• Published 11th Jul 2013
  • 1,849 Views, 57 Comments

Unearth - Undermine



A travel diary recounts Pinkie Pie's struggle for survival 10 meters down a hole without any food or company. Narrative told in both 1st-person and 3rd-person.

  • ...
4
 57
 1,849

A Midnight Conversation Between Spike and Fluttershy

Fluttershy walks through the darkened Ponyville. She is returning from her cottage. Even after everything that is happening, she still has a duty to tend her animals, albeit her attitude through it all was numb.

She is about to approach the library when she notices a small dragon creeping out the door.

"Oh, hello Spike-"

"Shh!" he shushes. He closes the door behind him.

"Oops, sorry."

"Naw, it's alright. I was getting some fresh air."

"How are they doing?"

"Alright, I guess. I looks like they're sleeping, but with everything that's going I'm certain that no pony in there is going to be able to sleep."

"Yeah, I'm very sorry that you have to go through this."

"Naw, it's...it's happening and it's going through...that's all I can say."

Fluttershy was surprised by Spike's tone. He spoke very languidly and soft, and his voice sounded deeper than usual. She says to him, "Did you ever hear back from Celestia?"

Spike folds his arms and says, "Yeah, all she said was she was very concerned for Pinkie Pie and that the Air Force will send out a party as soon as possible."

"...that's it?"

"Yup."

"She's not, like, gonna help?"

"Nope. She said she was busy."

"What about Luna? Doesn't she have powers that can, like, go through ponies dreams and whatnot?"

"She never mentioned Luna."

Fluttershy gave Spike a look of confusion, shock, and anger. "Well, that doesn't make any sense! It's like they're letting this whole thing happen!"

"Surprising, huh," he says sarcastically.

"Oh, so you don't care! You don't realize that one of our friends is in serious danger?!"

"Oh, I realize it, all right, and so does Celestia and Luna."

This caught Fluttershy off guard. "What?!"

"...which is why none of this surprises me."

"Why?!"

"What do you mean 'why'? Where have you been in the last several years? Playing innocent forest games with your critter pals?"

Fluttershy does nothing but stares at Spike, confused. Spike lowers his arms and raises his voice loud enough to not be a whisper.

"Think back. Remember all those times when something or someone was in danger, whether it'd be you, me, any of our friends, or Ponyville? Remember? How many times did Celestia, Luna, or the both of them came to help us? Hmm?"

"Uhh..."

"That's right. Can't really remember. They've assisted you guys, the Elements of Harmony, on very, very few occasions, no matter how much danger we were in. You know why? I think I know why. Because all of those dangerous situations fell into the same old story. 'Oh no! A great calamity is at bay! And there's a rift through the group that could tear us apart! Well, no worries! We got the magic of friendship to save you/us/Ponyville! Yay! Everyone is happy again! Time to write a friendship letter!' And look what's happening! A great calamity, Pinkie Pie's stuck in a mine, is at bay, and there's a rift through the group, Rainbow Dash is very pissed off at Twilight, that could tear you guys apart. But give it a day or two, and guess what? Somehow, the magic of friendship will save Pinkie, all loose ends will be tied, everyone will be happy, and I'll get to write a another friendship letter again! It'll end just like it has in the past. That's what I think is going through Celestia and Luna's mind. That this will all turn out like it has in the past."

Silence surrounds the two for a moment. Fluttershy is now staring wide-eyed at Spike, who adjusts himself and lowers his voice back to a whisper.

"But the difference between what's happening now and what has happened in the past is that death is no longer an abstract presence. Pinkie Pie is going to die if something doesn't happen soon. But nothing will happen soon, I can tell you that." Spike turns toward the library.

Fluttershy stops him and says, "So what is going to happen?"

Spike pauses, thinks, and turns back around. "I don't know. I honestly don't know. We've got crazy storms rolling through everyday, Rainbow Dash will probably not be seen for a good few weeks, Twilight can hardly move or talk, and the Air Force won't be looking for her until tomorrow. Besides that, we're in the unknown, and so is Pinkie Pie. And I can guarantee that the only ones who do know what is going on is Celestia and Luna. But like I said, they're not gonna be helping."

Spike puts his claw on the door. He stops and turns to Fluttershy one more time. "Or, y'know. I could be wrong. This is all just what I think. It's not like I've seen and heard everything from the very beginning. I'm just a baby dragon, after all. Good night, Fluttershy."

Spike enters the library quietly. Fluttershy stands alone in the darkness, processing everything Spike had just said.

She looks up and stares at the glowing castle of Canterlot in the distance.


Author's Disclaimer:

Before anyone posts it in the comments, everything Spike said does not reflect how I view the show. I find the show to be well-written, very enjoyable, and very light-hearted (unlike this fanfiction).

Spike's just not in a very good mood.

(But he does have a point)