• Published 9th Jun 2013
  • 2,060 Views, 118 Comments

No Heroes Part III - For Dreams - PaulAsaran



Luna's team takes on its first task, working together with the Element Bearers. But with Fine Crime out of action, can Luna keep the team going in their dreams?

  • ...
1
 118
 2,060

Arrivals

The town was bustling with activity, the goat-like Nilgiri citizens and workers going about their noisy business. The air was unpleasantly hot and filled with moisture. The air dock glistened. The homes and structures surrounding it did not. They looked old and worn, though not uncomfortable. Everything seemed bright, the air dock a shiny new feature in an antiquated world.

In short, it was all exactly as Octavia remembered.

“This place looks awfully small for a capitol city,” Jimmy noted curiously as the six ponies and one dragon strode down the long walkway to the ground below.

“That’s because it’s not the capitol,” Twilight noted. “Delgiri is about three hours north of here by carriage, or so I was told.”

“Their capitol city doesn’t even have an air dock?” Spike asked from her back.

“The nilgiri value their traditions,” Octavia noted from the front of the group. “There are all sorts of building codes in the major cities to prevent skyscrapers and the like from ruining the traditional, culturally significant views. As a result modern elements like sky docks need to be set outside of the older cities.”

“Is it always so hot?” Upper Crust asked, eyeing the sun disapprovingly.

“We’re a lot closer to the Equator than Ponyville,” Twilight declared as if this explained everything.

“Yer not afraid o’a little heat are ya, city pony?” Applejack asked with a playful smirk.

“No,” Upper Crust answered uncertainly, “it’s just a little uncomfortable, that’s all.”

“I think it feels great,” Spike confessed, lounging on Twilight back to prove his point.

“You think red-hot magma feels great,” Twilight noted unpleasantly. “We’re ponies, not dragons.”

“You get used to it,” Octavia said with disinterest, head swiveling back and forth to scan the area at the bottom of the ramp.

Rainbow Dash hovered over them, scanning the crowds of nilgiri who hardly paid any mind to the presence of foreign ponies. “Isn’t somepony supposed to meet us? Not much of a welcome for the visiting heroes.”

“I doubt the nilgiri view us in the same light as you do, Dashie,” Jimmy noted with an exasperated smile.

“Octy!” A lone voice rang out over the crowds, catching their attention just as they reached the bottom of the ramp. It took several seconds, but they finally noticed a lone pony approaching them from the crowds. He was a short Earth pony with a dark purple coat and light green mane that clashed horribly against one another. When he finally got through the crowd he embraced Octavia in a big hug that she happily returned.

“Rochette,” she cried happily, “it’s been far too long!”

“Two-and-a-half years, roundabouts.” He pulled back with a grin, at which point the others noticed that he was significantly shorter than her. “How’s mum and pop?”

“Still arguing up a storm,” she answered with a chuckle, “and therefore just fine.”

The strangely-colored pony noticed the five others watching them and turned to address them properly. “Oh, sorry, how rude of me. You must be the delegation sent by the Princesses of Equestria. I am Rochette, Assistant Interior of the Ambassador.”

“A pleasure to meet you,” Twilight answered sincerely. “I’m Twilight Sparkle, and these are my friends Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Jimmy Stone, and Upper Crust. You already know Octavia, of course.”

“Eh, we might have met,” Rochette admitted as if his sister were beneath his attention. Octavia raised an eyebrow in amusement and bumped him with her flank playfully. “If you’ll all join me I’ll take us to the carriage for the capitol. The President has arranged for a banquet in your honor.”

“I guess Benjamina couldn’t make the time to greet us,” Octavia noted sourly as they all made their way through the crowds.

“You know Benji,” Rochette answered without concern, “too busy for anything but work, work, work. But she’s offering to let you and your friends – I assume they’re your friends?” Octavia nodded. “She offered to let all of you stay at her place for the duration of your stay, if you feel so inclined.”

“Really?” Applejack asked in amazement, “she can house all o’ us at once?”

“That’s very generous,” Twilight admitted, “and we’d be happy to accept if it’s not too much trouble.”

“I’m sure that will be fine,” Octavia agreed in a businesslike tone.

A few minutes later and the team, along with Rochette, were nestled in a long, comfortable carriage, the kind usually reserved for the rich. Rainbow, Applejack and Spike seemed to really appreciate the royal treatment. Jimmy and Upper Crust, on the other hand, were indifferent. Twilight was more interested in asking questions about Nildia, and Octavia was simply quiet.

“So tell me,” Twilight said to Rochette eagerly, “what’s it mean to be an Interior Adviser?”

The earth pony proudly sat up as tall as his tiny frame could muster. "The Ambassador’s main adviser helps him with all the details of Nildian policy. On the other hoof is my job: to keep the Ambassador in touch with events back in Equestria and help him recognize how such things affect foreign policy. I also work as a translator, keeping messages between the two nations easier to comprehend.”

“Ah” Upper Crust noted smartly, “so things like, say, visiting a team from Equestria is part of your job.”

“Something like that,” he acknowledged seriously. “To be honest, normally there’s be a much more elite welcome for something like this.”

“We understand,” Twilight said. “I imagine everypony’s pretty busy, what with the disasters that have been going on.”

The carriage was making its way out of the small town that had grown up around the air dock and was now entering a forested region. Rochette promptly tapped the top of the carriage, and a moment later small screens dropped over the windows. “To keep out bugs,” he noted helpfully at their questioning glances.

“So hey,” Jimmy started curiously, “how does a guy get to be Interior Adviser to the Ambassador of Nildia, anyway?”

“Family ties,” Octavia noted before her brother could speak up.

“I guess that helps,” he admitted sheepishly, “but I had to work for it, too. Mother taught us all about Nildian culture and history. The language, too. I was fascinated with the family history, so I went to school and majored in foreign relations.”

“Then somepony back home noted he was the great-great-grandson of a Nildian hero, and suddenly he’s got a cushy job at the embassy,” Octavia finished for him with a smile.

“It wasn’t that easy,” he muttered.

“A Nildian hero?” Applejack asked dubiously. “Like who?”

“Our great-great-grandmother was Karma Flash,” Octavia declared, though she clearly didn’t expect any of her friends to recognize the name.

“And who’s that?” Spike asked, confirming her suspicions.

