• Published 19th Jul 2013
  • 905 Views, 48 Comments

Time and Masks - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Dinky Hooves finds she has a unique magic and grows up to become a hero, even if few know it.

  • ...
1
 48
 905

Spring Break Visit

"Breakfast is ready!" a voice called after a knock on the door. The sound woke up Dinky, a lavender unicorn filly with a blond mane and tail, and Twinkleshine, a white one with pink. Of the two, Dinky was the first one up and heading for the door. Twinkleshine was not far behind. The two of them headed down the steps to the kitchen, excited with hunger and a day ahead of them.

In the kitchen, Wind Tunnel -- a pale blue pegasus with a silvery mane and tail -- already sat at the table with a plate full of pancakes. He held a knife and fork in his hooves, but Carrot Top stood over him, giving the colt a very stern look. She held a wooden spoon in one hoof, and Dinky knew from experience she knew how to use it.

"Good morning," Carrot Top said without looking away from the pegasus, "Derpy is making everyone whole wheat pancakes with strawberries and white chocolate chips. I had to keep an eye on this one," she brandished the spoon at Wind Tunnel, "to keep him from eating before the two of you arrived. You two help yourselves. I'm going to go help your mother."

Twinkleshine and Dinky Hooves took their seats and began to fill their plates with pancakes as well. As soon as he felt Carrot Top was out of spoon smacking range, Wind Tunnel began to dig into his own.

It had been several weeks since the second confrontation with The Poison Joke Prankster, and the upcoming week was Spring Break. At the suggestion of Princess Celestia, Dinky was spending the week back in Ponyville and -- after getting permission from her mom and Carrot Top -- invited her friends to come along and stay with them. The trio had then left Friday after school to catch the train for Ponyville.

"Do you have breakfast like this every day?" Twinkleshine asked, looking up from her pancakes. Dinky shook her head in response.

"Normally Mom just makes breakfast on her day off," she explained. "Normally she's up first and going to work. So it's either whatever Aunt Carrot Top makes or a bowl of cereal.

"But they're having me help in the office today," Derpy joined in, carrying another plate of pancakes, "so I get to go in later and spend the morning with my muffin and her friends."

She and Carrot Top took several of the pancakes as they sat down to eat.

"So what are you three planning to do today?" Derpy asked before taking a bite.

"I was going to show them around town," Dinky said excitedly. "I thought I could introduce to my friends and show them what we have. Plus, Twinkle really wants to meet Miss Twilight and all her friends."

"Oh?" Carrot Top looked at the white and pink unicorn who nodded excitedly.

"I have always loved stories," Twinkleshine spoke with a grin, "And they are supposed to be the greatest heroes alive now. A chance to actually meet them, and maybe get a first-hoof experience about some of what they done." Her grin grew wider as she practically danced in place with excitement.

"Well then I guess you'll want to visit Applejack first," the yellow earth pony said, "She is the closest one since we aren't far from Sweet Apple Acres. You would also probably want to talk to Rainbow Dash last. When it comes to telling stories about herself, she gets quite worked up and will talk your ear off."

Derpy made a face at Carrot Top. The gray pegasus had known Rainbow Dash for years. She could not get upset because it was true, but still. Derpy then turned to Wind Tunnel.

"What about you? What are you hoping for?" she asked. Wind Tunnel swallowed his mouthful before answering.

"I'm just glad to be out of Canterlot for a while," he answered. "There aren't a lot of pegasi where we live and even fewer around my age because most are in Cloudsdale. Plus not all the unicorns there are as friendly as them." He motioned at Dinky and Twinkleshine. "I'd much rather spend a week with them than be stuck in Canterlot with no close friends."

"...Why did you move to Canterlot anyways?"

"You know," Twinkleshine said, "I've wondered myself."

"Me too," Dinky added.

"I'd rather not talk about it." Wind Tunnel looked down at his plate, poking at the food as he no longer felt hungry.

The rest of breakfast was eaten in silence. Derpy finished hers first, heading off to work after. The three young ponies were next, though Wind Tunnel picked at the rest more than eat it. They cleaned their plates -- at Carrot Top's insistence -- before heading out for the day.

As suggested, the three of them headed to Sweet Apple Acres first. As they walked, a yellow filly with a red mane and tail walked past. Wind Tunnel slowed down as they got closer. His head followed her as she passed, watching her go.

"Who is that?" he asked. The other two stopped to look at who he was talking to.

"That's Apple Bloom," Dinky answered, "She Applejack's little sister. Probably going to meet with her friends to try and get their cutie marks."

"She's..." Wind Tunnel blinked, "beautiful..." His ears and wings give a small twitch.

"Come on Romeo," Twinkle sighed. She grabbed the pegasus with her magic and began to drag him with her as they continued to Sweet Apple Acres.

