• Published 6th Mar 2012
  • 1,889 Views, 29 Comments

The Vacation Crew - Dafaddah



Luna, the Elements of Harmony and Spike go on vacation

  • ...
10
 29
 1,889

Chapter 4: A Day at the Beaches

When Spike got up to wake Twilight the next morning, Luna rose with them and all three joined in the happy business of making breakfast. Today, they were expecting the whole Vacation Crew, as they were beginning to refer to the group, to join them for breakfast. Each pony would bring some treat to eat as well.

An hour later they were all sitting in the library on various cushions, stuffed to the gills, sipping tea and coffee.

Luna raised an eyebrow and braced herself for the coming onslaught. "So does anypony have any suggestions for today's activities?"

"Let's go on a hay-ride!" said Applejack.

"How about a musical show in Manehattan?" proposed Rarity.

"A day at the beach!" said Rainbow Dash.

"There's a book fair... " said Twilight, then noticing the stares she finished weakly "... in Canterlot."

Luna spoke up "A day at the beach sounds like a truly relaxing idea, then we can take the evening in Canterlot and see a musical. What do you say Vacation Crew?"

All the ponies cheered the idea, except for Twilight who was looking a bit miffed. She perked up again when it became obvious somepony needed to take charge and get these ponies organized. Soon they all headed of with their assigned tasks.

In less than an hour the crew was reassembled in the Library, and Luna teleported the entire group to the beach. It was fine day, and they set up large parasols, beach-blankets, chairs and various games.

Pinkie Pie was wearing a white and pink polka dot bikini bathing suit. All the other ponies also wore various styles of bathing suits, as per pony tradition. Nopony knew why this was so, it just was. Twilight wondered if she should ask Princess Luna about it.

Spike was wearing striped orange and black swimming trunks that Twilight had bought for him the previous summer. He strutted his stuff before Rarity, who was studiously looking anywhere but in the direction of the hideous trunks.

As at the park, the day unfolded at a leisurely pace, sporadically peppered with group games and activities. In mid afternoon Luna found herself sharing a parasol with Rarity, and decided the moment was opportune to get the know the fashionista mare a bit better.

"I'm so glad all of you agreed to join me on vacation. After all, our first meetings were not exactly on friendly terms," she admitted to the white mare.

"Princess, that is all behind us. To be honest, I was taken aback when after the defeat of Nightmare Moon, Princess Celestia immediately took you back into her confidence. But we all trust her judgement implicitly of course."

"Somehow, I sense that this is not the whole story," said Luna with a smile.

Rarity looked at her over huge sunglasses. "Since you ask, then I'll tell you the whole truth. It was Twilight. She truly believes that everypony can be a friend, if only you sincerely offer them friendship. She has the courage to make that offer, even where all others would give up. As proof, she had the courage to place her trust in her new-found friendship with we five mares from Ponyville and defy Nightmare Moon, and then to immediately take you, Princess Luna, at face value." Rarity looked out at the waves crashing onto the sandy beach.

"Even if we tease her quite mercilessly about her bookish ways, we do so out of love and admiration for a truly fine pony. Also, she is the one who brought us, this group of friends, together. And yes, we know that this is perhaps the main reason why Princess Celestia sent Twilight to Ponyville, but this does not change in the least how we feel about her. In my case it certainly makes me feel grateful to your sister, that she would be so generous as to share Twilight with us."

Luna laughed warmly. "And I suspect I now know why you are the Element of Generosity, Rarity!"

"Might I ask you a question your Highness?" queried the white mare.

"Please do, Rarity, and do call me Luna, as it's just we two mares here."

"I am honored, Luna. Do you know how long Twilight is to stay in Ponyville?" She looked down. "Everypony has seen how incredibly powerful a magician she is, and we know that someday, our little librarian will be called on to greater things."

Luna considered carefully before responding, these past few days having gotten both deeper insight into the Elements of Harmony, and a very personal appreciation for the six little ponies that composed it. "My dear Rarity, I have lived for thousands of years. The great burden of immortality is seeing most of those you love age and depart, leaving you behind. Sometimes the pain is so great that for dozens or even hundreds of years, you shun becoming too close to mortals, lest you again feel the heartbreak of time's tyranny. This has made us value true friendship for the rare and precious miracle that it is."

"Rest assured, Rarity, that Celestia and I both cherish what you six ponies and Spike have made in Ponyville, and we will not of our own accord see it sundered. But mind you, only friendship that is freely given can be so dear, so it is up to you all, including Twilight Sparkle, to keep it alive while pursuing your own destinies."

Rarity was still considering everything Princess Luna had said, when she heard a voice shout "Incoming!" She and the Princess were blasted by sand as a blue streak plunged from above into the beach between them.

"Rainbow Dash, you got sand all over my bathing suit... and my mane... and my beautiful sunbonnet!" Rarity sputtered as Luna started shaking the sand out of her coat.

In lieu of apology, the blue pegasus laughed at their discomfiture. "Better dust off your hat Rarity! Beach volley-ball tournament in 5 minutes - be there or be square!" She fluttered off in a cloud of sand, raising a screech from Rarity who had to shake herself clean all over again.

"Eeeee! I'll show her what else I can do with my hat!" Rarity blushed a deep crimson, realizing what she had just said in front of the Princess. Luna motioned towards the volley-ball net with her foreleg, laughing, and they cantered out to rejoin their friends.