• Published 25th Jun 2013
  • 515 Views, 28 Comments

A Most Unusual Little Island - LordSmokedMeatsandFishes



Before Equestria's founding a small exploration ship was sent to discover new lands should the peace summit fail. The crew returned years later with no memory of what they found. All we know is what was in the journal of the ships chronicler...

  • ...
0
 28
 515

The figure speaks.

Day 5 post storm continued.

It spoke to us. On one hoof, I should be excited. We have discovered what is obviously not a pony, or anything that we have ever heard of. On the other hoof, what we discovered was something so unnatural so bizarre that it disturbs me to even think of it.What unnerved me most, wasn't the fact that it talked, but the way it talked. Its voice had no emotion in it, but there were fluctuations. The first couple of words were in a high pitch that got lower and lower as it went on. It was spoken in a tinny tone, as if the words were spoken through a throat of metal.

I was the first to respond, although all I did was ask the thing why it was here. It then turned to look at me. But, it didn’t turn its neck, it simply moved its entire body to face my direction. All without lifting a single limb, as if the island itself moved the thing. It stared at me for what seemed like minutes, and responded by telling me it had always been here, that this was its domain. Neither of us knew how to respond.

It then confused us more, by asking us if we were and I quote “servants of the abomination”. To which we responded, that we had no idea what it was talking about. If a statue were capable of looking confused, I would swear that this being did just that. It then asked, “If you are not servants of the abomination, then what are you?”

Surprised (and after deciding to make the conversation as simple as possible) we simply said that we were ponies from the Three Tribes. The thing expressed more confusion, saying it had never heard of such a thing, and demanded that we explain.

So we briefly explained the basics. We gave a brief summary of our homelands, of the strange weather that affected our homes, and of our mission to discover new lands should the peace summit fail. The thing then interrupted us, and asked very simply “Why would it fail?”

Well, I explained to it how the Three Tribes did not necessarily get along. This seemed to cause the thing much distress as it very visibly shook. After it had calmed down it said to me “But you all require each other to survive. Why would you not do everything to ensure your mutual benefit? Even if you found new land you would still need the other tribes to ensure your survival.”

I tried to explain that there were many factors that complicated things. Things like a history of distrust, and military matters. It responded that these were inadequate excuses, that the only logical explanation was a mutual insanity of our species. Then, its tinny voice seemed to soften slightly, and I think it was attempting to display pity as it told us that we are and I quote, “Not servants of the abomination, merely its pitiful playthings. That is the only reasonable explanation.“

Windmaker, not one to take insults lightly responded that the pegusus were the playthings of nothing, and angrily asked “who the hay” the being thought he was. The being seemed to be lost in thought, as if it had never considered this question before.

It then said to us “I am eternal. I existed when this world was nothing, and I will be there when this world becomes nothing again. I existed when the first living thing grew, and I was the one that destroyed it. Under my rule, the whole world was like this island. I delayed the spread of the abomination throughout the millennia, even as it shaped the world and created things such as you. The very rules of the universe itself are mine to manipulate whenever necessary to maintain peace. My true form cannot be perceived by the likes of you, forcing me to adopt this crude shell. But, everything must have a name, this I understand better then all. You may call me, Order”.

Taken aback by this explanation, Windmaker (much more politely) asked what it wanted from us. Order responded, “Did you not see my sign? Can you not follow even the simplest of instructions? I want you to leave.” Still confused, Windmaker asked why, to which Order responded that our presence brings madness to the last bastion of sanity. Confused, I asked it to explain. It told us to move to the right.

Still confused, but not willing to anger Order we did. As we did a miraculous thing happened, our hoof prints remained where they were. As we continued to stare, the prints disappeared, as if some being were filling it with sand. Order told us that this land had been in a constant state of stability, never changing always perfect. Until we came that is.

“Every step you take tarnishes the perfection of my land. I have been most fair in allowing your continued existence. Now I give you this ultimatum. Leave, or I will make you leave. “ I did my best to explain to the being that we had no desire to stay, and would leave as soon as our ship was repaired.

