• Published 24th Jun 2013
  • 3,422 Views, 28 Comments

The Queen Beckons - AlicornPriest



Night Mare Moon tempts Twilight against the Princess whom she loves.

  • ...
9
 28
 3,422

Part 4: Broken Masks

1.

Black Nova runs on the pathway down the mountain towards Ponyville. Things are changing rapidly for her, and she is not sure what is happening all around her. For the moment, all she knows is that the tools to free her mistress reside somewhere in that town by the Everfree Forest. Up in Canterlot, the emergency sirens break the nighttime serenity. The guards must be searching the entire city for her, under Celestia's orders to bring her to a mental institution and have her cleansed of her mistress' gifts. But she can't let herself be captured. She must keep moving. A cold wind blows down the mountain, and she holds her cape close to herself. Selene is waiting.

She passes by a tunnel being blown through the mountain. A set of tracks lead into it; Twilight recalls the plans Celestia has for a railroad system sweeping across the entire continent. But it will not be completed for at least three more years. The only paths up or down the mountain are either the sky chariots carried by the Royal Guard or the long, winding hiking path. The chariots are obviously out, so Nova continues down the path.

Eventually, the main gate to Ponyville appears before her. The night is long, but Black Nova finds that she is not tired. The nighttime is strengthening her, not weakening her. Unfortunately, the majority of the citizenry must be asleep at such a late time. But so much the better; there will be no one to get in her way. She heads through the town to get a grip on the lay of the land. A few buildings stand out to her: first, the bakery in the center of town, a garishly bright two-story building designed to look like a gingerbread house; second, the artsy boutique with a carousel façade; next, out in the distance, an apple farm spreading out across the hills; off by the outskirts, the constant presence of the Everfree Forest; and finally, a huge tree turned into a library. Each place represents a place of interest, but it is the library which immediately draws Nova. Knowledge in a concentrated place, organized and orderly. If there is anywhere that will be the most help to her, it will be there.

The lights are off in the library. Nova slips in through a crack in the door and begins to search through the wide selection of books. She has no idea where to start. The magic section contains many powerful spells, but none strong enough for her needs. The history section holds quite a bit of information about Ponyville and its foundation, but nothing about the Elements of Harmony or any other latent magic that can help her.

As Nova searches through the library, she hears the slow plod of hoofsteps descending the staircase. She tries to look for a hiding place, but the pony appears in the main room before she can even move. It is an old stallion, a weary-looking geezer who stares at her through coke-bottle glasses and who wears a permanent scowl.

“Who are you, and what are you doing in my library?” the old stallion asks. Nova tries to explain herself, but the old stallion is angry, and his volume builds, cutting her off. “It's the middle of the night! If you want a book, you'll have to come in the morning! Unless... you're a thief!”

“I'm not a thief!” Nova shouts back.

The old stallion waddles up to her and smacks her with his cane. “Get out, right now, before I call the cops!”

“All right, all right, I'm sorry.” She heads towards the door, but she catches with her keen hearing that his breathing is irregular—not the quicker rhythm of exertion, but a painful off-beat. She turns back just in time to see him collapse onto the floor.

Her magic kicks in before her mind does. In a rush, she pours healing mana into the old stallion's body. It seems ineffective, though; whether that is due to her new body's propensity away from healing or the old stallion's resistance to it, she cannot tell. She runs to his side and checks his vital signs. Still that irregular breathing, and his pulse is fading. Nova calls out into the night, “Help! Please, a doctor!” At this point, it matters not if she is captured, so long as the stallion makes it through the night. She puts her forehooves to his chest and begins to push against his ribcage. She does this for as long as she can, then breaths once, twice into his lungs. He does not move, though, as Nova notes, he is not worsening, at least. She continues her technique for what seems an eternity until a small team of medical ponies arrives at the scene. The leader, a white mare with a rose-colored mane, thanks her and takes over for her. Nova gratefully stands aside.

A few other ponies rubberneck just inside the door. Black Nova picks one, a cream-colored earth pony with a two-tone mane, to go over to and introduce herself. The earth pony mare speaks first, saying, “That was quite impressive, stranger.”

“I couldn't just let him die,” Nova replies.

“Not that. I heard you shouting all the way across town!” the other mare says. She grins, and Nova chuckles, embarrassed. The mare continues, “No, but seriously, I'm glad you were there to save Mr. Script. His heart hasn't been very strong recently. If you hadn't been there he could have, well...” Suddenly, she seems uncomfortable, as though she can't say the word.

