• Published 6th May 2013
  • 387 Views, 2 Comments

Revelations: A dragon's tale - jimbrony



The story of a Dragon and how Equestria and its inhabitants came to be.

  • ...
 2
 387

Chapter Four

Twenty years had passed from when Flowing River died that fateful night. Black Claw’s pain had gotten better with time, but he still missed her dearly. He made sure to do everything he could to be a good dragon. He hoped Flowing River would be proud of the great dragon he was growing up to be.

Black Claw stood just a little over the height of Timber now. His wings hadn’t came in yet, but he hoped that he would get wings someday like the dragon that had gave Timber the egg.

Timber had became the chief and Black Hoof had gotten very old. Black Hoof was no where near as old as Flowing River when she had died, but Black Hoof had become very sick and thought his time was coming. He wanted to be buried next to his father, Red Heart, and that meant he wanted to die near the Everfree Forest.

Everyone was reluctant to go, but they respected Black Hoof’s wishes. Black Claw and Black Hoof had become much closer since Flowing River had passed away. Black Hoof had tried his best to teach him how distinguish what was right and what was wrong, and Black Claw had always helped Black Hoof get around troublesome terrain.

As they neared the Everfree, Timber asked, “Are you sure you want to do this Black Hoof? I know this forest has bad memories for you.” Black Hoof replied, “You are right, this forest has always been one of the most hated places that I’ve held in my heart for years. It took a life from this tribe, but it also gave a life to us as well.” Black Hoof said looking towards Black Claw.

Black Claw didn’t say anything, he just nodded his head and kept walking and guiding Black Hoof towards the Everfree.

Once there Black Hoof laid down on the ground and said, “Thank you all for granting me my final wish. I want to die here tonight, alone. You all can come by tomorrow to bury my body.” “You must be joking?” said Timber, “If you stay here alone tonight, then there will be nothing of you to bury tomorrow. Something will surely eat you.”

“Would you deny an old bison his last wish?” asked Black Hoof. “Yes, if it was absurd like yours is. The tribe will grant your wish of burying you near the Everfree, but we will not leave you here to be mauled by some creature. We will stay the night here with you.”

Black Hoof chuckled, “How about a compromise?” “I’m listening.” said Timber. “What if I allow one tribesman to stay with me? Just to make sure that nothing gobbles me up, although I don’t see what the difference is anyway.”

“Fine, but I get to pick which tribesman.” said Timber. “Deal” said Black Hoof shaking Timber’s hoof. “Well who do you choose, oh wise and powerful chief?” asked Black Hoof, “Black Claw will be your lookout for the night.” said Timber and he began to leave. “Come along, let’s leave these two alone for now.” Timber said to his tribe and they began to follow.

Black Hoof sighed and asked, “Do you mind starting a campfire boy? I’d like to be warm when I go.” Black Claw nodded and starting into the forest to gather kindling. He was going to have a long night ahead of him.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

It was the middle of the night and all Black Claw could hear was the raspy snoring of Black Hoof on the other side of the dying campfire. Black Claw was thinking about how he wished he could have met Black Hoof’s father before he was killed. From what everyone had told him Red Heart had been the greatest chief the tribe had seen in generations. He had been kind, patient and extremely brave.
ooooOOOOOOoooo

Black Claw had heard about a wolf’s howl, but had never actually heard one himself. It sent a shiver up his spine and he felt a feeling he hadn’t felt in years: fear. Black Claw stood up and walked over to Black Hoof. He started to try to shake Black Hoof awake.

“Wha- Huh?” Black Hoof asked confused waking out of a deep sleep. He realized it was just Black Claw and laid his head down asking, “What do you want boy?”

“I think I heard a wolf howl.” said Black Claw. “Good that means their close by.” said Black Hoof.

“How is that a good thing!?” yelled Black Claw while throwing up his hands in exasperation. “Look Black Claw, I know you’re scared. You’ve never seen a wolf before, and believe me, you never want to.” said Black Hoof, “I’ll understand if you want to leave, I won’t hold it against you, but if you want to stay and do as Timber wanted… well then you’ll have to get over this little fear of wolves you seem to have.”

Black Claw looked uncertain before sighing and nodding his head, “You’re right. If I’m going to protect you, then I’ve got to be brave like your father.”

Black Hoof smiled at that and said, “That’s a boy! The wolves probably won’t come out of the forest for a snack anyway.”
GRRRRR

“Or not.” said Black Hoof, turning over and acting like he was going back to sleep, “The offer still stands for me, Black Claw. If you want to run, I’m not going to stop you.” Black Claw felt like there was a hole in his stomach and he slowly turned around.

Behind him were three giant wolves, fangs bared and growling ferociously at him. Black Claw was frozen, not daring to even blink. He really wanted to run, but he knew if he did, he’d never forgive himself.

One of the wolves charged towards Black Hoof. The wolf got about five hands away from him before a black tail swatted the creature away, making it hit a nearby tree.

Black Claw had acted without even thinking. He had easily taken care of that wolf without much effort at all. His fear started to ebb, and he was filled with an entirely different feeling. Power. He felt strong in that moment, stronger than he had ever felt before in his life.

The other two wolves charged at Black Claw. He caught one by the throat with his tail and the other by the tail with his hand and threw them towards the forest. He started to run towards the three wolves to push them deeper into the forest, but stopped at the sight ahead of him.

Golden eyes. Golden eyes were everywhere in front of him. There had to be at least another 15 wolves inside the forest. Black Claw’s confidence had started to wane and he was frozen stock still.

