• Published 29th Apr 2013
  • 3,890 Views, 67 Comments

20% Sweeter - VinylWub67



On the surface, Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle are complete opposites. Maybe that's what makes them such good friends. But when Rainbow Dash begins having stronger feelings for Twilight, will she risk their friendship to pursue these feelings

  • ...
15
 67
 3,890

Chapter 1: The Best of Friends

It was summer in Equestria, and Rainbow Dash was best friends with Twilight Sparkle. These two ponies could not be more opposite. Rainbow Dash was the coolest pony in all of Ponyville, perhaps even all of Equestria, and Twilight Sparkle was a bookworm. While she did boast some of the most powerful magic since Starswirl the Bearded, that barely ranked up into Rainbow Dash's cool category. However there was a certain bond between these two that nothing could shake.

While they both enjoyed hanging out with the rest of their group of friends, Twilight and Dash often found themselves staying up at night in the top floor of the Library Twilight lived in, talking until the sun rose. It was nothing against Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rarity or Fluttershy, they were just closer to each other than the rest of the group.

One night, Pinkie Pie was throwing one of her world famous parties for no apparent reason, but in reality, that pony didn't need a reason to party. Dash was hanging out around the punch bowl, observing the crowd and attempting to exude as much cool as she possibly could. After a few glasses she decided to head out onto the dance floor for a little while. She wasn't sure how Pinkie had managed to book DJ Pon-3, but she wasn't about to pass up the opportunity to enjoy the best DJ in Equestria.

About 3 songs in, Twilight came up and tapped Dash on the shoulder. "Hey Dash, mind if I have this dance?" she said, shooting Dash a look of sarcasm and friendly wit.

Dash let out a laugh and said, "Sure, as long as you promise not to make me look like a dork."

This friendly banter was rooted at their differences, but was always in good fun. Rainbow Dash, who always liked puling pranks and playing jokes on people, was usually the initiator, but as of late, Twilight had grown accustomed to their back and forths. Dash even had a suspicion that she was starting to enjoy it.

As they danced furiously to the rhythmic beats and harsh bass drops emulating from the turntables, Twilight managed to work up quite a thirst. She nudged Dash to tell her she was taking five, and retreated to the punch bowl. That was where she found Spike, indulging in the various cakes and cookies Pinkie had prepared for the party.

"Looks like you've found heaven, Spike," Twilight said with a laugh.

"Well can you blame me? No one can resist Pinkie's party treats. Especially these gemstone cookies she made especially for me." Spike returned.

"Where on earth did she get enough gemstones to make a whole batch of cookies?"

"I'm pretty sure Rarity lent her a few in return for Pinkie modelling for a new dress for the Gala or something. I'm not entirely sure. Speaking of Rarity, have you seen her anywhere?" It was no secret to anyone in Ponyville that Spike was utterly stricken for Rarity, the fashionista of the group. He was always making excuses to help her or hang out with her.

"I think she already left. Said something about needing to get to work. The Gala is in like a month you know, and she's designing new dresses for all of us," she said.

"Well then I think I'm going to go make sure she doesn't need any help," Spike said in between mouthfuls of cookie as he ravenously finished off the plate.

As Spike left, Twilight's thoughts drifted to the Grand Galloping Gala. The most prestigious even in all of Equestria, Twilight and her friends were invited every year since Twilight was the personal student of Princess Celestia. Last year's Gala had been nothing short of a disaster, and she was hoping that her friends would behave themselves a little better this year.

Across the room, Rainbow Dash had finished dancing and had taken a seat at a table with Scootaloo. Scootaloo was a young Pegasus who admired Rainbow Dash more than anyone in Ponyville, and looked up to her as a big sister. A blank flank, she was one of the founding members of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, a group that also consisted of Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Apple Bloom's cousin Babs Seed. They were dedicated to finding their true purpose in life and finding their cutie marks, and Scootaloo believed she was destined to be as cool as Rainbow Dash one day.

Dash enjoyed hanging out with Scootaloo. It made her feel like a mentor, and she enjoyed her company. She wasn't bad for a little filly. However tonight, Scoots was being a bit insufferable.

"I'm tellin' yah Rainbow Dash, I'm gonna be able to fly as fast as you one day. Maybe I'll even be able to do a Sonic Rainboom just like you! and I'm gonna be as cool as you and-"

Rainbow Dash decided to cut her off right there with a stern "Look Scoots, don't you think you should be with the rest of the Crusaders?"

"They aren't here silly. Apple Bloom has gone to stay with Babs in Manehattan, and Sweetie Belle is at a summer program of some kind in Canterlot. Twilight helped Rarity set it up. Isn't Twilight great, Dash?"

"Yeah I guess she is a pretty cool mare," she replied.

"Well I guess if you want me to leave you alone I'll go talk to Pinkie. Or maybe I can get DJ Pon-3 to teach me how to use the turntables! Hey maybe I'm supposed to get a DJ cutie mark! That'd be pretty cool wouldn't it?" Scootaloo said very enthusiastically.

"If you say so kid," Dash replied with a smile.

As Scootaloo ran off, Rainbow Dash decided that she was extremely tired, and tried to find Twilight to let her know she was going to hit the hay. The dance floor was extremely crowded at this point, and Twilight wasn't at the punch bowl anymore. She decided to go ahead and go home. There was a big fluffy cloud with her name on it.

Author's Note:

So this is my first attempt at trying to ship two of my favorites from the Mane 6. I've only been in the fandom for a few months, but I've really gotten into it. This is also my first time writing a fan fic, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm completely open to any type of criticism, so don't hold back. Let me know what you think in the comments, and let me know if this is a story you'd like to see progressed.

-VinylWub67