“She was a reporter for the New Horseleans Tribune,” Rochette explained. “She’s the one who exposed the previous regime’s unethical activities, prompting the civil war that lead to the current government. Thus, a national hero.”

“Neat,” Twilight declared excitedly. “I can’t wait to learn all about Nildian history and culture! I don’t suppose you know of any books I could read on the subject?”

“Reading?” Rainbow Dash asked critically. “I don’t think there’s going to be much time for that while we’re here, Twilight.”

The unicorn blushed awkwardly. “Well, no, but I might want to read it when we’re done here…”

“I’m sure I have a copy of our father’s history on Nildia somewhere,” Rochette answered helpfully. “I’ll let you borrow it while you’re here.”

“That would be…” Twilight’s words were cut off when the entire carriage rocked to a sudden stop. After a moment of confused silence Rochette opened the carriage door and took a step out, gesturing for the others to wait.

A moment later he was back inside, face white. “Your… friend has come to see you.”

“Friend?” Jimmy asked, “what friewhoa!” A flash of light sent him and Applejack sprawling in opposite directions. When the light faded Discord was there in the carriage, lying leisurely in the seats they’d been taking up. The sight of him made more than a couple ponies groan under their breaths.

“Hey,” Applejack snapped, climbing to her feet, “tha’ wasn’ very nice at all!”

“I’ll tell you what’s not nice,” the draconequus countered plainly, patting the cushions, “all of you get the royal treatment while I’m avoided like some sort of villain! Oh, heavy is the burden of being me.”

“Well what do you expect?” Rainbow Dash demanded in her usual fiery manner. “You’ve got a reputation, y’know.”

The creature sat up, having to keep his head low to avoid banging it against the carriage’s ceiling. Somehow he still managed to put on a peaceful, innocent manner. “Now really, Rainbow Dash, I may have played a game or two on you ponies, but remember that I’m reformed!” He added the last word with a touch of mockery, an angel’s halo appearing over his head. “We’re on the same side now, and I for one would like to be treated like it.”

Twilight was the first to acknowledge that the draconequus had a solid point. “Alright, Discord, we get it, and we’re sorry. Aren’t we?” That last was aimed critically at all the others in the carriage, who nodded obediently. “We’re just… not used to the idea yet.” Rochette took the opportunity to signal the driver, and the carriage began to move forward once more.

“Well I don’t know why,” Discord said with a grin, raising his claw and spinning the halo that had once been over his head around a finger. “I mean, have I not been nothing but a responsible, upstanding member of the community? Just ask Fluttershy. Pity she’s not here.”

“Didn’t Celestia send you ahead of us to do something?” Jimmy asked the creature gravely.

“Oh, straight to business, as always,” Discord griped, the halo slipping out of his hands and flying violently across the room. It cut deep into the wall of the carriage, dangerously close to Jimmy’s head and making the pegasus duck fearfully. “Tell me, Twilight, why did you have to bring all the most dull members of your little group along?”

Twilight stood from her seat to glare at him. “Discord, this is important! Nilgiri are dying and you’re still playing games.”

The draconequus leaned back at her glare, gaining a surprised look when his horns stabbed through the roof. His eyes rolled up to observe the ceiling, appearing genuinely annoyed when he realized he was stuck. “Confounded… listen my little ponies, despite what you might think of me I care for death about as much as any of you. I might have been a chaotic dictator, but my fun never really hurt anypony.” He spared a few seconds to try to pull himself out of the ceiling, but couldn’t manage it, so instead he snapped his fingers and disappeared in a flash of light.

An instant later he reappeared lounging in the laps of Rainbow Dash, Upper Crust and Rochette, who all gasped under his weight. “Oops, sorry,” he told them with a grin, “my aim’s a little off lately.” He snapped his fingers again and this time was in the carriage’s only vacant seat.

Octavia smiled smartly. “I suppose this is a job too big for the mighty Discord.”

He leaned up from his lounging spot to give the cellist a questioning look, which the others all shared. “Excuse me?”

Octavia leaned back in her seat smugly. “If helping us is too boring – or too difficult – perhaps you should just go back to Equestria and play with Fluttershy or Pinkie.”

The draconequus laughed loudly. “You see that, Twilight? This pony’s trying to manipulate me. How funny! You could learn a thing or two from that one.”

“You’re the one who doesn’t want to be direct,” Octavia noted simply. “You probably haven’t done anything but play games since you got here.”

Discord lowered himself back down on the seat. “Actually I’ll have you know I’ve been exploring under the sea along the coast.”

“Did ya find anything?” Applejack demanded eagerly.

“Not a thing,” he answered with uncharacteristic directness, leading to all the ponies lowering their heads in mild remorse. “I did learn some things, though.”

“Really?” Twilight asked, “like what?”

He began to count on his fingers, extra fingers growing out of his paw as he went on. “The seaweed is always greener in somepony else’s lake, I devoted all my time to floating, life is the bubbles, the fluke is the duke of soul, it’s hotter under the water…”

“Discord!”

“…oh, and there’s something really big under the oceans that may or may not be causing the waves.”

Everypony in the carriage went silent at the serious manner in which he’d said that last point. They all gave one another nervous glances, but none of them could recognize the thoughts suddenly running through Twilight’s mind. “…how big?”

He didn’t look at them, but instead stared up at the ceiling of the carriage with an uncharacteristically firm expression. “I don’t know. Huge, to be certain, but it somehow manages to stay out of sight. Light doesn’t travel very far when you go deep, and even I have limits to how far down I can go. But it’s unquestionably large enough to cause the waves that have been destroying the towns.”

Twilight considered this darkly. “We need to get a good look at it.”

“How are we supposed to do that?” Rainbow demanded incredulously.

“Yeah,” Jimmy added, “if Discord can’t get close to it, how are we supposed to?”

“I…” she thought for several seconds, but finally sighed in defeat. “I have no idea.”


The early morning sky over Ponyville was bright and sunny. To most ponies that was a good thing. If you were on the weather team it wasn’t good at all, because today rain was scheduled. There was still plenty of time to get the weather properly set up, though, and Lightning couldn’t do anything until she had taken care of Keen, which was why she was trotting along with the sleepy filly on her back.

“Flying?” she asked, giving the foal a curious look. “Ya really wanna learn to fly, Keen?”

