• Published 19th May 2013
  • 1,571 Views, 78 Comments

The 7th Element - Tracer0311



When faced with a violent threat never seen before in Equestria, what will it take to protect harmony?

  • ...
23
 78
 1,571

Rumors

I found myself walking through a forest at night, the moon shinning through the tree canopy and illuminating the path before me. Up ahead, a faint light was visible, drawing me mysteriously towards it. As I walked further on, the light grew brighter, than began to accelerate towards me, until something impacted into my stomach. "Omffg!" was all I was able to let out, as the wind was knocked out of me. The scene suddenly changed to a bedroom, where I was laying down with a pink ball bouncing on my chest.

"Wake up, silly!" It said. I sat up letting Pinkie Pie fall of my stomach, and tried to take in another breath. "It's morning, everypony else is awake! You even missed breakfast."

"Shit," I thought, "I like breakfast..."

"Don't worry though," she continued, rolling of the bed and standing at the edge, "I brought some for you!"

On top of the drawer was a plate of cupcakes and cookies, of course. This, I assumed, was gonna be my diet here. I pushed the blankets away, still recovering from having the wind knocked out of me and tried to reply. "Thank... Pink...”

"Oh, no problem at all," she said.

"Now if you don't mind, I need to get ready..."
"Okey Doky, ever pony’s in the dining room planning and stuff, when you’re ready." That meant I was late again, at least I was consistent. I waited for her to walk out and shut the door, then got up and put on my pants and robe. I grabbed a cupcake and scarfed it down. Sweets here were a million times better. It amazed me that there weren’t a lot more fat ponies around. After eating another, I pocketed my knife and headed out into the hall.

Now that I had some general idea where everything in the palace was, it wasn't hard to find the dining room. It was down the hallway exiting left of the atrium, a short walk from where I was currently. The doors were flanked by two guards, unicorns, one of which used his magic to open the door for me. Inside, the scene was the same as it was yesterday, just slightly less cluttered. I noticed Twilight, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash were absent. "Good morning, everyone," I said, smiling sheepishly. That got a stern look from both Iron Side and Emerald Wing.

"Well, you've certainly missed out on a lot," Emerald Wing said, "I was under the impression you were here to help us, not spend all day enjoying the comfort of your bed." She obviously didn't like me very much. I wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes, or hooves, here, just act in advisor capacity. I hadn't felt I was giving off that impression, but things here were falling apart, and it was clear they desperately needed my help. Not that I was, an expert on anything, but in this world I guess I was. The movie "Idiocracy" came to mind.

"Easily could have been avoided if I had an alarm clock," I said, moving over to the far end of the table next to Iron Side, "if you don't mind, I'd like to hear all about it."

"Well, for one, we've implemented the new patrol and post schedule. It’s too soon to know how effective it will be, but after a full rotation, we can collect enough data to know. Princess Sparkle has taken up the responsibility of teaching all the unicorn guard how to use the identification spell, but she is limited to all those who are not on patrol. She is also working with Princess Luna on an identification ward for the palace." Things were already starting to run smoothly.

"Ant reports of changelings being discovered yet?" I asked.

"None from any of the patrols this morning," said Emerald Wing, "but with the spell being put into practice, it’s only a matter of time before we uncover any impostors. The spell is still a secret right now."

They really had gotten a lot done today. Maybe I wasn't going to be here much longer. This was only Canterlot however, I reminded myself. The threat was to all Equestria itself, Canterlot was only the first step. I thought about what we'd do if we managed to capture a changeling here in the next few days. This was my next question.

"Hey, captain, what are your plans for any changelings we happen to capture?"

"Well, so far, we've detained a few. A magic inhibitor ward is cast around them, and they are brought to either Princess Celestia or Luna and banished immediately from our plain. Not really sure where that is, but they no longer pose a threat to us." They obviously had no idea about HUMINT, or PONINT, OR CHANGEINT, whatever you'd call it here. An important source of intel comes from interrogation of the enemy. Not always reliable, but when it is, you can learn quite a bit.

"We captured a few of those meanies back In Ponyvill!" Said Pinkie, "I caught them trying to copy the mayor and her staff. They weren't talkative at all, after we kicked their patooties, Twilight just held them there till the Royal Guard came and took them."

"You tried interrogation after capturing them?" I asked.

"My ponies have tried getting information from them, but to no avail, they just hiss or remain silent when asked questions, " said Emerald. Maybe they were not rough enough with them. "What about beating answers out of them?"

