• Published 13th May 2013
  • 13,849 Views, 57 Comments

Zig Zag Love - Akashic Brony



The mighty Griffin Kingdoms with their new War Wing airships have ventured forth to conquer their neighbors. A desperate plan is born to change the winds of war. Meanwhile a Griffin meets a Zebra.

  • ...
3
 57
 13,849

Chapter 8 Delusion

The entire desert floor rose as sand shot upwards and formed a wall that towered over even their airship. The sand flowed like a waterfall and from behind the shroud, two dark shadows roared.

“What’s that?!” cried Reagle leaping back from the windows.

“The dragons, Sanscara and Serifima, they form the sand wall of Zericho. We must flash the correct signal or they will destroy us.” Zaza pulled out a codebook from her saddle pouch.

Nokimbe manned the signal light in front of the bridge. Zaza held out the code book while Nokimbe manipulated the controls. After a series of flashes the half hidden dragons roared in recognition, responding with another set of signal roars. The dragons gave a final outcry before an opening was created in the wall.

“Medium speed ahead.” said Zaza.

Pulling past the sand wall, they saw in full view the massive city. Floating above it were dozens of striped War Balloons. The War Balloons opened their gun ports and flashes of signal lights were emitted from them.

“We’ve been commanded to land in bay five.” said Nokimbe.

“Do it.” said Zaza.

“War Balloons, so there is a still a Zebra air force after all. I’m impressed.” said Isara wryly.

“Among the many things we’ve kept in reserve.” said Zaza proudly.

“I’m sorry to say those War Balloons wouldn’t match against War Wings. You’d lose four of them for every War Wing.” said Reagle.

“I thought ratio was three to one.” said Isara.

“Commander Zephyr proved that.” said Zaza.

“Aye but it was one battle, a skirmish by my measure, and Zephyr had the airship surrounded.” said Reagle.

“Birdy, I would keep your beak shut about that. You might be right but Commander Zephyr is a proud one. He lost good friends fighting that battle.” said Nokimbe.

“What? Are we about to meet him?” asked Reagle.

“Indeed.” Zaza nodded.

In the throne room of the central palace, sat a grizzled Zebra warrior. The Zebra warrior’s right leg was a jointed wooden and metal replacement. By his side was a Zebra mare that had similar neck rings to Zaza.

Zaza bowed lightly. “Commander Zephyr, I request your aid in passage to Mt. Hope. Our ship is in need of refuelling.”

Zephyr nodded. “Commander Zaza, it will take a several days to resupply your vessel. We are in the process of refining more fuel.”

She sighed. “Very well, but no longer. My mission is of utmost importance.”

“Last we spoke, you left my city with an army.”

Zaza frowned. “My troops are now held captive in Griffin claws. It was the price for accomplishing my mission.”

Zephyr nodded sadly. “I understand… I hope it was worth it. Sacrifices must be made.” Zephyr flicked his right leg and a sword blade extended from the prosthetic appendage. He pointed it towards Reagle. “However what is a devil bird doing in your company?!”

Zaza jumped in front of Reagle. “That is none of your concern. We are of equal rank. You have no right to question me.”

Zephyr snorted. “The Zebra King has given no details about your mission but has told us to do everything to get you safe passage. I’ll tolerate the devil bird’s presence but if he so much as looks at me wrong, I’ll gut him.” He retracted his sword and walked off in a huff.

The Zebra mare by Zephyr’s side strolled towards them. She looked sadly on as Zephyr left.

“Forgive my husband, the war has taken a toll. I fear for his soul.”

“Zecora!” Zaza almost hopped towards the other Zebra mare.

“Zaza, sister most dear! Your absence had filled me with fear.” said Zecora.

“Same here. I really missed you.” said Zaza.

“If my eyes tell me no lies. I believe that is Reagle Hawkmor in you company. I see the Prince of the enemy.” said Zecora as she stared at the Griffin intensely.

“Wait, no Zecora! He’s not evil. He’s-” said Zaza.

“Sister, this is most strange. You would normally kill a devil bird within range.” said Zecora pointing a hoof at how close Reagle and Zaza were.

“Umm…” Zaza blushed and stepped back slightly from Reagle.

Reagle’s brows were raised. “Wow, that’s awesome. Do you always talk like that?” asked Reagle.

Stares of death were shot at Reagle.

“You speak whatever that comes to mind. Insult me again and I may not be so kind.” said Zecora.

Reagle smiled back. “Forgive me, milady, I did not mean to offend.” Reagle looked up thoughtfully for a second. “I hope to be your friend.”

