• Published 13th May 2013
  • 13,844 Views, 57 Comments

Zig Zag Love - Akashic Brony



The mighty Griffin Kingdoms with their new War Wing airships have ventured forth to conquer their neighbors. A desperate plan is born to change the winds of war. Meanwhile a Griffin meets a Zebra.

  • ...
3
 57
 13,844

Chapter 1 The Whirlwind Prince

Whereas the nation of Equestria had advanced in sorcery, the Griffin Kingdoms progressed in technology. An age was ended when the dreaded dragons’ flame was bested by the greater cannons’ fire, thus the lizard lords lost their dominion to the United Griffin Kingdoms. The victors, Griffin-kind, embarked upon the enterprise of empire. Gold and glory gleaming in their eyes, they set forth to conquer a continent, Zebrika.

Countering the invasion, the Zebra people summoned forth their greatest warriors, the Zerkers. Incapable of feeling pain, the Zerkers’ bravery was legendary. With martial might they had done what was thought to be impossible. Throwing themselves into the fires of the conflict, for a time they stalled the enemy’s encroach.

It is a decade into the war, the blood of Zerker’s is spent and spirit burnt up. Now Griffin airships cast their shadows over half of Zebra lands, poised to take the territory remaining beyond the Sand Sea. Driven to despair, the Zebra Confederation launches their most desperate plan yet.

The sun baked the yellowed grass of the plains. The grass was trampled under the hooves of a marching army. At first they appeared like regular ponies, however their coats were touched by bands of light and darkness. The striped Zebras assembling the wooden pole pieces together by ropes and pulleys finished erecting the last of their war machines.

They were led by one of their own, donned in golden armor that glistened in the sun. She turned toward her army. “Those walls are not to repel us but to trap our brothers and sisters therein! Tear down the symbol of people's oppression! Liberation!”

With a wave of her hoof, the arms of a hundred catapults swung into action.

A city is under siege. Griffin troops ran along the walls. Black spheres pelted at the walls. As the orbs sunk into the earthen works, they exploded, blasting apart the walls and the Griffins that attended them. Shrill shrieks and caws could be heard as the hybrid birds died. The Griffins that survived the barrage retaliated with meager cannonade and crossbow fire. At the highest keep of the city palace fortress, the desperate situation is surveyed.

“Commander Ironbeak, the city is lost, we must evacuate before we are overrun!” cried a tan-feathered female Griffin officer.

A brown feathered Griffin with a dark head and silver cape spoke. “No! It will not be known that it was here, and under my command, that the Griffin Kingdoms' advance was thwarted. I will not lose to savages!” He gripped his beak in dismay. “What will I do? I can’t fail… not again.”

Soaring through the skies above were two great metal ships. Emblazoned on each of their hulls was the sigil of the Griffin Kingdoms, a golden hawk wreathed in a dark circle of feathers. One of the airships docked upon the top tower of the city’s battlements while the second ship circled, covering the first. A white headed and brown feathered Griffin with a flowing red cape walked down the boarding ramp.

Ironbeak exhaled in relief. “Thank Odin, you've arrived. Prince Reagle, the savages encroach! Have you brought only two War Wings?”

“Cousin Ironbeak, why have the Zebras have come so far? You were supposed to hold them outside the city, not hide behind the city walls.” Reagle looked downwards at his cousin.

Ironbeak shuffled, touching his claws nervously. “Prince Reagle, we were up against Zebra Zerkers. They feel no pain in combat.”

Reagle looked through a spyglass provided by an attendant. He saw the Zebra war works and catapults. He noticed the line of infantry had red banners but were not assembled in formation. Reagle looked to see that a group of Zebras had scattered from a single stray cannon shot.

“Cousin, you've been had.” Reagle chuckled. “These aren't the infamous Zebra Zerkers. Their battle lines aren't organized. Nor do real Zerkers scatter from cannon fire.”

Ironbeak scratched his beak in embarrassment.

“Come cousin, we have a battle to win!” said Reagle jubilantly.

Zebras galloped away as bombs exploded in front of them. The shadow of the two griffin War Wings darkened the ground with smaller war balloons trailing after them. Zebras engineers tried to dismantle their siege engines, carrying the pieces away. They abandoned the effort when the shadows of the War Wings were cast upon them. The wooden catapults were blown apart in a rain of splinters.

A Zebra mare in golden armor shouted motioning with her hooves. “Withdraw, we live to fight another day!” She spat angrily as she stared upwards at the sky and the airship. “We almost had them…”

Overhead, aboard the bridge of Reagle's War Wing, the scattering Zebra troops were observed as tiny dots on the land.