After quickly explaining what a ship was, it seemed placated. Saying it had forgotten how limited beings such as us could be. Order then demanded that we leave the island immediately, and not return unless told to. Not willing to risk the wrath of this being, we immediately complied. Upon returning to the ship, we were besieged with questions regarding our encounter. After explaining as best we could, it was decided almost unanimously that we could have the ship fixed by tomorrow and leave immediately.

Even as I write this, the crew continues to make repairs and set a course for the most probable path home. And, even as I write this, I know that this thing that calls itself Order is still where we left it, watching us. I shudder to think what would happen if we dared to return to its island. Although, I also shudder to think what would happen if it every left its island. Maybe it’s just beyond my understanding, but the way I see it, you can’t just be by yourself for countless millennia, make contact with something, and then just forget about it. Can you?


Day 6

We were so close. That’s all I can think of as I stare into the infinity or whatever void we are currently floating in. I don’t know what’s happened to the crew, half have fallen asleep. Or are they in a coma? It’s impossible to tell. The other half seem to be frozen. Not in a block of ice sense (well, except for poor Ash) but frozen as if time itself doesn’t work for them any more. And to top it all off, my silver pocket watch has gone missing. Although, I feel like I’ve gotten ahead of myself. For the benefit of any that may find this well-worn journal, I will attempt to recount the events that led to our state for as long as I can.

We were finally all set, and in passable condition. We were going to sail away from Order and his little island, and do our best to forget about the whole ordeal, when it happened. The blizzard returned. I know it sounds absurd but it’s the same blizzard. There’s just a strange feeling in the air that could only belong to that great storm that tormented us not so long ago. Well, that and Ash Mcgee huddling in his cell yelling “The Cold is back! The Cold is back,” also helps.

The crew of course, started panicking, caught between the proverbial rock and hard place. I must say, I did not envy Captain Seastorm when he was asked what we should do. His response was simple, “we know what to expect with the blizzard, and I for one don’t want to know what the crazy on the island can do”. Of course, this didn’t mean we had to sail right into the blizzard, so we decided that sailing in the opposite direction would be the better plan.

As we sailed, Farsight noticed an odd occurrence with the storm. It had stopped, as if it had run headfirst into a wall. Absurd as it sounds, that’s exactly what it looked like. I started to wonder if we might make it after all. Then, I felt a slight breeze. A chilling all to familiar breeze. I swear that I heard a cry of sadistic joy as the blizzard slipped through whatever barrier was there and floated straight towards us. Then, a horrid unnatural shriek filled the air, like metal scraping against a massive chalk board.

I looked and saw it came from the island, more specifically Order who still stood where we had left him yesterday. However, he didn’t look like a statue made by a drunken sculptor anymore, or any living thing for that matter. Instead, what we saw was a massive hexagonal column erupting from the island, and extending toward the sky. As the blizzard blew by, the column literally punched it. It punched a blizzard. And it worked.

The blizzard stopped in its tracks, and then responded with a horrid howling as the wind picked up again. This was silenced by a loud and audible booming noise. Then, strange appendages grew from the column. They were massive limbs, with what looked like talons at the end of them. Talons with a strange round shape instead of claws, but talons nevertheless. The limbs then proceeded to beat the blizzard into submission.

As this occurred, the wind began to sound like hundreds of ponies crying out in fear. None of us had any idea what it meant, and I’m sure none of us (except maybe Ash) really cared. All that mattered was the blizzard was gone. Destroyed. It looked like our problems would be over, and we could sail home to whatever awaited us. Then, the column turned to look at us with what I can only describe, as a face. A hexagon shaped face comprised of six equilateral triangles, but a face nevertheless. Even with such a vague shape, we could tell it wasn’t very happy with us, and it was coming closer.

Before we could continue, its limbs reached out and grabbed our ship, holding us in place. Despite its gargantuan size, when the structure spoke, it didn’t scream, shout, or even raise its voice. Instead, it spoke in that same quiet unnatural voice we had heard before. Yet, we understood it clearly, as if it was speaking right next to us.

It is at this point that the details are starting to leave me, although I recall the basic idea. It referred to the blizzard as a “wendigo” or some such thing, accusing us of bringing it to its home. Despite Orders monotone voice you could sense the anger it hinted at. He went on about how only a truly vile and idiotic race could call a windigo storm upon itself, and that we deserved whatever punishment the wendigo saw fit.