Zecora returned a bemused smile. “Rhyme takes time; it behooves one to think upon what they would say. This is the essence of the Shaman way.”

“Interesting, I see why you do this. Though I couldn’t keep it up on a regular basis.” said Reagle.

“It is at moments hard. But you can always play a familiar card.” said Zecora.

“Zecora, could I make use of you herb gardens? I have healing supplies to brew.” said Zaza.

“Indeed. Take as you need.”

“Also could you heal Reagle? I fear I may have broken one of his ribs. I’m not so sure of my healing abilities.” said Zaza.

Zecora nodded. “I will, but I think you should be more confident in your skill.”

Reagle followed Zecora through the palace hallways. She had a deliberate sway in her hips that made Reagle take notice. She finally led Reagle to a room; she closed the door. Reagle panned the room with his eyes and saw no exit.

Zecora’s eyes became half lidded and she sashayed towards Reagle. “I have seen how you eye my sister, it is the way lovers do. I am intrigued, I have a proposition for you.”

“Um what proposition?” said Reagle backing away.

Zecora turned around and flicked her tail. “Like what you see?” She then turned back around and faced Reagle grinning. “Would you like to be with me?”

Blood flowed to Reagle’s wing tips as his anatomy betrayed him. He forced his wings down slightly by holding them back by his claws. “Aren’t you married?!” asked Reagle.

“Is that so? No-pony need know.” said Zecora licking her lips and stepping closer.

Reagle panicked and drew his sword. “Get away!”

Zecora smirked and backed away. “It was an act of false treachery. Forgive me for testing the rumors of your lechery.”

Reagle exhaled in relief. He sheathed his sword. “That was evil. What would you have done if I had accepted?!”

“Then you would dead before we even got to bed.” said Zecora. “Prince Reagle you live to your name. You do my sister no shame.”

“Is your entire family like this? Death threats and violence?” asked Reagle.

“More so or less, I guess. It changes case to case. Let us get your bones back in place.” Zecora gave Reagle a red bottle. “Drink this healing brew, while I work on you.”

Reagle drank the cool liquid while Zecora felt his chest for irregularities. She pressed against him several times to his great agony. The pain as his rib was healed nearly winded him and the small hairline break in his beak burned as it was sealed. Towards of the session end Reagle was left sweating and panting.

“How’d you guess that I like your sister and how are you so accepting?”

“This land is filled with liars and fakes. Who is to say what form love takes?” said Zecora. “As to how I knew of what is between my sister and you. Many nights I’ve spent. I know her scent.”

“Aha.” said Reagle in realization. “Hey, what’s a good place to take Zaza on a date?”

Reagle was returned to Zaza and Zecora smiled as she waved good bye to the pair.

“Your sister is as intense as you are.” said Reagle.

“I’m glad you passed her test.” smiled Zaza.

“She’s done this sort of thing before?” asked Reagle.

“Before the war there were many suitors that wanted me. One was most charming.” said Zaza.

“As charming as me?” asked Reagle.

“Almost.” Zaza chuckled. “I nearly fell to his advance. My sister revealed his true nature.” She looked at her hoof wistfully. “He walks with a limp now. We both saw to that.” said Zaza hugging Reagle.

“Crazy family.” said Reagle to himself.

The planning room was disquietingly silent save for one Zebra. Commander Zephyr was manipulating a stick moving pieces across the board as Zaza and Reagle joined the rest of the officers.

“We should reinforce the city of Arebo. The units led by Zaeed will spearhead this.” said Commander Zephyr.

The Zebra officers nodded solemnly.

“An expedition force should be organized to aid Zanbar. Commander Zeban’s troops should join up with this force.”

Again the Zebra officers murmured in false agreement.

Zaza moved next to Isara. “The cities he speaks have fallen to siege months ago. The there are no armies left beyond the Sand Sea. The only troops left are small garrisons based in villages and isolated pockets. The commanders he’s assigning roles to are dead.”

The one eyed Ibex whispered in Zaza’s ear. Isara spoke sadly. “I told him the same moments ago. He has been like this for a half and hour.”

“What is he doing?” asked Reagle softly. “Has he gone mad?”

Zephyr continued moving pieces on the board. Zecora hung next to him tears trickling from her eyes.

Zaza walked angrily towards to Zephyr. He gave a broken smile. “Ah, Commander Zaza, perhaps you can lead the expedition force?”

Zaza looked at the table of the map of the regions beyond the Sand Sea. She jumped unto the table and with a hoof swept the table clean of the toy military pieces. She towered above Zephyr as the he staggered backwards falling down.

