• Published 19th Jul 2013
  • 906 Views, 48 Comments

Time and Masks - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Dinky Hooves finds she has a unique magic and grows up to become a hero, even if few know it.

  • ...
1
 48
 906

Costumes

To my dear little muffin,

Thank you for writing me to let me know how you are coping with Canterlot and your classes. It is nice of you to be thinking of me. I don't know how hard it can be, though I imagine more difficult than flight school. I also know that you are a smart little pony and can do something great if you set your mind to it. You will become a very skilled and great unicorn.

I am sorry about the events of the night you left, about not being able to see you off, and for not writing back sooner. It has been a bit difficult for me to cope with what happened. I know this isn't fair to you, but I'm sure you'll understand. It would have been better if I told you face to face.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but your father is gone. The Doctor is still alive, I think, but he is no longer the pony that we once knew. He didn't tell me much, but the main idea is that things didn't go the way they were supposed to. He managed to save some ponies, but it cost him quite a bit. Unfortunately when something like that happens, it not only changes his body, but his very personality. He still remembers us, but he is not the same pony we have known. I don't know if we will ever see him again, or what he will be like if we do. Dangers of time travel I suppose. His past could be our future and vice versa.

I know this news is going to upset you, and you have every right to be. One thing I ask is that you try not to be mad at your father. What he did, he did because it was right and save lives. Knowing what it would cost him, he would do it again. As for not being able to say good bye to you, remember that he had two hearts, and know that they were both breaking for you.

I will try to send you another letter soon with good news about what is happening in Ponyville. I don't think you would have a very strong interest in hearing about it after what you have read.

Remember that you are loved.
Especially by me.

Mom

Dinky set the letter aside and wiped at her face to get rid of the tears. She had been so excited when she saw that there was a letter from home and a package waiting for her. Excited her mom had written, Dinky read the letter first. It had not been what the filly had been expecting. She had been expecting either good news or at least mundane. Dinky had not been expecting bad news, and certainly had not been expecting something like she had read.

Reaching out she took a hold of the package and pulled it in front of her. It was a surprise to her that the return address was Carousel Boutique. With the use of her magic, she opened the box, looking to see inside. On top of the contents was a note.

To Miss Dinky Hooves,

While I am aware that your request was solely for design sketches of the Mare-Do-Well costume so it may be designed for you in Canterlot, I have instead taken the liberty to fully design and assemble the ensemble for you. Not having you available, I have done my best to estimate your measurements and construct the outfit accordingly. There may be some minor adjustments necessary, but I believe it should be an approximate fit and should be sufficient for Nightmare Night. Should any ponies be curious as to where it was designed, or by whom, please let them know.

Your business is appreciated,

Miss Rarity,
Carousel Boutique.

That was not what she expected. Turning back to the box, she reached in to get a better look at the contents. At the top was the hat. Several pieces of paper were put on the outside and inside to keep it safe and help in the proper shape. The mask had been folded enough to fit inside, the eyes facing out from each other on opposite sides of the little square. Unfolding it, she felt like the blue lenses were staring at her, judging.

Are you worthy?

Dinky gave her head a shake, wondering where that thought had come from. She set the mask down.... then turned it over so the eyes were pointed down instead of staring up at her. Below that was the cape. She felt a little bad unfolding it. With the insignia pin in place, she was doubtful that she was going to able to re-fold it as well as Rarity had. All the same, she tried her best before setting it aside.

Finally the filly reached the main portion of the outfit. It was almost magic as she unfolded and gave it a quick shake. Especially the collar. It almost seemed to pop up and flare out from out of nowhere. It was also a lovely color. Beneath that, the only thing left were the boots. It made her wonder a little why they had so many straps on them. She would have to send Rarity a thank you letter, and find out the cost. It seemed as though the bill had been forgotten somehow.

She began to put the outfit back in the box when a knock came at her door.

"It's open," she said, turning toward the door. It opened to reveal one of the pegasus guards.

"I have been sent to notify you it is time to prepare for the ball and to escort you to the dressing room," he stated, giving a salute. She gave a nod and followed after him. It did not take long to reach the room where several ladies were waiting. Horns glowed brightly as she was clipped and brushed, pedicured and painted, and dressed up. She felt so relieved when it was over and done.

Then came the hard part.

Still being escorted by the pegasus guard, she headed down to the ball room. There she joined Princess Celestia, who thanked the guard and dismissed him. Now, standing beside the princess, Dinky had to wait for introductions to be made. In the mean time, the unicorn moved to peek out from where she stood in the wings.

A stew of emotions boiled in her as she looked out at all the arriving and waiting ponies. There was excitement at the event: living in Ponyville with Pinkie Pie, she had attended a lot of parties. None of them like this though. There was fear: There were a lot of other ponies out there, and most of them were going to be looking at her. Not for long, but there was going to be a point where she was the center of attention after introductions. There was also a bit of disappointment: most of the ponies were older than her by a noticeable amount. The guests would have more in common with Amethyst Star or Miss Twilight and her friends than with the little filly unicorn.

