• Published 25th Jun 2013
  • 515 Views, 28 Comments

A Most Unusual Little Island - LordSmokedMeatsandFishes



Before Equestria's founding a small exploration ship was sent to discover new lands should the peace summit fail. The crew returned years later with no memory of what they found. All we know is what was in the journal of the ships chronicler...

  • ...
0
 28
 515

The island.

Day, actually I’m not entirely sure.

We made it. I don’t know how, but we have made it to safety. Somehow, Captain Seastorm and a few others were able to keep us on course. Several of the crew are missing, most likely long dead. The ship seems to be held together on nothing but hope, and last minute carpentry. We are all in various stages of exhaustion, hypothermia, and seasickness. But, we are alive, and we are here. Now, we just have to figure out where here is.

The weather is rather temperate, and the sea is calm. In fact, there seems to be little if any movement at all in the ocean. I stood on the upper deck to join the rest of the crew, and we saw one of the most beautiful things we have ever seen, land. It took most of the day but we managed to catch enough of the wind, with what remained of our sails, to make it to what I can only describe as a most unusual little island. Perhaps it’s just the darkness playing tricks on us, but from what we can see of it, there is nothing. Just a massive field of gray nothing. Then again, perhaps our opinion is being darkened by the memory of our recent escapade. I’m confident that in the morning when the expedition goes out we will find a bountiful land of limitless possibilities.


Day 1 post storm.

Note to self; stop making optimistic assumptions, they never work out. So far, it appears that our original observation is unnaturally accurate. There does not appear to be anything here. A pegasus scouting party was sent ahead followed by a small landing party. The landing party was made up of myself, Farsight, Grizzled Hoof an earth pony with some military experience, and Harry Hypothesis some scientific unicorn with a needlessly complicated name. The oddness began the moment we set hoof on the beach. What we had thought was a trick of the light, proved all too real, the island was gray. Not a shining silvery grey, or a foreboding dark grey, but pure simple gray.

As we explored this massive beach of gray sand, Grizzled Hoof noted that it looked like the waves haven’t touched the shore for a long time. There were no shells, rocks, or plants of any kind. The sand itself was completely gray even near the shore. We are not sure how far the island goes, but it seems to stretch many miles. It might even be a small continent. Or at least, we hope so, if it is then that would mean it isn’t an endless nothing. No island this size could be devoid of plants, or well, anything. Could it? The pegasus scouting party should be here soon. In the meantime we will continue to search for well, anything that isn’t sand.


Day 1 cont.

It has been several hours since the previous entry; in that time we have made a disturbing discovery. It all started when the pegasus scouting party returned with their information. They had already been to the other side of the island, which is apparently only about fifty miles. As far as they can tell, there is nothing. No plants, animals, or anything aside from this strange gray sand. Even that is up to debate, as Grizzled Hoof tasted a small sample of it, and almost immediately spit it out. When asked how it tasted he said, like nothing. Absolutely nothing.

He went on to describe how everything with a direct connection to the earth such as sand or dirt will have some distinctive taste. Sand tends to be salty, dirt high in nutrients etcetera. But apparently this gray material was nothing of the sort. Whatever it is, it was not made naturally. However shocking this revelation was, it was nothing compared to what we noticed next, our hoof prints. Or more accurately, lack thereof.

It was Farsight who noticed it as we turned around to return to the ship. There had not been so much as a breeze the entire time we were on that island, and yet none of our hoof prints were visible. It was like they had been covered up, or were never there in the first place. As we continued walking, I told our group to stop and look behind them. In doing so we saw that none of our hoof prints were there, even the ones we had made no more then a few second ago.

Wanting to test this, we had Farsight flying backwards keeping an eye on our hoof prints. Things were fine at first, we walked for several minutes and he noted nothing unusual. Then, he suddenly sneezed. It was for no more then a second, and yet when he looked back at our hoof prints they were already gone.

For the second test, all of us started walking backwards to maximize the number of hoof prints being created. As we continued walking there was nothing unusual. Then one of the pegasus decided to check our hoof prints further back, just outside our field of vision. The news he returned was unnerving but not entirely unexpected. Any hoof prints outside our field of vision were gone.

