• Published 15th Feb 2012
  • 932 Views, 27 Comments

Carnival Of Souls - Shattercrazy



Pandora's Box has been reopened, so why are these three here to save Equestria?

  • ...
0
 27
 932

Are ya livin, or just existin?

Chapter I

“ Are ya livin,or just existin?”



“The seals are weakening Tia.”
“Are you positive Lu?”
“Yes.” the indigo alicorn nodded solemnly before continuing.
“We still have some time before they will be weak enough for him to escape, but he will be able to manipulate events soon.”
Princess Celestia seemed deep in thought for a moment before she asked.
“How long before he can release his pawns?”
“A week at best maybe less.” Princess Luna replied uncertainly.
The larger white alicorn turned away from her sister,looking out over their kingdom, sighing at the thought of the evil from so long ago being set free again.
“We cannot hope to defeat him alone can we?” she asked.
“No Tia we can’t. We will need their help.” Luna said straining the word.
“They are unpredictable Lu, what if they won’t help? Or worse side with the darkness?” Celestia asked.
The princess of the night joined her sibling at the window overlooking their beloved world.
“They will help us Tia. They may be unpredictable, but their hearts are pure. They won’t let our world be destroyed.” she said.
“For our sake Lu, I hope you are right.”
Chapter One
------------------------------

It was the same as any other spring break at Club La Vela. College students from all over the country had headed to Panama City so they could join in the wild parties that the city was known for. Anyone who had ever heard of spring break knew Club La Vela was the best place to party. Unfortunately it was also the best place for trouble to break out.

“P-please stop!” the young woman said. She was in the parking lot,where a group of drunk young men had cornered her against a vehicle.

“Aww c’mon babe, jus lemme have a little kiss.” said the young man who was leaning over her.

“Please I just want to leave.”

“Well I’m not asking bitch now give me a kiss!” the boy said grabbing her by the arm making her cry out in pain.

“I don’t think she wants to friend.” said a new voice from behind the group.

Turning at the unfamiliar tenor the group directed varying degrees of drunken stares at the newcomer. 6’4 and slim, with sandy brown hair, the young mans green eyes betrayed his annoyance from behind his thin rimmed glasses.

“And I don’t recall this being-HEY!” at this moment the young lady had broken away from his grip and ran back inside the club.

“Oh you’re gonna pay for that.” the boy said, as the other four who had the girl trapped, circled the newcomer.


--------------------------------

The girl had ran crying into the club and was blindly heading toward one of the bigger rooms when she bumped in to someone. Falling down she fearfully looked up expecting to see the face of the drunk boy from outside. Instead she looked into the bearded face of a very big young man dressed like a cowboy.

"Ah'm real sorry about that, you alright Miss?" said the cowboy in a deep baritone voice full of concern.

“P-Please d-d-don’t hurt me!" she said from the floor.

"Sweetheart why on earth would'ja think Ah was gonna hurtcha?" came the confused reply.

As the cowboy knelt down to offer the young lady a hand she began to tell him about the group outside and the paramedic who had rescued her. After she had related the story the cowboy ushered her toward another large, clean shaven man wearing a black t-shirt with Security written on it.

“Hey Matt, take Miss...” the cowboy said looking at the young lady expectantly. As he waited for her answer his vision swam for a moment, as though everything were under water.

“Leah.” came the reply.

“Take Miss Leah to the bar in room five and tell Jacob to get her anything she wants.Put it on mah tab.” the cowboy finished, shaking his head to clear away the momentary dizziness that had occurred when the world seemed to shift.

“Alright Case.Where are you going?” Matt asked.

“There’s some trouble outside the south exit so Ah’ma go see what Ah can do.” Case said over his shoulder walking toward the exit. After a few minutes of walking the young woman asked

“So the cowboy, his name is.......”

“Riley. But everybody calls him Case.” Matt replied.

“Why Case?” she inquired curiously.

“Well everybody says he’s like a Case knife, always there when you need him.”

“And the young man outside who saved me?” she asked.

“Sounds like Richard, by your description. But we all call him Doc,on account of him being a paramedic.”

“I see. Matt is it?” she asked.

“Yeah.” he said turning to face her. As his eyes met hers Matt felt himself being drawn into her turquoise orbs. He began to notice for the first time how her indigo hair seemed to draw the light from the hallway. When she spoke her voice was different than before, no longer scared, but powerful like someone used to getting what she wanted.