The filly nodded her blue, almost white head sleepily. “I wanna fly on my own.”

Lightning would have laughed if she weren’t afraid of hurting Keen’s feelings. “So how are ya gonna fly without wings, hmm?”

Keen shrugged, rubbing her eyes in a vain attempt to wake herself up. “I dunno… maybe I can get magic wings…?”

“Magic wings?” Lightning had heard of a unicorn managing to do that a few years ago. She also remembered the stories stating that her wings burned up in the sun. “I dunno, little bolt…”

Keen stood up on the pegasus’ back. “…maybe I can…” She concentrated for a moment, her tiny horn glowing blue. Lightning, grinning, flapped her wings, a single quick beat. Keen slipped and fell back onto her belly with the motion, her horn fizzling out like a sparkler. The filly unicorn pouted at her failure.

Lightning chuckled to herself even as she felt just a little guilty. “Tell you what,” she told Keen, “if ever I meet a unicorn who can cast a spell to make wings, I’ll have him teach it to you. Deal?”

That made Keen smile through her weariness. “I’d like that. …maybe we can ask Twilight.”

The pegasus smiled and patted the tiny unicorn on her white-maned head. “Now I know you’re half-asleep, little bolt. Twilight’s out of town, remember?”

“I know…” Keen muttered, though it was obvious by her blushing face that she’d forgotten. She stifled a yawn and lay back down, snuggling between Lightning’s wings. Her fine, unusually long mane covered her face, and when her tail came forward to complete the circle she looked like nothing more than a ball of white hair, albeit with a tiny blue horn poking out. Her sleepy voice arose from somewhere within. “Maybe when she gets back…”

“Yeah, maybe,” Lightning agreed. She slowed her walk a little to make it more comfortable, knowing the filly would fall asleep regardless. She always did on the morning walk.

Lightning loved these walks. There was a time when she simply flew to get anywhere. It was fun and she enjoyed doing it. But so long as Keen was with her she preferred to walk. She didn’t have to think about the why. Despite everything she’d said, even though she’d wanted so desperately to go to Nildia with the others, at moments like these she was so very happy that she hadn’t.

And now the adoption was official. Well, semi-official; some know-it-all pony insisting she knew how best to raise foals would be coming by once a month for half a year just to make sure Lightning was doing her job as a parent. But it was a minor annoyance for the pleasure of having her own little filly to spend time with. How funny that Lightning, who’d never once before even thought about the concept of having children, was now raising one.

Lightning had been lost in happy thoughts when she arrived at the bridge to Fluttershy’s cottage. Now something caught her attention and made her pause; there was a chariot in Fluttershy’s front yard. It was one of the most recognizable chariots in Equestria, too: it belonged to Princess Celestia. She stared at the four-pegasus team strapped to it, amazed at the shiny armor and pageantry of the sight.

But there was no Princess Celestia. Lightning glanced around curiously, but there was simply no sign of the royal pony. Did that mean she was in Fluttershy’s cottage? But why would she be there?

Lightning didn’t know why she was so nervous. She’d met Princess Luna, hadn’t she? Heck, she worked for Princess Luna. So why would it be so strange to meet Princess Celestia? Yet even as she told herself this she approached the cottage with anxious steps. She glanced at the pegasus chauffer ponies, who barely acknowledged her. Oh for the days when she would dream of having a job like that.

Hesitating only a moment, Lightning knocked on the door. Under normal circumstances she and Fluttershy were friendly enough that she’d come to enter the cottage unannounced to deliver Keen, but knocking seemed appropriate right now. She waited, fidgeting nervously under the gaze of the royal ponies nearby, but finally the door opened.

“Oh, Lightning.” Fluttershy actually sounded surprised to see her. “I’m sorry, I forgot all about you coming by today with Keen. Umm…”

Lightning noticed how she wasn’t being ushered inside, and the yellow mare was clearly anxious about something. “I’m guessing you’ve got some special company…”

“…something like that,” Fluttershy acknowledged with a blush. “Umm, well, under the circumstances… oh, I don’t know…”

“A friend of yours?” a light voice asked from within. Fluttershy blushed and stepped outside to make room. Lightning felt her heart leap into her throat as Princess Celestia – the Princess Celestia! – emerged from the cottage with a gracious smile.

Lightning started to drop into a bow, but remembered just in time that Keen was still on her back. She paused, glanced back at the filly and tried to think of some alternative. Finally she just lowered her head and hoped it would suffice. “Princess,” she said in as respectful a manner as she could.

“Ah, if it isn’t Lightning Dust,” a new voice noted from inside the cottage, and a moment later they were joined by Princess Luna. “A pleasure to see you again.”

Both Princesses at one time? Lightning didn’t know whether to be thrilled or melt into unworthy pudding. “Oh… er… h-hello Princess Luna,” she offered, feeling strangely foolish.

“Lightning Dust?” Celestia asked thoughtfully. “Why you must be one of my sister’s loyal ponies. It is quite the pleasure to meet you.”

“L-L-likewise,” Lightning answered, glancing at Fluttershy questioningly. The yellow pegasus merely smiled approvingly.

Keen let out a yawn and began to shift on Lightning’s back. “…we there yet…?”

“And who’s this?” Celestia asked, lowering her head to get a closer look at the unicorn filly just as Keen’s tiny head poked out from under her mane and tail. The foal rubbed her eyes then caught sight of the Princess. Her eyes widened and she shrank back, hiding her face behind her mane timidly.

“Oh… umm… that’s Keen Arrow,” Lightning answered when it became clear that the apprehensive filly wouldn’t respond. “Sorry Princess, she’s really shy.”

Celestia giggled lightly, standing back to her full magnificent height. “She’s adorable! Is she your daughter?”

Lightning blushed, glanced away. “Err, yeah… adopted.”

“So,” Princess Luna noted pleasantly, walking up to get a closer look herself, “this is the filly Fine mentioned in his letters. The poor thing. But he did not lie; the two of you are a delightful sight together.”

Lightning blushed, this kind of praise sounding very strange to her ears. Fine had said that? Of all ponies?“Umm… thank you?”

