• Published 19th May 2013
  • 1,576 Views, 78 Comments

The 7th Element - Tracer0311



When faced with a violent threat never seen before in Equestria, what will it take to protect harmony?

  • ...
23
 78
 1,576

A long night

A world full of talking ponies is also a world completely devoid of toilet paper, probably should have seen that one coming. Now I was leaning over a pit, way to shallow for my comfort, in a stall-like room on the bottom floor of the palace, asking myself why I hadn't thought this through. I hadn't felt comfortable asking any of my present company about where they conducted their “business”, so on our way to the garden, I had excused myself to “retrieve an item I had left in the dining room.”

I inquired a guard roving the hallway as to where the lavatory was located, and he had promptly escorted me. Fortunately, he didn’t ask questions when I asked him to retrieve some scroll paper from the dining hall. I never really put too much thought into just how or where the ponies of Equestria conducted their business. Over all, it was an unpleasant experience for a human. There was no door, no privacy, no place to wash your hands/hooves, and don’t get me started on the scroll paper…

Once I had concluded my use of the lavatory, I headed out into the hallway and asked the guard to lead me to the garden where everypony was assembling for dinner.

“Right this way, please,” he said, leading me left down the hallway. I made a quick note of the surrounding wall paintings to use as a reference for future visits to the bathroom. “This is going to be a long stay,” I thought to myself.

The walk was a long one, taking us through the atrium leading to the throne room, passing a series of numbered doors, and down another long hallway to a set of double glass doors leading out to the garden. We came up to the right one, which the guard held open for me and allowed me to pass. A large table was set up, surrounded by the usual red pillows, to the left of which, everypony was gathered around Celestia and Luna, talking amongst themselves. Everypony was there, plus one. A well dressed unicorn stallion I instantly recognized as Prince Blue Blood, the prissy pony from the gala episode. He eyed me as I walked in, probably at awe of my fashionable white robe and jeans. I was going to have to get some new cloths. Celestia took notice of my arrival.

“Greetings, Lou-”

“Well if it isn't the slow poke,” Rainbow Dash cut her off, “what took you so long? I need to eat.”

Celestia ignored Rainbow’s interruption and continued her greeting.

“Ahm, Welcome Louis, Dinner will be ready soon, please join us.”

“Yes, your majesty,” I replied politely, walking over to join the group. “I apologize for my tardiness; it seems my search was in vain, sorry to keep you all waiting.”

“Oh, don’t worry,” she said, “I assure you, you are not late,”

“He’s not?” Pinkie asked

“Shhh, Pinkie, “Rarity scolded, nudging her with her foreleg.

“I don’t believe I've been introduced to the well dressed stallion here,” I said, making eye contact with Blue Blood, pretending not to know him.

“Ah yes, this is our Nephew, Prince Blue Blood,” Luna said. “He asked to join us for dinner tonight. Due to the time constraints these days, it’s hard for my sister and I to have time for family.

Nephew, This is Louis, our special guest from… a far away land.”

“Humph, I’ve never seen, any sorts of creature like him, before”, he said smugly, “Tell me, where do you hail from?”

Obviously, nopony had informed him of my situation, which was probably a good thing. My presence here was probably sensitive information with changelings prowling around. I had to make up a story on the spot, which was something I wasn't good with. Iron Side looked at me, signaling to make a cover story as well. Thankfully, Luna stepped in for me.

“Louis is one of the last few of his race, known as hu..mans, who have lived in the far arctic north for centuries. He has come to Canterlot as a refugee, as Chrysalis forces have apparently occupied that land.”

“Hmm, most unfortunate, he said, ”I hope you fair better during your stay here.”

“I hope so too. And it’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance,” I replied. There was a hint of sarcasm in my voice, which nopony seemed to detect.



Celestia and Luna began walking to the head of the table. Prince Blue Blood took his place to the right flank of the two sisters, next to Luna, followed by Iron Side and Emerald Wing. Twilight sat down opposite of Blue Blood, followed by Pinkie, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy. Rarity had made it her goal to sit at the far end of the table, obviously away from Blue Blood. The only remaining seat was next to Emerald Wing, on the left end of the table.

“Whew wee!” Applejack said, “It’s about time, I’m feelin’ as hungry as a hor-”

DING DING!

A bell from the back of the garden rang out, and four colt servants came in from the entrance, carrying trays with several minuscule vegetable plates on each. How they were able to do so while walking upright on two hooves was downright impressive.

“Dinner is served,” the lead servant said.

Our trays were laid in front of us, along with a glass of pink liquid and a basket of rolls was placed by the center. I heard Rainbow Dash groan from across the table, which I completely understood. There wasn't very much on the plate, just a small number of mixed vegetables, and I was really hungry. Everypony began to eat in their own way; all the horned with magic, and everypony else the way I assumed a normal horse would eat.
I just had my hands. I know they had utensils here, but they were not here tonight. If everyone without magic was using their hooves and mouths, I could use my hands and not be impolite. I was sipping the sweet tasting pink liquid when Twilight began to inquire about myself.

“So, Louis, Tell me about what humans are like.”

Iron side and Emerald Wing shot her a cold look. Blue Blood was still here, something she probably forgot.

“Yes, tell us about how life was up in the arctic,” Celestia said, reminding me of Luna’s cover story.

“Oh, there’s not much to us,” I replied, “We tend to live very long lives, up to three hundred years or so. We live on our own, only gathering to trade with each other at the beginning of each new season. “

I pulled that one out of my ass, and it sounded fake as hell. I hoped Blue Blood would buy it. Emerald Wing quickly changed the subject.

“Prince Blue blood, I have three guardsman prepared to accompany you on your way home. They will be assigned to you by order of Princess Celestia for as long as you require their services.”

“Very well,” Blue blood said, “I shall be taking my leave soon after dinner. I trust they are of good stock”

“Some of the finest we have to offer,” Iron Side answered.

“Good, the prince said, “They will prove to be quite useful.”

“Of course his visit wasn’t just for pleasure,” I thought to myself. It kind of made sense, he was royalty, and with the threat of changelings replacing ponies, everybody with any access to the palace was in danger. I stared down at my empty plate, not satisfied. I didn’t feel like being the only one to ask for more, however. The rolls looked appetizing at least.


* * *

Shortly after, everypony had finished dinner, and we had gathered in the palace atrium to bid farewell to the prince. Iron side had assigned him his guards, and he made his way back to his manor.

“Well, then,” said Celestia, “I’d like all of you to stay here at the palace tonight. Eveypony, and I mean everypony, needs to get some rest. I’d like to hear about the progress you've made in the morning."

"I think you'll find we've made a lot of progress, Princess," said twilight.

"Progress, yes, but we have much work to be done, and we must start early," the captain added, "I shall retire for the night, your majesties."

"Good night, noble Captain," Celestia said, and good night everypony, My sister must now bring forth the night sky. Sweet Dreams my little ponies."

Luna turned to me.

"Twilight and her friends will show you to the guest rooms. They may not be suitable for a creature your size, but tomorrow we shall see what changes we can make. "I'd slept in worse conditions than a short bed, so I wasn't worried.

"Thank you, Princess, may I make a request?"

"Why, yes, Louis," Luna responded, "what is it that you require?"

"Nothing material, but I’ve always wanted to observe the creation of the night, since I first heard it was your duty in Equestria. That sort of spectacle is unheard of in my world, and I’m quit curious"

"Well of course, " she said, "I am happy to share the creation of the night with another. With theses hard times upon us, I take special care to make the night sky as beautiful of a spectacle as possible."

"Be sure to get some rest as well, stop by the guestrooms beforehand," Celestia added. What was she, my mom? "We cannot spare a minute in our efforts."

"Yes your highness," I replied.

I bowed and turned to follow Luna, who beckoned us all to follow her down the hall. I couldn't wait to see how the night sky was created.

* * *

"Now, before I return to my estate, I must make a stop at a fellow nobleman’s house." Snakestalker said in Blue Blood's voice to his newly acquired guards.

"Yes of course, sir," said the lead escort.

Perfect. Not only had he gathered a great deal of Intel from his visit to the palace, he had also acquired three new forms for his fellow changelings to take. These guardsmen should assure him and his comrades further access to the palace. He was leading them to a manor not too far from Blue Blood, formally owned by a rich stallion unicorn by the name of Fancy Pants. “Ponies and their ridiculous names… “

The house was now the meeting center for the Canterlot infiltrators Intel cell. All communication with the hive, and all operations were conducted there. The individual operating cells conducted their tasks from either the old Canterlot Crystal Caves or whatever households they managed to take control of. Information passed you the hive would have to be passed by word of mouth, by undercover operators, through various channels leading back to the hives base of operations. That location was far to the north, but only the final channels knew its exact location. This was to avoid it being revealed if any operators were caught and interrogated. Not that any one of his kind would ever give into interrogators, dispute what they were put through. They were loyal to their queen to the death, and only did what was beneficial to the hive. The information passing process would take a few days overall, but the sensitivity of the Intel Snakestalker had acquired would be important enough to expedite the process.

This, human creature, was indeed a good asset to the kingdom of Equestria. He seemed to have some knowledge about how their operations were being conducted. He had organized several counter measures, within a time span of a few hours, which would no doubt be a threat to their operations in Canterlot, if not the overall invasion. His story at dinner was obviously a cover-up to hide his true origin. Snakestalker had heard enough in the war room as a spider about who he was and the sort of world he hailed from. He would have to be dealt with soon, before order was restored again, and the Canterlot cells possibly uncovered.

He and his accompanying guards approached Fancy Pants manor. The grand door way was shrouded by the light of two lamp posts.

"Here we are," Snakestalker said, "this will only be brief, if the three of you would kindly accompany me inside..."

* * *
Luna and I stood on the balcony of the highest tower in the palace. The sky had become a dark blue sheet when Celestia had lowered her sun. Now, Luna began to use the sky as her canvas. Her wings outstretched, making her a prominent presence, and her eyes and horn began to glow. Over the horizon came a bright circle, which bathed the land with a soft lunar glow as it rose, slowly settling in place overhead. From the glow of the moon, tiny lights began to spiral outward, becoming stars, and falling into constellations and clusters. There were so many of them, brighter and more glorious than I had ever seen on earth. Luna closed her wings gracefully and the glow of her horn and eyes faded away. “It is complete,” she said.
I’ve always been one to look up at the sky and feel small. Creation, especially the night sky, always tends to fill me with wonder and awe. What I had just witnessed however, had just blown my mind. The sense of power and beauty of a night being “created” right before my eyes was incredible. Any more words could not express it any further. I also felt a bit hurt that the magical and beautiful world that Equestria was, would have to face the conflict it was. Leave it to me to focus on the negative side. They had done nothing to deserve this. They loved peace and harmony, they were in tune with magic, and they had a far greater potential to create than destroy.

I felt as though my own presence here would also threaten that existence. Apparently, the only reason I was here was to bring the knowledge of my world to theirs, the knowledge of conflict. I wasn’t god at much else, and I certainly felt I didn’t belong here…

“Is something wrong, Louis?” Luna startled me. I didn’t notice I had been starring off for a minute or so.
“You haven’t said a word, did you not like what you saw?”

“Oh…I’m sorry, Princess, it was amazing. We don’t have any event like this in my world.”

“You don’t have a night?” she asked, looking puzzled.

“No we have a night and day, but it’s creation took place millions of years before I came into existence. Seeing you work the night sky as if it were a painting was as if I was seeing the creation of my own universe at the moment it came to be.”

“I sense something is troubling you,” Luna said. “You have a woeful look in your eyes, one I know all too well not to recognize.”She was probably talking about her sister. Though they had forgiven one another for the tragedy that had taken place a thousand years ago, I’m sure both sisters harbored some regret and sorrow.

“My eyes tend to do that, they are just deep set, everyone makes that mistake,” I suggested. It was time to change the subject. Luna persisted, however.

“There is no reason to hide what ails you, doing so will only cause things to grow more hurtful inside oneself.” I couldn’t argue with the expert. Luna closed the distance between us and outstretched a wing over me.
“Well, Princess,” I said. “from all I know of this world, I can’t imagine the effect that the changeling attack has brought upon it. The stories of Equestria I have…read… have shown me a world where friendship and harmony rule over chaos and evil. But this new evil threatens not only your existence, but the very values you hold dear. No..pony can trust each other when they might be a fake. Nopony has ever had to go through a sleepless night wondering if they were going to be the next victim of a raid, or lose a loved one with no explanation. Worst of all, No pony has ever had to look up and wonder if they would ever be saved, or feel as if there was absolutely no hope. Something has always been there.“
I paused briefly, trying to collect myself. I felt anger well up in my again. “You shouldn’t have to face something like this. I almost feel guilty myself. I’m only here because some spell dragged me from my room, to apparently teach your kind how to deal with terror. The only solution I know isn’t any better than the problem itself. I feel I to threaten your world somehow.”

I continued to stare off into the distance.

You trouble yourself wrongly," she said. "Despite how a good a society may be, evil will always be present. It may manifest in a way differently here then your own world, but it is equal in the hurt it causes. Equestria was not always dedicated to the values of harmony. It was the founding and creation of the Elements of Harmony that finally quelled the chaos and division of its inhabitants."

I knew this, but sometimes I needed a reminder. In my reality, Equestria was created as a universe where peace existed as a result of harmony conquering division and uniting three tribes of ponies with many differences. It was an example to be learned from. Although it was just something we could only hope for in my world, in this reality, it really did exist.

"The magic of Equestria is like a benevolent force, with a will of its own. Everypony is in tune with it. It comes from the hearts of each pony, an embodiment of their needs and desires. The spell cast to summon you was also powered by the Elements of Harmony. Besides the basic criteria the spell was meant to search for, it found something in you that could specifically protect that which was most in danger. You may be unaware of it now, but one day, this will manifest in you somehow. I believe in the magic of the spell and the Elements. Over the long span of time I have lived, I've had no reason to believe otherwise, even when I fell to darkness, the Elements were my salvation."

Somehow, her words comforted me. I felt warm in her embrace now. To believe there was no hope was to give in to what a terrorist wanted. I would do what it took to preserve this world. I just hoped I possessed whatever it would require. "Thank you, Princess," I said. "I feel better now. If it’s all the same to you, I think I should be turning in soon."
I was rather tired. When I was summoned from my barracks room, it was close to one am, and I'd been dealing with a hangover all day.

"Very well, goodnight, Louis, may your dreams be peaceful."

"Good night, Princess." I replied, turning to leave.

* * *

I came down the hall where the numbered rooms lined both sides of the walls. I had been shown my room by Twilight on my way to up to the Tower with Luna. I looked at the gold embroidered numbers for 306, where all the items that got sucked up with me had been stashed. The room before mine was open, and Twilight was inside, reading a red covered book by candlelight. She noticed me and looked up at me.

"Hello Louis, forget where your room was already?" She teased.

"No, mines right next to yours. I just saw you were still awake, I assume everyone else is already asleep."

"Um, actually, about that, I think Pinkie Pie and Rainbow are going through your things. I was about to tell you." Shit, I hoped they hadn't opened my bottle of Jack or broke my guitar. This couldn't turn out well. Twilight and I quickly walked over to my room, and I pushed open the door expecting the worst.
“Hey Silly!” Pinkie Pie chirped. She was balancing my guitar on her head. “Pinkie, put that down, you don’t know what that it!” Twilight scolded. Rainbow Dash had managed to turn on my laptop and was staring at the screen, thank god it was broken.
“What’s this glowy thingy?” She asked putting a hoof down on the keyboard, “It doesn’t seem to do much.”
“It’s broken,” I replied, “but it’s hard to explain what it is. Now Pinkie can you please put my guitar dow-“
When I turned to face here, she was holding my bottle of Jack Denials over her head. “Is this some kind of potion or something?” I quickly snatched it up.
“Yes, it’s a drink, but only humans can handle it. You would hate it anyway, it’s bitter and sour.”

“Why would anypony want to drink that?” She asked . “That’s also hard to explain,” I said.
“This looks like some kind of instrument,” Twilight said, examining my guitar where pinkie had dropped it, “like a banjo or violin.”
“Yea, it’s like that” I said. I leaned the guitar next to the bed and sat down at the edge, hoping they would catch the hint.
“You should play something then!” Pinkie demanded. I wasn’t really in the mood tonight.
“Maybe, but not right now, I-“
“Hey, now that we are alone, you should tell us more about the human world!” Twilight interrupted. I also wasn’t in the mood for even more questions.
“Hey yea!” pinkie exclaimed. “Let me get the rest of the girls!”
“I Think they are asleep, Pinkie, you should leave them be.” Rainbow suggested.
“Asleep with all this racket?” That was Applejack, who was followed by Rarity and Fluttershy.
“Indeed! You four have been keeping me awake for the past five minutes! Whatever could be more important than sleep?”
“Louis is about to tell us more about the human world!” Twilight announced.
“Yea! And play his guh tar thingy for us!” Pinkie added. I wasn’t planning on doing either of those things at all. The six mares, however, looked hungry for knowledge. I thought back on my situation for a minute. Here was a chance to spend time with my six favorite ponies that until yesterday, only existed as cartoon creations, sleep could wait. They all planted their flanks on the ground around me. I let out a sigh and prepared for the proceeding series of endless questions I’m sure they had. “This is going to be a long night.” I thought to myself. “Ok, what would you girls like to know?”