“What are you doing?!” stammered Zephyr.

Zaza shouted angrily. “You are Commander Zephyr, ‘The West Wind’. You won the only air battle against the Griffins! You are legend! My brother himself said that you were the unbowed will of our people!”

The towering Zebra veteran rose to his feet. For a fleeting second it seemed his courage was restored. It was a sad sight to see Zephyr wail. “It’s hopeless then. Our people are doomed. All is lost.”

“Hope is lost only if you let it slip from your hooves. Stand tall! Come to your senses!” said Zaza.

His sanity came back bitterly. “Don’t you understand? Without armies to oppose the devil birds our city, Zericho, is next. Once that falls so does our heartland.”

“You showed it was possible to defeat their airships in the sky!” Zaza blurted out.

“You speak of my famous victory but you do not know. We had the enemy surrounded still we lost three War Balloons. The last War Balloon in a suicide run collided with the enemy airship. In open battle I expect we’d lose five to one.”

“Four.” said Reagle. “You’d only lose four to one. You could manage a three to one ratio if you could—”

Zephyr cackled madly. “It does not matter, nothing does! We haven’t the troops or materials. We’re all dead—”

A heavy hoof smack landed across Zephyr’s face. Zephyr turned to see Zecora had delivered the blow.

“Zecora.” said Zaza.

“Let him a moment’s rest. I think it is for the best. Let us speak again tomorrow. I will see to my husband’s sorrow.” Zecora exchanged a sad glance as she led her husband away.

The other Zebra officers left the planning room all with diminished spirits.

Zaza sat at a table on the balcony of the palace. She looked out as two dragons flew overhead and Reagle joined her.

“Why don’t my speeches work?” asked Zaza.

“It may be you’re too aggressive. Jumping on the table, you have a flair for the dramatic.” suggested Reagle.

“You are one to speak.” said Zaza. She trailed off sadly. “It could be Zephyr is right…”

Reagle looked for a change in subject. “Wow, dragons. I thought I’d never see one let alone two.” said Reagle.

“Dragons surely can’t be that rare in the Griffin Isles, are they?” asked Zaza.

Reagle sighed as he gave his singular answer. “Airships.”

“Oh yes, it’s something I’ve pondered. Airships and War Balloons; how did your people come to invent such things?” asked Zaza.

“Well, in the Age of Dragons our people lived in fear of the drakes. Whole armies it took to take one down. They ate us like chickens.” said Reagle.

“What happened?” asked Zaza.

“We ended the Age of Dragons. The withering cannon fire of our Warships slayed the great beasts and drove those that remained from their homes. Our more arrogant historians say they migrate because of us.” said Reagle.

“Perhaps they might have moved if you asked them, rather than just killing them.” said Zaza with a twinge of anger.

“How about manticores? Didn’t you drive them off with spears?”

“That’s different. You can speak with dragons, can’t you?”

Reagle shrugged. “It was generations ago so I don’t know. I’m surprised you got dragons to cooperate.”

“The dragons, my sister was responsible for that.” said Zaza fondly.

“This is a story I have to hear!” said Reagle.

“One day, our tribe was summoned to drive away a pair of dragons. They encroached upon the border of a village and threatened it. They hadn’t attacked yet but it was a risk that we couldn’t take. Zecora though went out and greeted them.”

“Wow, she did not fear the drakes?” asked Reagle.

“No, she strolled up to them and asked them politely to leave. It turned out, they were a mated pair and the only reason they stayed was because the male dragon’s wings were wounded from a Griffin assault. Zecora came back and told as much. Father was ready to take advantage and order our Zerkers to slay the weakened wyverns.”

“A prudent, decision.” Reagle remarked.

“Instead, Zecora stole away in the night before the attack. She had taken our camps medical supplies. In the morning she rode atop a dragon to our camp. Mom and dad nearly died from heart attacks. Our tribe changed our policy dealing with fantastic beasts after that. We saved a lot more lives.” said Zaza.

“Wow, your sister is amazing.” said Reagle.

“My sister could live in a forest of monsters and I bet they wouldn’t touch a hair on her mane. She has a healing touch. The brews she invents save lives everyday. I can only think of better battle strategies to take them. She’s worth one hundred of me.”

“Zaza, you’re worth a whole lot more to me. Remember I refused her.” said Reagle.

“I don’t feel it. Zecora has always been better, she heals. I hurt.” said Zaza sadly.

“Hey, Zaza. I want to take you out on a date.” said Reagle.

Zaza blushed. “A date?”