“Haha, cowards, they’re running. We've won!” chirped Ironbeak.

Reagle was far more reserved. “They use hit and run tactics. They've done their damage. Their Commander is smart.” Reagle pointed to some Zebras disassembling a catapult. The Zebras carried between them the large wooden beams and parts. “You see their siege weapons are portable.”

Ironbeak sneered. “So we just let them go?!”

“No, not this day.” said Reagle, smiling.

As the Zebras retreated towards the horizon, a cloud front dispersed from which four more War Wings emerged. The Zebra infantry stopped as they gaped at their change in fortune. The War Wings spread out and formed a wall of fire as they bombed the sand and soil.

A Zebra lieutenant with an eyepatch trotted over to his Commander. “They have surrounded us and cut off our escape. What will we do now”

Another Zebra warrior spoke up. “We fight to death like the brave Zulu Zakar!”

“We are with you, Commander!” voices cried in the ranks.

“Liberation or death!” shouted a voice.

“Give the order!” screamed another.

The Commander in golden armor, her voice quivering as she spoke to her expectant soldiers. “I cannot ask you to or bear to see more of people die. My orders stand! The enemy has us, this will not be a fight but a slaughter if we resist them now. Live to fight another day. We will surrender.”

“How is this possible?” asked Ironbeak.

“Lazy, you've come to rely too much on our unnatural advantages and have forgotten we can manipulate the clouds. It's in the classic war manuals,”said Reagle proudly.

“I thought you only had two War wings under your personal command. Where did you muster the others?” asked Ironbeak.

“Oh, those belong to my father,” said Reagle proudly.

“King Hawkmor is here!?” cried Ironbeak, aghast.

Two War Wings docked, and a Griffin who towered over the tallest of them stepped across the boarding bridge. Such extreme was the height of the Griffin that he was forced to lower his head to pass the doorway. As he entered the other War Wing, Prince Reagle and Ironbeak bowed.

“Reagle!” said the large Griffin, heartily hugging his smaller son. His claws were massive.

“Father!” chirped Reagle warmly as he squirmed under the choking hug.

King Hawkmor released Reagle. “A splendid victory son, using the clouds to hide our ship! I almost wanted to be on the ground see the look on those Zerkers' faces.”

“Cousin Ironbeak was mistaken, those weren't the famous Zerkers that defeated Lord Helmsford,” said Reagle modestly.

“Don't be so humble, son. We've captured so many of them without so much as a feather ruffled! We must party to celebrate!” chuckled King Hawkmor. King Hawkmor then turned to Ironbeak with a grimace. “You however, will not be joining the celebrations. Letting the enemy come so close, and set up siege no less!” Hawkmor poked a claw at Ironbeak's head.

Ironbeak bowed. “Forgive me, my liege.”

“It wasn't all his fault, he thought he was up against Zerkers,” said Reagle in defense of his cousin.

Hawkmor relented. “Alright then, Ironbeak you will permitted to join the festivities-”

Ironbeak looked upwards with a small glint of hope in his eyes.

“-as a drinks server! Hohohohoho!” Hawkmor laughed.

The herd of Zebras were surrounded by Griffin soldiers with crossbows. A War Wing above them had their bomb bay doors open as insurance.

“Drop your weapons! Surrender without resistance or be destroyed!” shouted a Griffin officer with tan feather colors.

The Zebra infantry dropped their spears to the ground, even those spears with white flags tied to them.

“Now, bring forth the Commander of your rabble!” shouted the Griffin officer directing with her crossbow.

The Zebra Commander was about to stand up before she was pushed down and hidden by a squad of her own soldiers.

“Please Commander, you mustn't reveal yourself. Give me your armor so that you can live,” said the zebra with the eyepatch.

“Assegai? They'll execute you.” the Commander recoiled at the request.

“We have contacts and converts in the city, but they'll be of no help if you are identified,” said Assegai.

“Do you all accept me abandoning you?” said the Commander in a pained voice.

The Zebras that shielded her nodded.

“We shall, for now, accept our slavery and Griffin claw with docile decorum, so that the day you return, we might rise in rebellion,” spoke a smiling Zebra.

“I understand, our original mission is of greater importance,” said the Commander.

“Hurry Commander,” said Assegai, offering the Commander a common infantry helm.

The Zebra mare slipped off her golden armor.

The Griffin officer tapped her crossbow impatiently. “If the Commander does not step forward, we will execute you all.”

Assegai stepped forward in the golden armor.

“I am the Commander,” said Assegai.

“Good.” Griffin officer smirked. “Kill him!”