A touch on her shoulder drew her attention. Dinky turned to look at Princess Celestia who gave her a comforting a smile. The young filly found herself starting to smile back. There was a feeling of calmness. She did not feel like the feelings had stopped boiling completely, but the heat did turn down enough to become more of a simmer.

"Mares and Stallions," a voice called out, gathering everyone's attention, "Our host and royal leader, Princess Celestia!" The sound of a musical fanfare filled the air. Celestia straightened up, tilting her head back slightly. She spread her wings wide from her sides, raised high as the tips could reach. With that, she moved forward, stepping out of sight and into views as she approached the top of the steps.

"Thank you all for coming," the princess said. She did not seem to have the same boom as Luna's Royal Canterlot Voice, but her words could clearly be heard by everypony in the room. "Tonight is not merely a night of celebration the joys of life and the continuing changes of the seasons. As I am sure many of you are already aware, my last student has reached a point where my teaching is no longer necessary. Unfortunately, a teacher is not much without a student. As such, I have found a young unicorn who is willing to allow me to teach her what I can. Allow me to introduce you all to my newest student: Dinky Hooves."

Dinky was a little impressed by the statement, and confused. It made it sound as she were doing a favor for Celestia by being a student. Taking a deep breath, she straightened up and lifted her head high. Imagining herself as a princess to try and look as proud and noble as she could, she stepped out from the wings and out for all to see.

The attendees watch as the young filly came into view for all to see. The powder blue dress flowed gently as she moved, the pale blue pulling the hints of purple from her coat to make her look less grey. A small bit of gold thread and jewelry were added to accent the filly's blond mane and bright yellow eyes. Pushing down a new sense of nervousness building in her stomach, she gave a small smile.

After the introduction passed the pair walked down to the base of the staircase. Dinky was permitted to go out and mingle. Celestia had to stay and greet any who wished to speak with her. As the filly left her teacher, a thrill went through her as she caught sight of some fillies that looked to be close to her age in attendance. The hope flickered out quickly as she saw the look on the faces of several of them. It was a look she had seen before; on the face of Diamond Tiara just before she began to make fun of somepony. Walking past the fillies, she headed over to the buffet table and see what is available.

"Look at her jewelry," one of them said, "I bet it's not even pure twenty-four karats. Probably like... twelve or something."

What? Dinky crinkled her brow at the statement, continuing to look at the snacks available.

"What is with her dress?" another asked, "That shade of blue is so last week."

Last week? She looked a little longer before picking up what seemed to be a miniature strawberry shortcake.

"Look at the color of her magic," a third cried out. "She looks like she should be a student of Luna."

"I bet she's only a student of the princess because her mother is a friend of somepony," the first one spoke up again.

That was when Dinky reached her limit. She could not take it anymore. The filly finally had to let it out.

The other fillies, especially the three that had been talking, now turned at looked at Dinky Hooves. They could not help but stare in confusion. Was she laughing at them?

"What is so funny?" the first filly asked, stamping her hoof.

"You three," Dinky replied while chuckling. "I'm sorry, but if that's the best you can do then you are the worst bullies I have other met." Taking her miniature strawberry shortcake, she left the others as she headed out toward the balcony. It actually turned out to be a very tasty choice as a treat when she took a bite.

The laughter slowly passed as the filly calmed down, still finding the whole matter funny. She sat down and looked up at the night sky, watching the stars and the moon in the sky. Maybe I should write a thank you letter to Diamond Tiara. Who could have thought that all of her snobby remarks would actually have an upside?

"Did what they say really not bother you?" a voice asked, making Dinky jump. She had been so caught up in her thoughts and the laughter, she had not heard another filly approach.

The white filly with a pink mane and tail stood there, smiling. Moving closer, she used her magic to hold out a plate holding more of the shortcake minis. The new arrival gave a nervous smile as she approached, setting the plate down on the edge of the balcony.

"I brought you some more cakes," the filly said, "I'm Twinkleshine."

"Thank you," Dinky said as she looked between the visitor and the plate of snacks. "I'm Dinky Hooves... but you know that already, I guess."

"Yes." Twinkleshine gave a nod as she came closer. "But like I said, I'm more curious about how you acted to those other fillies. They're bullying really didn't make you mad?"

"It didn't make me mad," Dinky responded. She looked away thinking a moment. "I guess it should bother me since they were trying to make fun of me, but the insults were just..." She gave shrug. "It just that the things they were making fun of were things I don't care about." Dinky smiled then turned to look out at the night, thinking of where her home was. "I got teased worse in Ponyville."

"You're from Ponyville?"

"...Yeah?"

"What's it like?" Twinkleshine asked as she moved closer. "I've heard so many stories! Is it true that they don't use magic to end winter? What about Twilight Sparkle having a pet ursa major? Oh oh what is she like? Have you met her? And the other Elements of Harmony?" She finally stopped when Dinky placed a hoof across her mouth.

"Have you always been from Canterlot?" Dinky asked, getting a nod. "How about you tell me about Canterlot, and I tell you about Ponyville?" She pulled her hoof back, smiling as she saw the massive grin. "Now, what do you want to know about first."

It took the white and pink unicorn a moment to decide what she wanted to ask. Once decided, the two of them started to talk, asking questions and sharing stories about their home towns. The two talked and laugh as they became friends.