“You’ve never been? Didn’t you have suitors?” asked Reagle.

“My suitors never made it past my sister. I have never—”

“First time for everything.” said Reagle.

Zaza trotted backwards. “Is this not an order reversal of the courtship process?”

“You’re important to me. I don’t want you to feel any less than.”

The morning sun rose and light touched the sand compacted buildings. The city of Zericho sprung alive with commerce. Walking in the main streets, Reagle wore a hood and cloak with bandages underneath them.

“Reagle, I don’t think this is a good idea.” said Zaza walking alongside him.

“I want to see a city of yours without darkening it with my presence. If they see a Griffin they’ll just be reminded of the war.” said Reagle.

“I meant this whole excursion. It is risky of you to walk these streets.” said Zaza.

“Forget about me. This is about you.” Reagle chirped leading Zaza away.

They walked through the bazaar. Zebra traders peddled wares from across the lands. People shopped with a sense of urgency. Smiles were forced as they distracted themselves from war.

“I managed to pawn off some supplies earlier for some serious coin.” Reagle held a large purse of jingling coins.

“Huh, what did you sell to get that?” asked Zaza.

“The compass and telescope, I got from the scout. I’m surprised that manufactured goods sell for so much in your lands.” Reagle gestured to some fine silk cloth cloaks and trinkets on display near the stands. “See anything you like?”

Zaza walked past the fineries. She propped her hooves onto a window pane of a storefront. “I do!” Zaza’s eyes were alit.

“What is it?” asked Reagle.

Zaza removed herself from the window and Reagle saw that she was looking at a spear. She entered the store with the jingle of bell that hung by the doorway.

The store had many strange and exotic weapons. Battle axes, nets, glaives, and even crossbows.

“A weapon shop? You are not like most gals.” said Reagle.

“You know it.” Zaza lifted her head proudly.

“A spear? I’m helping you buy a second boyfriend?”

Zaza blushed profusely. “No!”

The mustached male Zebra shopkeeper smiled. “How can I help you?”

Zaza pointed a hoof at a full metal spear. “May I inspect that?”

“You have an excellent eye. It is the centerpiece of my entire store. That spear is retractable.”

Zaza affixed the weapon to her saddle mount. “A retractable weapon is linked. Won’t that sacrifice the integrity of the weapon?”

“Not at all. It is magically made.” smiled the shopkeeper.

The spear retracted to the size a small baton. “It responds to my will.” remarked Zaza.

“How much?” asked Reagle setting his pouch of gold coins on the table.

“If you had five times that, then maybe.” chuckled the shopkeeper.

“Argh, maybe if I had access to my treasury. Sorry Zaza.” said Reagle.

“Zaza?” questioned the shopkeeper. “Zaza Zakar?”

“Yes. Do I know you?” asked Zaza.

“No, but I know you. Your troops held off the enemy advance on Zanbar. My family was able to evacuate because of you. We owe you our lives!” said the shopkeeper bowing.

“Hey, Zaza, you have saved lives. Who says you haven’t done any good?” said Reagle.

“Saved the lives of a city she did.” the shopkeeper nodded.

Zaza smiled lightly.

“That spear, it is yours. No charge.” the shopkeeper bowed.

“I must pay you something for it. I feel guilty just taking it. You must feed your family through your business.” said Zaza humbly.

“No, I insist. The spear has a price but the lives of wife and daughter are priceless.” said the shopkeeper.

“Thank you.” Zaza bowed. “Might I ask your name?”

The shopkeeper replied. “I am Jasko.”

“Jasko, I shall speak to city guard to see if they cannot secure an armament contract with your establishment.” said Zaza.

Zaza wore smile on her face as she sported her new spear.

“This won’t do. I need to buy you something.” said Reagle scratching his head.

“I know it be the custom that males pay but…we… are anything but customary. Perhaps I should get you something. I did not know my name carried such weight.” said Zaza.

“You never used your title to get free stuff?” smirked Reagle.

“I’ve never gotten the opportunity to do so.” said Zaza.

Reagle looked at the golden rings on Zaza’s neck. He spotted a jewelry story behind her. “Here, I’ll buy you something there.” said Reagle pulling Zaza with him.

The jewelry store was filled with golden trinkets, bands, earrings, and many other curios.

A white stallion with a hat and hair braid greeted them. “Welcome.”

Reagle and Zaza nodded.

“Maybe gold earrings, like the ones of your sister.” suggested Reagle pointing to some in glass case.

“Gold earrings are for shamans. They are earned through mastery of the healing arts. Their size denotes the level.” said Zaza.

