• Published 11th Mar 2012
  • 1,273 Views, 10 Comments

A Lonely Life - duvagr007



A new pony comes into Ponyville with a tragic past. It's up to the Mane 6 to make him feel welcome.

  • ...
3
 10
 1,273

Chapter Three: A Warm Reception

Chapter Three

As Inkwell awoke the next morning, he was a bit confused at his surroundings. Then the events of yesterday came back to him in a flash. The job at the library, moving in with Rarity, the party that he had today. 'The party, heh, not even sure if I'm going to that.' He thought to himself. He supposed it wouldn't hurt, unless that overly-energetic pink mare decided to tackle him again. He allowed himself a light chuckle before climbing out of bed. He turned and made up the covers (he may have lived in a box the past months, but he still had manners) then proceeded to put on his hat. He walked downstairs and smelled something burning. He quickened his pace due to fear of a fire, and when he rounded the corner into the kitchen saw the little white foal standing by the stove with smoke in the air.

"Need a little help?" He asked, startling her a little.

"Nope' I've got everything under control." Inkwell raised an eyebrow at this, and openly looked around at the smoke in the air.

"If you say so." She looked around a little nervously, then sighed.

"Fine, Mr. Inkwell could you please help me?"

"Sure thing Sweetie Bell." He gave a small chuckle. He began to clean up the mess she had made, and began to cook another breakfast. Since Sweetie insisted on helping, he had her get the things he needed as he needed them, and showed her how to cook a few of the simpler things. When they were just about done, Rarity walked in and gave Inkwell a small frown.

"Darling, why on earth are you down here cooking breakfast for us?" He turned and began to explain what had happened.

"Well, I woke up early and smelled burning coming from down here. When I got down, I saw Sweetie trying to cook breakfast to no avail, so I stepped in and started to help. I hope you don't mind." She laughed a little and sat down at the table.

"Like I said last night, Sweetie isn't exactly the best cook. I trust you are more capable?" He nodded and began to finish up the last of the cooking while Sweetie Bell took a seat at the table next to her sister. After finishing, he brought the food over to the table and they began to eat. It wasn't a very fancy breakfast, but it was sufficient. After finishing breakfast, Sweetie went to play with her friends, who Inkwell learned called themselves 'The Cutie Mark Crusaders', and Rarity got to work on his saddlebags. He couldn't even begin to count how many measurements she took of him.

"Inkwell,"

"Hm?"

"If you don't mind, I need you to do something for me while I work on this."

"Sure Rarity, what is it?"

"Could you be a dear and head down to Sweet Apple Acres and ask Applejack for my usual purchase, she'll know what you mean."

"Of course... um, where exactly is Sweet Apple Acres?"

"Oh just head out of Ponyville to the west, you can't miss it."

"Sure thing, see you when I get back." He turned and headed in the direction Rarity had mentioned. After about a half hour of searching, he finally found the apple farm. He walked up and was greeted by a large red stallion.

"Mornin' stranger, names Big Macintosh. What can I do ya for?"

"Good morning, my name is Inkwell. Rarity sent me for her 'usual'." The stallion looked at him a little confused.

"Uh, maybe ya should talk ta AJ 'bout that. She's down at the market, if ya want ta find her."

"Okay," he sighed, he wasn't really used to walking around this much. "Thanks for your help Big Macintosh."

"Eeyup." Inkwell turned and left the farm, heading back in the direction of Ponyville.

He didn't want to keep Rarity waiting too long, so he started to gallop to make up for lost time. Apparently, this wasn't such a good idea because not to long after he started galloping, he tripped over a rock and landed face first on the ground. He sat there dazed for a moment before rapidly shaking his head to clear his thoughts, and headed back out for Ponyville. This time at a much slower pace. He could feel a slight sting on the top of his head, but decided to ignore it, figuring it was just a small scrape.

After making it back to town, he began looking around for the market area. After roughly five minutes of searching, he finally came across the market and had located the apple farmer's stall. As he approached, he noticed a look of concern fall across Applejack's face.

"You alright there sugarcube, that cut looks a might painful."

"Oh you mean this little-" he stopped short when he brought his hoof up to the 'scrape' on his head and it felt far more wet than it should. He shakily brought his hoof up in front of his face and saw that it was covered in blood. He was suddenly aware of felling lightheaded, and he began to swoon back and forth.

"Rarity... usual... cut... blood...heh." After that he fainted and hit the ground with Applejack rushing over to drag him to the hospital.

______

Twilight was awoken from a wonderful dream about being a famous writer by Spike's prodding claw.

"Huh... what is it Spike?" She asked rather sleepily.

"While you were sleeping in till noon, I got a letter from the princess about that Inkwell guy that was here yesterday." At the mention of a letter, Twilight shot up immediately and snatched the letter away from the dragon's claws and unfurled it with her magic.

My dearest student Twilight,

It matters not to me who you hire to assist you at the library. I gave it to you to manage how you see fit, this includes any employees that you wish to have. If you wish to hire Inkwell, then do so knowing you need no approval from me. And if it is fine with you and Inkwell, I would very much like to meet him he sounds rather interesting from the way Spike described him. Send me another letter about a convenient time for him to meet me, and please, no need to rush. Remember what happened last time you thought you were going to be tardy?

Princess Celestia

Twilight breathed a sigh of relief that she wouldn't have to turn down Inkwell's job application. She then noticed Spike who was tapping his his foot wearing an expression that clearly said 'Well, what did it say?'

"The Princess has approved of my hiring of Inkwell," she responded to his unasked question. She then set out to where Inkwell had said where his box was to bring him the good news. When she got there however, she noticed that his box was empty, and that he was nowhere to be seen. She decided to ask Rarity if she had seen him go anywhere, figuring she at least knew he was living near her shop. She approached the Boutique door and knocked. Rarity's famous sing-song voice could be heard from within.

"Coming!" After a few moments, her friend appeared at the door. "Oh why hello Twilight! Come in and tell me what you need!"

"Actually Rarity, I just had a question to ask you and then I need to go."

"Okay then, what is it?"

"Have you seen a stallion by the name of Inkwell around here somewhere? He has a black coat and a white mane, somewhat thin?"

"Oh Inkwell? Why yes, he's staying with me until he can find a house, I sent him down to Sweet Apple Acres to run an errand for me."

"Oh well then I should- wait WHAT?! He's staying with you? When did this happen?"

"Last night, I found him on my way back from shopping last night. He was being assaulted by Pinkie when I learned he was homeless and invited him to stay with me."

"Wait, he accepted to stay at your house but not mine? Whatever, I'll ask him about it when I find him, you said you sent him to Sweet Apple Acres?"

"Yes, I sent him to pick up some apples for me."

"Thank you Rarity, I'll see you later."

"Goodbye Twilight, have a good afternoon"

Twilight galloped off toward the Apple family farm, but she stopped when she came across the market and saw Applejack dragging an unconscious black stallion toward the direction of the hospital. She began to trot over to lend a hoof, but stopped short when she saw exactly who AJ was dragging. She broke into a gallop and asked Applejack what happened.

"Well, he came over to mah cart with a big ol' cut on his head. When Ah asked him if he was doin' alright, he seemed to just have noticed that there cut on his head an' mumbled somthin' about Rarity. After that he just up and fainted."

"Well we should probably get him to the hospital. Here, let me help." Twilight picked up Inkwell's limp body with her magic, and began to trot toward the hospital. Luckily it wasn't to far to the clinic and they were able to quickly get Inkwell into a room. Twilight really hoped that he would be fine.





Author's Note: Okay so if the back half of the chapter (everything after Big Mac) is kinda bad, it's more than likely because I'm working on this at midnight. I hope anyone who actually reads this enjoys it. I'll do my best to keep regular updates flowing, but I can't make any promises.