“Don't worry about that,” Nova says. “He's still alive, and that's what counts.”

“If he's all right, I'm going back to bed. You should come by my shop tomorrow; ask for Bon Bon.”

“Will do.” Before Bon Bon leaves, Nova adds, “Oh, my name is, uh, Black Nova.” It is the first time she's given her new name to anypony; will she believe it?

“Glad to meet you, Nova. 'Night!”

“Ma'am?” The white mare calls Nova back over to where Mr. Script is lying. “Good work with the first aid. For our records, could you tell us your name, when you found Mr. Script like this, and what you did afterwards?”

Nova's throat turns dry. “My name is Black Nova, and I was walking by the library about 25 minutes ago when I heard Mr. Script cry out and hit the ground with a thud. I used magic to wink into the library, then performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation until paramedics arrived.” She smiles awkwardly.

The other mare nods. “Good. That agrees with Mr. Script's account. Thank you, that'll be all we need.”

When the mare turns away to review her forms, Nova drops to her knees and whispers to Mr. Script, “Why did you cover for me? Why didn't you tell them I snuck in?”

He chuckles, but it fades into coughing and groaning. Eventually, he says, “Thieves don't try to save their target's life. I figure you must be a good pony to do something like that.” That should have been reassuring, but Nova only feels empty. Mr. Script continues, “You're new to Ponyville, right? If you'd like, you can stay here for the rest of the night. Then you can look at all the books you need.”

“That's very generous of you, but I—”

“Did somepony say, 'New to Ponyville?'” A voice that can only be described as a “chirrup” speaks right next to Nova's head. She jumps back and looks at the offender: a bright pink mare with a ridiculously frizzy mane. Her cutie mark is a cluster of balloons, so it is clear this pony's talent is something to do with joy and laughter. Nova, however, only finds her annoying.

“Yes, I am new to Ponyville, but—”

“That's super-awesome-terrific! I just moved in a few months ago, but I'm learning everything about everypony in Ponyville: name, age, talent, birthday, favorite color, favorite food, favorite breakfast food, favorite activity, hobbies, likes, dislikes, what time they eat, sleep, wake up, go to work, secret fears, secret wishes, secret crushes, secret secrets, everything! And since you're currently in Ponyville, that means I need to know everything about you, too! Ooh! Or we could save that for your party!”

“My party?” Nova asks.

“Your party! Whenever someone new moves to Ponyville, I throw them a party so that they can make new friends and feel right at home! So when can I pencil you in for?”

“Look, I'm not staying long...”

“Pinkie Pie!”

“Pinkie Pie. I'm here for a... research project on the Elements of Harmony. I don't particularly need parties or friends at the moment.” It irks her that, even here, she cannot escape the constant friend-making.

“Hmm... Nope! Don't know anything about the Elements of Harmony.”

“Drat.” Nova searches for something else to ask. “Well, then, would you by chance know anything about sidereal creatures?”

“I believe I can help with that, darling,” another pony interrupts. She is a unicorn, and Nova recognizes the Canterlot fashion that this pony is attempting to emulate. Imperfect though it is, she is still decidedly attractive. The mare catches herself and adds, “Rarity the unicorn. And that is, I know somepony who can help. Her name is Fluttershy, and she lives just outside of town, by the Everfree Forest.”

“Yes! Fluttershy knows everything about all sorts of creatures!” Pinkie says.

“Unfortunately, as her name suggests, she's extremely shy around other ponies. I'm the only pony in Ponyville she'll talk to. I'll be with her all day tomorrow, so if you wish, I could introduce you to her.”

“That would be very useful, thanks,” Nova says. Everypony here is so helpful, she thinks. If they knew what she was planning, perhaps they wouldn't be so supportive.

As the last few ponies trail out of the tree, she prepares herself for the last steps of her plan. Selene will be free soon.

2.

Celestia sits alone in her throne room and raises the sun with hardly a motion. The events of last night have worn her out greatly, physically and mentally. With her conduit shattered, her alicorn magic has been draining back into the cosmic aether, leaving her feeling the many thousands of years old she actually is. The exertion of lifting the sun is far greater than normal; she fears what will happen should she no longer be able to do her duty.

Spike pushes the door open and bows before her. “Um... Princess?” he asks. “We have a problem.”