Fluttershy walked closer to her fellow pegasus anxiously. She waved to Keen, who upon seeing her beamed and happily waved back. She looked as though she wanted to say something, but Fluttershy smiled and made a gentle silencing motion and the filly politely kept quiet. “I’m sorry, Princesses,” the yellow mare offered, “but I sometimes foalsit Keen while Lightning goes on weather duty. I forgot that it was my turn today…”

“That’s quite alright, my little ponies,” Celestia answered pleasantly. “This visit was rather impromptu. But under the circumstances perhaps it might be best if our two visitors waited out here for a moment longer?”

Lightning tried to avoid cringing, but failed. She needed to get to work, and she doubted the others on the weather team would believe a story about her being delayed by the sister Princesses of Equestria! She was supposed to be taking over Rainbow’s place as team captain, too; not a good way to build a reputation at all.

But she wasn’t about to say no to Princess Celestia. “Sure, I can wait,” she declared, hoping her thoughtful pause hadn’t taken too long. “I don’t want to be in the way and all…”

Luna glanced between Lightning and Fluttershy, then glanced back at the cottage. “Sister, you and Fluttershy should return. I will remain with Lightning for now.”

Celestia gave her sister a questioning look, which Lightning realized she was mimicking. “Are you certain, Luna?”

The Princess of the Night nodded confidently. “I have given my opinions and support. I think you will be able to form a decision without me.”

At that Celestia nodded. “So be it.” She gave Lightning and Keen another pleasant smile before turning to go back into the cottage. “Will you be staying too, Fluttershy?”

“N-no, I’m coming,” the timid pegasus called, giving Lightning another approving nod before following the Princess back into the cottage.

“Okay Keen, down you go,” Lightning ordered, gently dropping to her belly and letting the filly slide off of her.

The tiny unicorn turned to her and crept close, eyes on Luna. “S-she’s so... so… big.”

Lightning chuckled at that, realizing that to somepony as tiny as Keen the Princess must seem a veritable giant. “Don’t worry,” she answered, nudging the filly playfully, “she’s nice.”

Luna, hearing every word of the whispered conversation, smiled. “I try to be. Except on Nightmare Night when I eat little foals who don’t offer me any candy.”

Keen took a frightened step back, pressing against her adoptive parent as if to hide under her wing. Lightning chuckled and stood, causing the filly to tumble onto her side comically. “Don’t worry, Keen, Nightmare Night’s months away.”

“Indeed,” Luna acknowledged, leaning forward to look down on the trembling filly. “I promise, I’ve enough candy to last for a while, so I won’t be trying to eat you today.”

Keen didn’t answer, only ran to hide behind Lightning’s back legs fearfully. Princess Luna stood up once more, expression worried. “Oh my, but she truly is a shy pony. Forgive me, I did not mean to frighten.”

“It’s okay,” Lightning answered pleasantly, “it takes time for her to get used to strangers.” In truth she was a little disappointed; she’d hoped Keen would have been overjoyed to meet a princess.

“I understand,” Luna declared with a knowing smile. She sat in the grass comfortably, gesturing that Lightning should do the same. “I apologize that we are keeping you from your duties, Ms. Dust. My sister should be finished momentarily.”

Lightning took a moment to lie in the grass so her wing could shelter Keen, who was already yawning again despite her anxiousness. “It’s okay, really. But what are you and Princess Celestia doing here at Fluttershy’s? …your majesty.” She blushed at her own informal nature, having never spoken to royalty before today.

Luna glanced back at the cottage, her face masked with serious contemplation. “It is… an important issue that we are addressing, involving Fine Crime. He has made a very serious request of all of us. We have come to discuss the matter in detail.”

Lightning was by no means a subtle pony, but by now she’d been around Fine long enough to know when ponies were dodging. “So I’m guessing you can’t tell me any details.” Luna didn’t answer, but her expression said enough. The pegasus gestured with her head to the cottage. “I take it Fine’s in there, too?”

The Princess nodded solemnly. “I am afraid it is his presence that makes us so anxious. Until Fine leaves for home we cannot risk letting Keen in.”

Her words were very confusing. Lightning glanced at the filly, who was snuggling into a ball once more in the shade of her wing. “Are you saying that Fine Crime is dangerous?”

Luna closed her eyes and made a self-directed sound of annoyance. “I’ve already said too much, I fear, but yes. Fine is very dangerous at the moment.” Lightning opened her mouth, but the Princess interrupted sharply. “Do not ask, Ms. Dust. It is a private matter, which only a select few ponies are aware of. Fine will speak of it to you if and when he decides you should know.”

“And this is the guy who’s supposed to be leading our – sorry, your team? I’m sorry if it’s brash of me to say this, but how can we trust him when you can’t trust him to be in the same room as a filly?”

Luna set a hoof to her lips, thinking on the question thoughtfully. “…how to explain…?” She glanced around the bright yard, as if searching for inspiration. After a few uncertain moments her eyes locked on Lightning ponderously. “Tell me, Lightning, what do you fear?”

The question, seeming so completely off topic, made Lightning pause. “Wha… why?” Luna didn’t answer, only gestured that the pegasus should answer the question. “I… well, I’m not afraid of…” She coughed, choking down her bravado. This was Princess Luna she was talking to, not some foal she needed to impress.

“No, sorry, that would be a lie,” she admitted, shifting uncomfortably. “I used to be afraid of losing. Of not being the best. But after the Wonderbolts Academy fiasco… wait, do you know about that?”

The alicorn smiled comfortingly. “Go on.”

Good goddess, she did. Lightning slumped miserably, suddenly wanting to sink into some hole and disappear. But she went on, dragging the words out of her throat. “After… that… I became afraid that I wouldn’t be helpful to anypony. I wanted praise, true, but I also wanted to be acknowledged.”

Luna nodded patiently. “And now?”

Lightning winced. She’d hoped that the princess wouldn’t notice the truth, but she had. She took another glance at Keen’s sleeping form beneath her wing. As long as she couldn’t hear… “I guess… I guess I’m afraid of Keen.”

She waited for something. Mocking laughter, perhaps. A snide remark. Maybe just an amused expression. Instead the Princess merely waited calmly for her to go on. It was a welcome relief, and it made her feel better about the subject. “If I don’t do things right, they could take my little bolt away,” she confessed miserably. “I don’t know anything about raising a filly. What if they think I’m doing something wrong? What if I am? What if…”

She paused, not daring to speak the words that had crept into her mind. She shuffled back a little so she could snuggle against Keen worriedly, a shiver of fear running down her spine at the possibilities. But she wouldn’t say it out loud. She couldn’t.

