• Published 14th Feb 2012
  • 1,365 Views, 10 Comments

Cliffhangers - neutralmilk



A collection of short stories putting the Ponies in perilous conditions. Will they make it through?

  • ...
0
 10
 1,365

.... OR DOES SHE

With her last bit of strength, Twist desperately grabbed into her saddlebag searching for something. She pulled out an inhaler and took a long puff on it, instantly opening her lungs back up. The scare she had received definitely had put a toll on her. And the quick breathing probably didn’t help either. Or her asthma. She chose to blame the situation for her breathing problems, however.

Even though she was able to breathe now, the mysterious glow was coming closer, with Twist still facing what she felt to be imminent doom. As it stepped in front of Twist, the filly could see in the breaks of moonlight that the horn and its aura in fact belonged to a mare. With a head.

“Behold! I am the Great and Powerful Trixie!” the mare screamed, a random flash of fireworks going off behind her. Twist stopped cowering and stepped forward cautiously, one hoof at a time.

“Wait a minute. You mean you aren’t the Headless Horse?” she asked the midnight blue mare who stood before her.

“Certainly not! That’s just an old Mare’s tale.” Instead of fear, anger was now pouring through Twists small body.

“Then why did you try to scare me? Why chase me through the forest with that freaky blue light!” she belted, taking the offensive.

“You accuse the Great and Powerful Trixie of trying to scare you?! I’ve never heard of anything so… so…” She stopped and plopped down on the forest floor. “Aw, who am I kidding. I’m sorry kid. I heard a voice and wanted to check it out. I couldn’t see a thing out here so I thought to light the way with my horn.” Trixie gave a sheepish grin as she tried to get out of the mess she found herself in.

“Ok, but why didn’t you call out or anything?” Twist asked calming down slightly.

“Serious? The last thing I wanted to do was make a noise and find out I was following an Ursa Minor or something! I had to be sure. Besides, I made an appearance now, didn’t I?”

Trixie did have a point. Twist had calmed down now and began chatting with the lonesome Mare who kindly brought her back to the coach where she lived. Twist explained the reason for her venture into the Everfree Forest, as did Trixie. It went something like this:

Trixie ran out of Ponyville after the Ursa Minor incident and fled into the Everfree Forest, fearing that she would be followed by the angry ponyfolk. She was wrong, (big shock) and after a while decided to stay in the forest working on a new routine.

She felt bad for the ostracized (oh I love that word. Sounds like ostrich. Ha.) filly and came up with a plan to exact revenge on the cruel classmates. Trixie explained her idea and a smile stretched across both of their faces.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diamond Tiara and silver Spoon were enjoying their sleepover that exact night. They laughed over trivial things like boys, and other topics I know all too little about. That’s right, the author decided to break the fourth wall and present his opinions (uh, my opinions). Regardless, it had been a perfect night. The two were finishing up painting each other’s hooves and giving each other makeovers.

ZZZZZZp

The lights in the room went out as Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara looked at each other. They were frightened at the random event and quickly jumped to the bed in the room’s center. A loud thump was heard outside. The two quietly and slowly approached the window and looked down toward the ground. They saw nothing.

The two returned to the bed and began to shiver now in fear and confusion. The sound of a door opening and closing echoed through the house. “Mom? Dad?” Diamond Tiara called out, only then remembering that the two were out at one of Photo Finish’s fashion shows. Apparently the new face of fashion was this shy pegasi with a pink mane.

They heard the sound of hooves now climbing the stairs toward the room. The two ponies were horrified and hid under the sheets; meanwhile the doorknob began to turn. Finally, there was pure silence.

After a minute or so, Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara looked out from under the sheets. There was nothing there, just an open door. A wave of relief fell upon the two as they climbed out. Suddenly, they heard a creak behind them. They turned to find a headless horse, no THE Headless Horse standing before them, with its horn glowing a bright blue. The two screamed and galloped from the house as fast as they possibly could.

With that, the lights turned back on and Trixie’s head reappeared; the effects of the invisibility spell wearing off entirely. She began laughing as Twist came from behind her laughing equally as loud. Twist had gotten her payback and had gained a cool new friend. Trixie learned the value of being kind and had come to enjoy the company of the filly she had just met recently under shaky conditions. The two bro-hoofed and walked out of the house and into the cool night, laughing under the glowing moon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, the real Headless Horse stood at the edge of the forest and watched with an air of delight. He didn’t smile. Nope, cause he don’t got a head. Which sucks.

Ha. Ostrich.