“I die free!” cried Assegai as crossbow bolts buffeted him.

“Assegai!” cried the Zebra mare. She was pulled by her own soldiers as tears streamed from her eyes.

In the palace grounds of the city, Griffin dignitaries and nobles chatted as they engorged themselves on appetizers. Zebra servants walked the halls, catering to the event. Reagle opened a side window on the grand hall. He looked about and sighed when it seemed safe. Stepping in, his entrance into the banquet hall was not unnoticed.

“There he is! Reagle, The Whirlwind Prince!” the shrill cries of a dozen female Griffins greeted the young prince with their wings popped out. Reagle was instantly swarmed by the bundles of feathers.

“Prince Reagle, tell us of your conquest of those savages?!” chirped a white feather female Griffin.

“Was the battle bloody?!” asked a tan Griffin with dark head feathers.

“Can I touch your wings?!” cried another grey Griffin female.

“Please ladies!” said Reagle backing away slowly.

A single Griffin shoved them all aside with a sweep of her wings. “Back away! He's mine!” Like Reagle, the female griffin was an idealized version her race; with her white head and brown feathered body.

“Gilda!” Reagle cried as he was tugged away by her strong claws.

Reagle was lead by Gilda to a drinking fountain. Gilda coughed, gesturing with her eyes to some glasses. Reagle nodded at the hint, taking a bottle and pouring drinks for the two of them.

“So I heard what you did up there, not bad,” said Gilda.

“Yeah, Gilda. It was nothing,” said Reagle, rubbing his head in embarrassment.

“You should be at the helm. You'd end this war in ten second flat.” Gilda smirked.

“Hey, dad's not bad,” said Reagle.

“Be more ambitious,” said Gilda.

Reagle brow raised upwards. “Are you suggesting that I-”

“Hey, no one's suggesting anything. I'm just saying that I'd like to be Queen before my feathers start falling out,” said Gilda.

“I'm not doing that,” said Reagle sternly.

Gilda noticed Reagle's rigid stance. “Hey lighten up. I was joking. That's why I like you, Mr. Loyal and Cool,” said Gilda.

Reagle relaxed a bit. “Dad's going to cover the war front for a while… Gilda, I was wondering whether we could spend some time together.”

“I'm going overseas to visit an old friend from my exchange student days,” said Gilda, folding her claws.

“I thought we could hang out,” said Reagle softly.

“We will, dude. We got the rest of our lives for that,” sighed Gilda with a minor twinge of exasperation.

“I guess I'll be seeing you then,” said Reagle, touching his claws nervously.

Gilda pulled Reagle close by the neck scruff feathers. “Don't you dare cheat on me or I'll clip your wings!” said Gilda, poking Reagle in the chest with her claws. Gilda pecked Reagle with a forceful kiss before shoving him backwards and storming off with a satisfied smile.

“I wouldn't dream of it!” smiled Reagle.

Reagle walked about the party grounds, trying to hide behind food and ice sculptures. Looking over to where his father stood, King Hawkmor was surrounded by dignitaries that feigned laughter at the King's antics and jokes. Zebra servers walked about with drink trays, and Reagle frowned at the shackles on the Zebras’ legs. Hiding behind an ice sculpture of his father, he noticed a drinks tray dangling in front of him. Reagle grabbed a drink from a tray then noticed that his server was a Griffin.

“Cousin!” chirped Reagle.

“Reagle!” Ironbeak jumped up, tipping the drinks tray on himself.

The clattering tray and shattering glass attracted everyones' attention. Nobles were giggling behind cuffed claws while Ironbeak sat in shame.

Ironbeak spoke. “You bird brain! I didn't want to be noticed!” Ironbeak's feathers were soaked. The center of ridicule, Ironbeak hid his face behind his claws.

The laughing stopped when Reagle grabbed a drinks tray from a Zebra servant. He took the glasses splashing them on himself, one by one. The room became silent.

“Refreshing!” shouted Reagle proudly.

A female Griffin noble spilled her own drink on her person, and several others followed suit.

“Sorry, cousin. Father's sense of humor can go overboard sometimes. Here let me help you,” said Reagle, offering a claw and helping Ironbeak up.

Ironbeak scratched his beak and blinked his eyes in astonishment.

“Come, let's get cleaned up,” said Reagle.

Outside in the garden, a Zebra servant sprayed Reagle and Ironbeak with a hose. Reagle laughed as the spraying water washed the drinks from their bodies.

Ironbeak spoke. “Reagle... why?”

“They'd like to laugh at you, but they wouldn't dare laugh at me.” Reagle smiled.