After speaking with Big Macintosh, the three found their way to the orchard where Applejack was currently working. As soon as they got close, Twinkleshine pulled out a notebook and quill. The unicorn began to ask the orange farm pony many question, much to Applejacks amusement ("I swear, you could almost be Twilight's little sister"). She answered what she could so long as it did not interfere with her work.

Next, the three of them went to Fluttershy's hut. Dinky pointed out The Everfree Forest to them and told them about Zecora. When they reached the hut, it took some coaxing, but Fluttershy came out. Dinky and Wind Tunnel helped take care of the animals outside while Twinkleshine asked Fluttershy questions about the elements and taking care of animals.

When finished there, they headed over to Carousel Boutique. There, Rarity was busy. Her horn glowed as she moved around one of the mannequins, working on the outfit being fitted to it. Hearing Twinkleshine's request, she agreed to answer questions, but was busy to do so and suggested a day later in the upcoming week. With that, the trio began to leave.

"Before you go," Rarity called out, "Dinky, I would like to speak with you in private for a moment."

"Okay," Dinky said before turning to her friends. "I'll be out in a moment." As they left she turned and walked back over to where Rarity stood. "Yes, Miss Rarity?"

"I would like you to come by on your own another time," the designer stated, "I would like to get some new measurements and make the new outfit wear properly. Also, if you are going to continue your activities, we will have to work on something that is far more durable and resilient."

"....What?"

"Oh come now." Rarity turned, her horn continuing to glow. "Do you honestly expect me there are others in Canterlot using an outfit and title based on a local costumed hero?" She lifted up a newspaper and held it out to Dinky. It was a copy of The Canterlot Chronicle with an article about the event at the school. There was even an interview with Principal Authority where she mentioned Mare-Do-Well by name. "A costume, I might add, that I originally designed and also duplicated for you to wear last Nightmare Night."

"Oh," Dinky said in surprise, "that. Uhm... well... Thank you for the offer Miss Rarity, but it's not necessary. I just wore it because that's what I needed to stop the crazy pony. I really don't think I'll be wearing that costume again."

"Seeing as you seem to have lost the hat and cape, that is correct. I will be making you a new one."

"But-" Dinky stopped when Rarity held up a hoof.

"Don't misunderstand. I heard what you said. Now answer me this, after Nightmare Night, did you plan on wearing the outfit again?"

"...Well... maybe once or twice when playing."

"So you had no intent of stopping a real criminal while wearing it?"

"No?"

"Yet you ended up doing so. Who is to say such an event shall not happen again?" Rarity looked down at the filly, who did not answer. "Besides, even if not, it will still be something you could potentially wear next Nightmare Night... Although I suppose that's highly unlikely since most fillies like variety in their costumes from year to year. At the very least, you will be humoring me."

"Okay," Dinky said with a nod.

"Good." Rarity smiled. "Now you go have fun and I shall see you later this week."

After being escorted out of the boutique, Dinky rejoined her friends and the three continued their tour of Ponyville. The trio made their way to Sugarcube Corner. Stepping inside, they saw many ponies sitting through out. Behind the counter stood a yellow-orange stallion with an orange mane wearing a hat.

"Hello children," he called out with a smile. He looked at Dinky a moment. "Now you I recognize, Dinky," he turned to look at the other two, "but I don't think I've seen you or you before."

"Hello Mister Cake Sir," Dinky said, "These are my friends, Twinkleshine and Wind Tunnel."

"Well nice to meet you," Mr. Cake responded before his face shifted into one of thought. "Twinkleshine you say?" He got a nod from the white unicorn. "That's funny, I actually have a letter her from Pinkie Pie for a Twinkleshine." He started looking around behind the counter.

"Pinkie Pie's not here?" Dinky asked.

"Not at the moment. She took Pound and Pumpkin out to the park so they could get some air and watch some of the other ponies play. Ah, here it is." He pulled out an envelope from behind the counter and held it out to Twinkleshine. "For you, young lady."

Twinkleshine used her magic to take a hold of the letter from the baker. She began to unseal and open it to see what's inside.

"Are you three going to stay for lunch?" Mr. Cake asked.

As Twinkleshine opened the envelope, a squeal of a noisemaker filled the air as confetti burst from inside, landing in the unicorns pink mane. The three friends stared a moment to see if anything else came out of it. When nothing else happened, Twinkleshine carefully pulled out the letter and began to unfold it.

"Why don't we order first," Wind Tunnel suggested, "then you can read the letter while we sit and eat."

The three of them placed their orders and took their food to an open table. Dinky and Wind began to eat while Twinkleshine read the letter. The look on her face got Dinky's interest.

"What's it say?" she finally asked.

"It's..." Twinkleshine looked up, blinking in confusion, "It's the answer to the questions that I was going to ask her." She looked from the letter to Dinky. "How did she do that? Not only did she know we were coming here today, but what I wanted to ask her."