Now, this part I remember clearly, as Order continued to speak about how we have forfeited our right to continue as a species or something, Captain Seastorm flew right up to his face. When he was less then a few feet away, Order stopped his prattling, as if finally recognizing the presence of the Captain. The Captain then promptly shouted an inelegant but effective “SHUT UP!” and bucked him right in the face.

The Captain then went into a tirade that is of a colorful nature and therefore not fit to be chronicled. However, the idea was he had no idea what Order was talking about, what gave him the right to judge us, and where he could shove various “things” into assorted orifices.

Order accused the Captain of not just madness, but of being suicidal. To which the Captain responded, “Death would be a welcome reprieve, as long as I don’t have to hear your rattling”. Order seemed to be stunned by this response, and for the longest moment nothing moved, not even the waves. It was as if the ocean itself was holding its breath in anticipation.

It was then that I realized, that we weren’t waiting to see what would happen next. We were waiting because we literally could not move. Suddenly, there was a flash of light, and the image of a hexagon comprised of six equal triangles was burned into my mind. None of us remember what happened next. Although we can all agree that there was pain. Terrible searing pain.

As if the deepest recesses of our minds were cut open with surgical precision. Not out of malice, oh no. By a much worse and potentially destructive force, ignorance, and curiosity. Beyond the pain, I remember nothing of what happened, except for a single phrase muttered by Order. “Perhaps there is potential with these creatures.”

When we came to our senses, well those of us that did, we found ourselves still on the ship. However, we were, and still are floating in what appears to be an empty void. Somehow, we can still feel movement as our ship is propelled foreword by some unknown force. I can only hope that it will end soon.


Day unknown

I awoke today with half the crew asleep, a quarter of the crew delirious, and a few still apparently frozen in time. We have no idea where we are or how we got here. The last thing I remember was freezing in the blizzard. I have tried reading my journal to fill in the gaps but it describes what must be mad ramblings. Some nonsense about an island, hoof print eating sand, and a pony that was a statue or something like that.

I have tried speaking with Windmaker and the Captain or really any crewmember that can still talk sense but they are just as confused if not more so. Poor Ash is still frozen. And to top it all off my watch is missing. Now, I wont even be able to tell what time it is as we drift in this vast impossible void. Glad I at least remember how to keep my priorities straight.

Entry number oh who am I kidding it doesn’t matter anymore.

Good news, none of the crew is delirious or frozen in time anymore. Bad news, they are all asleep. Or in a coma, I can’t tell, I’m not a doctor. Still in the void, and I now think my pocket watch must have fallen off or something. Nopony has stolen it, I checked. The entire ship. Limbo gives you a lot of free time.

If anypony, or heck, anything should find this journal, please know I tried to hold on for as long as I could. I have been awake for several days now. Or has it been hours? Without my watch I can't tell. I have been forced to reread this journal countless times just to remember where I am now, I think

Yes my memory is definitely going, it seems to be vanishing faster now. I must keep writing before I forget not to fall asleep. If I do I’m not sure I will ever wake up again. I am continuing to write just to have something to do, but I’m not sure how long

Going faster now. Even as I write, I cant remember how we got here, and I just read it not twenty seconds ago. There are notes written on the pages sides and everything

Feeling sleepy, but must keep writing, wait how much ink is

Going to bed. Will continue in morning.

*

This was the third time that I had read the journal, and I was still unsure what the best course of action was. Things were precarious enough in the new Government of Equestria that had been set up only a year before. The sightings of the “ghost ship” that had appeared in the harbor of the old earth pony territory had caused enough of a stir. Detaining the sailors until we could figure out what had happened, wasn’t doing anything to help quell the rumors.

“If you ask me, the best course of action is just to tell the truth. They were a small expedition force sent to find new lands to live should the worst come to pass. What’s the harm now Violet?” Asked my associate Miss Inform.

“Nothing, for now,” I replied. "However, until we fully understand what happened on that ship, we cant risk releasing them. One of them was frozen for goodness sake!”