Princess Luna’s expression was warm and confident. “I don’t think somepony who takes the matter as seriously as you do could possibly be at risk of such happening, Ms. Dust. Although I might recommend not worrying quite so much.” Lightning nodded, glad the Princess wasn’t going to press the matter further.

The alicorn continued, her tone regal but gentle. “You fight your fears every day, Lightning Dust. You were doing so even before you met your little friend. That is admirable, and I commend you for it.”

Lightning looked at her, touched. “Thanks! Umm… I mean, thank you your majesty.”

Luna nodded, her face abruptly solemn once more. “Fine Crime… he has his own fears. I have witnessed them, and they are of an entirely different element as yours. They are quite terrible to behold, and he spent much of his life fleeing them rather than facing them.”

Lightning considered this uncertainly, trying to imagine in her head a scared Fine Crime. “I didn’t think that jerk was afraid of anything. He always seemed too cold to have room for fear.”

“He is very afraid,” Luna replied, “and of all the things he fears one of the greatest is himself.”

That didn’t make any sense in Lightning head. “Why would anypony be scared of himself? What, does he refuse to look into mirrors?”

The princess smiled, but the expression lacked humor. “Fine knows that he is dangerous, Lightning. He fears what he can do, and what he could become. Sometimes he… hurts… other ponies, and he dreads the thought that he might hurt somepony important to him. That is why he seems so cold, and why he is so rarely seen in public: he deems the risk too great.”

“You make it sound like he’s sick in the head,” the pegasus noted, the Princess’ words making her strangely nervous.

Luna tilted her head with a curious expression. “In truth that is precisely how he described it to me. But to move on: Fine believes he has finally found a way to resolve this fear. He wants to fight it, but the risks are great for all involved, including both your allies and the Elements of Harmony. Celestia and I must weigh the situation carefully and decide whether he should be permitted to proceed.”

Lightning went from anxious to alert in an instant. “If it’s so dangerous for all of us, why aren’t we involved in it too? Don’t we deserve to know what’s happening?”

But the Princess shook her head. “This is not a matter numbers or aggression can assist in, Lightning Dust. Fine has chosen Fluttershy to help him with this endeavor, and for good reason. All other ponies may come under too great a risk.”

“No offense intended against Flutterhy, but I wouldn’t ask her to help with anything like that,” the pegasus countered seriously. “She’s scared of everything, and she’s supposed to help him, the scariest pony in Equestria, overcome his fears? Give me a break!”

She paused, clamping her mouth shut as she felt Keen shift beside her. Her tiny head poked out of her white hair with a yawn, and Lightning guiltily nuzzled her nose. “Sorry, little bolt,” she whispered, “I’ll be quieter, okay?” The filly nodded groggily and disappeared amongst her hair one more.

Lightning waited to be sure Keen was nodding off before looking back to the Princess with an apologetic blush. “Sorry…”

Luna shook her head, a pleased smile on her lips. “No, perhaps I should apologize for bringing the subject up. I suggest you try not to get involved with this, Ms. Dust…”

“…just Lightning. …your majesty…”

“…Lightning, then. Do not worry so much about Fine. He knows the risk, as does Fluttershy. And I know Fine well enough to know that he is not afraid to ask for help when it is necessary. If you are needed, they’ll let you know.”

Lightning wanted to argue the point, but held her tongue. It wasn’t acceptance, it was self control. After all, if she pressed the matter she might get riled again, and she had promised to be quieter for Keen.

“Alright, I’ll shut up about it,” she agreed, hardly satisfied.


Night in Nildia. The exterior hall Octavia stood in was huge, the walls made of glistening white concrete and decorated with lavish wool tapestries depicting luscious native landscapes. Behind her tall columns colored a soft grey arose to the ceiling, giving easy access to the interior courtyard of the mansion and a pond. The last time she’d come to this place the cellist had been astounded and impressed.

Now she was just mad.

She could hear the voices behind the door, though she couldn’t make out what was being said. Someone was angry, and she had a good idea who. The nilgiri servant who had guided her here looked as though he didn’t want to be there at all. She cast a firm, venomous glance his way to make it clear that he’d best not interfere before walking to the door and pushing it open just a crack.

“…pay you for? I told you this morning that there was no other option, didn’t I? What are you, an idiot?” The deep female voice, so markedly different from Octavia’s, was speaking Hindi. “Stop whimpering and grow a backbone! This contract is worth millions, and I will not lose it because my negotiator caught sight of a juicy flank. I want you to go out there and find Phurtīlā, and don’t come back till he sings! And if he sings the wrong tune, bring him back here so I can chop him into pieces and serve him as an hors d’oeuvre for our guests. …what are you standing around for? That means NOW!”

Octavia stood aside, making room as a lone, fretting nilgiri with one broken horn left the room. He hardly noticed the earth pony slipping into the room.

The office was large, just like the rest of the place. It wasn’t so lavishly decorated like the other rooms in the mansion, though what it did have most certainly cost a fortune. A couple display cases sporting ancient spears, pottery, and jewelry sat on one side of the room, showcasing the owner’s love of archeology. From the ceiling hung a full-sized antique fishing boat, which Octavia knew had been used by some ancient explorer whose name she couldn’t remember. Beyond that, a couple bookshelves and filing cabinets, nothing extraordinary.

At the back of the room sat a dark, antique wooden desk. It was very large, very neat, and looked incredibly heavy. Sitting at the desk, head low and scribbling on some parchment furiously, was a lone mare unicorn. She had a dark orange coat and a grey mane just slightly softer in color than Octavia’s, and had a slightly larger build. Octavia walked right up to the desk and glared at the pony.

After a couple silent seconds the mare stopped scribbling and let out a low growl. “…what does it take to get good help these days? Why are you…?” She looked up for the first time, their two sets of mulberry eyes locking for the first time in over four years.

The mare raised her glasses from her eyes, her expression startled. “Octavia?”

The cellist sneered. “That’s right, Benjamina. You do remember your little sister, don’t you?”

