• Published 13th May 2013
  • 1,125 Views, 27 Comments

Just As I Once Was - Matthias Ramsey



The time has come for Princess Twilight to select an apprentice.

  • ...
5
 27
 1,125

Interlude: A Quiet Evening

Twilight was a miserable wreck.
Every day she taught these foals, she came home feeling ten times heavier than when she'd left. She knew why: every day she taught them, she felt like she was lying to them, even though the only lies she had told were those on the first day. It's as if they were getting better while she was getting worse.
She wound up crying almost every night, and in recent weeks had even started crying in class if she got frustrated or despondent.
She slammed her hooves on the table. "That's it. I have to do something about this." She picked up the phone and dialed a number she hadn't dialed in years, not since she was...fifteen, maybe?
The phone was picked up on the third ring.
"Hello?"
"It's me. I...I really need some help."



Twenty minutes passed, and a knock came on Twilight's door. She practically galloped to answer it.
The pony standing on the other side looked almost unrecognizable to Twilight, but even though it had been eight years since she last saw this pony, she remembered.
"Winesap..."
The off-white earth pony smiled. A loose russet mane hung free about her shoulders, flowing out from under a weather-beaten ten-gallon hat.
"How're ya doin', Twi? Yer a wreck."
"Very much so, Winesap. Come on in, I'll tell you."