• Published 9th Jun 2013
  • 2,998 Views, 109 Comments

Princess Luna is Dead - Horsegirl123



Celestia's greatest coverup and why Twilight was actually made an alicorn.

  • ...
13
 109
 2,998

Chapter 2

I knew I should have tried to rub more of the sleep out of my eyes the moment I saw my reflection in the silverware; not only was my mane a fraction of its beauty from yesterday, but my entire face suggested that I had just drank 40 bottles of champagne the night before, when in reality I only had twelve. But in my defense I was under Pinkie's control the minute I stepped into the after party of the coronation. Honestly I think she has been slipping me something because my schedule need would have allowed something like this to happen.

Celestia and Luna had not yet arrived yet, so I was left with a flute of orange juice, a napkin folded like a swan, and twenty eyes scanning the room to make sure no assassins broke in. I ruffled my wings slightly, trying yet again to find a comfortable resting place for my new appendages, until I finally gave up and allowed them to unfold and hang by my sides.

The ceiling of the dining hall brought in so much light that there was no need for gems; the room stretched into a large glass dome that curved downward into cream colored walls, with large white columns supporting the structure every twenty feet. The table could easily fit 100 ponies and their guests, but when royalty dined they sat all at one end. There were three plates set up, one of which I occupied to the right of the head of the table.

A strong feeling in the back of my mind told me something was not right, but I couldn't lay a hoof on it, even if my life depended on it. I scanned the white linen, stared into the reflection of my china, but my thoughts were interrupted by the swinging of the mahogany doors at the end of the room. Through the doors strode in Celestia and Luna, regal as ever, with their faces peaceful and a slight smile on both. Luna's bangs were clipped to perfection, and her tail flowed shorter than Celestia's on her request. She had once told me it was so that it would not get caught in artillery while she was in the trenches with her troops. I think she just couldn't grow it out; of course I would never say something like that to her.

I stood when they reached my end of the table, but Celestia's hoof rested on my chin before I could bow, and she shook her head slowly.

"Sorry Princess, force of habit," I apologized. Both princesses laughed softly.

Luna walked up to me and embraced me. "Twilight Sparkle, how good it is to have you as family!" She prodded at my wings with a dark blue hoof. "How are you adjusting?"

I spread out my wings a little so we could both get a closer view. "I'll say preening is not as easy as I thought it would be, but otherwise they're ok."

"You'll get used to it in no time," she assured me before making her way to the other side of the table and sitting.

Celestia and myself followed suit, and for a minute I had forgotten about my pounding headache. Oh wait, there it was. I winced slightly, catching my breath between my teeth to not draw the Princesses' attention away from their breakfast.

"Why don't you take a drink, Twilight?" asked Celestia. I looked at the orange liquid, and back at her. I quietly levitated the glass to my lips, taking small sips at first, and then larger gulps. In a matter of seconds I had downed the glass, letting out a sigh of relief, not noticing how thirsty I had been.

"Feeling better?" she asked. I looked at her quizzically.

"What do you mea-" and then I realized my headache had completely evaporated, my vision was clear, and I felt energized and awake. "How did you...?"

She smiled warmly. "You don't attend thousands of banquets without learning how to deal with too much wine."

Before I could respond, two metal doors against the center wall bursted open, and a flood of waiters levitating our meal trotted forth. Pastries and breads and cereals were laid across the table; the display was so immaculate that it made me hesitant to even think of grabbing a piece. In front of me were placed to fresh baked loaves of bread, accompanied by salted butter and raspberry jam. The smell of the warmed dough wafted through my nostrils, bringing me a feeling of complete and total bliss; I wanted so badly to just smear the butter and jam all over a piece and dig in, but I stopped myself after noticing that Celestia and Luna had not yet moved, save for placing their napkins across their chest. Seeing this, I did the same, and straightened my back as the waiters continued to pour in with endless amounts of breakfast cuisines.

As each waiter dropped his or her plate on the table, they would bow to Luna, then Celestia, and finish with me. Luna and Celestia would nod at each, giving a warm smile to everyone; I, on the other hand, was much more awkward. With each bow and praise, I would sheepishly smile and wave my hoof, before finally getting tired and resorting to the head nod like they did.

When the metal doors finally swung shut, I watched for the Princesses to make their first move. Their horns lit up and they began picking off each plate, creating a wonderful potluck of fine foods on their plates.

After a few minutes of silent eating, I cleared my throat. "So Luna," she looked up, as did Celestia. For a second, it almost seemed as if Celestia looked worried. "Rainbow wanted to know if a bear and a shark had a fight, which one would win." After the words came from my mouth, I felt as if I should never have been made an alicorn at all. Did I seriously just ask the ruler of Equestria which animal would win in a fight? I bit my lip and prayed for a magical being to take me back in time and kill myself for such a stupid question. However, Princess Luna only chuckled.

"I suppose a bear, mainly because he could fight in water and on land for the most part."

Celestia chuckled as well, but I sank in my seat. Trying to look at anything but the Princesses, my eyes focused on the empty spot next to Luna. It seemed so familiar, as if something used to fit, but at the same time I had no recollection. Something in the back of my head shifted, a memory maybe. I looked at Luna, and yet again something was off.

Luna met my gaze, and for a moment zoned out; her pupils widened and her jaw dropped open ever so slightly, and she quietly mouthed 'Help.'

Before Celestia could even look up from her plate Luna had snapped back into reality, and began a conversation with her sister about Blueblood's latest tantrum, a story hey both seemed to thoroughly enjoy. I heard snippets, but my eyes stayed locked on the empty space, and the vision of her mouthing 'Help' playing across my mind a thousand times.