• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 3,378 Views, 86 Comments

Hitting The Books - CrypticMetaphor



When a writer from Earth ends up in Canterlot High will he survive the horrors he has endured once before?

  • ...
25
 86
 3,378

Chapter 18- Morning on Earth Shine!

My eyes snapped open as the alarm went off and for some reason I felt…happy. I mean REALLY freaking happy! I leapt out of bed and donned my clothes as I strutted down stairs humming a tune to myself as I reached into the fridge and got some eggs. I fired up the stove and placed a frying pan on the element as I spun on my heel and cracked the eggs. Soon I put them in the pan and began the process of scrambling them. I looked over my shoulder and noticed a very surprised Twilight and Rainbow Dash staring at me.

Twilight grinned, “Well someone’s in a good mood this morning.”

I put a helping on the first plate, “Why wouldn’t I be? I mean we defeated an evil villain as WELL as reform him and well...I’m just in a really good mood this morning!”

Rainbow took the first helping and sat down with a chuckle, “Well just make sure you don’t hit happy overload. That happened to Pinkie once…no one survived.”

I sat down with my own helping as Twilight took hers, “Well I’m sure I’ll live, man things are really looking up now.”

Twilight nodded, “Yep, all things considered we can finally breathe. Although I’m still wondering how your first date with Sunset going to go.”

I choked on my eggs which caused Rainbow to smack my back, “WHAT!?”

Twilight became a tad embarrassed, “Sorry I brought it up, it’s none of my business.”

Rainbow playfully elbowed my side, “Come on lover boy what do you got planned?”

I raised my finger, “uhm…I haven’t…”

*

Rarity and the girls just stared at me in surprise as we walked to the school, “What do you mean you haven’t put any thought into it?”

I turned and looked at them in exasperation, “Hey cut me some slack here! She’s my first ever girlfriend so what if I-“

I smacked into someone causing the group to freeze, “She’s right behind me isn’t she?”

The voice that answered me sounded young but filled with an air of mystique, “You would do wise to watch your front student.”

I turned around and stared into the unamused eyes of…well let’s just say I was a little too afraid to speak.

Chrysalis regarded me with disinterest, “Is something the matter?”

I still couldn’t speak which caused her to turn on her heel with an annoyed sigh and departed into the school.

I immediately grabbed Twilight buy the shoulders, “I have seen the enemy and she is EVIL HOT!”

The girls were slightly surprised at this as Twilight was even more confused when she answered, “What?”

I sighed, “It’s a form of hotness that radiates a fearful aura but you can’t help but be enthralled.”

Twilight was unimpressed at the answer, “And that matters because?”

I shook my head, “I can’t hit women it’s like my golden rule. ESPECIALLY women like that.”

Rarity seemed to have mixed feelings with that answer, “I’m not sure whether I should be slightly in awe at your chivalry or slightly disappointed at-“

I cut her off, “Call it what you want…it’s a guy thing.”

They collectively rolled their eye but I was immediately taken by surprise by a pair of arms wrapping around my neck, “Morning.”

I froze up but relaxed, “Morning Sunset, sleep well?”

I turned around to stare at her smiling face, “Yep!”

The bell interrupted our moment.

*

I sat in the cafeteria in silence as I ran over various contingencies and plans for a possible first date. I mean sure she loved me and I her but I wanted our first date to be memorable as well as special. I jabbed my food as the girls looked at me, I suppose they had been able to read when I was troubled because Rarity looked like she was thinking of something.

Rarity looked at the girls, “Girls I must speak with you all, Sunset stay here and keep Scribe company. I believe he needs it.”

Before I could voice a word the girls had risen from their seats as Sunset sat next to me.

*

Rarity waited for the girls to arrive outside the cafeteria with her and placed her fist in the palm of her hand, “Alright ladies you’ve probably all realized it as well and I hope are thinking the same thing. But we have to help Scribe with his first date.”

Rainbow leaned against a locker, “Shouldn’t we leave this up to him?”

Rarity shook her head quickly, “Oh no we mustn't! Scribe may be pleasant and funny, but a first date is EVERYTHING in a budding relationship. Therefore each first date MUST be memorable yet romantic.”

Applejack sighed, “Rarity ah don’t mean to sound well…uninterested, but why do ya care?”

Rarity looked at them all with surprise but calmed herself, “Simple, do you all recall Umbra’s last wish? He asked us to help them to be happy and being the generous person I intend to give Scribe not only my advice but my complete help.”