"Just more angry hissing." She said. A stubborn, dedicated enemy, that was familiar too. I didn't know much about the nature of changelings, they only appeared in one episode after all. I assumed they served the queen like any hive-like species. That meant they would be entirely devoted.

"Maybe Fluttershy can stare them into talking." I suggested.

"I don't feel comfortable staring at one of those things," Fluttershy said, "it makes me feel uncomfortable." She cowered a little, bowing her head.

"But you stared down a Cockatrice as it was turning you into stone!" Said Rarity, "and saved both my sister and Twilight."

"Well, I guess I could give it a try, um, as long as everypony is there to help me..."

"I'm going to guess all the ones you've captured so far have been banished already." I asked

"Unfortunately, yes, we don't like to keep them around long, obviously." Said Iron Side. That took care of that, hopefully with the identity spell in practice; a few more would turn up soon.

"Well, I hope one of the patrols or check points nags one soon. If we can successfully interrogate one, we can uncover at least part of their plan for Equestria and get an idea of what we are dealing with."

"That reminds me, Louis," Iron Side said, "Princess Celestia has ordered that you remain in the palace. Your presence must remain a secret for as long as necessary."

That was disappointing. I kind of wanted to see Canterlot and Ponyvill, but it did make sense. I knew this was probably the best idea since the dinner last night. I really wanted to go on a patrol though; I like to be involved, not just in the background.

"Even at night?" I asked.

"Yes, you will remain constantly informed by one of us, so you don't have any need to leave." Iron side informed me.

"Rainbow Dash has become my second in command for the aerial patrols. If I am unavailable, she will report to you," said Emerald, "she is currently out timing the aerial routes."

"Miss Applejack has chosen to aid in the ground Patrols and reports to Lt Steady Hooves," the captain added, "either He or Applejack will keep you informed on any occurrence of changelings being uncovered. You will be under the watch of either Princess Sparkle or I."

"Very well," I didn't have much of a choice, "I won't argue with that, I'm just happy to help. I will get to see any changelings we capture, though, right?"

"If you wish, "Iron Side replied, "I don't see the problem with that."

That was good at least; I couldn't wait to kick a changeling in the face. I'm not a bad guy, bit changelings in my mind were evil to the core, so it didn't bother me if they experienced a little pain for all the trouble they were causing. It wasn't the same as dealing with human POWs in my mind.

I became aware of my usual morning urge to use the facilities, and started searching for some blank scroll paper. "Excuse me Captain, but I need to excuse myself briefly..."

* * *

Snakestalker sat in a dark lit cider cellar under Fancy Pants Manor; in the company of the Canterlot intel cell Chief Darkshadow. Word of the outlander’s arrival had already been passed through the proper channels and was on its way to the hive's secret location. All that remained was finding a way to deal with the outlander until orders arrived.

"Hasss this creature been ssseen out of the palacess?" The chief asked

"Negative, chief, it isss my underssstanding from my infiltration of the palacess that the Princesssesss wisssh to keep his arrival a sssecret. He will mosst likely be limited to the palacesss asss long asss thisss remainsss ssso." This troubled Darkshadow. Snakestalker had informed him of the new identification spell being put into practice for ALL traffic entering the palace. While this creature would be unable to actively aid the pony guard, he would still be protected within the palace walls and be able to help from the inside. As Snakestalker had informed him, the creature had organized the guard to be more efficient, allowing them to crack down on their operations here. They needed to know more about this new enemy, and maybe even capture and replace him. Perhaps he wouldn't be subject to constant identification checks like all the ponies in Canterlot.

"I have a sssuggessstion, chief," Snakestalker said, "Maybe if hisss presssence wasss no longer a sssecret..."

"You are sssaying we ssshhould expossse him to the populace?" The chief asked.

"Yesss, ssspread rumorssss through Canterlot, ussing our asssumed formsss. Let them grow, and then encourage everypony to demand the Princesssesss reveal him. It isss posssible that he will be allowed to leave and operate on the outssside. All we have to do isss wait for our moment. "

"It ssseemsss a bit far off," said Darkshadow, "but we can try thisss. I like your sssugestion...ssspeak with your fellow operatorssss, inform them of thisss plan, and releassse them into the population under their asssumed formsss. We will ussse the influence of our own formsss to kindle the fire. For the love of the Queen."

"It will be done," Snakestalker replied, "long live the Queen, long live the hive."