Benjamina smiled, dropping her glasses to the desk as she stood and walked around it. “Look at you! You’re a real lady now, aren’t ya?” She’d switched back to English. “Last I saw you you were still in school!”

Octavia stopped her with a hoof to her chest. “Where have you been?” she snapped angrily. “We all were expecting to see you today!”

Benjamina’s smile soured into an annoyed look as she backed off a step. “Nice to see you too, little sis.”

“It would have been nice,” Octavia agreed sharply. “I can understand that maybe you were too busy to see us at the air dock, and it makes perfect sense for you not to have been at the president’s banquet…”

“I wasn’t invited to that.”

“…but to not greet your houseguests when they first visit your home? All of my friends were hoping to meet you tonight, and you stood us up! Do you know what it’s like having to make excuses for something like that? It was humiliating!”

Benjamina shook her head, that annoyed expression still on her face. “Octavia, you have no idea how much work I put into this contract, and it’s at a critical stage. I had to…”

“This nation is facing an environmental crisis,” Octavia snapped, “but Rochette was able to come and spend the entire day with us. You cannot tell me that you couldn’t have spared the thirty minutes it would have required to come out of your office and greet my friends properly.”

The orange-coated pony sighed and rubbed her head with her hoof as if pained. For a moment she seemed very tired. “You’re right. I’m sorry, Octy, you’re absolutely right. I should have been there, and I don’t have a good excuse. I’m just so used to dealing with things in the business immediately…”

Octavia sneered and jerked her head away regally. “You haven’t changed a bit in four years, sis. Always the overachiever in everything but family.”

“Hey.” Octavia ignored her at first, but Benjamina stepped forward and set a hoof on her shoulder. “Hey.” The cellist made a frustrated sound and finally turned to give the businesspony her full attention.

“I didn’t want this visit to start out like this,” she admitted sadly. “I screwed up, Octy. I admit it. But please, let’s not bicker and feud this time. We almost never get to see each other, and for once – just once – I’d like us to get along.”

Octavia was taken aback, not just by her words but the sincerity that seemed bound to them. “Benji… that hardly sounds like something you’d normally say.”

Her sister smiled and shrugged. “Four years is a long time to go without seeing somepony you care about, especially when the parting was on such bad terms as ours.”

The cellist nodded solemnly. “We both meant what we said, didn’t we?”

“If I were a gambler, I’d wager that we still mean it,” the unicorn acknowledged. “So how about this time we just… agree to disagree? We are sisters, after all.”

“I guess you’re right,” Octavia said after a moment’s consideration. She then smiled and gestured to the door. “I see your temper hasn’t improved any.”

Benjamina laughed. “They’ve taken to calling me the ‘Fireball of the West,’ if you’ll believe it. But it gets the job done. I really am sorry about not showing up tonight, Octy. I promise I’ll make it up to your friends in the morning.”

Octavia took on her regal look for a moment. “You don’t have a choice: I told them you were guaranteed to show up for breakfast.” She winked. “I was prepared to be a fireball, myself.”

“Come on,” her sister ordered kindly as the cellist yawned, “you’ve had a long trip. Walk and talk: I’ll bring you to your room. So how’s everyone back home? Mom and dad still fighting like Timberwolves?”

“And loving every moment of it,” Octavia acknowledged with a grin. “They wouldn’t have it any other way. I don’t get to see them so often anymore since I moved out of Trottingham.”

They stepped out of the office and started to make their way across the courtyard, fireflies glowing in the night and frogs chirping loudly. The grass was cool under their hooves, a stark but pleasant contrast to the warm night air.

“What about our siblings?” Benjamina asked as they walked the perimeter of the pond, their reflections shimmering in the water’s surface. “Chalkboard still a lazy bum?”

Her jovial manner made Octavia grin. “Yes, he still surfs. That’s one pony I don’t think will ever change.”

Her sister shook her head with a roll of her eyes. “And he used to be so hard on himself. Oh well, I guess not everypony can be like us, hmm? I hear Harpsi Chord’s taken a real liking to you these past few years.”

At that the cellist blushed. “Yes… he seems to think he’ll be a great cello player some day.”

“Everyone needs a hero,” Benjamina declared pleasantly. “You should feel honored he chose you.”

Octavia couldn’t help the doubt that crept into her mind. “I never felt like a hero…”

Benjamina paused at the entrance to a stairwell, her expression firm. “You should take more pride in your successes, Octy. I heard about what you did, helping to rescue the Crystal Empire from Sombra’s return. And now you’re on this team to help Nildia. Somepony out there must think you’re heroic enough.”

“I’m going to be a translator, Benji,” Octavia declared without enthusiasm. “That’s the extent of it. Not very heroic.”

Her sister gestured for her to follow. As they climbed up the stairs the unicorn noted pointedly, “They could have chosen any old pony or nilgiri to act as a translator. They chose you. Aren’t you proud? I am.”

It was Octavia’s turn to stop. She was so surprised by what she’d just heard she had to sit and think on it to be certain she’d heard it. “Did you just… did you really just say that?”

Benjamina paused to give her a smart smile at the top of the stairs. “Even if we don’t usually get along, I can still be proud of my sister. You make it easy, Octavia.”

The cellist hesitated, climbing the stairs with head low. “But… you said my career was pointless. I remember you laughing when I told you what I’d decided to do for a living. It really hurt…”

“And you proved me wrong,” the unicorn confessed, waiting patiently for her to catch up. “I might not visit the family much, Octy, but I do keep an eye on all of you. You might not be a rich pony, but you worked hard and forced ponies to recognize you despite all your setbacks. If I respect anything, it’s hard work. My only problem is that I don’t think you have the reputation I know you should by now, and it’s not your fault at all.”

Octavia had to sit down once more. Never in her life had her sister dropped so much praise upon her head before. Benjamina, the most critical, harsh, perfectionist pony she’d ever known. “You… mean that…?”

Her sister facefaulted. “If you’re going to keep doing this every time I open my mouth it’ll be time for breakfast by the time we get to your room.”

“Right, sorry.”

“…and yes, I mean it.”

Octavia was flattered. Truly. She had no idea what to say to this, so she didn’t say anything. Her sister… maybe she’d changed a bit in the past four years. It was a pleasant idea, pleasant enough that Octavia was starting to forgive her for not showing up that evening.