“Matt I appreciate what you have done for me but I no longer require your assistance.Go back to what you were doing and forget all of this.” she said reaching out and touching his arm.

Matt’s next rational thought was that he needed to head back into the dance room and get a drink, having totally forgotten the petite indigo haired young lady that was nowhere to be seen.

---------------------------


“Not good.” Doc thought as he was grabbed from behind in a bear hug.He had disabled one of his attackers with a well placed kick, taking a glancing blow to the ribs in the process. As the boy had fallen the world had pitched and swam for a moment, allowing the young man behind him to make his move. He fought to break free but the guy holding him was either very strong or he knew his wrestling. Judging by the hold he had, Doc figured it to be the latter.

“I’m gonna teach you to keep your nose where it belongs from now on!” the leader of the group said, advancing on the trapped young man.

Just as the medic was starting to lose hope he saw a large shape exit the clubs darkened doorway. Dressed like he always was in dusty cowboy boots, faded wranglers and a grey shirt under a denim jacket encasing his broad frame, Case was exactly the type of help he needed. A bored expression on his bearded face, the cowboy slowly reached up and removed the faded cowboy hat from his head and sat it on a trash can.

“You’re gonna regret ever being born when I’m done with you! I’m gonna beat the-What are you smilin at? Something funny?” snarled the leader of the group as Doc broke out in a grin. Noticing the medics glance behind him the drunk college student turned and spotted the burly cowboy.

“Get your ass outta here or you’re next!” he hollered pointing at Case. The cowboy continued his slow approach towards the group, getting just within reach of the last two before saying anything.

“Ah believe one’a ya’ll owes a young lady an apology.” Case said in a bored monotone.

“Really?” the leader asked. “I didn’t know the bitch h-” he started before he was interrupted by Doc.

“Tread carefully.” was all the medic said, but it was enough. Whirling the gang leader back handed Doc shouting

“SHUT THE HELL UP!”

“Let. Him. Go.” said Case. The monotone was gone, the deep baritone of his voice dripping with menace.

Whether the gang leader was brave or just stupid drunk Doc would never know.

“Or what?” he sneered slapping the medic across the face again.

At this Case lost his permanent good natured temperament. Without saying a word he started walking toward the ring leader.

“GET HIM!” shouted the young man as one of his friends took a drunken swing at the cowboy.

Without breaking stride Case simply stepped out of the way of the shaky punch. As the other boy over balanced Case grabbed his arm arm and pulled, whipping his own head forward, dropping the smaller man bonelessly with a headbutt. As all eyes focused on the cowboy Doc made his move. Lifting his booted foot and stomped on the boy’s foot holding onto him. He was rewarded with the sickening pop of broken bones and the hold on him lessening.

Breaking free he spun and opened palmed the young mans ear, deafening him. As the dazed young man stumbled back the medic K/O’d him with a well placed shot to the temple. Reaching down he retrieved his spectacles, replacing them on his face as the leader of the group turned back to him. A look of confusion was still on his face when Doc broke his nose.


--------------------------------


Lounging in one of the chairs by the bar Shane was enjoying the beat of the music and the taste of a Marlboro. Known as Blitz to most people because of his love of speed, he looked every inch an athlete. At 5'8 he was slim and toned, with black hair and a chinstrap goatee, wearing a pair of holey jeans and a white t-shirt. Reaching up he adjusted the ball cap setting atop his head, before dousing his cigarette and heading towards the exit.

As he was crossing the dance floor, the world seemed to tilt and swirl in front of him for a moment. As he regained his composure from the little incident he saw a petite young woman with indigo hair come through the door way, with tears streaming down her face.

“Are you okay?” he inquired as he got closer to her. Startled she spun toward him with fear filled eyes.

“Please don’t hurt me!” she said, all but drowned out by the sound of the music in the club.

“I’m not gonna hurt you. Are you alright?” he repeated.

“Yes, I’m fine now.” she said. Shaking his head in disbelief Blitz said

“Most people don’t cry when their okay doll. It’s alright now, you can tell Blitz what’s going on.”

Taking a moment to compose herself the young woman told Blitz of how the paramedic had rescued her earlier, and how the cowboy had went to his aid.
“Of course! Leave it to Doc to steal my thunder and Case to just appear where trouble is.” he said jokingly waving over another security guard to assist the young woman.