“Well then how about this?” Reagle picked up a neck ring with a green gem bead.

Zaza laughed. “That means you are promised to another. It is an engagement ring.”

“I know. That’s why I picked it up.” said Reagle smoothly.

Zaza’s eyes became wide. She smiled again. “I wear one already. I use it to ward off would be suitors.” said Zaza pointing to one of her neck rings.

“This isn’t for you to wear. The ring is for me, for you.” Reagle clicked the ring on his own neck.

Zaza’s face reddened. “I cannot accept this.”

“Sorry, it’s not your choice. I choose who I promise myself to.” smiled Reagle setting the appropriate amount of coins on the counter.

“So romantic!” the shopkeeper gasped. “Would like that gift wrapped?”

Zaza and Reagle sat facing each other at an open air restaurant. Reagle had ordered a peanut based meal. Zaza nibbled on the leafy greens of her salad while Reagle had pulled his hood up to cover himself as he pecked at his meal.

“Reagle, I feel strange around you. I feel happy. It scares me.” said Zaza.

“What’s wrong with happiness?” Reagle suggested warmly.

“The dark leopard of doubt hunts me. I fear forgetting my mission…”

“Let us face this beast together.”

“It would devour you. You do not understand… and I cannot tell you.”

“What is your mission? Tell me, maybe I’ll surprise you.”

Zaza’s eyes began tearing up. “I can’t do this. Excuse me!” She got up from her seat and broke away.

“Zaza!” cried Reagle rising up. He chased her.

“No dine and dash!” cried an angry waiter before tackling him.

Reagle’s cloak was pulled off in the struggle. The restaurant’s customers gasped.

“Here.” said Reagle, shoving coins into the waiter’s apron and he dashed after Zaza before anyone could react.

Reagle ran so quickly his bandage disguise was unwrapped by the wind. Zaza’s form disappeared in the crowds of other Zebras. He was pushed back before he could pursue her any further. A group of burly Zebras blocked his path.

A Zebra scowling pointed a hoof at Reagle. “You lost devil bird?”

“Please stand aside. I’m busy.” said Reagle.

“Too busy eating our foals, monster?” asked the scowling Zebra.

“I mean you no harm. Please let me through.” Reagle sighed.

A small mob was beginning to form.

A female Zebra on outskirts cried out. “Kill the devil bird! Vengeance for my fallen husband!”

A teenage Zebras shouted. “My older sister’s dead because of those monsters!”

“Set it with boiling tar! We don’t even need the feathers!” cried another mob member.

He was soon backed up against a wall. He looked to the sky for exit however several Zebras emerged from balconies and were ready to spear him should he try.

Reagle drew his sword hidden under his wings. “Stay back, I don’t want to hurt anyone!” He cringed as the mob encroached further, clearly undeterred by his drawn weapon.

“The crow lies! It dies!” came a shout from the mob.

A Zebra suddenly pole vaulted over the crowd.

Reagle smiled as Zaza stood at his side. There was a purple stain on her lips but Reagle, elated by her defense, ignored it. “It seems I’m always chasing you. I’m glad you came back.”

She whispered urgently. “Get behind me.” Zaza stepped in front of Reagle and calmly confronted the group. “We’ll be on our way if you fair folk will move.”

“You’re Zaza Zakar!” stammered a teenage Zebra.

The scowling Zebra spoke. “What are you doing cavorting with a devil bird?”

Zaza raised her head high and spoke. “I have fought for our people since before the war. Hear my words and know them to be true. They are not all evil. What are we; worse than them if we judge without knowing? I know it is difficult to believe but this one is true and noble.”

There were murmurs in the crowd as some mob members questioned one another and themselves.

A Zebra spat. “Your brother was killed by those beasts and yet you defend one.”

His words caused Zaza to recoil and in that small lapse, the Zebras advanced further.

“Please good people, I mean you no harm.” said Reagle nervously.

“Back away!” Zaza swiped her spear causing several mob members to jump back.

Both Reagle and Zaza faced the mob. There were too many to choose targets.

Eyes of hate and grief peered past Zaza. Reagle was reminded of their differences and that perhaps they entertained only a delusion. Against them were ordinary people; merchants, miners, bakers, and farmers, all embodying the anguish of a nation. The mob edged ever closer with spears, kitchen knives, and assorted weapons. Reason would not reach them. They would kill them both. Reagle looked at Zaza as she valiantly protected him and he stepped in front of her. Dropping his sword, he offered himself as a sacrifice upon the altar of hate.