* * *

Twilight's morning had been really busy. Every guard rotation that came through the gate had to check in with her, in order that any unicorn guardsmen that had not learned the identity spell could be taught. If an incoming patrol did not have any unicorns that had learned the spell, she took it upon herself to scan each one of them. It wasn't a hard spell to teach, but performing it so many times was taking a toll on her endurance. The roster she had been provided was largely unfinished, meaning she had a lot of work ahead of her. She spotted an incoming Pegasus patrol, and was relieved to see a familiar face among them.

"Hey there, Twilight!" Rainbow Dash flew over to her. Twilight focused on her and enveloped Rainbow in a purple aura of magic. "Hey, what gives?" After a moment, she was done, and she lifted her aura.
"Sorry, Dash, I have to scan everypony coming through, you know how it is."
She began scanning another pegasus.
"Hmm, looks like you're having a busy morning." Rainbow observed.

"Yea, you can say that, I've been up since five this morning trying to get this all done. It’s a lot more work than I thought."

"Five in the morning?" Rainbow asked, baffled, “we didn't hit the hay till around one last night! You really need to get some sleep, Twi, your no good if you can't think straight. "

"I wish we had time for that, but the security of Canterlot is more important. Besides, once I'm finished here, I'll be able to get all the sleep I want." Twilight moved on to the next pegasus.

"Can't we just find a spell that repels every evil creature in the area?" Rainbow asked, "like the one your brother used to defeat them the first time?"

"If I had the time to travel to the Crystal Empire, I would, but that spell is complicated, and requires constant focus to maintain. If he were to travel here, he would have to drop the protection spell over the Crystal Empire anyway." The last pegasus stepped forward, and Twilight began to scan him.

Rainbow put a hoof on her element necklace. "What about the elements, we use them all the time to fix the mess a bad guy causes."

"The elements need a specific target, remember? Each time we used them, we targeted the villain and undid the magic they had used. We don't even know where the changelings are until they strike." Twilight replied.

"Ah, phooey," said Rainbow, "well I guess we do have a lot of work to do, catch you later Twi, I have to go check in with Emerald Wing, good luck, and please try to take a break soon."

"I'll rest when the job is finished, I promise" Twilight replied. She waved her hoof to Rainbow Dash, then looked at the roster, twenty five more patrols remained. She let out a sigh and waited for the next patrol.

* * *

The rest of the day was rather uneventful. I was beginning to realize that being retained to the palace was going to be boring as hell. There were a total of four places I could visit, my room, the dining room, the garden, and the throne room. I wasn't going to argue with the Celestia or Luna's wishes, but I found myself dying to sneak out. The only view I had of Canterlot was at night on Luna's balcony. I decided I was going to make a habit of this every night. As the afternoon dragged on, I retired to my room to play with my guitar. Dinner would be in a few hours, and would probably be served in the actual dining hall since we had successfully organized the place. Iron Side wanted us to meet there this evening anyway to discuss the progress we had made. I had just started playing when Rarity entered the room, holding something behind her with her magic.

"Hello, dear, I hope I'm not interrupting your playing."

"Not at all, Rarity," I said, "what brings you back here?" Dumb question, she was obviously bringing me something, but I've been told I'm one for clichés.

"Well, I've had some time this afternoon to work on a few things, and I thought, why not find you something to match your... jeans." She levitated the box over to me. "I found some material I think goes good with blue. I hope it fits ok, I didn't have any way to accurately measure it."

I opened the box and pulled out a t-shirt looking clothing item that was dark blue and a little big. "Wow, Rarity, thanks!" It wasn't all that spectacular, but practical, more so than the robe, and did match my jeans. I took of the robe and put on the shirt. The soft fabric was a relief

"Like I said, I did not have much to work with. Perhaps when we find ourselves a bit of time, I can put together a nice ensemble for you."

"Your too generous, " I told her, which made her grin.

"I just wanted you to be spared the suffering of that odd, unlatching robe," She said. "I've been designing an insignia for guard to wear based on their patrols, Captain Iron Side told me you said it was better for organization. I'll present it at our diner meeting tonight."

"Great to hear, and yes, it will indeed help. Thanks again for all you work"

"Why thank you she said," anything I can do to help."

As soon as she left, I lay on the bed and unintentionally fell asleep.

* * *

Third squad, first platoon began their first patrol rotation late in the afternoon. The newly organized squad had received more than enough rest time than the previously existing rotation had allowed, increasing moral considerably. Applejack had joined them on request of Steady Hooves to speak with the populace about any suspicions they may have. The rout would take them down the main street in Canterlot, and through the residential district. There were not very many ponies out and about, so it came to a surprise to her when the patrol came across a group of arguing ponies outside a small cafe. The patrol's two unicorns had not learned the identification spell yet, so the squad leader intended to rigorously question any residents they came across. He halted the patrol up at the cafe, and approached the squabbling ponies along with Applejack. Upon spotting the patrol, everypony hushed up.

"Excuse me, citizens, but may I ask why you are gathered here with all this trouble about?" He inquired. No pony spoke up, so Applejack asked next.

"Come on now, spit it out, we heard y'all arguin' from down the street, it has to be something mighty important. We're just lookin' out for trouble, that's all."

A grey, intelligent looking unicorn stallion sporting glasses broke the, silence. "It's nothing sir, just a rumor we were discussing. Nothing of any particular interest to anypony."

"Well, I'm certainly interested," the squad leader said, sternly, "why not share it?"

Applejack didn't feel comfortable with his approach. He seemed a bit too harsh for just a little inquiry. It was probably about nothing anyhow.

"Well, um, sir," the grey unicorn started, "there's a rumor going around that Celes, ahem, the Princess, has had to summon a spirit from another world or something, to help combat the changeling threat. Merely a rumor, and I've been denouncing it the whole time we've been here."

"What? Where did you hear this nonsense?" The leader asked.

"It’s just a rumor going about. They say he's changing the way the guards work, and teaching them spells."

Another orange earth pony spoke up. "They also say he can see everything, and that he watches us from the highest tower of the palace."

"Ok, listen up, the lot of you, I want you all to return to your homes and dismiss this nonsense immediately! I'd better not see any of you when my patrol comes by again." The leader ordered.

"Ye, yes sir," the grey unicorn said. The crowd dispersed, leaving the patrol alone.

"How could this rumor have gotten out?" Applejack asked as the patrol picked up again.

"Some pony with access to the castle must have spoke to the wrong pony. This could be a major breach in security." Said the patrol leader.

"Well, darn it, we're gonna have ta report this," Applejack said, "what do you think they'll do about it?"

The patrol leader looked her in the eyes. "Deny it, what else? It will eventually blow over. If we hear anything else about it on our patrol, I want you to stay back with the other guards, I understand your not very good at lying."

* * *

Again, Pinkie Pie had woke me up, this time by shaking the bed violently. I remembered, happily, that I was no longer wearing the white robe anymore. That thing got hot during the day. I also realized I needed a shower. I was sure they had something like that here in the palace. Currently, I had to be present for the dinner meeting, where Celestia would be joining us to learn about the events of today. Everypony had assembled there, most of the documents and maps had been moved to accommodate our dinner plates. Twilight looked as though she had a rough day, her normally we combed main was a frizzy mess, and her eyes were deep sunk.

"Well, your new cloths fit you well," said Fluttershy.

"You can thank Rarity for that one." I replied, pointing towards her. She beamed at the recognition.

Steady Hooves was there, the first time I'd seen him since last night, sitting next to Applejack, looking over a sheet of paper with some locations written on it. I took my seat next to them, and realized my pillow was a little sunk it. "Hey, can I get a book or two over here?" I asked everyone, "any will do."

"Sure," answered Twilight, "why?" The book see had picked levitated over to me, and I snatched it out of the air. Twilight frowned as I placed it under my rump and sat down. "I needed a boost." I said, shrugging.

The doors opened up, and Celestia appeared, flanked by her usual guard entourage. Everypony bowed, save for the three officers, who snapped a salute, and me who lowered my head respectively.

"Good evening everypony," she said, walking in. She came to the front of the table and sat down. "I hear today has been rather busy for most of you."

"Yes, your majesty," said Iron Side, "reorganization has been-"

"Hold on Iron Side, let’s wait for our food to arrive," Celestia politely interrupted, "I want everypony to be in good spirits before we begin our discussion."

The food that was brought out certainly lifted my spirits. Along with a large helping of cooked vegetables, a large, pink cake with strawberries and marshmallows was placed at the center of the table. I drooled a little. Pinkie Pie looked like she was about to explode. Only Iron Side seemed unaffected by the delicious dreamy delicacy's presence.

"Well then," Celestia said, "please continue."

"Well as I was saying, your highness, Louis' patrol reorganization has increased efficiency and moral. We cover more ground with less ponies."

"We've also taught every single unicorn in the ranks the identification spell. Every gate in the palace will be scanning all incoming traffic." Twilight added.