“So you've heard. Fear not, Spike; we are looking for Twilight as quickly as we can. Her parents are already—”

“No, not that! Well, that, but this too.” He steps outside, then returns pulling Lyra Heartstrings by her tail. Physically, she seems healthy, but her attitude suggests otherwise. Her glance darts back and forth; she seems utterly panicked.

“Twilight!” Lyra cries out. “Where is she?” She pulls away from Spike and begins looking behind the tapestries in the hall.

“She's not here, Miss Heartstrings,” Celestia calls out to her. Lyra does not respond. Celestia asks Spike, “Is she... usually like this?”

“With Lyra, it's hard to tell.” They turn back to watch Lyra run about and eventually leave. After the silence, Spike murmurs, “What can we do with Twilight?”

“The guards are searching Canterlot in case she went home or is collecting supplies. She mentioned Ponyville, so perhaps she is down there. Technically, I don't have the jurisdiction to force her to come back, though, not without pressing charges on her.”

“You don't? But you're the Princess!” Spike says. “And after she broke that gem of yours, you're not going to punish her?”

Celestia shakes her head. “She's not a criminal, Spike,” she says. “She's very sick. I only want her to get better.”

“You know who we need? Cadance!” Spike says. “I'll send her a letter right now!”

“No! If anything, we need to keep Cadenza where she is. She can't interrupt her meeting with the griffon chieftain, or they may take advantage of our weakness.”

“Then what can we do?” Spike asks.

Celestia pauses. “Hmm... I hate to use drastic measures, but...”

“But what?”

“I can't force Twilight to come back to Canterlot, but if I alert the medical team at Ponyville of Twilight's... condition, they can detain her there. Then I could visit her without issue. Were I to claim that her treatment would be better served in Canterlot, we would have then have her right back at home where she belongs.”

Spike looks at her, uncertain. “I don't know... Is all that going to work?”

“I believe it will. Now, I'd like you to prepare some letters for me.”

“Got it!” He snaps to attention and pulls out a stack of parchment. “Ready when you are, Princess.”

“The first letter is for Mi Amore Cadenza. Write: 'Cadance, A situation has come up with Twilight. Do not come home. We will make sure it is settled without incident.'”

“Done!” He sends it away with his fire breath.

“Next, for Rosy Ray or Gilded Lily: 'I've attached a missive for you. You are to go to Ponyville and give it to the medical staff at Ponyville General. Do this with maximum discretion. If you see Twilight, do not engage her.' Don't send that one until I actually write the note for the medical team.”

“Right. Anything else?”

“One more. This one to the chief astrologer, White Orbit: 'With my peytral damaged, I must call on the Circle of Magi to restart the Old Ways until a new conduit can be Enchanted. I leave it to you to decide whether I remain in power during that time. I also require any magical astrological effects which pose any serious concern, especially with the moon and any neighboring stars.' That one you should send right now, Spike.”

“O-of course.” He sends the letter, but he seems shaken. “Princess, what you said in that letter... Are you gonna be all right?”

Celestia doesn't smile, thought her tone is light. “Spike, you know I do not lie—not ever. Knowing that, do you still want my answer?” Spike does not respond, so she adds, “I will say this. Everything in the letter was true, though possibly unfounded. I will require a new conduit, but I don't even know if one can be Enchanted at all. Without it, my control over the sun will fade; I may even die. Or I may not.” She pauses a moment, then slowly magicks Spike up and places him onto her back. “So, to answer your question: no, I will not be all right.”

3.

Black Nova wakes up in the morning, ready to meet with Fluttershy. She had done some research last night, to no result. She'd checked all of the H section from top to bottom, but nothing! Fluttershy, on the other hoof, seems to be a much better lead. It is Nova's hope that she can lead Nova through the Everfree Forest safely. Nova recalls her promise to Bon Bon to visit her store. That will be the first stop, she decides.

Ponyville had been quiet when Nova had arrived, and she hadn't focused overmuch on details. Now that it is day, Nova marvels at the bustle and energy in the town. It is hardly the sleepy one-horse town the nobility of Canterlot would claim. After a few moments, Nova is quickly lost among the buildings and crowds. She passes by the gingerbread house multiple times until she finally gives up and goes inside.

By chance, Bon Bon is standing in line for muffins and donuts served by an effervescent Pinkie Pie. Nova slips next to Bon Bon and says, “Hello again, stranger.”

Bon Bon laughs. “Hello again.” Her voice seems higher pitched, more nasal. “Everything all right? You look harried.”

"Just a little. Do you think you could help me around? I'm supposed to be meeting Fluttershy later today.”

Bon Bon points to the north. “Fluttershy lives that way. But you need Rarity, right? She lives at Carousel Boutique over there.” The line moves forward, and Nova and Bon Bon slide up. “We're at Sugarcube Corner. If you need anything, you may want to talk to the mayor at Town Hall.”

“Anypony else I should be aware of?” Nova asks.

“...Well, there are the Apples down at Sweet Apple Acres. Granny Smith runs it with her grandchildren: Applejack, Big Macintosh, and Apple Bloom.”

“What about their parents? Don't they help, too?”

Bon Bon's panicked look from the night before returns. “Don't ask them about that, whatever you do.” Nova catches the implication and nods. “Let's see... if you need to talk to the weather team, their leader is a yellow-blue pegasus named Raindrops. She's nice, but between you and me, she's not a very good leader. We're always late wrapping up winter, for example. I hear the mayor's considering hiring a Cloudsdale weather technician, but I don't know anything about that. I just run a candy store.”

“No, that's fine! You've been very helpful,” Nova replies. “I feel a lot more comfortable here now.”

“That's what friends are for, right?”

Nova considers this. She had assumed friendship and the pursuit of knowledge were mutually exclusive, one at the expense of another. But could it be even marginally possible that one could supplement the other? Or perhaps that it is a facet of the other? Is friendship itself a type of magic?

Nova laughs that off. Patently ridiculous. She and Bon Bon aren't friends, only mutually beneficial to each other. Even the worst of enemies could be that. Ponyvillians must be quick to use the term, she decides, though. Better to play along. “Of course! I'm glad to have a friend like you!” Nova says, though she winces as the word leaves her tongue.

“I'm glad, too. We should hang out today. Are you busy, or...?”

“Shh!” Nova suddenly waves Bon Bon off and stares at the end of the line. There, all the way at the back, are Rosy Ray and Gilded Lily, unaware at the moment of her presence. Rosy Ray has what looks like a scroll in one of her saddlebags; from the seal on it, it appears to be extremely important.

Bon Bon follows her gaze. “Do you... know those two?”

“Yes. They're my... friends, from Canterlot. But why are they here? Why them?”

“Maybe they wanted to come here with you?” Bon Bon asks.

“They're here for me,” Nova mumbles. Of course! Celestia sent them to capture her, to keep her from reviving Selene! Or worse, they might be assassins, and the moment they see her, they will kill her stone dead! Well, not if she has anything to say about it!

“Where are you going?” Bon Bon asks, but Nova does not listen. She marches over to where the two are chatting and forces herself between the two of them.

“Hi, girls!” Nova says. She wears a crazed smile, and her head snaps back and forth like a broken clockwork doll.

The two look at each other uncertainly. Against her better judgment, Rosy Ray replies, “Twilight, are you okay?”

“I'm great, just great!” She paces around the two of them, looking to each in turn. “Actually, I wanted to play a game!”

“What kind of game, miss?” Gilded Lily asks.

“Why, a fun game!” Nova produces a glass ball out of magic. “You simply put magic into the ball until it glows. You have to match the last player's color. Do you want to try?”

“Uhh... Twilight? We can't play that. No horns, remember?” Rosy Ray taps her forehead to confirm it.

“Come now, it's easy. You must try it!” While Rosy Ray and Gilded Lily look at the ball, Nova swipes the scroll and magically reads its contents. To Ponyville General Hospital,

“What do you mean, miss? We literally can't.” I believe there is a pony in your town by the name of Twilight Sparkle.

“Silly Lily, even foals can play this!” She is currently under a very serious magical delusion and is a danger to herself and others.

“Unicorn foals, maybe. Just put this stupid ball away. Let's talk about something else.” I humbly request that you put her into medical confinement to be disenchanted.

“Please, what's going on, miss?” Yours, Princess Celestia.

Nova snaps. “Leave me alone!” Her magic flares, and the paper behind her disintegrates. Faster than sight, she creates a replica in a fraction of a second and puts it into Rosy Ray's bag. “You can't play this game, yet you think you can toy with me? How can you understand even a fraction of my thoughts? I am not a foal; I am not a plaything! Perhaps you should look to yourselves to see if you are the ones being played.”

The entire cafe is looking at her. Bon Bon in particular looks confused and embarrassed. Nova winces at the spectacle she's become, and she runs outside beyond the stares. The Everfree Forest is to her right; Canterlot to her left. As she heads to Fluttershy and her destiny, she imagines the scene that will soon take place:

Rosy Ray and Gilded Lily enter the hospital and flag down the first nurse they see. “Excuse me, ma'am?” Rosy Ray says. “We have a message from Princess Celestia.”