"I don't know." Dinky gave a shrug. "Pinkie Pie does all sorts of things that not even dad could figure out. Honesty? I thought she was going to pop out of the envelope herself and shout 'surprise.'"

"But... but that would be IMPOSSIBLE! There's no way for a full grown pony -- for ANY pony -- to be able to fit into an envelope this small."

"So?" Dinky looked up at her, "I once saw Pinkie Pie pop out of a mail slot when I was helping mom at work once."

"A mail slot?" Wind Tunnel asked. "You mean one of those little openings in the door just big enough for a letter?"

"Yeah." Dinky nodded.

"How?" Both of her friends asked, almost simultaneously. Dinky just shrugged and returned to eating her lunch. The two friends stared a moment, the returned to their owns. Twinkleshine kept glancing at the letter, practically expecting Pinkie Pie to pop out of it now.

After lunch the three resumed their tour of Ponyville. They were even in time to see the latest incident and damage caused by The Cutie Mark Crusaders. Dinky did not care all that much. Twinkleshine found it strange and a little amusing. Wind Tunnel stared at Apple Bloom the entire time, hearts filling his eyes. Dinky suddenly got an idea.

"Scootaloo," she called out, "Hey! Scootaloo!"

"What?" Scootaloo called back.

"Are you three done crusading for today?"

The crusaders looked at each other a moment. If they said anything to each other, neither Dinky nor her friends heard any of it.

"I guess so," Scootaloo finally answered as she and her friends came closer, "Why?"

"These are my friends," Dinky said, "Twinkleshine and Wind Tunnel. Guys, this is Scootaloo, Apple Bloom, and Sweetie Belle; The Cutie Mark Crusaders."

"Didn't ah see y'all earlier?" Apple Bloom asked, eyes narrowing as she moved to look closer at Dinky and the other two.

"Yeah." Dinky motioned to her friends again. "I'm giving them a tour of Ponyville and Twinkleshine really wants to meet all of the Elements of Harmony."

"I'm a really big fan," Twinkleshine said with a grin.

"We already visited Applejack, Fluttershy and Miss Rarity," Dinky explained, "and we just left Sugarcube Corner, but Pinkie Pie was busy. So we were going to see Rainbow Dash next," she grinned as she saw Scootaloo perk up with interest, "and I thought that since Twinkleshine wants to hear stories, Scootaloo could take her to meet Rainbow Dash and share all kinds of stories. After all, Scootaloo is Rainbow Dash's biggest fan, right?"

"You bet I am," Scootaloo shouted, hopping off the ground in excitement as she did.

"You mean to tell me," Sweetie Belle said slowly, "You actually think your friend wants to hear Scootaloo talk about Rainbow Dash?"

"I'd love to," Twinkleshine added, "I've been trying to get stories about them all day. The more the better."

"So why don't you follow Scootaloo out to Rainbow Fields," Dinky suggested, "and she can tell you all about Rainbow Dash on the way. When you're done, you can meet us at Miss Twilight Sparkle's library."

"Okay." With that Twinkleshine and Scootaloo started for Rainbow Field, with the orange pegasus chattering as they went. It was probably a safe bet that she spoke the entire time. Dinky then turned to face Wind Tunnel.

"I'm going to go straight to the library and see if Ruby is there," she continued, "Do you want to come with me or look around more?"

"I'd like to look around more," Wind Tunnel responded, but his gaze never looked away from Apple Bloom. While the yellow earth pony did not seem to notice, her friend did.

"Okay," Dinky responded then turned to the other two, "Could one of you please show Wind around for me?"

"Why don't you do it?" Sweetie Belle asked Apple Bloom.

"Me?" Apple Bloom gasped out in surprise. "Why?"

"Why not?" the white unicorn asked. "Besides, I want to hear about Canterlot." Out of sight of her friend, she gave Dinky a wink.

"Oh. Okay." Apple Bloom gave a nod. "Come on Wind Tunnel. Just stick with me."

"Okay," Wind Tunnel said and started following after the youngest of the Apple family like a love sick puppy.

"Thanks," Dinky said as she moved up beside Sweetie Belle.

"No problem," Sweetie Belle responded with a grin. "Besides, I actually do want to hear about Canterlot. I've never been there before and Rarity mostly talks about boring things. Be nice to hear about it from somepony my age."

With that the two unicorns began walking to the library, with Dinky answering Sweetie Belle's questions about Canterlot and it's school for Gifted Unicorns. Sweetie started to lose interest when she started to learn that in some ways it was just like regular school, while in others it was a lot more work and study. She was still quite interested in the magic lessons though, and the filly perked up quite excitedly when she learned they also had music programs.

As they reached the library, the two decided to go their own ways. Sweetie Belle was going to go see how her sister was doing while Dinky went inside to see if Ruby was there and to wait for her other friends to show up.