashing out at her with both of my blades but she was too quick. She dodged away from my blades and launched a ray of sunfire at me that melted my blades. I detached the remnants of metal from my hooves. There was nothing else for it, i would have to fight hoof-to-hoof.

"Leave now and your treason will be forgiven, continue to fight and I will have to put you down Cloud Twist," reasoned Celestia. I would not hear it. I could not abandon my Princess, I would follow her to Tartarus and back if I had to. I launched another attack, ready to strangle the life out of this tyrant. "Die!" I shouted in anger. But I was no match. I was never a match for her. She twisted in the air and bucked me in the chest, knocking the air out of my lungs, then she threw a series of punches at my face and the last thing I knew I was falling and Celestia was heading for the castle.

I don't know how long I laid on the castle grounds passed out but when I awoke it was to see Princess Luna fighting her sister in the skies above. I took a quick evaluation of myself. A few broken ribs, definitely a broken wing which meant no flying. I looked up in the sky at the battle raging above. Then I saw a sudden glint of gold! Celestia had the Elements of Harmony! A sudden rainbow appeared from Celestia's crown and it was over. Princess Luna disappeared in a brilliant flash and her visage showed in the moon above.

I knew I had to get out of there. The punishment for treason was death and I could not die in peace until I had avenged my Princess. I stood up carefully, ignoring the pain from my ribs. The rest of the Night Guard had already taken off, the cowards. I would never see them again, with Princess Luna gone they would not risk exposing themselves. I reached the forest at the edge of the grounds just as the sun came up over the horizon.

☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁

All these painful memories surfaced. I remembered bandaging my wing and ribs, I hid out in the woods for a couple weeks while my wounds healed. Every night I looked up to the sky and wished that I could share her banishment, and fearing I would never see her again. The sun came up in the morning and went down at night as though nothing had changed, but everything had changed. Princess Luna was banished to the moon and there was no one to stop the Tyrant. She would rule unopposed for all eternity. I remember telling myself that I could not allow this to happen.

I shake my head and climb out of bed. There is not much point in pondering on what has already happened. Perhaps I should go seek out Heart Charmer and apologize for my actions yesterday. So I set out into modern Canterlot.

Author's Note:

Edited by MadameDragonFlower