• Published 4th Feb 2014
  • 1,455 Views, 24 Comments

Project: PARADIGM - CluelessDetective



Sam Fisher, Solid Snake, and James Bond are sent to Equestria by a century old initiative and now must work together to defeat a new terrorist organization with the intent of attacking Equestria with a biological weapon

  • ...
3
 24
 1,455

...And Into the Light

A month after he reunited with his daughter, and here he was again: sneaking around and taking lives for the sake of family.

The man Sam Fisher was here for wasn’t literal family, but Victor Coste was a brother to him. And when he’d been kidnapped, he’d called in favors to get what he needed to bust him out.

Sam was wearing a duplicate set of the outfit he’d worn during the Third Echelon conspiracy, and with some of those favors he’d gotten his gear back too.

At the moment he was crawling along a pipe and watching as contractors – Black Arrow contractors specifically - patrolled the hallway outside the room Vic was supposedly being held. As soon as there was only a single sentry present he released his hands from the pipe and hung upside down, placing his hands on the man’s mouth and head. After a few seconds of muffled screaming, he passed out.

He’d been more focused on non-lethal takedowns lately, since having his daughter back had humanized him. The rage against her murderers had been what drove him a month before, and now that he had her back he felt relatively at peace.

When he was calm, he was merciful. When he was angry, he was brutal. And it took a lot of emotion for him to show anything perceptible, or a difference in his behavior.

Sam dropped down quietly and moved the body into the shadows, then returned to his inverted perch. Looking at the door, he jerked his head to put his sonar goggles over his eyes. There were a quartet of men inside and he memorized their positions before pushing his goggles back up onto his forehead.

He shot the fire alarm, and one of the smoke detectors. The alarm began to ring fiercely and water doused the entire level.

“Fuck! The camera’s fried,” Someone said from the other side.

“Washington, Adams, go turn off the sprinkler system. Jefferson, go to the security room and shut off the alarms.”

Three men rushed out of the room, their uniforms quickly darkening as they were soaked. After they were out of his sight, he dropped down and rushed inside to grab the remaining operative

“Vic, you alright?” He asked as he pried a Kevlar vest from the unconscious body.

“A bit thirsty, but I’m fine,” Vic shrugged. The vest was tossed his way and he caught it, putting it on and grabbing a submachinegun from the ground. “I hate to be the one to tell you the day needs saving, but-”

“There’s a high-yield EMP one floor down, I know,” Sam sighed. “They’re gonna detonate it out of spite after they take it above ground. Cause some chaos as one last middle finger.”

He’d gotten that information unexpectedly when he’d scared Vic’s location out of a guard. After finishing off the thug in question by choking him until he passed out and stuffing him in a locker, he’d sighed at having that duty thrust upon him again. As clichéd as it sounded, every time he thought he was out of the game something pulled him back in.

“How many guys are out there?”

“Half a dozen on this floor. Get to the elevator, go to the lobby, and Grimm will be waiting outside with some help. You need backup?”

“I’ve got this. These clothes might make me look a bit out of shape, but I’m still all muscle and I still shoot better than most guys I know. Just take care of that EMP and get home safely. I know Sarah’s probably worried.”

He grunted in agreement. His daughter had tried to convince him to let Anna Grimmsdottir and a few of her “friends” rescue Coste instead of him going personally. But he just couldn’t sit idly by while his enemies held one of his few remaining friends as a captive, so he’d come for him

“See ya topside,” Vic said with a nod, giving his MP5 a quick visual check before heading out.

Sam holstered his pistol and drew his SC3000. The weapon was fitted with a 2x magnification reflex sight and a laser sight, in addition to a suppressor and an enhanced stock. Before leaving the room, he peeked out with his sonar goggles. With no enemies in range of his scan, he left the room and headed further down the hallway.

A cylindrical object rolled into view, and he dove for a nearby metal table. The flashbang detonated and blew a thousand whistles in his ears. He ducked out immediately after and saw four Black Arrow goons heading his way.

“There’s Fisher!”

They opened fire with their MP5s, whose hollow-point rounds punched massive dents into the metal. Had they not been inclined to mushroom on impact, they’d have penetrated and likely killed him.

As soon as a lull in their fire caught his attention he popped out and fired a few short bursts with one hand while using the table to stabilize and using his free hand to reach for a grenade. Though none of the bullets found a target, the grenade that followed exploded before they could react and wiped them out. One of their helmets flew over Sam’s cover and almost hit him on the head.

“Some people just want it the hard way…”

He ran towards the elevator and called it up, reloading as he waited. When it opened, he pinged the area with his goggles to make sure nobody was waiting for him in it or above it. Assured that his way down was safe, he entered and pried open the grating on the ceiling before keying in the basement floor. He then crawled through the opening in the ceiling and waited atop the elevator as it descended.

As soon as it released a ding and the doors slid open, the interior was hosed with fire, justifying the former Splinter Cell’s perch. He tossed a sticky camera just past the doors and stared intently at his OPSAT. Two Third Echelon agents ceased fire and dropped their magazines to the ground as they reloaded.

“Fuck, he’s not here. It must’ve been a distraction,” Sam heard via the camera’s audio sensors.

“We’ll double-check the elevator and move on.”

The two agents proceeded towards the lift cautiously, but not cautiously enough to notice the payload at their feet. Sam pushed a button and a tiny flashbulb in the device activated, blinding them for just long enough that he could knock them both out. The bulbs were silent and multi-use, so he could disable nearby enemies’ most important sense without alerting others.

This isn’t right. There should be hundreds of these guys left, and a few dozen Splinter Cells. If they’re so dead-set on this, why the hell aren’t they putting more guys on this? If those two were just deserters who linked up with Black Arrow, they’d be wearing their uniforms. They’re here on business.

The answer was obvious. The facility, and the plan it was supposedly part of, were nothing but a distraction from something bigger. But even so, Sam couldn’t leave this thing lying around. Not when the people still here would likely try to use it anyway.

He opened the doors to the storage chamber the device was in. It was hardly empty, with several large crates of equipment. They obviously didn’t have enough space to give the weapon a dedicated place.

After approaching the device, Sam’s fingers began dancing across the keypad as he attempted to disarm it permanently. As it was, it had insufficient power to cause widespread damage, with only the built-in battery supplying energy. But as long as it still functioned, it could be hooked up to a generator and used. So he was altering the power distribution, as Grimm had once taught him to years ago.

Granted, that was with a much smaller device of a different design. He’d just have to cross his fingers.

The number “10” appeared on the screen. A number that began to go lower every second. He’d either made a mistake or used an outdated technique in trying to get rid of the problem discreetly. Arcs of lighting shot out from the weapon.

“Shit!”

The former SEAL ducked behind a large mass of crates and noticed a pink field form around him and his cover. It blocked out the bolts of electricity, and the space within grew brighter by the second, a humming intensifying as it did.

The pink glow grew to a nearly blinding luminosity before suddenly dimming. A moment later, the energy flashed and incapacitated Sam.

Author's Note: