• Published 11th Mar 2012
  • 1,274 Views, 10 Comments

A Lonely Life - duvagr007



A new pony comes into Ponyville with a tragic past. It's up to the Mane 6 to make him feel welcome.

  • ...
3
 10
 1,274

Chapter Two: A Rare Occurence

Chapter 2

As Inkwell walked home he couldn't help but think of how kind the library mare had been. Nopony had ever shown him that amount of kindness, all the ponies he had met before were either uncaring, or in worse cases, genuinely cruel to him. He began to approach Carousel Boutique and his... box. As he neared the shop however, he caught a pink blur out of the corner of his eye. He had just enough time to turn to face it before being assaulted by a pink mare with wide eyes and a larger than life smile on her face.

"HI I'M PINKIE PIE AND I SAW YOU WALKING AND DIDN'T KNOW WHO YOU WERE WHICH MEANS THAT YOU'RE NEW BECAUSE I KNOW EVERYPONY AND I MEAN EVERYPONY IN PONYVILLE AND IF YOU'RE NEW THAT MEANS YOU HAVEN'T GOT ANY FRIENDS WHICH MEANS YOU MUST BE LONELY AND THAT MADE ME soo sad AND THEN I GOT AN IDEA!!!! I'LL THROW YOU A PARTY AND INVITE EVERYONE SO YOU CAN MAKE SOME NEW FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!"

Inkwell was laying on the ground underneath the mare mouth gaping. Partly because she had managed to say all of that in one breath, and partly because she was going to throw him a..."Wait, why are you going to throw me a party?"

"Oh silly billy, who doesn't love a good party?"

"I guess, but I still don't see why you would throw me a-"

He was interrupted by a beautiful mare walking up in the direction of the Boutique. "Pinkie dear, how nice to see you! Who's your new, um, friend?"

"His name is... what is your name?"

"Inkwell, could you please get-"

"Nice to meet you Inkwell I'm Pinkie Pie!"

"You already said that, now could you please get off?"

"Okie dokie lokie!" She jumped off allowing Inkwell to stand, and breathe, once again.

"Oh, well it's a pleasure to meet you Mr. Inkwell," said Rarity, speaking up again. "But why are you walking out here all by yourself this late at night? And when did you move into town?"

"Nice to meet you too Miss..."

"Rarity"

"Miss Rarity, and I just moved into town yesterday night and was on my way home when I was tackled by Pinkie. And I should be asking you why you are walking out here by yourself."

"Oh... well I needed to go pick up a few things to finish a dress that I'm making."

"You make dresses? Does that mean you work at the Boutique?"

"Darling I own the Boutique."

"Oh well that-"

"Hey Rarity! Wanna go to a party tomorrow!?!?" The pink mare interrupted him once again with her very loud voice.

"Oh of course Pinkie! I always love your parties, I will most certainly be there!"

"Okie dokie lokie! I'm going invite everypony else!" The pink mare hopped away leaving just Inkwell and Rarity to talk.

"So Mr. Inkwell, where are you staying while here in Ponyville?"

"Um... well, I'm staying in a... box... not to far from your Boutique."

"WHAT?! A-a-a-a BOX?! That is simply disgust- oh... um... sorry." After noticing that she was overreacting again she quickly regained her composure. Inkwell simply cocked an eyebrow at her outburst."Why on earth are you living in a... box? Haven't you got any money?"

"Well, no, not really. That's why I was out this late, I was at the library looking for a job."

"The library, that means you've met Twilight! I hope she didn't lecture you or anything dear, she can do that without realizing it."

"Oh no, not at all, she was actually quite nice about the whole thing, told me my chances were looking good but she had to ask the Princess first."

"Good, I'm glad she din't give you a hard time. Now about your situation, you simply must let me help you by allowing you to stay in my home, or at least take a few bits for you to buy a home with." Yet another mare was offering him help, but this one seemed much more willing, while Twilight had seemed a little more cautious about it. He just might take up this mares offer, seeing as he wasn't going to be working for her, and he felt that he knew her better as well. He knew he still didn't know a lot about her, but something about her expression was pleading, as if she wanted him to come stay with her for the time being.

"Um, well..."

"Please"

"I don't know..."

Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease pleease!"

"Okay, fine, but let me get my stuff first, I'll be over in a bit."

"Oh thank you, I couldn't possibly in good conscious let you stay out in the cold all night long."

"Well, thanks for letting me stay until I can get my own house." Inkwell turned and headed in the direction of his box, he didn't have much, but what he did have was certainly worth keeping. He reached his box and began to collect his belongings, a few bits, a copy of his book, his favorite quill that was a gift from his parents, and a picture of said parents. All of these things held great value to him, except the bits, and he would never leave any of them anywhere. He turned around and headed in the direction of the Boutique, which was just in sight because of how close he was to it. He thought to himself what he would do if the Princess denied his request to work at the library. He could take up baking, he didn't have a cutie mark for it, but he wasn't to shabby. He pushed this thought from his mind as he reached the door of the Boutique and knocked.

"Coming!" A few moments later Rarity opened the door and greeted him with a smile, and then a frown when she realized how little he had. "Darling, is that all you own?" He nodded and she seemed to have a look of pure sympathy on her face. "Do you even have saddlebags to carry it all in?" He shook his head in response. "Well then, we'll just have to take care of that now won't we?"

"What?" He was confused by what she meant, was she going to buy him a cheap pair or something?

"I'll just make you a pair! Tomorrow though, I'm quite busy right now, and of course they'll be free of charge! It's the least I can do, what with the financial situation you're in." Inkwell was truly stunned, this was the most generous mare he had met in his entire life. He never thought anypony could be so nice. First she let him stay in her home, which Twilight was willing to do to, but Rarity was also going to make him a pair of saddlebags for free.

"I-I don't know what to say, other than 'thank you'."

"Oh It's no trouble, come in and make yourself at home, I have a spare bedroom upstairs. It's the last door on the left, the bathroom is across the hall... speaking of which, go ahead and wash up, I'll finish with this dress and put some dinner on." She turned and faced the stairs and called up, "Sweetie Bell! Come and meet our guest! And make sure that you're washed up for dinner!"

"Um... who is Sweetie Bell, an employee of yours?"

"Oh heavens no, she is my little sister. She usually stays with me unless I'm extremely busy."

"Oh, well um... I'll just go set up my room and everything then." He turned and headed for the stairs at a nod from Rarity. Halfway up he passed a small white filly with a purple and pink mane, she smiled and gave a slight wave at him as he passed. He smiled in return and continued on, he came to the room Rarity had mentioned, and when he opened the door felt like he was walking into a five star hotel.There was a large window along one wall that overlooked the empty area behind the boutique, a very nice bed on the right wall, and a dresser and mirror on the left. The scene the window portrayed was very boring, but peaceful and serene all the same. He set his things down on the dresser and proceeded to the bathroom to wash his hooves and mane, which was becoming very unkempt. When he walked into the bathroom, he got the same five star experience, it had a white marble counter top with a silver, diamond encrusted faucet. He thought the diamonds were a little overkill but didn't complain, seeing as the faucet worked. He washed his mane, dried it, then headed back downstairs to where he could smell a fresh cooked meal. He reached the kitchen to find Rarity standing at the stove turning it off, and Sweetie Bell setting up the table.

"Hi Mr.!" Sweetie Bell took a moment to pause and greet him, causing Rarity to turn.

"Why hello Inkwell, I see you've washed up, and not a moment to soon! I've just finished cooking!"

"I- wow, it smells great." He said as the full blast of the food hit him. He took a seat at the table and awaited a plate.

"Well, I'm no master chef, but I can certainly cook a good meal, Sweetie Bell on the other hoof... well, let's just say she can burn juice."

"HEY!" Sweetie bell screamed in protest. "I thought we weren't going to talk about that! And it wasn't THAT bad."

"Sweetie Bell, you and I both know that it was indeed 'that bad'."

"I don't need to tell him about To-" she was cut short by Rarity's hoof in her mouth.

"Don't. Ever. Speak. Of that. Again. Got it?"

"Umm hmm." she gave a few swift nods a Rarity backed away, levitating dinner over to the table. They began eating, and after a few moments, Rarity asked a question he had hoped she wouldn't.

"So Inkwell, how exactly did you get in such a mess anyway?" He cringed a little at this, was he going to have to share his life story with everypony he met? He prepared himself for her reaction, which was bound to be exaggerated from what he knew so far about her, and then continued.

"Well, I paid off my college loans a little to fast with the money I made off of my book, and I didn't have enough to live in Canterlot, so I had to move here."

"Book? So you're an author?"

"I guess you could say that."

"Well then you're bound to be hired by Twilight, she really enjoys reading."

"I figured that out when she freaked out after realizing who I was." They all shared a laugh, even Sweetie Bell gave a little chuckle at what he said, he was really beginning to warm up to Rarity. She was the first friend he had in years. After his book published, people thought he was weird and shunned him. This mare had accepted him into her home, and was feeding him like he was part of her family. Then he realized that she had probably never read his book, but he didn't care. Rarity was still just as kind and generous, no matter what the circumstance.

"Well that was an amazing meal. Thank you Rarity, now if you'll excuse me, I'm very tired."

"Oh of course darling, you go ahead and get some rest, I'll see you in the morning."

He nodded his thanks and went to his room, he could tell he would like it here. As he climbed into bed he let out a sigh of relief. He laid his head down and fell into a deep sleep.