Eventually, we grew weary of these tests and decided to simply get to the ship as quickly as possible. But then, one of the pegasus grew restless, and flew high into the air while he waited for us to catch up. He returned shortly afterword’s telling the other pegasus they had to see what he saw. They returned shortly afterward, and asked me what a shape with six sides was called.

Confused I told them a hexagon. When I asked where this random line of inquiry came from, they all looked at each other as if not sure how to put it. They then told me that the island was a hexagon. I did not see the issue in this; it is odd but not impossible for landmasses to have a vague shape. I told them this and they insisted that this was different and that I had to see it for myself.

Deciding to humor them (and have a distraction from the trek to the ship) I allowed them to carry me into the sky. When I looked down, I saw that they did not exaggerate. The island was not shaped like a hexagon. It was one. A perfectly angled, symmetrical, (this can’t possible be real but I’m looking right at it) hexagon. The scientist was of course aghast to hear such information, he prattled on for the next several minutes about the odds against such an event occurring. I didn’t catch the details, in fact I starting tuning him out after the first twenty seconds.

As we returned to the ship, we looked back to the shore, and noted that there was no sign that we had every so much as set hoof on that island. We told the crew of our findings. At first they thought we were joking about there being nothing. Then, they were simply confused as we tried to tell them that no hoof prints stayed in place, and what a hexagon was. Fortunately, the Captain was able to placate them by reminding them that we had good weather, and would be able to repair the ship without worry of another blizzard.

He then took me aside, and asked me if it would be safe for more of the crew to go to the island. After thinking about it, I told him it should be, but that he should be ready to evacuate the crew at a moments notice. He agreed, and asked if I would be comfortable returning. After much mental debate I said that I would. Despite how that island unnerves me, it will at least provide me with something to distract me from the fact that we are in uncharted waters, almost a month from home, in a damaged ship, with diminishing resources. With all that as a comparison, vanishing hoof prints and impossibly shaped islands doesn’t seem so bad.


Day 2 post storm.

I accompanied a group of the crew back to the island. The Captain decided we need a break of sorts. I suspect its also an excuse to keep us out of the way while the ship is repaired by ponies that know what their doing. One of the first things the crew did was test out the hoof print story I told them. After the initial shock wore off they dedicated most of the day to trying to figure out how it happened.

Soon a complex system of spotters, and hoof print makers was formed. Then one earth pony had the idea to make as big of a mess in the sand as possible. Sand castles were formed, surrounded by little moats, with water brought from the ocean.

Some ponies were buried up to their neck in the sand, and then quickly dug out after it was found they suffered from a severe fear of paralysis (again we’re sorry Windmaker). After that simple holes were dug. Followed by one very big hole, which was then filled with water and converted into a salt-water pool.

In all honesty, this was one of the most enjoyable days I have had in a long time. I think we all enjoyed seeing the mess we had made of this preposterously pristine place more then we should have. As we all turned around to head back to the ship, one of us remembered why we had caused such a mess in the first place.

We immediately turned around and saw nothing. Like we had never even been there at all. At first the crew was angry, if not indignant that the lovely mess they had worked so hard on all day was gone. That angry swiftly turned to fear as we all realized that the same mess had been wiped away in no less then a few seconds. Needless to say none of us feel like returning to the island for a while.


Day 3 Post Storm.

Good news today. The ice trapping Ash Mcgee has finally melted and somehow he is still alive. When we found him he was soaking wet and in a state of shock. After making sure he was properly restrained we took him up to the deck and he spent most of the morning staring at the island. We were starting to fear that he had become a vegetable, until he asked for something to eat. Captain Seastorm still wants him in the brig after his initial incident, but I don’t think he minds. It is one of the warmer parts of the ship after all, and he complains that there is still a slight chill in the air.

In other news, the repairs are coming along even faster on the ship. Yesterdays little incident has provided excellent motivation for the crew to get us as far away from here as possible. It wont be easy, we have used up almost all of our spare materials to repair the ship. Even when we get it done, we still have to get home and hope we don’t have a similar storm. Meanwhile, every last bit of sea biscuit and sour cabbage has to be rationed as our supplies dwindle.

Hopefully we’ll be able to, hold on. There appears to be some sort of commotion happening on deck, I will return shortly although it’s probably nothing but an argument among the carpenters.