* * *

A little over an hour later, we were still deep in our discussion. I had shared all the similarities and differences our two worlds had. I had chosen to leave out history, and just describe the world I currently hailed from to keep things simple. Of course, each answer led to another question, mostly “why?” which is the worst way to ask for an explanation ever.
“It’s sad what’s happening to all the plants and animals on your planet.“ Fluttershy said.
“Yes, but we do what we can to protect nature. Not every person is careless about the environment.
“And your description of human fashion styles intrigues me,” Rarity added, “I must admit I didn’t have a very good image of human clothing based on what you came into the throne room with. Do you really wear clothing everywhere you go?”
“Yes, we do, it’s not considered appropriate to be naked in public, or anywhere but in extreme privacy.”
“How odd,” she said, “but I can appreciate that. We need to do something about your current style though”
“Yea, actually, I was hoping you could design something for me the wear while I am here. This robe just isn’t me.”
“Well, I can’t do much here,” she replied, “but hopefully we can take a trip back to Ponyvill where I have my dress boutique. I’m sure I can make something that fits you there.”
“Sounds great!” I said. I couldn’t wait to wear something other than this ridiculous robe.
“I can’t believe you have ponies that don’t fly or talk, or use magic!” Applejack said.
“Well, in my reality, humans are the only sentient species. It’s just as strange to me that your world is full of ponies that do all those things.” She looked like she understood.
“I guess so,” she said, “Still boggles the mind.
“Still lame!” Rainbow Dash added. “Using machines to fly! Where’s the sport in that?”
“Controlling those machines,” I said. “It isn’t an easy thing. Plus, we can go way faster in them, fast enough to do a sonic rainboom ten times over.”
“Wow” she said, dumbfounded by the idea. I wasn’t sure if in Equestria, a sonic rainboom was really caused by her breaking the sound barrier, or if it was just another form of magic that a superfast Pegasus could use. She probably had no concept of that sort of speed.
“It amazes me how similar our two worlds actually are.” Twilight pointed out. She had done most of the questioning, writing down every word I had said in her journal.
“That’s why we love your stories so much in my world, we can relate quite a bit.” I said.
Tonight had been a lot of fun. I still couldn’t believe this was actually happening, but I had to except it one way or another. Even though they had just met me, I already knew them so well, so the questioning had been rather one sided. I let out a yawn and stretched.
“Wait! You can’t go to sleep yet!” Pinkie Pie protested, “You haven’t played us a song on your guhtar thingy yet!
She looked downright dejected, leaving me little choice in the matter. “I’m not too good at it really,” I said,” But I guess I could play a song, but only on.”
“YESSSS!” she exclaimed. I thought about what I should play. I thought about a lot of songs, but the simplest and most melodic one that came to mind was “house of The Rising Sun”, which was ok, since I wasn’t going to sing the lyrics. I retrieved my pick from the strings and inspected my guitar. It had a little body damage from being flung onto the floor after colliding with my head. I strummed it and found it surprisingly somewhat in tune.

“Ohhh,” everypony cooed.
I fingered A minor and began to play. They all looked on; interested in the tune, the likes they had probably never heard before. Pinkie moved with the music but frowned, probably because it was a sad sounding song. When I had finished, I looked up at everypony, and saw an amusing look on their faces.
“That sounded kind of sad,” Pinkie said, as I expected, “You should play another!”
“Now, pinkie, I’m sure we all want to hear more songs, but it’s getting awful late now,” Rarity said, “We all need our sleep.”
“Just one more, maybe I can sing to it!”
“I’d like to hear another as well,” Said Fluttershy. That came as a surprise; she had hardly talked to me or even looked my direction at all since I arrived. I guessed I didn’t scare her as much now that she knew more about me. “Uh, if that’s ok with everyone.”

“Ok, another one I guess, if everypony insists.” I didn’t know what to play next, so I started strumming chords to warm up. Pinkie began humming along with my chord progression. Before I knew it, we were creating a song of our own, and every pony was smiling and moving with the music. It ended up being a long night indeed.

Author's Note:

This chapter took sometime to write for a lot of reasons. I had a four day break to fly home and visit my family, fully intending to write more, but I got way to distracted. Following that, I had to spend four more days in the field for some trainning upon returning to base. I've also spent a lot of time reanalizing the way I write and trying to tie in some of the things I've learned from other autors. I've started storyboarding events, and most of the next few chapters have been drawn up in a way where all I have to do is fill in the details. I've taken alot of suggestions from the boards here as well. I've also realized that in order to properly tell this story, I'm going to have to write chapters a lot longer than three to four thousand words. You can expect each chapter from now on, save for maybe the epiloge, to include anywhere from four to seven thousand words.