• Published 25th Jun 2013
  • 994 Views, 15 Comments

The Green Apple - EncoreTheBatpony



Little Applebloom one day is trying to get her cutie mark, but she hears a voice coming from a object.

  • ...
1
 15
 994

A curious voice

It was mid-afternoon in sweet apple acres. The groves of apples trees gently moved in the breeze and the various types of apples shined brightly in the sun.

It was a beautiful day, Applejack had gone off to town to return some farm books to Twilight, Big Mac was feeding the pigs, and ol granny smith was asleep in her rocker. In fact the only member of the family that was out in the fields was the youngest of the clan, Applebloom herself.

"Alright ya can do this." The little fill told herself "You've seen Mac and Applejack do this a hundred million times afore."

Today was the day, she told herself. This was the day she was finally going to get a cutie-mark on her flank. And she was going to make sure that it was an apple themed one just like the rest of her family. She intended to get it in...apple bucking. Heck, if the rest of the family could knock an entire tree empty in one kick then genetically speaking she should be able to do the same.

"Alright, time to get this ere thang done." She said with confidence. Applebloom positioned herself in front of the tree, gazing up at it with admiration and determination.

Smiling proudly at the idea of knocking down all of those pretty green apples and her cutie mark appearing filled her with all kinds of giddieness. Then then turned around, planted her front hooves firmly on the ground then gritting her teeth and gathering all the strength she could in her back legs she gave the most powerful kick she could and shouted "YEE-HAAA" as she stuck the tree.

Not a single apple feel from the ground, barely a leaf quivered. "AHHH COME ON!" She cried as she tried again and again but nothing happened. And with each failure her confidence dwindled more and more

As this was happening, a small object rested against a tree nearby. This object was a small wood pony faced shaped mask.

She gave one last pitiful try and once again it was met with no success and her hooves were starting to hurt. She finally stopped and her ears lowered as did her head as she collapsed onto the ground with a loud huff followed by a sigh. "Aww who am I foolin? I'm no apple bucker.

The mask watched as this was happening and felt pitty for the yellow filly. It decided to talk to her. "Um...excuse me?"

She lifts up her head slowly? "Huh?" Looks around, wondering if that had been Big Mac or maybe Applejack coming back from town. When she did not see anypony she just rested her head back down on the ground, thinking it had been her imagination.

"Pardon me, but I'm over here little filly"

This time Apple Bloom does get up and starts walking over, “Sweetie-Belle? Scootaloo? Is that you?”

"No I'm..." Gets inturrped by a bell off in the distance and Big Mac yells out "Applebloom supper time!"

"Coming" She shouted back, giving one last look in the direction the voice had been coming from and then heads off back to the house for dinner, though in her mind she was wondering who had been talking to her.

Sighs as it watches her trot away back to the farm house and Celestia's sun begins to set.

Dinner had been uneventful, Applebloom had simply picked at her food with a few bites every now and again. Her elder sister had notied this and asked if everything was okay?

Rather then tell her of yet another failed attempted to get a cutie-mark she had simply said that it was a stomachache and excused herself from the table for bed.

She trotted up the stairs and went to her room and laid down on her bed staring at the rising moon and thought solemnly 'just give me on chance...give me a chance to get ma cutie-mark please.'. She then drifted off into a quiet sleep having almost forgotten about the voice in the groves. It did not come back to her until the very edge of the sun had begun to creep back into the morn.

The moon still hung proudly in the sky when Applebloom had sat up in her bed and yawned, initially she had trotted out of her room to go get a drink of water when suddenly the memory of the voice returned to her mind.

Curiosity got the better of her and she silently crept down the stairs which occasionally creaked at which point she glanced up at her families rooms to make sure they did not hear her. Once she had gotten outside she silently went back through the groves to the the spot she had been in yesterday.

The mask was asleep in the spot it was in early, not noticing the young filly coming its way

Applebloom looked around, squinting her eyes in the twilight of the dawn. "Hello? Anyone here." She called

Hear the voice and mummers in sleep "Huh..?"

"Is someone out here?" She asked, she then heard some howling in the distant and eeped at the thought of tymber wolves.

Is woken up by the filly's squeal. "Huh? Who is there?"

She is now looking around intently, "Alright now, who is out here?" She called, trying to sound tough. "Ma sister has a big ol dog. If yer out here trying to snatch our apples he's gonna take a big ol bite out of ya."

It sees that is the young filly. "Oh I'm not here for apples, young one"

Continue to look around and walk towards the sound of the voice "Then what in tarnation at you here fer? And where in Celestia are ya?"

"I'm right over here." It said trying to direct her toward it

Is getting slightly frustrated by this? “Where is here?” She is betting that is some kind of joke that Pinkie Pie or maybe Rainbow dash had planned for her big sister. She continues to walk towards the direction of the mask but cannot even notice it.

“APPLEBLOOM!!!!!" Yelled a worried Applejack galloping through the orchard looking for her younger sibling

Once again eeps at the sound Applejacks's voice and looks in the direction from which it is coming. "I'm over here" She yelled back.

The mare sees her sister and runs to her with worry and anger in her eyes. "Where in tarnation were ya missy?"

The little filly's eyes darted back and forth as she tried to come up with a excuse for what she was doing out here. "I was...looking fer ma saddlebag." She said sheepishly. "I accidentally left it out here last night when I came in for dinner and I came out to look for it."

Applejack stared into her sisters eyes and she could tell she was lying, after all she is the element of honesty. She decided to let her off the hook this one time. "Alright, y'all can fetch your bags in the mornin, but your punishment fer leavin the house is to clean the pig stales, y'all hear?"

Appleblooms nods her head. "Yes sis." Cleaning the pig stye was the worst possible job on the farm...not to mention the smelliest job. Applebloom followed Applejack back to the house but once again looked over her shoulder back towards the tree where she was sure the voice had been coming from.

The mask sighed as it watch the poines disappear into the night "Maybe tomorrow..." It said before it embraced sleep again

Author's Note:

A story my bro and me are writing together. credit for writing goes to him and me http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Knight-Bishop