• Published 27th May 2013
  • 2,217 Views, 153 Comments

Of giants. Of ponies. - Steel Heart



A warrior was brought from his ravaged home to Equestria to protect it. Can he?

  • ...
7
 153
 2,217

Awkward introductions

"What the FUCK?!"

As needless as it is to say, Jake was pissed. He had just finished fixing the problem for his right arm blade, after finding out it was an adjustment issue, and had proceeded to make sure it was in working order. Only to get blasted in the chest with god only know what, and have all 18 tonnes of myomer, weapons, armor and surprised pilot, go flying into the apple orchid, smash through several trees and land in a heap several meters away. No, Jake wasn't pissed. He was so furious to the point he was starting to see red. So as he got up, he grabbed hold of the nearest tree next to him, and ripped it from the earth before moving back to the farm yard. And when he got there, he saw a lavender winged unicorn standing in the courtyard with its horn aglow, with wings flayed in a rather pathetic excuse of intimidation. So Jake grabbed each end of the tree in his suits gigantic hands, gripped tightly, and pulled them apart in a shower of splinters before he crushed the remaining halves in the mechanical appendages, now thats how you're supposed to intimidate.

Then as he was still approaching the lavender death beam firing target in his HUD, he pulled out his Dire Wolf autocannon. A six barreled gatling that fired depleted uranium rounds via gauss at over 5000 rounds a minute, in fact that's half the reason as to how his swords contained the supper dense alloy. He simply built up a small stockpile from the bullets that were once lodged in his suits armor. Rather ironic when you think about it, considering that they were once meant to kill him, now they kill FOR him. Jake went ahead and spun the 30mm monster up to firing speed with a dull whirr. "Try it again, I fucking dare you..." Jake said as he thrust the weapon into the ponys face, then it's horn began to glow. And with a flash of light, his mighty Goliath simply and embarisingly, shut down. No sluggishness, no flickering HUD or tingle in his spine. It just simply shut down. Then Jake felt his whole being shift in weight. Forwards. His Goliath fell face first in the dirt, blocking his only means of escape. Thats if he didn't have a means of reserve power, "Computer, reroute power to the limbs".

"Rerouting". Jake sighed in relief as he hadn't completely lost power. All the "heavy" and "assault" class suits thankfully had an independent power source for the life support, the light and mediums didn't have the luxury of recycled air. They only had the old fashioned particle and radiation filters installed as to try and save weight. Not only that, but they weren't ever really used for long range missions like you'd expect, they were only ever used for security and patrols, but they were sometimes used for long range missions and recon, but very rarely. They just never had the range. The heavy and assault were predominantly used for that, the logic being that because they have heavier weapons and armor and carry a larger payload, they would use THOSE for all the long range stuff because they wouldn't need to be rearmed as often. Like shit it did.

Jake rolled the Goliath onto its back and breathed a sigh of relief. Rerouting the sad excuse for power the secondary cell had to anything else than life support, was extremely risky. Just waving an arm and moving a foot was more than enough to drain the cell of anything it had. "Computer, open"... Nothing. "Open"... "Oh come on!". Jake wrestled his legs from their compartment, and kicked the hatch making a loud 'CLONG'. But his effort proved fruitful, as a small stream of light came in from a finely milled crack in the armor plating, "Bingo". Jake got his arms free from the control yokes, and despite how painful it was to do it with out the proper procedure, pulled away from the spinal column and the centimeter long needle in the base of his neck, and forced the hatch open.


Twilight stood there in shock, What have I just done?! It was clearly sapient, not to mention more technologically advanced than ponies. When the behemoth gave her its latest ultimatum, she had used her aura sense to find what was powering the giant. As it turns out, a small but extremely powerful reactor of sorts, and had used her magic to break the reaction, the result of which had caused the giant to seize up and crumple to the ground like a puppet with its strings cut. A few moments after, the being had rolled itself onto is back, and not long after that a loud 'CLONG' came from the beast. After several minutes, a large hatch of sorts opened up to reveal a pale, hairless ape climbing out of the giant.

"See, Twilight. Ah told ya it was a hoo-man," Applejack said with just a bit of pride.

Meanwhile, the human had jumped from its mount and had stalked over to the Alicorn, "What in the flying fuck was that for?! First you zap me into this fucking fairy tale you call a dimension asking me to protect it and your fucking people, repair most of the damage on the way trough, then try and fucking KILL ME?! And to top it all off, now I can't protect this place, because my suit IS NOW AN INOPERABLE PIECE OF STEEL AND LEAD!!!... HOW THE FUCK CAN I DO ANYTHING NOW!!!".

Twilight cowered at the humans harsh words. Ordinarily, she would have been beyond fascinated about this particular human, because to her they were just dumb, though socially advanced, pack animals. This on the other hoof, was the most frightening thing she had come across.

"Jus' what in the hay are y'all on 'bout Jake?" Applejack joined. "What do ya mean she zapped y'all here from another dimension?"

At this question, Jake took several deep breaths to calm down. "Ok, I apologize for blowing up like that, but why did you do that... zappy thing to me? All I was trying to do was rectify a problem with one of my swords."

"Hey don't y'all goin' and changin' the subject," Applejack stated.

"Alright, just before I met you AJ, I was visiting my old home. When I got there, I was confronted by one like you," he said as he gestured to Twilight, "Who then asked if I was willing to protect her world. I accepted. And here I am now, asking why in the hell purple here tried taking me out."

"One like me? What color was her coat?" Twilight asked from her still cowering position on the ground.

"It's kinda hard to tell from the HUD, but I would have to say... a dark blue? Cobalt? I don't know. Like I said, it's kinda hard to tell through my HUD."

"Princess Luna? She brought you here? Why would she do that?" Twilight asked again, with a hint of shock on her face.

"So that her name eh? Well like I told you, she approached me and asked if I was willing to protect... Equestria?" he asked to Applejack, who just nodded. "Then she opened a portal, and here I am," he finalized. "Now. Can you answer my question? Why the hell did you try to kill me?"

"Oh... I thought you were going to kill Applebloom," Twilight said with a shy smile.

"Good, that's all I wanted to know. Now, can you please undo what you did my suit, and do you know where I can find a... what was her name again AJ?"

Applejack for her part, just gave an embarrassed grin, "Jake, let me introduce to y'all princess Twilight Sparkle. That friend of mine Big Mac told yer about."

Jake just stood there. Then after a few moments, he lifted his head and looked around awkwardly. "Excuse me for a sec," he said before he turned on his heel 180 degrees so his back was facing the pair. Then he put his hands to his face, and whimpered a little bit while pitching his torso forwards like a bow of shame. "God.. damn it". After a few more moments, he straightened out his body and turned back to the two confused mares. "My apologies once again, princess. What I was going to ask was who I should see about seeking asylum," his face almost redder than Big Mac's coat with embarrassment.

Author's Note:

I know it might not seem like much, but you did ask.