• Published 23rd Jun 2013
  • 565 Views, 18 Comments

Cellos without Resonance - Mr Jelly



With no memory of the past week, Spencer Winters finds a strange girl on the 101. She doesn't speak, but can read and write and use facial expressions. Oh, did I mention she was naked, there's that too.

  • ...
4
 18
 565

Preparation for the future

I picked up the bullets and shoved them back into the glovebox. The girl started to fiddle with the door handle and breathe quicker. I got out of the car and ran to the other side and opened the door for her, but she pushed herself back towards the shifter and looked at me with scared eyes. I took my hand off the door, went on my knees, and sighed again.

"Look, I said it before, I don't know what had happened in the past week. The Lakers could've won, a fire could've set the Sierra Nevada ablaze, I don't know. What I'm trying to say is, I don't know how that gun got there, and I certainly don't know why it's loaded."

This seemed to calm her down a little. I got back up on my feet and closed the door. I got back into the driver's seat and turned on the car. It was almost 5:00 and we didn't seem close to the address in the phone, so I looked for any hotels while driving north. Surely enough, a Motel 6 sign appeared on the side, and I exited the highway. I was adamant on getting to the hotel, but first I needed to get this girl clothes. An outdoor mall was placed across from the motel to attract incoming tourists, but it also had a few clotheslines.


I walked out of a Macy's with about three different bags of clothes. I never asked for her size, nor could I, so I just bought things that looked her size with the debit card. Luckily, there was a post-it on the back of the card that had the pin number. The girl didn't get out of the car because I asked her to and, well, she was still naked. I drove to the motel 6 and walked inside the lobby. I went up to the front desk and looked at the lad who manned it. I was rather disappointed that he was asleep. I mean, why would you pick the night shift if you couldn't stay up?! I rang the bell next to his ear, which woke him up.

"Huh?!" He said.

"Hi, I'd like to get a room." I said, with fake enthusiasm.

"Ok" The boy clicked a mouse a few times, "Room 216, second building, first floor."

"Thank you." I said as he gave me the key.

I went back to the car and drove to room 216. I helped this girl get out of the car and opened the door. The room was nice for what I payed for it. One bed. Large T.V. Snack bar. A large couch. Wait, what?

ONE BED?!

“Dammit!” I cursed, “He must've thought I was alone.”

We walked inside and placed down our things. I thought it over for a moment, then decided it was a good idea.

“Hey, why don’t you put on something you like in the bathroom and show me later?”

The girl nodded, took the bags with clothes, and walked into the bathroom.

I sat on the bed and looked at everything else. It was probably best to open up the laptop now. I turned on the power and heard the door open. The girl came out, but wasn't wearing any clothes.

“Why aren't you wearing any, oh.” I said as I facepalmed, “You don’t know how to put them on, do you?”

She shook her head.

I could only think of one way to get her clothes on, but I was too tired to do it.

“Well, It’s too early for me to help you, so how about you just go to sleep?”

The girl looked like she was pondering the thought, then nodded. I got off the bed and pulled back the top sheets. I looked away. She tapped my wrist once she was fully covered. I looked back to see her hand slither back under and she her faint smile once again. I looked towards the couch and lay on it. I heard the girl clear her throat and I looked her way and blushed.

She had thrown back the covers and was patting the place right in front of her. I could see every part of her without even trying.

“I know I said I was forward but, I'm not that forward.” I said as I looked away.

She just shook her head and patted the same place.

I thought it over for a second, and realized what she was doing.

“I-is this your way of showing your trust to me?” I said, looking towards her again.

She nodded.

I let out a sigh. I've been lucky so far with my guesses, but there’s no telling what this girl might want me to do. I took of my shirt and pants and got into the bed. at least it was a king size.

I had so many questions in my head that no one could answer. What was her name? How did she get on the side of the highway without any clothes? It seemed like she could understand me, but it was slightly hard to understand her. She did say, well, answered yes to the question that she could write, so I'd have to get her a notebook and some pens. Who gave me that debit card? How much money was in it? It hadn't run out so far, but that doesn't mean it had infinite money. Why couldn't I remember what had happened in the last week?

Suddenly, I felt something on my back. I looked back to see that the girl had cuddled up to me in her sleep. That was a little weird, but not unheard of, and it’s not like I didn't like it. Her chest was pressing right against my shoulder blades. they felt larger than they look.

I shook my head to disperse these thoughts. I'd only known her for, what, three hours? It was too early to be thinking like that. Back to important things, like why couldn't I remember the last week. The more I thought about it, the more I was sure that more of my memory than just the last week wasn't there. I didn’t remember my own address before I looked it up on my phone, if it even was mine. I had thoughts like these until I drifted off to sleep. What awaited me in the morning? I couldn't say.