Day 3 cont.

I find my self at a lost for words. Although perhaps the simplest explanation is the best one. We are not alone, there is something on the island.

During Farsight's break, he noticed strange shapes on the island that we know weren't there before. Word of this spread nervousness among the crew like a fungal infection. This evolved into a full blown plague of panic after Farsight used his telescope in an attempt to decipher the shapes. They proved to be remarkable simple to discover which did nothing to sooth our concern. The shapes weren’t shapes at all, they were letters. Bold geometrically perfect letters spelling out a simple yet ominous message.

GO AWAY

A head count was made, but every crewmember was accounted for. Due to the small space of the ship most of us have an alibi. Those that don’t are earth pony and unicorns that couldn’t possible have reached the island without somepony else knowing. Whatever made that message was on the island. And if the message is any indication, it isn’t fond of us in the slightest.


Day 4 Post Storm

We looked upon the island this morning, and were shocked to discover that not only was the message GO AWAY still there, but it appeared to be bigger then it was before. There is no doubt now that something must be on this island as the whole ship was on lockdown last night. Every half hour now there is a crewmember claiming to have seen something moving on the island. But of course when we all look there is nothing there. Nothing but the island and the message.

I would write this off as hysteria, spreading among the crew except; well I think I’ve seen it too. It was only for a second, but I swear that I saw some shape moving on the island. I could have almost sworn that it was a pony, except there was something… off about it. Something unnatural. I don’t know how to describe it except from what I saw it didn’t seem to move right.

It moved unnaturally fast and yet if I didn’t know any better, I would swear that its limbs never left the ground. I’m all for exploration, but I hope we leave this island soon. Not because of our lowering supplies, or restlessness, or even homesickness. But because for some reason I can't quite explain, I am horrified that we might come into contact with whatever that thing is. And the thought of it disturbs me in ways I don’t understand.


Day 5 Post Storm

Today we were all awoken by the surprised shouts of whoever was on watch this morning. I was content to ignore it, as it was probably just another false alarm, but then, more surprised shouting followed. Finally, Windmaker burst into my room and told me I had to come onto the deck immediately. After pushing my way through the crowd and onto the deck I saw it.

Whatever it was, it looked like a gray pony. Or more accurately, a sculpture of a pony. Or even more accurately, a sculpture made by an artist, that had only heard about ponies from hearsay, and drunken ramblings, and was half drunk himself when he made it. Staring through the telescope, I saw that its legs looked like tubes, with no visible joints or even hooves. Its torso was similarly designed, almost looking like a smooth rectangular barrel.

The head was nothing more then a rectangle. It had no visible ears, mouth, or even nose. But what it did have were eyes. Which weren’t so much eyes as they were empty black holes. Despite this, I couldn’t shake the feeling that it was watching us, waiting to see what we would do.

There was much bickering among the crew, as to what to do about this apparition. Some wanted to ignore it and finish the repairs, some wanted to go see what it was, and some wanted to move the ship as far away as possible, no matter what state the ship was in. We all turned to Captain Seastorm, who had been oddly quiet during the proceedings. Finally, he decided that a small landing party was to investigate what that thing was and to leave at the first sign of trouble.

To ensure this, the landing party would be comprised of two volunteers. Guess who drew the short straw? Fortunately my partner was the pegasus Windmaker, so at least I knew I had a somepony I could rely on. So, we flew to that godsforsaken island to see if we could figure out what that thing was. It was quiet as we flew there. Neither of us could think of anything to say, and the trip ended much too quickly, as all trips to dreaded destinations do. We landed a few feet away, and slowly walked towards it to get a better look. I must also note that our hoof prints continued to disappear as they had in days past. As we approached the thing I couldn’t help but note how it looked even more unnatural up close.

Despite the uncanny pony like shape it had no visible fur, mane, or even cutie mark. Its “skin” was comprised of a simple unreflective gray material that was almost metallic in nature. As we continued to study it, Windmaker noted that it was the same color as the sand. In fact due to the lack of hooves, it seemed to have grown from the sand itself. Then as we argued over who would have to touch the thing, it did perhaps the most horrific thing of all. It spoke to us.

“Why are you here?”