Twilight smiled at the sentiment but became serious, “But Rarity we have no business to interfere with Cryptic’s love life.”

Rarity raised a finger with a devious smile, “That’s the thing; they won’t know that we’re even there.”

Fluttershy fidgeted slightly, “But what if they catch us? Oh they’ll both be so angry.”

Pinkie Pie bounced next to her friend, “I’m with you Rarity, we’ll have them smooching in no time!”

Rainbow Dash chuckled, “Wow Rarity, you never struck me as the devious type. I like this new side of you.”

Rarity straightened herself and fixed a stray hair, “Well don’t get used to it Dash, I intend for this to be a onetime deal, as the saying goes.”

Applejack glanced at the laughing Scribe and Sunset and gave a warm smile but then became determined, “Alright, what’s the plan?”

*

The day had ended quite oddly. The girls barely spoke to me for the remainder of the day which was pretty weird in itself but I paid it no mind. But then I found a flyer sticking out of my locker door, it was advertising a small community event at a community center.

*

Rarity looked around the corner with Applejack and squealed excitedly, “He’s considering it!”

Applejack rolled her eyes, “But will he go for it?”

Rarity quickly typed a text.

*

Fluttershy checked her phone and inhaled to calm her nerves as she “accidentally” dropped a flyer as she passed Sunset in the hall.

Sunset picked up the flyer in confusion, “Hmm.”

*

The minute school ended I approached Sunset who was sitting on the front stairs as I glanced at the paper, “Hey Sunset?”

She turned her head, “Yeah?”

I scratched the back of my head in nervousness, “Do you want to…um…go to.”

The giggle caused me to look away with a blush as I handed the flyer, “To this thingy?”

Sunset smiled, “I’d love to.”

A loud yes caused us to look around in confusion.

*

Rarity’s mouth was being covered by five other hands.

Flash just stared at the girls and noticed who they were spying on, “What did you all just do?”

*

I was soon sitting in the clothes shop with a neutral expression as Rarity was fussing over spiffing up my clothes.

I looked at her as she did up all my buttons and tied a black tie around my neck, “Is this entirely necessary?”

Rarity rolled her eyes as she attempted to make my pants presentable, “Well one must look proper when escorting a lady to any event.”

I stood up as she gave a surprised yelp, “I’m just taking her to a community event, it’s not like I’m taking her to the opera.”

Rarity chuckled as I took noticed of her slightly frazzled hair, “Oh perish the thought, that’s for the second date.”

I raised an eyebrow as the other girls grabbed her and dragged her away from me.

*

Applejack looked at her friend with concern, “Rarity don’t ya think ya might be gettin a LITTLE too much into this matchmaker thing?”

Rarity gazed at her friend with a slightly crazed look behind her glasses, “Of course not! I am completely of sound mind right now. I just need to make sure Scribe is completely presentable down to the last MICROBE!!!”

Applejack nodded slowly, “Alrighty then,” she then turned to the others, “tie her up.”

The other girls then grabbed the now crazed fashionista as she yelled out, “THIS IS MY DESTINY!!!”

Applejack shook her head and headed to the front room.

*

I gazed up at Applejack, “What was that all about?”

Applejack waved it off and sat down, “Now listen, ah know that Sunset is yer first special someone and ah’m happy fer ya both. But just be yerself, don’t try to be someone yer not. After all that’s why she fell fer ya in the first place.”

I smiled, “Thanks AJ.”

She smiled back but then looked to the back room, “Can ah tell ya somethin?”

I was confused but agreed none the less, “Sure.”

Applejack seemed to gather herself before she spoke, “Well ya see, ah liked ya Scribe. Ah mean yer nice, charmin in yer own odd way. But…”

I smiled, “But you didn’t know what to do right?”

She nodded surprised as I stood up, “You weren’t alone in that boat AJ.”

Applejack stood with me, “Ah’m just happy ya found someone.”

I raised a playful eyebrow, “Feeling jelly?”

Applejack playfully shoved me, “That’s not funny.”

I laughed as I walked out the door to meet Sunset for our date.

*

We soon met up at a local bus station as the late afternoon sun hung lazily in the air. Sunset and I sat in relative silence as she gazed into space. I was patting my lap in a slightly impatient manner but sighed regardless.

