• Published 17th Feb 2012
  • 1,872 Views, 38 Comments

And I quote! - Karrakaz



short stories based on interesting quotations from people and ponies alike.

  • ...
5
 38
 1,872

Paranoia in reverse.

Author: Karrakaz
Quotation: "I am a kind of paranoiac in reverse. I suspect people of plotting to make me happy." ~J.D. Salinger

After giving Doodle and Mathilda their privacy. (two and two and two plus one added up to leaving them alone after all.)

The Party pony made her way back to the town square and, once there she began to entertain everypony in need of a smile.
At least until it was party o'clock on her internal timepiece, which meant that she had to get to sugarcube corner fast!

A shadow was left where the pink mare had been playing hop scotch with a group of fillies.
Not having noticed that it's owner had long since gone the shadow kept on playing.
Until it noticed the fillies had stopped and were all staring at it, at which point it figured out something was missing.
It face-hoofed before promptly chasing after the mare.

Pinkie was already hard at work setting up her party cannon for the big party she had planned in the library when her shadow caught up with her.
The shadow poked it's owner, Pinkie ignored it.
The shadow poked Pinkie harder, Pinkie turned around and gasped.
"Ghhhhuuuuuuuuuu, there you are! I thought I'd lost you!" The pink mare hugged her shadow tightly for a moment, and then let go.

Turning back to her party cannon she said "Could you hand me Party munitions type P-35?
The shadow nodded as fast as the pink mare herself sometimes did and produced a cylinder shaped object which it handed to Pinkie Pie.
Pinkie took the cylinder (which read: 35 Kilofun use only in party emergency) and bent a few rules of space time to make sure it fit snugly inside her party cannon.
She turned back to her shadow, "I'm going to go get the party cannon into position, you go get the stapler and the custard alright?"

Once again the shadow nodded, the custard and the stapler had become somewhat of a routine since the Party mare had seen a sonic rain-boom for the first time.

Pinkie wheeled her cannon into position, but before she could set it off she was tackled by a green and purple dragon.

"Hey Pinkie....!" the baby dragon chuckled nervously after he had dusted himself off.
"Hia spike! What'cha doin'?" The mare replied shaking the dust off herself, as well as a few streamers which hadn't been there before.
"well ehhh, you see." Spike looked at the ground making nervous circles with his foot.

Not one to wait patiently, the pink mare began hopping in place, humming a tune to herself.
"Twilight told me to tell you that...." the dragon looked around again searching for something.

He sighed, and resigned himself to failure. "Twilight and the girls wanted to throw you a surprise party and I was supposed to come get you." he explained "But Dash was worried that you'd go all Cranky Pie again so she told me to tell you.... that" he finished lamely looking at the party mare fearfully.

Pinkie had stopped bouncing and was now hanging suspended in the air.
This lasted for close to a minute before she finally descended and gave the dragon a stern look.
"Alright mister, Spill the beans!" she said, pulling a desk lamp out of nowhere and shining in his face like she'd done some time ago.
Spike squinted "But Pinkie, I just told you everything." he pointed out.
The mare, who was already bouncing again looked at him, her neck twisted so far that her head seemed to be upside down on her shoulders "Oh that's right! Well I guess we should go to the library then! Wouldn't want to be late to my own surprise party!" She said after spinning around like a centrifuge for a couple of seconds.

The baby dragon blinked once, then twice. "But Pinkie aren't you upset? I just ruined the surprise." he asked trepidation clear in his voice.

"Of course not silly!" she said before leaning over to him.
"Don't tell anypony, but I'm very good a faking being surprised." she whispered before straightening
"And besides, you guys care enough about me to want to make sure you don't hurt me accidentally, I could never be upset about that!"
And with that Pinkie hopped and bounced her way to the library, spike running after her, trying to keep up.

Opening the door for Pinkie, Spike opted to remain outside for a moment, scared of what might happen if Twilight suspected that he'd 'spilled the beans'

"Surprise!" "S'prise!" "Surprise Pinkie!" "um, surprise." "Surprise darling!"
Spike had to admit that Pinkie's acting skills were terrific, nopony suspected that she'd known, he briefly wondered if she'd forgotten about it herself.

"Oh thank you so much girls!" Pinkie positively beamed. "I don't get surprise parties often enough, I mean I organize one every week or so, but other ponies don't nearly throw them often enough for my tastes!"

"I'm just glad you didn't get upset like last time." Dash said, lazily hovering overhead.
The other girls nodded in agreement.

"Oh Dashie you don't have to worry about that anymore! You know how I used to be scared that some ponies were planning to make me sad by not being my friends anymore? Well now I'm on the other side of that bit!"
The Pink pony exclaimed, her smile so enormous that it would have separated the top half of any other pony's face from the bottom half.
"Ever since you guys threw me that surprise birthday party, I totally suspect ponies of plotting to make me happy!" by now she was hanging from the ceiling. "In fact I know that there are at least five ponies and a dragon who are trying to make me happy right now! Which makes me even happier!" she started bouncing on the ceiling until Twilight spoke up.

"Pinkie!" The unicorn exclaimed holding her head in her hooves "You shouldn't be able to bounce on the ceiling, that's not how physics work!"
Hearing this the incarnation of laughter was promptly subjected to a sense of vertigo and landed squarely on her belly.
"Oh Twilight, you can be such a party pooper sometimes." She said blowing a stray lock of candy pink hair out of her face.

Her friends all laughed and gathered around for a group hug.
And them smiling, to her, was the best thing they could do if they wanted to make her happy. "I love you guys!"

Outside, near the now abandoned party cannon, a shadow was scratching it's head and looking around in confusion, wondering where it's owner had gone this time.