• Published 23rd May 2013
  • 1,389 Views, 28 Comments

Fallout Equestria: Once Upon a Time in the Waste - S-Clark



Over 200 years ago the great war doomed Equestria and poisoned the world. Yet what of the lands beyond Equestria’s borders? This is a story of the great scrubland to the West, and the ponies and creatures who struggle to survive.

  • ...
2
 28
 1,389

Prologue

I am…… well, you’ll find that out eventually. The important part is not when, but where my story began. Someponies’ stories start in a sheltered place, with the humdrum and mundane; until their life is changed to the eye opening, frantic battle for survival. Others are not so lucky.

***

Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria...

Although I am certain you already know how that goes. About how “love” and “tolerance” were transformed into greed and selfishness, and those new ideals led to a decades long war. To be more precise, you already know how that bloody conflict reached its peak, when even the pawns carried as much power as the Queens; and you are doubtlessly aware that that was when the whole table itself was brutally upended.

In short, you already know about the end of the world. More importantly, you know what came after: The Wasteland.

What you might not understand is why Equestria was so afflicted.

For while the bombs desiccated everything they touched, in some places they made it flourish. Ponies had forgotten that the land itself was as alive and soul-filled as themselves. They chained the earth beneath their hooves, harvested her, and warped and twisted the corpse to suit their needs. In this way did the land became hateful of the life upon it; so when spellfire reigned it welcomed the poison, using it to become a place of living nightmares. In this way did the land of Equestria become the terrible Wasteland…

…Yet not all the lands had been completely subjugated. There were places outside Equestria’s borders already so harsh that they were almost unlivable. Almost. It was in places like these, where the land held no hatred for the life upon it, that it adapted to the terrible toxins. One such place was the great scrubland desert that lay to the west of Equestria. Here the poisons became so much a part of everyday life, that no one noticed when something vital was touched inside the land.

This is the story of what happened when the corruption took hold in the territory beyond the pony kingdom.

Fallout Equestria:

Once Upon a Time in the Waste