“By the way, I didn’t catch your name Miss.....” Blitz said backing towards the door.

“Leah.” the young woman answered.

“Right well then Leah, when this is settled I believe I’ll treat you to a dance. And Blitz doesn’t take no for an answer.” he said disappearing into the darkened hallway.

Breathing contentedly, the indigo haired young lady turned to the security guard beside her, to realise it was Matt, the same young man whom Case had asked to escort her to the bar. Smiling playfully she repeated the process from earlier and was gone before he had a chance to blink.

-----------------------------

Doc looked down at the whimpering form of the gang leader as he cradled his bleeding face. The other boy had had enough that much was certain, but there were still more to be dealt with. Coming out of his thoughts he ducked the sidearm punch threw at him by a large, gap toothed boy with a pierced nose. Lashing out with his boot he caught the drunk man square in between the legs.

Looking around he witnessed one of the group soar into the dumpster beside the club, having been hurled by Case after the boy had sucker punched the cowboy. That left a total of three left to deal. Even as the thought crossed his mind a fist came hurtling towards the back of his head, only to be stopped short by an interfering blur.

Turning at the new arrival Doc was met with the smiling face of Blitz, standing over the prone form of his assailant.

“Aw c’mon now Doc,can’t always save your ass now can I?” he teased before charging over to one of the last two drunks.Dodging under the clumsy swing of the boy as he ran past him, he didn’t see the second until the fist connected with his ribs. As the wind rushed out of him he stumbled and would have taken a nasty blow to the face if Doc had not stepped in and layed the guy out with a trash can lid.

“Hmm. Who’s saving whom now?” Doc laughed turning in time to witness Case send the final combatant into the realm of unconsciousness with a bone shattering right.

“Well would you look at that Blitz, I believe that sucker punch to his face may have actually helped with Case’s good looks.” Doc joked pointing at the burly cowboy as he retrieved his hat.

“Heh. Still gotta long way to go before Ah start lookin as ugly as you though.” Case joked back.

“Nah, I think he’s got a point Case. A few more beatings like that and you might start to even resemble me in all my manly glory.” Blitz said playfully.

“God forbid. Ah’d rather sand paper a bobcat’s butt in a phone booth than look anything like either one’a ya’ll!” the cowboy said

Dusting themselves off they headed back inside the club leaving a mass of semi-conscious college students outside as the police arrived on the scene.

---------------------

" So let me get this straight, the cops didn’t do nothing? " asked Blitz incredulously.

" No. But their taking those kids in to stay the night in lockup. " said the barkeep, a skinny guy named Jacob with a platinum blonde mohawk and silver hoop earrings.

" Still I don’t like it. " rambled Doc holding a bag of ice over his newly acquired black eye.

" Gave you a nice black eye, didn’t they Doc? " Blitz asked, his rib was still aching from the blow he had taken.

" Nope. I took the manlier course and broke his hand with my face. " Doc said sarcasticaly.
Looking around the janitors were sweeping up the floors and security was escorting out the few who were to drunk to walk.

" Man honestly you guys are lucky, if you didnt do such a good job as bouncers the boss would'nt let you come around. " Jacob said.

" Well if we wouldn’t a been here then he'd a had'im a lawsuit for rape, or worse a murder at his back door. " growled Case as he half-supported half-carried a man from the room. His left cheek was swollen from the sucker punch he had taken.
" True that man, true that! " Jacob said wiping down the counter.

" Speaking of job, how about our pay Jake? " Doc asked.

" Yep here you guys go. " Jacob said handing each of the young men an envelope with their name on it. Reaching inside Doc counted out the five 100 dollar bills.

" Yeah it's always a pleasure Jake. " said Blitz stuffing his envelope in his pocket.
Case entered the room removing his now stained jacket, revealing a tribal design on his left forearm.

" What happened to you? " Blitz inquired.

" Guy throwed up on mah jacket....." the cowboy muttered, tossing said jacket onto a barstool.

" Look on the bright side, the swelling in your face takes away from all the ugly! " Doc joked.

" Ah'm just wonderin what happened to Miss Leah earlier." Case said, rolling his eyes at the medics playful joke.

“Yeah I still owe her a dance!” Blitz wheezed half-heartedly.