The nurse takes the message and reads it slowly. When she finishes, she replies, “Oh, you poor dears. We'll help you right away!”

“Thank you very much,” says Gilded Lily. Her gratitude turns to panic when the stallions in white do not exit the hospital but instead hook the two of them by the forehooves and carry them away.

“No, please! There has to be some mistake!” Rosy Ray shouts.

“No mistake, dear,” the nurse says. “It's in your instructions. 'These two ponies are terribly ill. They believe they are Princess Celestia's personal couriers, but in truth, they have no relation to the crown. Should they be found without their handlers, please escort them to a holding cell until their handlers can come find them. -Manehattan Psychiatric Facility.'”

The two of them plead and scream long after there is anypony around to hear them.

4.

Fluttershy's demeanor stems, at least in part, from a fillyhood of bullying and torment. She is thoughtful and smart, though she believes no one would appreciate it. She is charming and beautiful, though she hides behind mane and tail extensions and wears makeup to downplay it. Even beauty can be ammo to the right bully. It is odd yet somewhat apt, then, that the only pony she feels she can approach is a pony who accepts the beauty she rejects, a pony whose appearance bolsters her confidence, inspires her. But it is no surprise at all that she is terrified of the other pony before her, one who wields overwhelming, unnatural magic, a pony to whom knowledge is literal power.

Rarity, are you sure she's okay?” Fluttershy asks. She looks back into the main room, where the purple-black unicorn is idly toying with the flowerpots. “There's something... off about her.”

“Come now, Fluttershy. She just wants your advice on some creatures. I told her you could help her. Please, won't you do it for me?”

“All right. For you,” Fluttershy replies. She musters up her courage and returns to the room. “I'm so sorry for running off like that, Miss Nova,” she says.

“That's all right, Fluttershy. And please, just call me Nova,” she replies.

“R-right. Nova. You want to know about... star creatures, was it?”

“Yes, I've always loved the stories about them. A... friend of mine told me his mother met one, a deer.”

“Orion?” Fluttershy asks. “I've heard of him, too. He's supposed to be very kind and helpful. Unfortunately, I haven't met him.”

“Do you know of any others, perhaps some near here?”

“I believe there's a family of Ursas in the Everfree Forest. I don't know where exactly, but...”

“Please, take me to them!” Nova asks her. She throws herself to her knees and begs.

Fluttershy looks to Rarity for salvation. Rarity tries to step in. “Now darling, I understand you're excited, but the Everfree Forest is quite dangerous. It's a madhouse; everything runs by itself!”

“I'm not worried. If it comes to it, I have my magic to protect me. But I have total confidence in Fluttershy's ability to navigate us through!”

“I...I've only been in there a couple of times...” Flutttershy mumbles.

“That's more times than I have,” Nova insists. “If you don't, I'll just go in by myself!”

“I, er, eep!” Fluttershy retreats into a corner, her head tucked behind her wings.

“You've gone and scared her!” Rarity says. She goes to Fluttershy's side and consoles her. Nova tries to look appropriately bashful, but Rarity will have none of it. “Are you really so heartless that you must guilt-trip her like that?”

“I'm sorry. That really wasn't my intention—”

“You know full well that it was!” Rarity holds Fluttershy closer and gestures towards the door. “I believe it's high time you left, Nova.”

“No, it's okay...” To everypony's surprise, Fluttershy stands up and walks over to Black Nova. “I don't want you to go into that forest alone, so if you are going, I'm going too.”

“Are you quite sure, Fluttershy?” Rarity asks. “Don't do it if you feel you are being forced to.”

“I want to go! I want to make sure that the animals don't hurt Nova.” Or that she hurts any of them, Fluttershy mentally adds.

“Fluttershy... I'm not sure I'm comfortable going in there with he—you,” Rarity says. “Are you okay with going there on your own?”

Fluttershy looks back at Nova. She looks... not friendly, but approachable, at least. Although Nova's strange appearance and unnatural power disturb her, she says, “I think I can do it, Rarity. I really should try to make new friends, right?”

Nova pumps a hoof. “Yes! Thank you, Fluttershy. You won't regret this.”

She already does. “I-if you're ready, we could get going. The most likely place for the Ursas to live would be over by the foothills. It's not too far, a couple of hours at most. We should probably head out now, or it'll be dark when we get back.”