“Oh yeah, what happened to that pony anyway?”

“Well he died. Like you would expect a pony that was frozen and thawed out twice to do.” I shuddered at the memory of the corpse, its face frozen in a mixture of fear and hatred. If what we were beginning to understand about the wendigos was correct, that hatred was probably his downfall.

Looking around my office, I sighed at the mess in front of me. The three tribes coming together sounds like a great idea on paper. Of course, most ponies don’t realize how much paperwork goes into combining three completely different forms of government that were at each other’s throats a year ago.

My desk was covered in small mountains of forms. Covering everything from land disputes, reports from foreign nations, the progress of immigration into Equestria, and other such things. And it was my job to help make sense of it all so our boss could let the higher ups know what was going on in the nation. And more importantly, how much the public needed to know.

In the slight confusion, I had forgotten about my third associate, a unicorn doctor named Dr. Tibia. I asked him for his most recent analysis regarding the sailors.

“Well physically they are in remarkable shape considering what they have been through. Although, some are still suffering from the effects of frostbite that didn’t quite heal properly, and they are having difficulty adjusting to food that isn’t sea biscuits and sour cabbage.”

I waited for the inevitable but.

“But, mentally they all suffer from various stages of anxiety. From nervousness, to full-blown fits of panic. Some haven’t so much as uttered a single word since they came ashore, and some are trapped in comas that they will most likely never recover from. The only constant is that they all seem to suffer from collective amnesia of anything that happened after they were caught in a blizzard. All except for Pensworth, to an extant.”

“How is he doing Dr. Tibia?”

“Well, he’s calmed down and doesn’t need to be restrained if that’s what you’re asking. I personally think he should be moved to a proper facility, at least until he can get his panic attacks under control. Also he would like to speak with you.“

This took me by some surprise. Especially since it was my questioning that had caused his first violent panic attack. But, I also took this as a good sign, we might finally find out what really happened. Or at the very least, get enough information to placate the public.

I turned to Miss Inform and asked, “Well, shall you see what our writer has to say?”

“Might as well Violet, anything to get us out of this office for a bit."

We continued our conversation as we headed to the containment cells. “May I remind you Miss Inform, that we could be dealing with the threat of a new hostile species from an unknown land?”

“Or just a bunch of sailors that got some bad sour cabbage, and got lost in a storm for several weeks. Either way, this whole thing is a waste of time if you ask me.”

I sighed, mostly because I agreed with her. But, as a part of the National Security Council in the New Equestrian Government, it was my job to examine any potential threats to the government. With Dr. Tibia leading, us we made our way past the various cells that housed the rest of the crew. I didn’t personally approve of this measure, but command was very serious about security. I would have objected more, but most of the crew would be released soon enough, most likely under observation for months to come, but released nevertheless.

Then we got to the writers room. Peeking through the window I saw him in the corner of his, “cushioned room”. I smiled a little remembering how Chancellor Puddinghead had rooms like this built into all major government buildings to help her during her more manic episodes. My smiled vanished as I saw its new, lest jovial occupant.

He was sitting in the corner staring at the wall. His dark mane was a mess and looked like it hadn’t been maintained in months. His orange fur wasn’t much better. Dirty and disheveled, with little signs of attention to hygiene. But, it was the eyes that unnerved me the most. What had once been the vibrant blue eyes of a thorough writer and note taker, were now dull and listless. With a hint of paranoia, as if he were in on a secret he knew endangered him.

He looked at me as I entered the room and gave a relieved smile.

“Ah Mrs. Veil, I was wondering when you would show up.”

“Yes Pensworth. Dr. Tibia said you wanted to speak with me?”

Pensworth walked to the other side of his cell, placing his hoof experimentally on the other cushioned wall. He then looked down for a moment as if trying to gather his thoughts. Suddenly his head shot up as if he had just remembered something.

“Is it true that Ash died?”

“Yes, were you two friends?”

“Eh, I would say more like acquaintances. I just wanted to make sure that he would be cremated. He made me promise him that.”

“Don’t worry, we’re already contacting his family and it shouldn’t take that long.”

“Good, good.” He replied now looking nervous again as he thought about what to say.