As the three young men continued to chat amongst themselves suddenly the room began to spin once more.

“What the hell-” Jacob started before his voice erupted into a blood curdling scream.

As the room continued to shimmer and twirl, the three young men witnessed what appeared to be a tear form in the very air above the bar. From out of this hole in reality stepped something from a nightmare.

Standing seven feet tall it looked like a scarecrow, with long spindly arms and legs, covered in tattered rags of clothing and a pointed hat. From underneath this hat two glowing orbs of fire was the only distinguishing feature in an otherwise black void.

Swiveling toward the creator of the noise, the creature brought up one of it’s clawed hands and began to shake a small silver bell. As the three looked on in horror, Jacob seemed to wilt and dim as something pale and shimmering began to pour out of him. As the sparkling vapor began to draw near to the creature it pulled aside its ragged coat, revealing a bandolier full of what appeared to be glass lanterns. It reached in and opened one of the containers and the shimmering mist was sucked inside.

As the last of the pale light entered the lantern it began to emit a faint glow. As Doc, Case and Blitz looked on in horror, Jacobs limp body fell to the floor unmoving. Seeing his friends fate Blitz was the first to react. With reflexes honed by years of sports he scooped up a beer bottle and hurled it at the creature’s head.

As though seeing them for the first time the scarecrow thing lashed out at Blitz as he started moving. Quicker than the eye could follow it’s clawed had missed him by a fraction of an inch before he dove out of the way. As it turned to make another attempt Doc yelled, drawing it’s attention away from Blitz.

Turning towards this new prey it lashed out again trying to capture the paramedic, but he ducked behind the bar, as it’s clawed hands left deep gouges in the wood top. Leaning over the counter to continue it’s assault the scarecrow had a bar stool broken over it’s head as Case brought it crashing down.

Swinging it’s arm wide it knocked the cowboy twenty feet, to collide with the wall. Turning towards Blitz it brought it’s hands together, sending a shock wave out that hurled the athlete over to land beside Case.

Rushing to intercept the monster before it got to his friends, Doc got between it and them holding one of the legs of the bar stool Case had broke. Thinking desperately for a plan he heard a shuffle behind him, and a moment later was joined in his stand by Case and Blitz.

As the scare crow monster drew nearer it began ringing that bell again. With each chime the trio felt weaker and weaker.

Summoning all his will Doc stood against it, and felt the weakness leaving.

Summoning all his courage Blitz fought back, and felt his strength return.

Summoning all his self control Case rebelled, and felt the affliction disperse.

Suddenly the monster was hurled back through the wall. Turning in suprise the three boys saw a lone figure standing in the middle of the room with her hand outstretched. A figure with indigo hair..

As the three watched in amazement the demon began pulling itself from the wreckage. Closing her hand the wall above the monster cave in on it pinning it for a moment. Turning towards the three confused young men she said

“I knew you three were the ones. I will explain later, but now I offer you a choice. Stay here and perish with your world, or come with me and perhaps become part of something extraordinary. Choose now I cannot stay much longer in this realm.”

Even as she spoke the rubble began to shift and quake as the scare crow thing dug it’s way out.

“Well guys, what do you think?” Doc asked.

“Hell yeah. I’m not staying here with that thing.” Blitz said pointing at the shifting pile of sheet rock and lumber.

Grabbing his hat from where it had stayed miraculously untouched on the bar Case said

“Are you livin, or just existin? It ain’t very often a chance like this comes along. Ah'm in!” pushing his hat down on his head.

“We’re in Leah.” Doc said.

Smiling at this the indigo haired woman brought her hands together in thunderous clap. Just before the trio’s world went black a voice spoke.

“You have done well Luna.” it said.

“Thank you Tia.” replied the voice of the indigo haired woman formerly known as Leah.

As the conversation waned there was a sudden jolt.

“I’m losing them Tia!” Luna screamed.

“Hold them Luna, hold them!” shouted the voice of Tia.

“I can’t! Something about them makes it hard to focus! TIA HE-” was the last thing Case, Doc or Blitz heard before their world erupted into pain and everything went dark......

--------------------

END CHAPTER I

Alright glad that’s over.Between work and sleep I don’t have a whole lot of time to work on this but I’m gonna keep it up as much as possible as long as people keep reading. As I said comments and suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks for reading!

-Shatter-