• Published 5th May 2013
  • 953 Views, 40 Comments

The Master's New Life - anommalcolm



The Master's adventures continue. Begins where The Master's Redemption left off. This is a sequel. Read the first story first.

  • ...
5
 40
 953

Chapter 4 or the badass that needs therapy

Chapter 4

Three days later...

I was sitting in Twilight's writing room drawing up plans and blueprints in a notebook. I was almost finished designing a land to space defensive turret system, I just needed to calculate the optimal frequency for the particle beam to penetrate gravity-bubble based shielding.

I had already drawn schematics for anti-teleport field generators, and an astral barrier to keep psychic projection at bay. The best part is that I would not even need to introduce a new energy source. Ponies are geniuses when it comes to renewable energy. They had mastered wind and hydroelectric power decades earlier and while solar power was much younger, they were still exceedingly proficient at it. They never even used fossil fuels for anything other than a train, or cooking back when they still used coal in ovens (before they learned to harness electricity). The point is, there was a huge energy surplus which made my job a whole lot easier.

I heard voices outside as I continued my sketch on the designs.

"You can't just barge in! He's working on schematics for the princess!" Twilight informed them, however they just had to visit.

"Don't worry, darling. It'll only take a moment." The distinctively-accented voice of Rarity assured her. The door swung open.

"Yeah, Twi, chill out. Jeez, you need to liven up." A voice that could only be Rainbow added. Twilight just groaned and went back to what she was doing before.

The door swung shut. I looked up to see two, rather stern-looking, mares intent on saying something. They clearly believed it was important. I stopped writing, and gave them about, 90% of my attention. The other 10% was listening to birds singing. Rarity started.

"Things have been happening so quickly lately that we didn't get to have this chat before. Since you are working for the princess, we'll make it quick. If you do anything that harms Twilight, we will-"

"Fail so pitifully to harm me it will not even be comical." I cut her off. They thought they can pull that crap with me? I would have laughed if their sudden hostility was not so insulting.

"Hey! You think you're above us, don't you?" Rainbow looked angry. Too bad, what I had to say would hurt even more.

"No, frowning down your nose at others is Rarity's thing. I just want you to understand that I am an ancient rouge who has played the games of war and intrigue for longer than you have lived. I am way out of your league. I will not be intimidated by a pair of immature rookies." I spoke with cold confidence, and just a hint of ferocity. Rarity looked disheartened while Rainbow was just made angrier.

"Please, we beat Nightmare Moon and she was 1000 years old. What makes you so special?"

They wanted to play that card? Well, game over, first set to me.

"She spent most of her life on the moon. It's highly unlikely that she had any real experience in battle, or anything else. I do. More than she ever could even, seeing as I am a time lord." I explained, swatting away her argument like a bug. My statement seemed to surprise them, like I knew it would.

"What does that even mean? Time lord? You throw that around with your intimidating speeches, but you've never explained it to any of us. What is a time lord?" Rarity finally asked.

"I feel the passage of time. I am intimately in tune with every minute detail of time. I instinctively understand the moment I am in and how significant it is to the timeline. Most importantly, I have the right to interfere in time and the responsibility to protect the web of established events from the threat of temporal flux. The vastness of all time-space burns within my mind. If I avoid violent death, drowning, poison, and certain diseases, then I can live forever. I have genius level intelligence, and education from the most advanced civilization that ever existed. In the end, what it means to be a time lord involves concepts that ponies do not even have words for."

I said all that in a melancholy tone. I really was starting to miss Gallifrey, I longed for the chance to be among my own kind again. They seemed to pick up on my tone, even if they did not know the reason for it.

"Darling… what's wrong?" Rarity asked, now she was all concerned.

"Twilight, could you come in here for a moment?" I called her. If I was going to talk about my feelings, it was going to be with her present.

"Yes, what's wrong?" Twilight sat next to me and wrapped a foreleg around me. I had been infrequently talking out my emotional problems over the last 3 days, and she was doubling as both supportive girlfriend and therapist. OH, I really do love her.

"I was telling these two about time lords. Apparently, I was melancholy and they want to know why, so I figure I should tell you as well." I explained as I embraced her tightly.

"All right, what's bothering you?" She smiled encouragingly.

"My home world was destroyed. As far as I know, only three time lords remain. Myself, The Doctor, and The Rani. For some reason, it has taken this long for me to start feeling lonely." I finished with a sigh.

"Why would anyone destroy your people?"

"The high council was full of selfish, corrupt bastards. They initiated a plan to destroy the universe as part of a scheme to ascend to a higher plane of existence. The Doctor had to destroy the entire planet to stop them. It… was awful. It was necessary, but horrible all the same." I explained. ……………………………………….

Rainbow and Rarity hastily excused themselves when Twilight started cuddling me. I spent the next 15 minutes in what Twilight calls therapeutic snuggling. I doubt it is a legitimate therapy technique, but it always helps me feel better. In fact, by the time I got back to work, I was whistling a cheery tune which was no doubt going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Author's Note:

Credit to Cobra of England, my Editor