“Right you are. Let's go!” Together, they head out to the forest, leaving Rarity to tend the cottage and worry for her friend.

As soon as they enter the forest, Nova notes that the canopy blots out the sun, making it feel like night. Luckily, Nova's glasses help her see just fine. However, Fluttershy jumps at every tree and bush. Nova, feeling sorry for the skittish pegasus, lights her horn in a wide circle. Fluttershy jumps at this, too. “Nova, you can't use a light here! You'll attract all the monsters!”

“No, it's okay. This is a new spell I learned called 'The Hand of Glory.' We're the only creatures that can see this light.”

“'H-hand of Glory?' What does that even mean?”

“....I'm not sure, actually. That's just what it's called.”

“Oh.”

They lapse into silence again. Nova is trying to get on Fluttershy's good graces, so she asks, “Can you tell me a little more about Ursas?”

“They're large, bear-shaped creatures with starry coats. There's usually a momma bear, an Ursa Major, and a baby bear, an Ursa Minor. They're made of starstuff, but they're also extremely strong. Thankfully, they're also pretty docile, unless you wake them up from a nap or hurt their loved ones.”

“I read that they have the ability to transform into stardust and return to space. If that were true, it would be extremely helpful for my research.”

“It is, er, true, but they only do that when they're... um... killed.”

“Oh.”

Silence reigns once more. Fluttershy hazards, “You... wouldn't still do it if—”

“No, of course not, ha ha!” Nova replies.

“Good. I would hate if something bad happened.” Somehow, that comes out like a threat, to Fluttershy's surprise. Nova chooses not to respond.

After a few minutes, Fluttershy realizes that they are going around in circles. Without the mountain to guide them, they have been traveling without direction. She tells this to Nova, who immediately begins to panic. Nova says, “I might be able to use a spell to—”

“No! No more spells!” Fluttershy gestures to the forest. “We'll figure it out my way.”

Nova watches in surprise as Fluttershy walks off. She is growing on her, despite her reservations. This Fluttershy is more than she lets on: headstrong, opinionated, and, in the right environment, not afraid to speak her mind. Nova hopes that she will continue to see this side of Fluttershy in the future.

The two come to a flowing river. “Good news and bad news,” Fluttershy says. “The good news is, I know how to get to Ponyville from here.”

“The bad news?” Nova asks.

“We're way off-course. I don't think we can get to the Ursa caves and back before sundown.”

“Hmmm...” Nova wants to find the Ursas quickly. If she does not, she may miss her opportunity. “Which way to the caves?” she asks.

Fluttershy points, but adds, “Ponyville is the other way entirely. B-but you can't stay in the forest overnight! How will you survive?”

“I'll climb a tree, find a shelter, dig a hole. I'll make it up as I go along.”

“B-but...”

“Don't worry about me.” Nova places a hoof on Fluttershy's shoulder and smiles. “You've been very helpful to me, getting me this far. And you've been speaking with me! I think that means we're friends, right?”

Fluttershy is starry-eyed. “Yes. We are friends, aren't we?” She nods and heads down the river a ways, then turns back. “Be careful, all right? Come back in one piece!” She goes a little further, then says again, “And don't hurt those Ursas!”

“I won't!” Nova calls back. She watches with a smile as Fluttershy vanishes into the forest. A funny mare, she thinks, but a good mare. She shrugs and crosses the river. Before she looks for the Ursas, she decides to find somewhere that would keep her safe for the night.

She finds it in a huge ruined castle not far from the river. What such a castle is doing out in the middle of an evil forest, Black Nova has no idea. Whatever its history, it will do for the night. Finding a secluded part in the antechamber, she lays her cape down and commands it into the shape of a sleeping bag. With that, she heads out into the forest to find her Ursas.

She did not expect to travel this far. Within minutes, she is already lost. Every tree is exactly the same, every rock identical. Ever persistent, she trudges on and on until she feels the sun setting. Fluttershy had warned her about the dangers in the forest, but only now is that threat revealing itself to her. All around her, she can hear the snarling and growling of monsters watching her, waiting for her to open a weakness. She remembers her plans and tries to dig a hole in the ground, but the dirt is too heavy and too tightly packed. She winks into the trees next and sprawls out across the branches. Finally, the sun sets, and the monsters make themselves known: manticores, leonine forms with fierce scorpion tails; cragadiles, rocky creatures that lurk in shallow water; owlbears, horrifying chimeras of unknown origin; and timberwolves, dark spirits that animate bits and pieces of wood into lupine simulacra. All strong and dangerous, but worst of all, most of them can climb.

