• Published 28th Apr 2013
  • 2,273 Views, 37 Comments

Transitions - appelpieman



The world is in chaos. Humanity has suddenly and inexplicably been turned into various creatures from Equestria. My name is Jay Bolton and this is the story how I am now a female pegasus who can't fly.

  • ...
6
 37
 2,273

Ch 3: Questions

Chapter Three: Questions

"To save a people from themselves?" Twilight repeated slowly in a deadpan voice.
"To save a people from themselves? But... What?" A look of confusion then attached its self to Twilight's face, similar to the look of disbelief on Cadance's.

Princess Celestia then interjected. "What my dearest sisters is trying to say, is that this is no small task. What we are asking of the pair of you is almost impossible."

The looks of confusion lessening on the two younger princesses the sun princess continued. "Your task itself is to change the fate of a word and thus a people. This world is cursed with the fate that the very beings that inhabit it will destroy themselves as well as the word. We, out good conscience, cannot allow that to happen. Also the death of so many would destabilise the balance of harmony in Equestria its self."

"But how would it effect Equestria?" Cadance voiced.

"Badly." Was the response as Luna took over. "The balance of harmony is a delicate thing that must be carefully controlled throughout multiple worlds. One mistake can destroy the entire system. This has happened once before and the repercussions of that event are still around today."

"But how do we save a world?" Cadance spoke up again cutting Twilight off.

"With this the princesses shared a look. Luna then continued with a sigh. "Ideally you would enter the world assisting in stabilising the situation and then find a permanent solution. However this not the case, the very nature of the inhabitants is a problem added to the fact that the problem lies with a build up of magic.
"As you know magic is slowly used up by the inhabitants of Equestria preventing magical build-up and the associated problems such as the creation of monsters and madness. However this world lacks any magic users as well as any magical creatures that could be turned in to monsters."

A look of horror passed across the two younger alicorns in the room. Each imagining the result of a world suffering from excess magic induced insanity, a rather unusual and untreatable condition often found in those living in isolated areas, something that often results in an uncertain death (Often considered worse than death as it can result in any number of things, but guarantees death or the loss of the effected ponies identity and mind.).
After composing herself Twilight spoke up. "But that doesn't explain how we're supposed to solve the problem."

"Well that's where I come in my dear Twilight Sparkle."

---

As I regain my senses I find myself, yet again lying on the floor. Remembering the reason for being on the floor again. I decide that I need to accept that, for the meantime, I am stuck as a girl. I may not like it, want it or need it but I am a female. Getting to my feet I sigh before shaking the last remnants of sleep away, I then take notice of the rooms other occupant. Sitting a few meters away, staring intensely at the opposite wall is my flatmate Rebecca.

Moving closer I take a closer look at the lemon coloured unicorn compared to myself. Almost instantly I noticed a couple of surprising differences, the first and foremost being a difference in body structure, this consisting of me having a noticeably smaller framed as well as being slightly shorter. I also notice curiously that she actually has a cutie-mark, something I lack. This consists of a set of dark blue scales, which I guess relates to her interest in law. The only other difference I spot is the obvious addition of a horn, which when compared to the show is fairly accurate. Glancing back at my wings I make the connection that compared to pegasi in the show my wings are massive.

Blinking away my personal thoughts I try to get Rebecca's attention. "Rebecca? Hello?"

This continues for a minute or two, coupled with me waving my arms in-front of her face as well as making silly faces. Then I spy her horn and take inspiration from a certain member of the CMC. With my master plan decided on and a hiding place located, I steel myself and prepare by moving out of her direct line of vision and raising one hoof.

"Sorry about this." I say deciding to take preventive action before I give her horn a sharp tap. As I dive out the way a loud shout chases me.

"Agh! Christ! What the fuck was that?!?"

This is followed by stomping sounds as well as various muttered curse words.

After the muttering quietens I look up from my hiding place behind a pile of discarded clothes right in to the face of an incredibly pissed looking unicorn. Looking into her light blue eyes I can only compare to looking in to the face of death itself. With my rising terror I blurt out the first thing I can think off.

"Hi Becks! How you doing? GoodIhope! Gottogobuy!" I squeak before making like Rainbow Dash and trying to speed away. This lasted all of one second before I was pulled back. I found myself floating and unable to move in-front of Rebecca again, only this time her horn was actual glowing a light green. A quick glance confirmed that I was also surrounded by the same glow only coupled with a feeling I can only describe as a fuzzy pressure, something akin to being underwater if the water was made of fluff. Unfortunately this isn't very reassuring when the unicorn responsible for said magic is giving you a death glare.

"You have ten seconds to explain why you smacked me. Starting now"

O god I'm screwed. "Well you kind of zoned out and ummm..."

