• Published 1st Jul 2013
  • 674 Views, 6 Comments

Thing a Day - Rennoc215



A compilation of one shot stories, each written in one day, with a wide variety of themes and characters.

  • ...
2
 6
 674

Workhorse

Thing a day: Workhorse

The large brown stallion slowly approached his sleeping son. "Quick Quill?" He asked, pushing the sleeping colt gently. "It's time to wake up. It's eleven am."

The colt in question groaned, but slowly got to his feet. "What's the deal, dad?" he asked, clearing his eyes.

"I need your help out at the shop," the stallion said, which earned another groan from the tired son. "Now now, hurry up. The sooner we get out there, the sooner we can come back."

Quick Quill sighed, and nodded his head. "Sure thing, dad." He said, stretching slowly.

The morning grind took a little bit longer than usual, and Carved Oak noticed. "Something wrong?" He asked, preparing the two of them a cup of coffee.

"It's nothing, dad. I was just up late last night writing." Quill replied, yawning.

Oak shrugged. "Whatever you say, kid," He replied, passing the exhausted colt a cup of coffee.

-+-+-+-+-+-

The work was slow, and Quick Quill's pace definately wasn't helping. "Come on, kid. You could move your hooves just a little bit faster." His father called to him, carrying a number of wooden dowels from one side of the structure to the other.

Quick nodded, and frowned slightly as he picked up the pace. I just want to get home and get back to writing. This novel's sure to be a top seller, He thought.

-+-+-+-+-+-

Two hours had passed, and all the work was done. Quill looked back, and sighed. He really shouldn't have been so hard on his father, seeing as the help shortened a day's work down to that of a few hours. "Hey dad?" He called.

Oak peeked his head around the corner. "Yeah, Quill?"

"Sorry about being such a mule today."

At that, his father began laughing. "It wasn't really a big deal. We got it done, and that's what mattered. Did you learn anything from today?"

Quick Quill smiled. "Of course. Get it done, so you don't have to worry about it later."

Author's Note:

I'm exhausted today, so I'm sorry this is so short. Also, that ten minutes late. :/

Ah well, hope you all enjoy.