“No, I mean, why did you do that?” asked Ironbeak.

“Hey, we're all one nest here. You're family, cousin,” said Reagle tapping Ironbeak's side with his claw.

“Thank you, Reagle,” said Ironbeak unable to look Reagle in the eyes.

Walking away from the party, Reagle flew about in order to further dry his body. His wings were waterproof but the rest of his body was not. He yawned as he landed on one of the palace balconies. Walking to his room, he found a Zebra servant waiting for him.

“Hey, I didn't order room service,” said Reagle.

“Prince Reagle, a gift from Ironbeak, his compliments for the defense of the city.” the Zebra servant said as he opened the door.

Reagle stepped in. Sitting on the bed in Reagle's room, was a Zebra mare. Wrapped around her chest was a big bow like a present. Reagle blushed however he looked sadly at the manacles on her forelegs.

The Zebra servant tossed Reagle a key. “Enjoy.” The Zebra servant smirked as he walked off.

Reagle stood in the center of the moonlit room, staring at the Zebra half bathed in shadow and her own stripes.

Reagle rubbed his forehead. “Very tasteful cousin.”

“I'm all yours, my Prince,” said the Zebra mare, turning and allowing Reagle to see her back.

“No, thank you,” said Reagle.

“What?” said the Zebra mare, disbelief entering her voice. She tried once more in a more seductive tone. “I hear you like conquering Zebra lands. How about conquering me?” She batted her eyelashes.

Reagle's wings stiffened at the actions, but he walked backwards. “Umm, no.”

“Do you prefer males?” The Zebra mare flicked her tail in slight frustration.

Reagle gulped then composed himself by adjusting his cape collar. “No it's not that.”

The Zebra mare mumbled to herself. “The reports said he was positively lecherous.” The Zebra redoubled her efforts. She flicked her tail and spoke demurely. “I live to serve, anything you desire.”

Reagle scratched his head feathers. Walking close, he noticed puffy bags under the of the Zebra mare. There was a tiny glint on her cheeks of recent moisture. “Have you been crying?” said Reagle tenderly.

The mare recoiled at Reagle's observation. “I…,” said the Zebra mare gasping.

“Did they hurt you and force you to do this?! You can tell me,” said Reagle sternly.

The Zebra turned her body towards Reagle. “Don't you Griffins wish to make slaves of us all? Is that not why you advance your forces into our land?”

“I don't believe in the institution of slavery. It's not right.” said Reagle, angrily gripping his claws. “I'm sorry for what they have done to you. I'll see justice done to them.” Reagle said as he bowed. Reagle took the key in his claws and spoke in a kind voice. “Look, I'm going to set you free. Please hold still,” He said as he approached the mare.

As he got closer, he was too late to notice that her shackles weren’t locked.

She drew a knife from the folds of the bowtie and pounced. Reagle reacted, assuming a battle stance and grabbed her forelegs with his claws. She smiled around the dagger in her mouth and muscles rippled beneath her coat as she forced Reagle onto the ground.

“You're strong!” remarked Reagle with the knife nearly to his throat.

“You're weak,” grinned the Zebra mare.

“Is that so?!” Reagle propped his wings on the floor and pushed the Zebra off of him.

Reagle smirked, drawing a dagger from a holster hidden beneath his wings “So the Zebra Tribal Confederation sends an assassin, which tribe?” asked Reagle.

“I owe you no answer,” said the Zebra as she lunged.

Reagle readied himself, however the mare slammed him against the wall. His free claw was pinned by a powerful hoof. Reagle looked down to see his bodkin embed itself into the Zebra mare's leg. “You would sacrifice a limb to take my life?” said Reagle, choking with the Zebra's dagger held to his throat.

“Don't struggle,” said the Zebra.

“You underestimate pain!” Reagle twisted the dagger in her leg, cutting muscles and tendons.

The Zebra snorted, unimpressed. “You underestimate me. Is that all?” said the Zebra staring Reagle down.

“You don't feel any pain! A Zerker?!” Reagle gasped as he realized his opponent had him.

The zebra mare drew another object hidden by the bow strapped to her chest. It was a syringe. The needle was plunged into Reagle's neck and a strange liquid entered his body. He immediately felt woozy and the room began to spin as the mare released him onto the ground.

“Zaza, are you done yet? The guards won’t remain drugged for much longer said a voice.

“It is done,” said the Zebra mare.

Author's Note:

Three more chapters are already in production with some more planned. I'm not sure whether to go on. Please Like Zig Zag Love if you wanna see more of Reagle and Zaza.