• Published 18th Jun 2013
  • 3,138 Views, 68 Comments

In Search of Mother - Lunaguy



"It's like 101 Dalmatians but with shapeshifting bugs" -Machinima

  • ...
11
 68
 3,138

Chapter 0: Prologue

Anonymous cracked open his eyes and stared at the ceiling. He had slept all night and all morning. The fact that the alarm was the first thing to wake him up was a miracle by itself. He couldn’t remember the last time he had a full night of sleep. Before he could recall why that was, he felt a reminder climb up the side of the bed and underneath the covers.

A little lump made its way from the bedside to his chest, forging a path towards Anon’s face. Massive eyes sparkled into his own from under the covers, a pair of massive sky blue orbs. Anon reached his hands down and pulled the creature out from under the sheets, pushing back the covers and dropping the thing down on his stomach.

The little abomination smiled wide as Anon continued to blink at him a few times, still trying to gather his thoughts as he woke up. Anon ignored it for the moment and switched off his alarm clock before turning back to face it.

“Hey dad! I made sure no one woke you up this morning.”

Anon mumbled some form of thankful response and started to sit up. The half-child slid down into his lap and sat down on his insectoid haunches.

“So, do I get a hug today? Do I?”

Anon sighed and opened up his arms, much to the little bug-human’s delight. With a leap, he wrapped his arms around Anon’s neck and nuzzled his face into his chest, his swiss cheese legs scrambling to gain footing against the surface of Anon’s shirt. Anon returned the hug for a few moments before ushering him back down to the bed, swinging his own legs over the side and getting up.

The moment he opened his bedroom door, he was greeted by the sounds of chaos. Pretty much like every morning, in fact. A pair of changeling satyr-children ran around wrestling with each other, tackling each other to the ground and a kicking with their exoskeleton legs. First one and then the other, they saw Anon coming and stood up on their holed hooves, pressed against the wall to let him pass with their arms folded behind their backs.

Anon rolled his eyes and ignored them, moving on towards the living room. They gave each other a glare when they thought he wasn’t looking and fell in step behind him . As he entered the living room, he noticed half a dozen more abominations running around the couch and crashing over the end table. He let them be for the time being and headed for the kitchen. Ignoring the sounds of crashing dishes and roughhousing children, he poured himself a bowl of cereal and sat down at the kitchen table.

A large group of children gathered around the table, pushing and shoving each other to get closer to their father. He ignored them, like he always did, and kept eating. After a few moments of silently enjoying his breakfast, he put down his spoon in his empty bowl and pushed it away, turning his attention to the horde before him. They all smiled at Anon like they had done absolutely nothing wrong, as if that was even a remote possibility.

Anon sighed and leaned on his elbow. “Alright, someone go first. I don’t care who.”

They all started shouting at once, jumping over one another and trying to climb up in his lap. “ALRIGHT, EVERYONE, PARK IT AND COOL IT. SIT THE FUCK DOWN.” Anon raised a hand, and his voice, bringing the room back down to a calmed state as the childlings returned to the floor.

“Fine. Guess I have to choose. You, closest one. What’s happening?”

One of the children, a little girl, smiled and came up to his feet. She wrapped an arm around his leg and looked up at him with pleading eyes, her smile immediately disappearing into a pout as she got his attention.

“Daddy, Church was being mean to me.”

Anon’s expression remained entirely unmoved. “Did you hit him?”

She frowned. “Yes.”

“Did he stop?”

“No.”

“Well, obviously you have to hit him harder. But if that still doesn’t work, follow him around and find out what he likes. Then take it away from him and make him promise to leave you alone. It’s easy.”

The little girl pouted for real and crossed her arms. “But why don’t you just spank him?”

“Because if I were to spank every one of you, I’d be here all day. And your asses are made of bug bone or something. Shit hurts. Next!”

Chrysalis had been a fine enough woman, when she was in her human form, Anon thought. He’d grown to love her, but whether or not he had actually fallen in love with her or the image she was projecting still wasn’t quite clear in his mind. That night was one of the best he had in his life. The years that followed it, however, were less than satisfactory.

Seven years ago, Anon had awoken to find his house filled with somewhere between seventy a hundred eggs. He never did actually get an accurate count, and there was no way he could get one now that they hatched.

On his fridge, there was a simple note:
“I had a great night. Unfortunately, I can’t stick around. Love loses its taste if you keep feeding from one person. Please watch after my little ones, because Celestia as my witness, I sure can’t. <3”

That was the day Anon had become father to about a hundred little bug people.
The next child, a little boy, came up and smiled. Anon patted him on the head.