“So…” Benjamina added after a few nervous seconds, “…how long are you and your friends supposed to stick around?”

“Until the problem is solved, I guess,” the cellist answered. “I don’t really know.”

“However long it takes, we simply must take time to visit properly. I’ll do my part, sis. Promise.”

For the first time since this trip had started, Octavia was beginning to like how things were going. “I’ll look forward to it.”


“I am not looking forward to this,” Fluttershy noted anxiously.

“Perhaps you should consider what Fine is going through right now,” Princess Celestia replied beside her, though there was clear worry in her voice.

They were in one of the house’s four towers, in a windowless room on the fourth floor. The walls were made of dark wood, floor and ceiling similarly so. It was dimly illuminated by a candled, enchanted chandelier that kept the room in a flickering dim light. Fine had referred to this place as the Room of Solace, though he’d never explained why. In the center of the room sat the only piece of furniture: the rack, which had somehow been moved upstairs. And on the rack lay Fine, carefully being strapped in by Princess Luna’s magic. Just as Fluttershy had expected, the image was a strange one.

And somewhat disturbing.

Fine had his eyes closed tight as he allowed himself to be strapped in. “I know I’m fretting pointlessly,” he declared, “but you’re really sure I won’t be able to use my magic?”

“It’s alright to fret,” the Princess of the Night answered calmly. “Considering the stakes, I’d be worried if you weren’t bothered. To answer your question, yes, I am certain. I removed the old spell and forged an entirely new one with my sisters help. The curse should be stronger now than it ever was.”

“Good…” he muttered, though he didn’t seem comforted. “…that’s good…”

Princess Celestia took a sharp step forward, the sound of her hoof striking the wooden floor echoing eerily in the room. “Fine, you can still change your mind. You do not have to go through with this task.”

But he answered without hesitation. “Yes I do. I absolutely must go through with it.”

The Princess took a heavy breath of displeasure, but did not press him. She turned her eyes on Fluttershy, who shrank under that gaze. Celestia didn’t have to speak to make it clear she was making the same offer to Fluttershy.

The pegasus was nervous, even scared. But she reminded herself that she wasn’t the one taking the real risk. It was Fine Crime strapped to that rack, about to face weeks if not months of both mental and physical agony. If he was willing to go so far, Fluttershy wasn’t about to back down. It would have been like an act of betrayal.

Celestia clearly understood her intentions, for she turned away haughtily and said nothing.

“Alright, last part,” Luna noted quietly, a small horn-shaped cap and band floating over Fine. “Once this is over your horn, you shouldn’t be able to use your magic.” Encased in a dark glow, the cap slowly slid down over Fine’s horn, the band encircling his head. “Try it now.”

Fine simply lay there, eyes tightening as he tried to use his magic. For nearly a minute they all remained still. At last the unicorn relaxed. “Nope, it’s definitely working.”

“Can you move?”

He struggled against the shackles and bonds that covered his body, finally opening his eyes to try to examine himself. He tried to move his head, but couldn’t get it more than an inch up from the rack. His entire body was completely pinned, and after several seconds of straining he relaxed once more. “Got me wrapped tighter than a Hearth’s Warming Eve present. My compliments to the dark mistress.”

Luna was not amused, nor was anypony else in the room. “We shall wait for you to have a vision, as agreed. If you cannot free yourself, we will be…” She paused just short of saying ‘satisfied.’ “…we will accept the situation.”

“Alright,” he whispered, eyes flickering around at his bonds. “It usually takes around five minutes. Celestia, would you come within eyesight, please? The vision will be stronger if you’re both in view.”

Celestia did as he asked, going to stand regally beside her sister. Fluttershy hesitated, until he called her name. “Are… are you sure…?”

He made a motion with his head, perhaps meant to be a nod. “Consider it a preview of coming attractions. This way you’ll get a small taste of what’s coming.”

She sighed but approached, standing beside Luna and near his hind legs. She didn’t like to see him tied up like that, nor the fact that she’d have to keep him like this for an unknown amount of time. But if it was what needed to be done…

“How will we know when you’re having a vision?” Celestia asked.

Luna glanced at her sister in mild surprise. “You’ve not seen it?” Celestia shook her head. “Trust me, sister, you will know it when it happens.”

Fluttershy set her front hooves to the rack so she could get a better view of his face. “Fine… things will be okay, right?”

He couldn’t look down at her, but she still saw him smile in that charming way he only rarly used. “Trust me.”

“We’re trying to,” Princess Luna noted sourly.

His eyes went to her, a playful smile on his lips. “Oh, don’t be so ser…”

Abruptly his entire demeanor changed. His smile faded, and a strange, hungry expression came over his face. He stared up at the two princesses for several seconds, quietly studying them.

And then he jerked against his bonds with a force that made all three of them take a cautious step back.

His breathing coming in a slow, heavy rhythm, he strained against his bonds for several seconds. His eyes remained locked on the two princesses for a time, but then they shifted around, noting the bonds that had him pinned. His lips curled back into a sneer, he jerked about a few times as if to test his mobility. Once he seemed certain he wasn’t going to escape his eyes snapped back to the Princesses, hatred and eagerness combining in a freakish manner on his menacing face.

“Clever…” he whispered, his voice so low Fluttershy almost didn’t hear it. “Clever bitches.” He fought against the bonds yet again, face going red with the strain. He began to mutter something, but it was too quiet for her to hear.

Celestia leaned back, eyes wide as she listened. “Such language…”

Fluttershy couldn’t resist the question. “W…w-what is he saying…?”

The Princess shook her head, face alarmed and insulted at once. “You do not want to hear it. Just know he is describing in careful detail how he intends to murder us. It is most… graphic.” The answer made the pegasus shiver uncertainly.

Only Luna didn’t seem affected by his behavior. She remained sitting in place, glaring harshly at the Mane Archon but saying nothing. Fluttershy had to wonder how many times she’d witnessed something like this. Perhaps she’d even seen him kill.

Fine abruptly let out a short but fierce shout of frustration that made the pegasus jump in alarm. When he spoke again he was loud enough to be easily heard. “…kill you, I’m going to kill you both. You can’t keep me down like this forever. You’ll slip up, and when you do I’ll slit your throats, I swear it. You’re both gonna die and it’s gonna feel so good. I can just see the blood. Can you see the blood? It’s beautiful. Let me show you the blood, I wanna show you the blood.”