"Glad to know, sounds like we are safe, I knew I could count on all of you." Celestia said, happily.

"There's just one tiny problem, your highness," Applejack stated.

"Yes, what is it, dear Applejack?" Celestia asked. A look of concern came over her face.

"Well, a few times on some of the patrols today, we came across groups of ponies talkin' about a rumor goin' about." She paused for a moment. This didn't sound good, I could tell it bothered her."Apparently, some pony has let the word out that Equestria has a new visitor. They say some really outlandish things about him, but they all believe he was summoned by you." This was news to me. "When were you planning on sharing this with me?" I asked.

Celestia gasped, looked over at me, than to the captain. "How could this have gotten out?"

"We don't know your highness, somepony may have leaked the information," the captain pointed out, "Most of the rumor is falsely absurd. There is an ongoing investigation."

"Your highness, Captain Iron Side informed me that you wanted me to remain within the palace. I promise you I have abided by your decision." I hoped she believed me, she was the wrong pony to cross.

"He most certainly has," Rarity said in my defense, "I can vouch for him all morning and afternoon."

"Do not worry, Louis, I believe you, "Celestia replied, "but we must do something to quash these rumors. You understand why I don't want everypony to know you're here?"

"I do your highness," I replied, "for my protection and to keep the enemy from thinking you are desperate."

"I suggest you address these rumors publicly tomorrow, " said Iron Side, "the citizens of Canterlot will listen to their princess."

Celestia stared of for a moment, thinking to herself. "Very well, I think your suggestion is our best course of action, I will write up a short speech tonight"

I changed the subject. "This morning, we discussed interrogating any changelings we happen to capture. It is my understanding that you have been unable to extract any information from ones you've previously detained."

"That is correct," said Celestia, "they have since been banished to beyond our plain."

I hoped she liked our idea. "Well, Fluttershy has agreed to use her stare ability to force them to answer our questions."

Celestia turned to Fluttershy. "Are you certain you are willing to do this, my pony?"

"Well, um, if I know I'm safe, and it is for the good of us all, I guess I could, um, use the stare, but I don't like being around those things." She shook a little. A delicate pony like herself was probably most affected by the fear the changelings had spread. I wondered if she could keep her composure face to face with one of them. However, in the face of danger, she had exhibited a measure of self discipline and saved her friends a few times. I assumed that's what it took the inspire bravery in her.

"If you feel uncomfortable about it, dear, there is no pressure on you," Celestia assured her, "don't feel like we are forcing anything upon you."

"Thank you, your highness." Fluttershy answered meekly.

I finished the last of my vegetables, feeling satisfied by tonight’s portion. I needed some protein eventually, but for now, my thoughts went to the cake. A unicorn colt servant came in from the back of the room and used his magic to evenly slice the cake. This time, I asked him for a fork, which he retrieved for me from the kitchen. I knew they had forks, I had seen unicorns use them in the show.

The cake was even more delicious than the cupcakes I had that morning. The icing was sweeter than I had ever tasted, there had to be a secret to how they made desserts in Equestria that humans had not discovered. "I'm going to need some exercise." I told myself. When I was finished, I asked Celestia if it would be ok to watch the night be arranged with Luna again. It was, after all the only view of the outside world I really had.

"Certainly, she'd be happy to have you accompany her again." She said.

* * *

As soon as Celestia had retired her sun, Luna began her work once more. I leaned over the balcony rail and watched the spectacle unfold, equally amazed as I was the night before. When Luna had finished, she came over to the edge with me.

"So, how have you faired since our last discussion?" She asked.

"Well, Princess, I haven't put too much thought into it today, but the negativity I felt before has defiantly been lifted." Our talk the night before had been quite helpful, that and the fun time I had with Twilight and her friends.

"Well, it pleases me t-"

"Look, it's true!" We both froze.

The voice came from down below. There was a group of ponies gathered in the street. "There's the spirit that Celestia has summoned!" They were all staring up at us. When we looked down, they all scattered.

"Shit!" I said loudly.

"Guards!!!" Luna screamed, then looked over at me. "Oh, my sister is not gonna like this."

Author's Note:

I know it seems that my word count is getting larger with every chapter. I feel like I’ve reached my average chapter length with this one, so unless it becomes absolutely necessary for telling the story, all my following chapter should be around 5000 words, give or take. A special tanks to whomever placed my on the barracks duty roster for Saturday, you gave me the time to finish this chapter.