Black Nova repels them with her magic, but there are far too many of them, and she is rapidly running out of strength. Just as her shield spells begins to flicker, a bright light washes over the surroundings, and the monsters flee. When Nova opens her eyes, she beholds a large deer, its coat a patchwork of stars. At his waist is a pattern of three bright stars. Nova breathes, “Orion.”

He nods and, with a soft white glow, lifts Nova gently to the ground. The forest is quiet and peaceful, like a dreamless sleep. Orion speaks, his voice a calm basso: “You are lost.”

Nova dusts herself off and grins. “I guess I am. Are you here to help me?”

Orion nods again. “Follow me.” He turns and walks; behind him, a trail of starlight drifts to point the way. Nova walks in this wake, a new wonder in her eyes.

They walk like this for quite a while until the castle reappears in the distance. To Nova's surprise, however, Orion turns away and instead leads her down a long staircase carved into the cliffside. There, in a grotto surrounded by writhing black vines, is a silvery tree. Nova looks at the branches, each dazzling in its own right. Yet within each branch is an empty hole where something is meant to be affixed. Nova asks, “What is this?”

“The Tree of Harmony. The source of the Elements of Harmony.”

“But... if they're not here, where are they?”

“I do not know. That is not why I brought you here.” Orion steps close to Nova and lays a hoof on her shoulder. “When I said you were lost, I did not mean within the forest. Your mind is lost, confused, uncertain. Am I wrong?”

“I... I don't know. I'm just trying to do the right thing, and I thought the Elements of Harmony could help me.”

“They still can.” He gestures to each of the empty holes. “You see, each one represents a different value: Honesty, Kindness, Laughter, Generosity, and Loyalty.” Having completed a circle, Orion points to the center of the tree. Nova notes that the pattern matches her cutie mark exactly. “That symbol represents the Element that binds them all together: the Magic of Friendship. If you keep these six things in your heart, you keep the Elements with you as surely as if you had the gems themselves.”

Nova's mind strains against this new information. “No... No! That doesn't make any sense! Friendship isn't magic! It's a social construct, nothing more! It's unnecessary, superfluous! The Elements are ancient plenipotentiary artifacts, not namby-pamby virtues! Don't lie to me!”

“I knew a pony a long time ago who believed much as you did," Orion says. "His name was Starswirl the Bearded. Despite all of his achievements, when his time came to leave this world, he lamented that he never came to understand this magic. In spite of all of his achievements, the Elements of Harmony would never work for him. In the end, he was a failure.”

“Starswirl the Bearded was a genius, and I will follow his legacy!”

Orion looks down on her with pity. “I thought I could help you, but it seems you wish to remain lost. I'm sorry you do not understand.”

“No, you will be very helpful.” Nova smiles with a mad grin. “I meant to get an Ursa for my ritual, but it seems you're right here for me.” The chamber echos with laughter. Orion fears for his life.

5.

A letter appears next to Celestia's throne bearing the seal of White Orbit; he must be responding to the letter she had sent earlier. She opens it and reads it carefully.

My Princess,

Rest assured, you will not be required to step down while the Circle of Magi maintain the cycle of day and night. You are our beloved princess, magic or no, and we will all be praying for your swift recovery.

Unfortunately, the other topic of your letter is not so auspicious. As it happens, the moon will soon be entering the house of Pisces, where it will be involved in a major astrological event. I know you are not terribly skilled in reading the stars, so I will remind you that Pisces is the house of Undoing. I am also aware of the prophecy involving the Mare in the Moon; yes, in this case, I believe her magical prison would be broken early, and she would be able to achieve what she has always desired. At this point, I will end my letter, in the hopes that you will swiftly reply with your plan to save us from her tyranny. (Please tell me you have such a plan.)

Your constant servant,

White Orbit.

Celestia sighs. It was inevitable, she surmises. Luna may have been unable to see the love her subjects gave her, but she could always see the best plan to action, even when the concept of Night Mare Moon had wormed into her heart. Celestia had always longed for a tenth of her tactical genius; now, it is being turned against her. She wonders how it could get any worse.

Lyra bursts through the door. She has levitated around herself a collection of what seem to be random objects, all black. She staggers down the walkway; Celestia notes that her magic is also wobbly and uncontrolled. Once at Celestia's hooves, she stands stock still. “...Lyra?” Celestia asks.