His voice was starting to grow louder with every word. “Come on, come on let me go so I can kill you. Let me go. Let me go. Let me go! Release me now so I can ram your damn horns up your cunts and rip your fucking wings off!”

The vulgar language had Fluttershy cowering on the floor, head under her hooves. “I-i-is he g-g-g-oing to be l-l-like this every t-t-t-time?”

Princess Luna shushed her kindly, rubbing her hoof between the pegasus’ wings comfortingly. “Look, he’s coming out of it.”

Despite her horror Fluttershy did as she was told and stood on trembling legs to watch. Fine was pressing against his bonds, but it looks more like he was stretching than trying to escape. His eyes rolled back and his mouth opened wide as a long gasp of relief escaped his throat. He began to blink rapidly, his entire body going slack and his breathing coming in short gasps as if he’d just run a marathon, small traces of sweat appearing on his brow.

Then he let out a miserable groan. “Oh goddess that hurts…” He glanced at the Princesses dully. “I guess that was a successful test run?”

“Indeed it was,” Luna answered solemnly.

Celestia glowered at him disapprovingly. “You are truly a monster, Fine Crime. The things you just said…”

“You don’t have to tell me,” he muttered, glancing away from her with a dark expression.

“This also proved something else,” Luna noted, catching everypony’s attention with her tone. “Fluttershy is most certainly immune.”

“I… I am…?”

“Indeed. I was paying close attention to his… descriptions. His bloodlust was only targeted at Celestia and myself.” The dark blue alicorn turned her eyes on Fluttershy thoughtfully. “He had no interest in harming you. I must wonder why.”

“I wonder,” Celestia noted, more to herself than the ponies in the room. “Perhaps it has something to do with her being in tune with the Elements of Harmony.”

“That’s not it,” Fine grumbled from the rack. “I had visions about the other Element Bearers in the past.”

“We may never know,” Luna admitted, stepping back. “Now that we are certain your bonds will hold, I suggest my sister and I return to Canterlot. Without us around the situation may prove easier for you.”

“I agree,” Celestia noted, though it was clear she was more interested in getting away from Fine. Fluttershy could tell the Princess wasn’t afraid of him. Her reaction was something more akin to disgust. “We will be checking in every now and again, but do not hesitate to call on us if you should feel the need, Fluttershy.”

Celestia made her way to the door, but Luna lingered. She stepped up to the rack and stared down at Fine, who met her gaze firmly. Fluttershy watched their silent exchange, wondering what they were thinking.

“Good luck,” she told him seriously. And with a last, grave glance towards Fluttershy, she followed her sister out.

Fluttershy couldn’t help feeling nervous. Here she was, in this barren dark room, alone with a stallion who had just attempted to kill the two most powerful ponies in the world. And she was supposed to… what? She walked timidly over to stand next to his head, observing him anxiously. His eyes caught hers, and he smiled. She couldn’t believe he could smile at a time like this.

“So… what now?” she asked hesitantly.

“Nothing,” he answered. “You don’t even have to stick around if you don’t want to. Just… check on me a few times a day. You know, to keep me alive and all.”

She eyed the rack he was on. He had so many straps and cuffs and ropes tied to him it was ridiculous. “This really seems a strange way to go about it, Fine.”

“Anything less and I could escape,” he reminded her. “If things go the way I expect, then in a couple weeks you won’t think it so extreme.” He glanced at her face and must have seen something he didn’t like. “Look, you don’t have to stay. I wouldn’t want to.”

She studied his unhappy face for a moment and realized that he really expected her to leave. Somehow that expression made her want to stick around, perhaps to prove to him and herself that she could handle it. She glanced around the darkly-illuminated room, wondering what it would be like to have to lie there alone for hours with nopony to talk to. Unable to alleviate the boredom, unable to so much as move. And he was willingly subjecting himself to that?

She sat, determine to go nowhere. At least not yet. “I’m not going anywhere.”

His eyes went to her, and he smiled. “…thanks.”

She returned the smile, and for a moment they remained that way. Quiet, anxious, not certain what to do. “Hey… do me a favor?” She blinked, nodded uncertainly. “Sing for me.”

She tilted her head questioningly. “Really?”

He nodded, or tried to as well as he could. “To pass the time.”

Author's Note:

New formatting style! Opinions, please.

So Fine's finally taking the plunge with Fluttershy. I've been eager to get to this point for some time. I actually wanted to get to it earlier for the sake of shortening this Series, but couldn't find a way to do it without making everything seem jumpy. And now I have to resolve everything involving it before the end of the Series... yeah, I doubt I can do that and keep it under ten Episodes. Oh well.

Character Detail: Octavia Melody
Species: Earth Pony
Coat: Gray
Mane: Dark Gray
Eyes: Mulberry
Age: 25
Cutie Mark: Pink Treble Clef
Special Talent: Singing

When I first started this story I knew I needed to have at least one popular background pony, and seeing as of how Octavia's by far my favorite background pony she was the obvious choice. But I didn't want to make an Octavia that pandered to common conceptions: I wanted her character be a bit more original, if at all possible. I immediately nixed any potential relationships to Vinyl Scratch, which has been done to death by now. The idea of her parents being harsh on her and forcing her to learn the cello was also thrown out as too common. I also heard some speculations on the interwebs about Octavia being somehow related to Pinkie, so I kept away from that on principal.

With these few rules, I tried to make Octavia my own. She comes from a large, (mostly) loving middle-class family and has an Indian (Nildian) heritage. Why Indian? Why not? She's not elite but works to get there, and her image and reputation are extremely important to her. I wanted her to be a very capable pony: intelligent, resourceful, confident, amiable, honorable, hard-working. In a word: awesome. But because of her nature as a background pony these traits go largely unnoticed.

One of the unusual things I added to Octavia's personality was a complete disinterest in relationships or, to put it simply, a low libido. While this doesn't completely nix the idea of her getting involved in a romantic relationship, it does make it unlikely that one will form in this story. If there's any chance at all of a romantic relationship happening for her, it would be with Jimmy Stone, but that's iffy too as he has potential to be with Rarity. Decisions, decisions. Perhaps when the story is completed I can make a shipping fic about this potential triangle?