• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 3,378 Views, 86 Comments

Hitting The Books - CrypticMetaphor



When a writer from Earth ends up in Canterlot High will he survive the horrors he has endured once before?

  • ...
25
 86
 3,378

Chapter 1- Back To School

My head was swimming almost like an entire ocean was churning in the place of my brain. I glanced around wearily at my surroundings and blinked in surprise, it was a bright day to say the least and I mean bright. It was like I was staring into a cartoon show, it kind of hurt. Jeez if I knew this is what was on the other side of that mirror I would have asked the princess for some welding goggles or something. The princess… that’s RIGHT!! I need to meet Twilight….whoever that was. I stood to leave and noticed two things; my clothes were WAY different from when left home to this place. I was wearing a grey button up dress shirt that with the last two buttons unbuttoned at the top, on my lapel was a symbol depicting a whit and gold fountain pen writing a line. The sleeves were a tad longer than I thought. The pants I wore were white and baggy with grey sneakers. I reached up to adjust the familiar weight of my glasses and froze; my skin was white, like the literal color. I stared at my hands and blinked in fright then turned to look in the reflective podium of the statue, I looked younger than I remembered and my shaved hair had grown back to just below medium length standards and was a lighter brown. It was a tad spiky and curved forward naturally, thing is that I myself as a whole looked…animated. I yelled out in absolute fright and crawled away from the reflection that stared back at me in an effort to run away.

I yelled out in annoyance, “THIS WAS NOT IN THE JOB DESCRIPTION!!!!!”

“Uh..”

I turned my head and noticed a purple dog staring at me, “Did you just talk?”

The dog nodded, “Yeah and you’re doing a horrible job at being undercover.”

I yelled out again and hid behind the statue, “What the hell!?”

A female voice spoke to my side, “Spike’s right, you need to calm down. I know it’s a little overwhelming at first but you get used to it.”

I whipped my head around and stared at a girl with oddly colored skin as well, purple if I wasn't mistaken, “Please tell me your my contact.”

The girl smiled, “Well if you’re here for the mission then yes, I am Twilight Sparkle. And you’re the protector right?”

I slowly nodded, “Okay you’ll forgive me, but I’m a little freaked out now.”

*

Twilight turned her head slightly and whispered to herself, “Wow, when the princess said she was going to wipe his mind of Equestrian knowledge she meant it.”

*

I raised a frightened eyebrow, “What?!”

Twilight calmly placed her hand on my shoulder, “Come on, let’s at least get you inside before school starts.”

My feet dug into the dirt, “Did you say school?”

Twilight nervously responded, “Yes, why?”

I dropped to my knees and yelled to the sky in anguish.

Spike had hopped into Twilights backpack, “I like him already.”

Twilight gave him a glare as my hissy fit ended, “Lead the way…”

Twilight smiled as she led me through the main doors, “Welcome to Canterlot High, home of The Wondercolts!”

I was busy examining my new face much to Twilight’s minor annoyance, “Listen if we’re going to get The Algorithm back you need to focus and not draw attention to yourself.”

I fixed her with an annoyed glare, “Easy for you to say, you just didn’t go through reverse puberty.”

Twilight rolled her eyes, “You’re the same age as everyone else here now. Does that help?”

My response was slightly delayed but I nodded none the less.

Twilight led me on explaining to me all of the do’s and don’ts on how to accomplish the mission with the upmost accuracy and efficiency. I sort of tuned her out when she got to the concept of blending into the crowd as to avoid stares. We both then halted outside the Principals office.

Twilight gestured to the door, “Alright, all you have to do now is go in there and get a class schedule,” Twilight handed me a slip covered in official jargon, “This will clear any suspicion of your origins. Last thing we need are unwanted questions being asked.”

I nodded and pointed at her, “Good call.”

I then opened the door and entered into a brightly lit large office. Before me was a large wooden desk with a plaque that read “Principal Celestia”. I opened my eyes wide when the principal in question entered the room. She wore a golden suit coat with a light purple under shirt. She also wore dark purple dress pants and gold shoes. Her skin was sort of close to an average skin colour except it was a bit more whitish and her hair was multicolored and was VERY long. Pinned on the collar of the coat was a badge in the shape of a golden sun.

Principal Celestia raised an eyebrow with an unamused expression, “Can I help you?”

Why did I have to clam up at that moment, oh right because she’s the freaking judge, jury, and executioner here, “Uhm…”

Celestia seated herself now wearing a bored expression, “Yes?”

I pulled the paper out and gave it to her. She cycled from surprised to skeptical then back to unamused in one whole second. Celestia read the note with a raised eyebrow the entire time as if she were trying to weed out the bull and keep the facts. After a while she placed the paper down and stared into my god damn soul. I shuffled uneasily as she stood and walked around to my side of the table and…shook my hand.

The smile she now wore bled a welcoming aura, “Welcome to Canterlot High. I hope you enjoy your experiences here.”

I chuckled nervously as she released my hand, “Yeah…I’ll try.”

Principal Celestia sat down, “Must have been cold up in Vanhoover this year huh?”

I blinked. My thoughts then told me *Just go with it.*

I nodded, “Yeah, felt like I was in a fridge most of the time."

Celestia smiled the same welcoming smile as she pulled out a clipboard, “Now I just need to add your name to the school attendance and your all set.”

The silence that hung in the air was maddening.

Celestia looked at me once more with skepticism, “Well? If you’re going to be cryptic with this matter I’ll just have you escorted out for wasting-“

I spoke on reflex, “CRYPTIC!!”

Celestia was bemused to say the least, “Pardon?”

I spoke quickly before anything else could happen, “My name is Cryptic.”

Celestia raised an eyebrow, “Last name?”