“That is not my name!” Lyra shouts. The objects around her head spin more quickly around her, and she fumes at what seems to be a miniscule slight.

“What is your name, then?” Celestia asks carefully. Something is obviously terribly wrong.

“Lyrica. Twilight gave me that name. Where is Twilight?” Lyra turns melancholy, and the objects begin moving in another pattern, one Celestia eventually matches to a lopsided heart.

“She's gone, miss Heartstrings. We can't find her.”

“No, you have to find her!” Lyra grabs Celestia by the throat, but her grasp is too weak for Celestia to be hurt. “You have to find her! I need her! I need her to talk to me, I need her to call me Lyrica, I need her to love me!” She lets go and begins pacing back and forth.

“Please, you must calm down, miss Heartstrings,” Celestia says.

“Don't call me that!” Lyra screams. She throws one of the objects, a black quill, straight at Celestia, who moves her head to the side. Lyra's magic pulls it right back into orbit.

“I apologize...Lyrica.”

Lyra's face goes slack, and the objects fall to her hooves. She turns and looks to Celestia with dead eyes. “how may i serve you” Lyra—no, Lyrica—says.

“Lyrica, what has happened to you?” Celestia asks.

“i cannot say. i have been instructed to forget”

“By Twilight?”

“i dont remember”

“That's all right,” Celestia says. “What are all these things you have?”

“things for twilight” Lyrica replies. “i must return her shadows”

“Her shadows? What do you mean?”

“they live in me, in my head. i dont know what they are. thats why I am collecting these objects. they will help me understand”

Celestia looks to each in turn: a bowling ball, a quill, a coat, a burnt leaf, a set of wire-frame glasses. The glasses look disturbingly similar to the ones Twilight had been wearing. “Lyrica, which object most resembles the shadows you are trying to understand?”

Lyrica points wordlessly to the coat. Celestia's heart drops further. Twilight had been wearing a cape just like the coat last night. How could Twilight do something so terrible to this poor mare? There must be something that can be done. “Lyrica, this is not who you normally are. Can you become Lyra again?” Celestia asks.

“i can, but i will suffer”

“Suffer?”

“until the shadows are gone” Lyrica clutches her head and falls to the side.

“Lyra?” Celestia asks her.

“No... Don't call me that...” she moans.

Celestia immediately summons her magical illness staff, and they transport Lyra to a safe place. Perhaps they can find the “shadows” Lyrica described as some kind of magical contaminant. Once the doors close, she slumps into her throne, defeated. Now that she has spent time not sending White Orbit a letter, he will surely know that she has no plan for stopping Twilight from freeing Night Mare Moon. She does not have the strength to face Twilight at full power, and the Royal Guard may not be able to find her in time. It seems impossible. Celestia decides to resign herself to the possibility that she has finally failed herself and her kingdom.

Celestia hears the crack of a sonic boom nearby. A stained glass window shatters, and a form slams into the floor. Through the dust, Princess Cadance steps forward. “Where is Twilight?”

“I don't know,” Celestia tells her. “You weren't supposed to come, Cadance. You are supposed to be—”

“Enough.” Cadance looks at Celestia with contempt, the first time Celestia has ever seen such an emotion in Cadance's eyes. “I told the griffon chief that I had an end-of-the-world crisis on my hooves. Did you know that they have the same story of Night Mare Moon as we do? They call her the Night Demon. They agreed that stopping her was more important than the negotiations.”

“But I didn't—”

“Word travels fast, auntie.” Cadance shakes her head. “What have you done to her?”

“I don't know.”

“It doesn't matter. I will stop her,” Cadance says. There is a fire in her eyes, nearly like the sun itself.

“Cadance, can you even do it? This is Twilight you're talking about. I admit, that's why I have refused to do anything drastic with her. I... I thought I knew Twilight.”

Cadance pauses. “I thought I knew Twilight, too. I took care of her when she was a filly. I have a dance and a song only for her. I'm dating her brother!” Cadance pauses again, then turns and looks Celestia directly in the eye. “But she has crossed a line, and now she's threatening everything I love. Canterlot, Shining Armor, you, everything. And when somepony, anypony, threatens me and everything I love, I will not hesitate. I will find Twilight Sparkle, and, if necessary, I will kill her.”

Author's Note:

Would you believe I totally didn't plan the whole thing where Lyra went crazy? Yeah, I know. It matched up with Ophelia perfectly. Anywho, we're coming up on the final stretch. Get excited for Part 5!