• Published 7th Jul 2013
  • 514 Views, 24 Comments

Remember the Dawn... - The Crimson Harbinger



Date Sent: 2-23-77. Location: Unknown. Date Recieved:... Starblazer was lost in space. Her crusiers' engines had mysteriously died and had left her stranded in unknown space. Hope of rescue fades as hours turn to days, and days to weeks...

  • ...
2
 24
 514

Chip

Starblazer landed inside the Manehattan, sending a dull thud echoing through the empty ship.

"Alright," She said, rather pleased with herself. "We're here. Now to find Captain Velvet. Got any ideas where she might be?" Ash nodded her head and a miniature Manehattan appeared on her visor.

"I've narrowed down a few locations. She could be here in the observatory," a large section of the Manehattan illuminated yellow. "She could also be in the engine room here," the back half lit red, "or, most likely, she could be on the bridge." A small section on the top shone green. Starblazer took a second to memorize each sections location, then spoke.

"So all we have to do is go to one of these locations and see if she's there?"

"Well, that's not entirely true ma'am. These are the most likely places she could be, not the only places."

"Okay, so if we don't find her at any of these spots, then we search the rest of the ship?"

"Correct." Ash confirmed.

"The entire ship?" She asked in disbelief. "That could take weeks, months even."

"Not so," Ash shook her head, "when the Manehattan was constructed, a transit rail running from the front half of the ship to the back half was installed to allow ponies to move more quickly throughout the ship."

"So we find the transit rail and make for the closest location." Ash nodded. "Great. Now at least we have a plan." She started off, then stopped. "Which way are we supposed to go?"

"You're heading the right direction ma'am. There should be a door on your left."

"Right." Starblazer said as she continued on. When she had walked a short distance, she stopped at an empty doorway. The door appeared to have been ripped from its hinges and lay bent farther down the hall.

"Well that's encouraging," Ash said plainly. Starblazer stepped through the doorway and into a dark room. She switched on her helmet lights and gazed at the ceiling and walls, all covered in claw and scorch marks as though there had been a fierce battle.

"What happened here?" She asked as she continued on. Suddenly something moved in the shadows and Starblazer froze.

"What is it ma'am?" Ash asked quietly.

"Shh!" Starblazer hushed her. "We're not alone." The figure darted once more and Starblazer whipped around.

"Tracking," Ash stated, "it's right behind you ma'am!" Starblazer flipped and tackled the being. She pinned it and got her first real look at what she was dealing with.

"A changeling?" Starblazer said out loud.

"Please don't hurt me," he whimpered.

"Don't worry ma'am, he's no threat to us." Ash confirmed.

"Sorry," Starblazer apologized as she released him, "What are you doing here by yourself?" The changeling sat up and took a moment to catch his breath.

"I was hiding." He said as he brushed himself off, then extended his hoof. "Name's Chip."

"Starblazer." She shook his hoof, then continued her original conversation. "Why were you hiding?"

"I looking for something to eat, but when I saw you, I thought you were one of the creatures and hid in here."

"Something to eat? I thought changelings fed on love." Starblazer said. Chip nodded his head.

"Well, yes and no. I do feed on love, but chocolate works just as well." As if to prove his point, he pulled out a half-eaten candy bar and began munching away at it. The sudden appearance of food made Starblazers stomach growl and she suddenly felt very hungry. Chip took notice and offered her some.

"No thanks," She declined. Chip shrugged and continued eating.

"Suit yourself."

Once he had finished, he wiped his mouth and stood up. After stretching his forelegs and wings, he looked keenly at her armor.

"That's some nice armor you've got there," He complimented. "Mind if I mimic it?" Starblazer shook her head.

"Not at all." There was a momentary flash and then an exact copy of Starblazer's armor stood before her. Chip looked himself up and down, then gave a satisfied nod.

"So, Starblazer," he began, "what are you doing here? I didn't see when we left Equestria."

"I wasn't on Manehattan when it left. I left on Celestia's Sun to come find you." She told him.

"Wait, wait," he held up his hoof, "you were on Celestia's Sun?"

"Yes," She nodded, confused. "Why?"

"And you were the one who sent the message to us?" He ignored her question.

"Again, yes. Why?" She asked again.

"Excellent!" He clicked his hooves together, "Now we can leave this wretched ship and go home!" Now it was Starblazer's turn to stop him.

"We're not going anywhere yet," she said, "not until we find Velvet."

"And any other crew members who may have survived." Ash said over the helmet speakers. A look of confusion crossed over Chip's face.

"Who was that?"

"That's Ash, my AI." Starblazer replied.

"Pleased to meet you." Ash grinned even though Chip couldn't see her.

"Likewise," Chip nodded, then turned his attention to Starblazer. "If you came here just for the captain, I'm afraid you're wasting your time."

"What do you mean I'm wasting my time?" Starblazer inquired.

"After your message came, the ship's AI Virgil went, well, crazy."

"Crazy?" Ash repeated. "How?"

"I don't know. Maybe the message messed him up or he was bored to the point of insanity." Chip guessed, "But I do know this: once the message ended, he locked Velvet in the bridge and kept chanting 'End of stars, end of days' over and over until the intercoms died. I haven't been able to get into the bridge or contact the captain since."

"And what of the rest of the crew?" Starblazer asked.

"Dead." He replied coldly.

"I'm sorry," Starblazer put her hoof on his shoulder.

"It's okay, I'll get over it." He moved toward the exit. "You said you were looking for the transit rail?" Starblazer took a step closer.

"How do you know about that?"

"I overheard. Now are you or aren't you?" He asked.

"We are. Why?"

"Because I know the way. Come on, I'll show you." He walked out of the room, and Starblazer followed closely behind.

Author's Note:

Don't worry, most of it will be explained in the next chapter. Keyword there is "most."