*CRUD!!! CRUD!!!!!*, my mind was screaming now in desperation, “Well…uh.”

I looked down at the mark on my shirt, *Pen? Wait what’s another word for a writer.*

I then calmly stated, “Scribe, my name is Cryptic Scribe.”

Celestia nodded as she wrote down my name on the clipboard, “Alright Mister Scribe, here’s your lesson plan,” she handed me a list which cause me to tremble as I read my fate, “And since I see you haven’t brought any supplies you can take extra’s from the bin over there.”

I turned my head to the bin in question and grabbed a smaller box that I piled my supplies in. I uttered a quick thank you as I departed toward my first class…if only she had given me a freaking map. I began to notice more students file in to the building and one thing plagued me most of all about the student body, why were the girls so fraking cute?

*

Sunset Shimmer glanced around the front area of the school as she walked briskly toward the front doors but stopped short as some of her fellow students walked past her. The fiery haired girl sighed as she glanced around at the other students chatting, smiling, and all around in good spirits. She looked ahead with a calm expression as she began to walk.

She continued her walk and began to sing, “Every single day, the same arrangement I go here and fight the fight. Still I always feel this strange estrangement. Nothing here is real, nothing here is right.”

Several other students noticed her and some stopped talking to briefly stare and then continued on their way, “I used to make a show of trading blows, but now I’m hoping no one knows. That I'm going through the motions, walking through the part.”

She then stopped as her boot landed on an old flyer for the Fall Formal and sang sadly, “Nothing seemed to penetrate my heart.”

She continued on as she entered the school, ”I used to be cruel and kind of ruthless. Now I find I'm wavering, crawling out of bed I find this fight just doesn't mean a thing.”

Snips then popped out from behind a garbage can, “She ain't got that swing!

Sunset sighed once more as she grabbed her books from her locker and replied normally, “Thanks for noticing.”

Snips and Snails then began to jig in the background, “She did pretty well like a fiend from hell, but lately we can tell. That she's just going through the motions, faking it somehow.”

Snips then stood in front of a nearby door as a depressed Sunset walked past him, “She's not even half the girl she-,” the door then opened and smacked him in the face, “OW!”

Sunset walked up a flight of stairs and continued on, ”Will I stay this way forever? Sleepwalk through my life's endeavor.”

She then opened a door for Big Macintosh, “Thank ya kindly.”

She smiled briefly, “Your welcome.”

She picked up where she left off, ”I don t want to beeeee going through the motions, losing all my drive.”

Sunset stared at herself in the glass of a display case, “I can't even see if this is really me”, her familiar pony face stared back at her, “And I just want to beeeee!

She turned her back to the empty hall and spread he arms in the rays of the sun, “Alive!”

Sunset didn’t hear the footsteps approaching until the owner plowed into her at full speed.

*

The girl before me was like a brick wall when I made contact, we both dropped immediately. I landed on my back spilling my books and various supplies around me, while she fell on her front.

The girl got into the sitting position at the same time I did and was rubbing her head in pain, “Ow!”

I frantically began to pick up my books and various other items quickly, “Oh god I am SO sorry, I didn’t see you. I’m just trying to find the math class.”

The girl blinked a couple of times at me, “The classroom is back that way”, and she pointed her finger behind me at a set of stairs I missed.

I stood up and offered her my hand which she took as I helped her up, “I-“

My words were caught in my throat because you see there is one thing you need to know about me is that I have a REALLY hard time speaking to girls my own age, especially when I just caused them a massive wipeout.

I blinked a few times as I slowly spoke, “Uh…what your name? I’m kind of trying to remember as many as I can since I’ll be here.”

The girl tilted her head slightly but answered slowly, “Sunset Shimmer, you?”

I exhaled slowly, “Cryptic Scribe.”

We both stood in silence for a good minute staring at each other. She was around the same height as me at least so our eyes met without consequence. Her skin was light amber and her hair was like fire that cascaded down below her shoulders in jagged like curls. She wore a leather jacket over a dark purple top that had a red and yellow sun fixed in the center. She also wore a dark orange skirt and black knee high boots with purple flames on the front. And just like Twilight and the rest of the female demographic in this school she was pretty cute. A cough escaped my lips as I absently looked at the roof. I could still feel those moderate cyan eyes searching me for something.

I then then said almost robotically, “I’ll leave you alone forever now.”

I then quickly stalked off.

*

Sunset Shimmer glanced after the student known as Cryptic Scribe as her eyes narrowed with studious curiosity, “Odd, I don’t remember ever seeing him around here.”

She went to walk after Cryptic only to fall on her butt. She turned her head and noticed she had tripped on a lead pencil and blew some of her hair out of her eyes at the sound of laughter.

She turned her head and saw someone smiling at her. His build was thin and his skin was a gold bronze. His hair long and straight up crimson and his dark ice blue eyes twinkled slightly as he smirked at Sunset. He wore black pants, a dark brown t-shirt with a black star on the lapel and a knee long red zip up coat. His black sneakers padded silently on the floor as he approached Sunset.

He bent down to her level, “Having a little day dream are we?”

Sunset huffed as she stood up straight and regained her composure, “Yeah, as if.”

The boy chuckled as he got to her front and she refused to meet his gaze, “Oh come on don’t be like that, I was just messing with ya Sunny.”

Sunset Shimmer glared daggers at him, “Don’t call me that, you know I hate it Umbra.”

Umbra shrugged, “Alright, I’m cool,” he looked where her gaze had been before, “Who WAS that guy?”

Sunset pondered on the statement, “New student probably.”

Umbra sighed, “Jeez how boring. Well I’m heading to drama, see you whenever.”

Sunset shook her head as she walked to her class as well.