• Published 31st May 2013
  • 2,742 Views, 8 Comments

MLP: ODST - Hazardous Venture - JO3



Some Forerunner tech started acting up as the UNSC battleship Victory made the jump back to Earth, now they are above a strange new world.

  • ...
8
 8
 2,742

Chapter 2: Discovery

“Squad, listen up,” Joe said, “set up a perimeter for the engineers. Rookie, you'll head North with me to scout out ahead. Keep your ears on, all of you. Perimeter channel is 3, Scout channel is 5, emergency channel is 7. Pass-phrases are as follows: Thunder – challenge, Welcome – counter, Blitzkrieg – divert all assets to assist, Now Hear This – new objective. Challenge twice, then fire a warning shot, then shoot to maim, once a positive ID is made. Only call Blitzkrieg if the base is in threat of being overrun. Understood?” Joe barked.

“Yes, sir!” all of the ODSTs responded.

“There may be civilians in this area, divert them away from this base until we can safely process them through,” Joe added.

“Understood, sir,” Moose responded.

Joe and the Rookie started walking to the North, in the hopes of encountering somepony around hear. Joe switched to channel 7, “mic check, break. Switch to channel 3 next, over.” All green lights lit up on Joe's HMD comm monitor. “Mic check, break. Switch to channel 5 next, over.” The Rookies light failed to illuminate. “Bad mic: Rookie. Switch to appropriate channels, out,” Joe said.

The Scouts (Joe and the Rookie) reached the edge of the forest after 12min. Ponyville was in view.

“You head to Fluttershy's cottage, then try to find Pinkie Pie. I'll be at Twilight's library, then the Apple Farm,” ordered Joe, “Fire a green flare if help is needed, red is reserved for emergencies only.”

“Yes, sir,” the Rookie responded and departed.

Joe switched to channel 3, “Perimeter, green flares may be deployed, ignore those. They are intended for myself. If it is red, then something very bad is about to happen. All active forces should respond to those flares, out.”

Joe continued his walk through the deserted streets of Ponyville, “I guess Pinkie Pie is throwing a party. I hope Twilight is still stuck in her studies.” Joe came up to Twilight's home, he slung his rifle over his shoulder, and knocked thrice on the door. No response. He knocked again. No answer. Joe opened the door and glanced around, making sure not to step inside, out of respect. He called out, “Hello, anypony in here?” Joe heard the turn of a page, to put into perspective the quietness in Ponyville. “Twilight?” he asked. Still no answer. “Twilight Sparkle!” Joe yelled, hearing a brief shriek as Twilight jumped.

“Oh, sorry. Didn't notice you there,” she said from around the corner.

“May I come in, my friends and I are a little lost,” Joe inquired.

“Sure, I'll be there in a minute,” she responded. Joe walked in and found a seat. He laid his rifle across his lap, doing some basic weapon checks to pass the time. Twilight returned, with a book still infront of her face. “Heck of a page-turner, eh?” Joe asked.

“Why yes!” she replied, “I'm studying for a test on foreign organisms.”

“Well, I think we can help each other then. Why don't you put down the book so we talk without distractions?” Joe asked, standing up. Twilight set down the book, but her cheery expression turned to one of shock when she saw the 6'7”, black-armor clad, bipedal, soldier standing infront of her. “I am Sergeant Joe, of the United Nation Space Command, 105th Orbital Drop Shock Trooper regiment. We are far from any world the UN has visited before, and we have no way to return home. I would like to know if our stay is welcome,” Joe said, depolarizing his visor, so Twilight could see his face.

“I haven't read about anything outside of Equestria. Oh, where are my manners, I'm Twilight Sparkle, though I believe you already knew that. What are you?” she said.

“I am a human, a species originating from a planet called Earth, though I have no way of returning home,” Joe responded. Twilight ran to her bookshelves, trying to maintain a conversation as she looked for a book on Humans. “How did you know my name?” she asked. Joe hastily looked around the room, and noticed some letters signed “Twilight Sparkle.” Joe responds, “I saw those unfinished letters down there, and I assumed they were yours. If you want, I can give you a book that summarizes human history if you'd like.”

“Thanks, that would be great,” Twilight said enthusiastically.

“Just remember, human history is filled with bloodshed, I would only recommend reading until you reach the chapter about wars,” Joe forewarned.

“Understood, but why until then?” Twilight asked.

“Because we just fought a war against an alien alliance that almost caused us to go extinct, and I want the future of humanity to be focused on rebuilding and making peace. I'm tired of such bloodshed. We were on our way to deliver some historic relics to a museum when we ended up hear. Now, what can you tell me about yourself?” Joe responded.

“Well, I'm friends with: Applejack; the farmer, Rarity; the dress designer, Rainbow Dash; the showoff, Fluttershy; the animal whisperer, Pinkie Pie; the baker / party thrower; and I, myself, am hear to study the effects and benefits of the magic of friendship,” Twilight said, “You should talk to my friends if you want to learn more.”

“Thanks, I have a squad setting up a Forward Operating Base in the forest to the South, and I have the other Scout, myself being one of the two, headed towards the cottage, and town plaza. I'm supposed to rendezvous with him at the farm, or the plaza. Can you give me a tour, some research materials, or even a census of this town and its people?” Joe said.

“Sure. The tower in the plaza is currently being used as city hall, nearby is Sugar Cube Corner, the bakery of various pastries in this town. Near the southern edge of town is Fluttershy's cottage, and Rainbow Dash's home is in the sky, but is commonly in the North. The rather ornate house is where Rarity resides, and Sweet Apple Acres is the farm that Applejack lives at. I would talk to Princess Celestia in Canterlot's castle if you have further questions,” Twilight informed (to the best of this author's memory).

“Thank you. I would like to talk to Celestia first, she should be able to understand my predicament. Most government officials tend to be kind to foreigners,” Joe said. Twilight led Joe to the train station, and decided to accompany him on the journey. “How long is a typical train ride to Canterlot?” Joe asked, yawning. A lot has happened in his 18 hour shift.

“Long enough to get some shut-eye, I'll wake you when we get there,” Twilight said.

“Thanks,” Joe says as he practically passes out.