Black Claw shook himself out of fear induced paralysis and grabbed the original three wolves by the tails and hurled them in with the others. He then started slicing tree trunks with his razor sharp claws making trees fall down in front of the wolves creating a temporary wall.

Black Claw kept this up until he didn’t have any more trees within reach. One wolf had already made it to the top of the small dam and was growling towards Black Claw. Without thinking, Black Claw raised both his fists and slammed down into the wolf hard.

Too hard it seemed. His fists had made the lone wolf go silent and had snapped some of the thinner tree trunks, sending splinters and bark everywhere. The rest of the wolves flooded through the new opening and started to jump on Black Claw, latching their teeth onto whatever they could.

Their fangs hadn’t pierced through Black Claw’s tough hide yet, but it still hurt horribly. All of the wolves had all but forgot about Black Hoof and were dog piling on top of Black Claw, dragging him down to the ground.

“You have to run Black Hoof! I can’t keep them occupied much longer.” panted Black Claw

“ARE YOU GOING TO LET THOSE FLEA INFESTED BEASTS DO YOU IN!!??” yelled Black Hoof getting up to his hooves shakily. “Do you remember what you did to that bunny all those years ago? Let that out now, Black Claw. NOW is the time to use that ferocity. NOW is the time to let loose, to be a predator. Now is the time to be a dragon.”

Black Hoof’s words hit home with Black Claw. His chest filled with confidence and he got to his knees with the pack of wolves still on him. The slants in his eyes narrowed, his tail grew black spikes, and he started to rise up onto his feet.

Some of the wolves fell off their would be meal and redoubled their efforts to find a weak spot to bring him down, every single one of them latched onto him somewhere. He pulled one wolf off and threw him away, he swatted two away with his tail, and he tried to kick one near his ankle.

They were all replaced within seconds. One wolf had bitten down on his throat and started to draw blood.

Black Claw became filled with anger and a need to survive and started thrashing about. He opened up his maw and let out a roar of pain and rage. Out of his mouth came an eerie green fire that latched onto everything around him, burning the wolves to the bone. The wolves started to yelp and flee, but Black Claw was having none of it.

He grabbed the green flaming wolves and slammed them against the ground, one after the other till he felt their bones crack underneath him. He kept this up for what felt like minutes, but was actually over two hours.

“I think you got them boy.” said Black Hoof, still standing near the fire. Black Claw paid him no mind and kept smashing the remains of the green flamed remains. “BLACK CLAW!”

His name got his attention, but it wasn’t said by Black Hoof. The sun had started to rise and the tribe was walking towards them. At the front of the crowd was Timber looking none too pleased looking towards the enraged dragon and saying, “Black Claw, thank you for protecting Black Hoof, but I think the wolves got the message. Please stop.”

Black Claw stood up, no taller than he had been before, but looking menacing with his spiked tail and his teeth bared.

A hoof was on his shoulder. Black Claw looked towards it and found Black Hoof there with a face of what looked like regret. “You got them boy, now’s the time to stop being a ferocious dragon, and to start being Black Claw the odd addition to the bison tribe.” Black Hoof said smiling.

Black Claws face softened at this and his tail started to return to normal. Black Hoof laid down and sighed, “I’m close, son. I wish I could see what you actually look like. I wish I could tell you thanks while looking you in the eyes.”

Black Hoof looked up, “I can’t do any of that, but what I can do is tell you how proud I am of what you’ve become and how sorry I am for how I acted when you were young.”

Black Hoof became silent and laid down his head on the ground. Black Claw sat down next to him and laid a hand on his back. “I do believe it’s my time, boy.” “I know” said Black Claw rubbing his hand up and down comfortingly.

The tribe started gathering around and waited with them in Black Hoof’s last moments. Black Hoof’s breathing stopped, and everyone hung their heads. “Goodbye old friend.” said Timber.

“Black Claw, could you please dig a grave?” Timber asked. Black Claw started right away and moments later he was finished. They gently lowered Black Hoof into the ground and began filling it back up.

Once done Timber asked for someone to say a few good words about him. Black Claw volunteered and said, “He was stubborn as a rock, but his heart was always in the right place. He always had the tribe’s best interest at heart, and he was a brave bison, even in his last moments. I like to think his father would be proud.” Everyone nodded their heads in agreement and began to pay their respects.

“We should get back” Timber said finally. “I’d like to stay a few more minutes. Alone.” said Black Claw. “That’s fine, we’ll be waiting.”

The tribe started to leave and Black Claw sat down next to the grave and said, “Thank you Black Hoof. If you hadn’t had yelled at me to stop acting like a weakling, I might be dead right now.”

He sat there for a few more minutes before finally getting up and heading back to the tribe. He took a few steps away from the grave and he heard a sound coming from the forest.

He looked towards where the wolf remains had been to find that the green fire had subsided and sticks were flying through the air. He stood there dumbfounded, not being able to explain what was going on.

The pieces of wood started to create something. It started at the paws and moved onto the legs. Before Black Claw knew it, he was staring at five wolves all made out of sticks, logs and whatever else was left from his rampage. The one at the front of the pack opened up its eyes and they glowed green. The same green as the fire he had wrought upon them.

The other four followed suit and all of them just stared at Black Claw. Black Claw stared back, not knowing what to do. They stared at each other for a couple minutes before four of the strange wolves turned around and started to walk into the forest. The last wolf maintained eye contact with Black Claw before rearing his head back and letting loose an strange sounding howl. It finally turned around joining its pack and was gone.

Black Claw stood there for a couple more minutes looking to where he had just witnessed wolves come back to life as more tree than wolf. He finally turned back around and headed towards the tribe. He decided not to tell the tribe about the wolves. Black Claw figured no one would believe him anyway.