I turned to her, “So…you’re from the same world as…Twilight and I huh?”

Sunset stared at me with puzzlement but gave a small smile, “Yeah.”

I started grabbing at straws, “Um…what exactly did you do back there anyway,” I quickly remembered that the subject was touchy, “Oh crap forget I asked sorry!”

Sunset smiled as she shook her head, “No it’s okay. In truth I actually used to be a student under our Princess. I don’t mean to sound pompous but I was prodigy in my studies.

I noted her smile of far off memories, “She was so proud me and I was as happy as could be. I learned so much, teleportation, transmutation, alchemy….”

She noticed that she had me enthralled, “You know alchemy? That’s so cool! Can you turn lead into gold?”

Sunset checked her nails, “Oh please…I learned that in a week, give me something hard.”

I scratched my chin as we boarded the bus, “Okay…summoning a giant rock formation using nothing but a grain of sand and a small pebble.”

She shook her head with a cocky smile, “Learned that after a month.”

I was astounded but I pressed on, “Walking through walls?”

Sunset smirked, “I can walk up them and go through them. Try again smart guy.”

I narrowed my eyes as we began our trip.

*

After exiting the bus I pointed in victory, “Alright I got one. Making a giant fire bird out of flint, covered in non- flammable vines with quartz eyes that can use fire breath WHILE you’re upside down holding your breath with your eyes closed! HA! BEAT THAT!”

Sunset nodded, “Wow that is a tough one. But not impossible, I did it for an extra credit assignment.”

I growled in frustration, “WHAT DON’T YOU KNOW!”

Sunset looked at me with an “are you seriously asking me that?” expression.

I gave up and marched in step with her, “Animating a stone Wombat-“

Sunset laughed, “Scribe how long do you intend on keeping this up?”

I sighed, “Just checking.”

We soon gazed at all of the kiosks and began to have some fun. We first stopped at a small ring toss game which Sunset stepped up to. She nailed all the bottles and won a pair of shutter shades much to my amusement. She put them on and pouted which gave us both a good laugh. We continued along our way and we reached an ice cream stand. Upon purchasing our cones we we’re out and about once more. We then came to an outdoor pool which was currently unoccupied. We sat on some nearby bleachers and glanced out beyond the pool at the sun setting. I finished my cone and glanced at Sunset who was still looking in the distance. These kinds of moments were the kind I now wanted to happen more often. I smiled at the fiery haired girl but then one thought entered my mind as the sky darkened and the lights for the pool came on. The thought was actually more of an inevitable factor that I dreaded; Sunset and I couldn’t be together. It tore me up to think of what would happen if she knew the full truth of where I hail from and how it would be impossible for what we had to even continue to grow. She glanced at me and took on a slightly puzzled expression which I responded with to me walking off the bleachers and around the perimeter of the pool. I then “slipped” and fell into the pool.

Sunset came to the side, “Scribe?!”

I then quickly surfaced with a quick, “Gotcha!”

I then grabbed her and pulled her in.

Sunset surfaced immediately with a surprised gasp and shivered as she exited the pool.

I smirked, “Too cold for you?”

She gave me a playful look, “Oh you are so DEAD!”

I quickly scrambled out of the water and ran onto the grass, “Catch me if you can Shimmer!”

Sunset narrowed her eyes as she gave chase. I heard her wet boots tromp on the ground behind me as we entered into a nearby treeline. I and she chased each other through the trees and brush for a good twenty minutes before I emerged on a hill overlooking the city. I then heard a battle cry as I was tackled down the hill. Both of us rolled down the hill laughing until we landed on our backs looking at the sky.

Sunset was panting but turned to look at me, “I had fun today Scribe, thanks for taking me.”

I smiled, “Anytime Sunny.”

She blushed lightly but smiled as I caught myself, “Sorry I forgot you hate that nickname.”

Sunset shook her head, “From you, I don’t mind.”

We both then joined hands as we gazed at the moon.

Sunset then asked softly, “Scribe?”

I looked at her briefly, “Yeah?”

She looked away nervously but continued, “Would you still love me if I looked…different?”

I smiled, “Even if you wore a different face and had a different voice, I would never stop loving you.”

Sunset became touched at the sentiment as she rolled onto her side, “You’re such a charmer.”

I did the same action, “You’re not so bad yourself.”

For a good hour we talked and gazed into each other’s eyes until it was time to leave.