I was about to ask him if he was ready to speak today, when he interrupted saying “Well, I suppose you want to know about the island.”

Relieved, I replied that I would. He sighed again and had that same suspicious look in his eye before he surprised me with his next statement. “It is vital that you restrict as much information regarding the island as possible. I don’t care what you do, but nopony must know.”

“Why is that Pensworth?”

“You’ve read my journal! You should know!” he yelled, his calm demeanor now replaced with a look of agitation. I had my hoof at the door ready to leave in case he suffered another panic attack. Fortunately, he seemed to calm himself down.

“Look, I might not remember entirely what happened, but I can assure you that what happened in the journal is real. And we cannot allow whatever was on that island to escape!”

“Why is that? Do you think whatever is on there means us harm?” I asked.

His agitation was replaced with a tired calm as he said, “How I wish it were that simple. That thing could have destroyed us at any time, but it didn’t. Why? I don’t know. What was it? I don’t know. But what I do know is this, it let us go for a reason, and if we ever go back to that island, we are not going to like what the reason is."

Intrigued, I asked, “What would you suggest the best course of action is?”

“Burn the book, burn the papers, act like it never happened. I don’t know, as long as we make sure nopony ever goes to that island. Look, I don’t thing you understand. The things, it did to us, it ripped our minds open to see what it could find. Not to make us suffer, oh no just to learn. And it gave it no more thought then you would cracking open a walnut. If it would do something like that, out of simple curiosity, then I don’t want to imagine what it would do if it ever left its island properly motivated.”

Pensworth returned to his corner, he looked as if he were trying to remember a dream from long ago. I waited for several minutes, until it was clear that he wasn’t going to be speaking again anytime soon and left his room. I found Miss Inform waiting outside for me.

“Well, what did the esteemed Pensworth have to say?”

I looked back at the broken pony in the cell and said “ Essentially, that we should stay away from the island. Maybe burn everything related to it for good measure.”

“Well, what do you think?”

“I think, that anything that could do something like that to a pony, as well as punch a storm of wendigos, and teleport an entire ship, is not something we want to have anything to do with, considering how things are.”

We began walking down the hallway back to our offices so that I could prepare a report for the higher ups. I thought again about what Pensworth had said. Burning the papers was out of the question. If this thing that called itself “Order” were real, we would need to know everything about it. But should we deal with it now?

I decided no. We had enough problems just getting the pegasus to reduce the size of their army, without having to deal with a living island or whatever this Order being was supposed to be. For now, we would just have to let the matter go. And hopefully, get these sailors recovered from their ordeal as soon as possible.

Then, I thought again about the state the crew had been in when we found them. The others suffered from similar bouts of paranoia, panic, and minor delirium. Well, except for Captain Seastorm. Whose agitation manifested as anger and defiance at still being here, and not back on his ship were he said he belonged.

Not that he would have been able to anyway, the ship would take days if not weeks to be in truly seaworthy shape again. But, the point remained that something had harmed citizens of Equestria. It was my job to let those in command know that when the time is right we must find this being, this Order and make sure it never happened again.

I had finished my report; the official story for the public would be that the ship drifted off course due to a massive storm, leading to the damaged state of the ship and its crew. Its reappearance in the harbor was nothing more then a strange shift in the weather patterns returning them home.

The weather does become stranger the further you are from land after all. I started making decent headway into my other assignments, when there was a hesitant knock at the door. Annoyed, I answered it to see a disturbed Dr. Tibia standing in the hallway.

When I asked what the problem was, he replied “You remember Ash?”

“Yes?”

“Well, we recently got word from his family authorizing the cremation process, and there was a slight complication. “

“What sort of complication?”

“Well, when we put him in there he, he...”

“What is it doctor?”

“He got up and told us he appreciated the heat, but if we could turn it down a notch it would be great.”

I stared at him for exactly fourteen seconds. I’m not sure how I knew that’s what it was, but I knew. I took one last look at my still massive pile of paperwork, knowing that when I returned it would have grown at least another inch. As I left my office with the still confused doctor, I couldn’t help but look at a nearby clock. It wasn’t even twelve o’clock yet.