“What’s up?”

“Nothin’, I just wanted a hug.” The kid held out his arms in anticipation.

Anon sighed and bent over, giving him what he asked for. “I still don’t get what’s up with you guys and hugs.”

“We just like ‘em, is all.”

Anon placed him back down on the ground. “What’s your name?”

“Crispy.”

Anon smiled. When the majority of them had grown old enough to read single words out loud to themselves, he had let them go through a dictionary and choose their own names. There was no way in hell he was going to name them all himself. Since they didn’t really have the ability to read whole sentences at that point, most have them had chosen their names without knowing the meaning behind them.

“Nice name, kid. Next.”

Anon spent the rest of his morning dealing with the issues of the day and rubbing his temples. Eventually, all of the kids who wanted to see him did so, and Anon did pretty much all he could to solve their problems.

He placed his bowl in the sink and looked at the time. Great, I’m going to be late again, he thought. Of course, there wasn’t much consequence for being late anymore. One night Anon had discovered that his children had the ability to disguise themselves as... well, real children. The next morning, he had brought five of them to work, in an attempt to explain why he was so late every day. Apparently five was enough to get him off the hook, so his schedule had been a lot more malleable in recent times.

Anon threw on some new clothes and headed for the door, waving goodbye to all of the childlings inside.

“I’m leaving. If you need anything, I’ll be back at the usual time. I still don’t know how you guys are alive considering you won’t eat anything I feed you, but, you know, do what you always do for lunch, if you even eat it. Don’t destroy the house any more than you already have.”

A chorus of goodbyes blasted at him from within, nearly shattering his eardrums as he stepped outside. A few more changeling creatures played in the front yard, following Anon’s rule and disguising themselves as humans while outside. One of them spotted him and beamed, flying toward him with invisible wings. She landed on his back and wrapped her arms around him in a hug.

Anon nearly tripped from the surprise attack. “Hey, no flying outside, we’ve been over this! We don’t want the neighbors freaking out.” He glanced around to make sure no one noticed. “What do you want?”

“I just wanted to ask if you had a good night’s sleep! It was my idea to leave you alone until you were awake.” She tilts her head to the side and keeps her smile up, as if waiting to be showered in praise.

“The kid who was waiting for me to wake up said it was his idea.”

“Aw, man! I bet it was Jet. He’s such a lying butt head. I bet he got a hug for it, too?”

Anon nodded. “Yep. I still don’t understand the hugging thing, but hey, if its all you guys want from me, I can do it. What’s your name, anyways?”

“Mistake!” She dropped from his shoulders and stood in front of him, eyes squinted and smile wide.

Anon can’t help but smirk. “Such a fitting name. And to think, you came up with it all on your own.”

She reached out her arms and Anon obliged, picking her up for a quick hug. “I have to leave now, but I guess I have time for one more hug. Especially in return for a good night of sleep.”

He set her down on the ground and stepped over her, leaving the house behind on his way to the sidewalk. “Bye, Mistake. Tell your brothers and sisters... well, I don’t know. Tell them I like them when they aren’t breaking things. Or fighting. Or blamin-” Anon sighed. “Well, tell them I like them on rare occasion.”

She nodded as Anon walked away. She watched from a distance as Anon left for work, leaving the children alone to their own devices. One of her sisters, Breeze, came up beside her.

“I’m hungry. Let’s go get some food.”

Mistake nodded and licked her lips, looking off down the row of houses. The sisters nodded at each other and headed down the street, still in their human forms. They approached the front door of a house they haven’t visited before. Breeze reached up and rang the doorbell, quickly jumping to Mistake’s side as footsteps approached the door. An old lady answered, taken back by the height of her unexpected visitors.

“Hello, miss! We just wanted to know, would you like a hug?”

Author's Note:

The children are "satyrs". In case there is any confusion, let me explain this.

In ancient Greek mythology, satyrs were a race of bipedal beings that had goat legs and a human torso, kind of like a centaur but if they only had two legs instead of the whole horse.
Recently /mlp/ has taken to bastardizing the term and using it to refer to pony/human offspring that through [magic] have pony half on the bottom and human half on the top.
Example: http://derpibooru.org/337410?scope=scpea81a2f376055fdb3edaffe65a0c1eb5d64bb40c9
Now you know.