I started still terrified of the psycho unicorn, who in a joyous tone replied."Five. Four..."

In pure panic I shout. "You zoned out, I couldn't get a response so I smacked you on the horn! Please don't kill me!" While trying to curl up in to ball but falling due to the full body magical restraint.

"What?!? I just wanted to know why you smacked me?" Was the puzzled response my panicked shouts. Suddenly I was on the receiving end of a hug, however I was still trapped in her magic. "You idiot. I wasn't going to actually hurt you."

With my panic dissipating I found my voice again. "That may be true. But do you mind letting me go?"

"Sure!" Was the rather chipper response. My friend releasing the hug and stepping back.

"Umm. I meant the full body restraint. The hug was actually quite nice"

"Whut?" Was the rather elegant response. Sighing, I nod to the light green glow holding me an inch or two of the floor as the same glow around her horn. This results in a rather epic durp face as my friend goes cross-eyes in a attempt to look at the new addition to her forehead, her mouth open in confusion.
"The hell?" Was the reaction she had upon making the connection, consequently cancelling her magic and dumping me face first on to the floor.

---

"Jay?"

"Yes?" I stop rubbing my poor face in order to respond.

"What on earth was that?"

Looking at my friend, who was giving her horn a cross-eyed look of panic and confusion, I decided to put it in the simplest terms possible."Magic."

"Magic?"

Deadpan response and the return of the death glare. Not good. Right time to save myself. "Well you know I watch a bit of My Little Pony right?"

"Yes that's why I came to you..."

Still death glare but not as harsh. Better. "Well it seems that we have been turned in to ponies from the show."

"And..."

"Well in the show there are three different types of ponies. Unicorns such as yourself, who can do magic. Pegasi like me, who can fly and manipulate weather. And finally earth ponies who lack horns or wings and are supposedly stronger and tougher."

"How do I control it? How does it work?"

"I haven't a clue. Honestly, no idea." I reply.

"Great. I have super powers but no idea how to use them or how they work." Rebecca commented with a smile. "Any suggestions?"

"All I can say is to focus on the thing you want to move and hope for the best."

At this my friend scrunched her eyes closed, pointed her head at a conveniently discarded pair of socks and caused nothing more to happen other that a flickering around her horn. After producing some questionable noises she came to a conclusion on the nature of magic. "This is hard."

After I had stopped laughing about this stunning revelation on the nature of magic. I became aware of Rebecca's look of concentration becoming replaced with a look of suspicion. Then a she asked a question I had been fearing.

"Did you know this was going to happen?"

With a sigh I look away and reply. "No I didn't. And if I did, don't you think I would choose to become a female?" With my uncomfortable statement over I look back to see Becky midway through processing my statement. After a few seconds she replies.

"I believe you. I don't think you have, sorry, did have the balls to do something like this."

With this I launch in to a series of thank-you's only to finish processing the rest of the sentence. "Oi! Low blow there." Still touchy about my lack of masculinity being brought up.

"Sorry about that." Was the apologetic reply. "I have to ask though. Do you have any idea what could of caused this and how to change back?"
A look of desperation moving on to Beck's face, obviously desperate for a way to get back to normal. Quickly scanning my brain for anything I may have done or reasons for this to happen, I narrow it down to a rough theory.

"I may kind-of have an idea."

"Really!" A look of eager hope on my friends face.

"It's only a guess but there's a theory that multiple realities exist right? So what I'm thinking is that somehow the reality containing my little pony is leaking in to this reality, that or Discord." I take a second to rub my chin sitting on my back legs, thinking over my theory.
"Actually the Discord option seems more likely. Sounds like something he would do."

"Discord?"

I then focus back on my confused companion and reply. "Super powered 'reformed' bad guy from the show. Can supposedly alter the laws of physics. If crap like this happens in a fan fiction he is usually responsible."

"That doesn't really answer how we get back to normal."

"Well umm..." I trail off, trying to form a plan.

After a few minutes of quiet deliberation, Rebecca states in a serious tone.

"Think we need to find if this has effected anyone else first. After that we can work on getting back to normal."

"Ok. I agree that we should check. The only problem is how. My phone is dead and with the power out there is no way to get it working, same with my laptop."

"We could just always check out of the kitchen window."

With this I splutter and try to come up with a valid reason to remain hidden within my room. As I go to form each objection I subsequently dismiss it, for either being irrational or having a valid reason to be ignored.
Flatmates? Two are away, the other two are out.
Random people seeing in? We live on the second floor, no-one can look in and we face out onto the sports centre.
Cameras? None and if there were any the powers off.
Other pegasi? Kind of against the point.
Spy satellites? If satellites are involved then we're screwed in any case.
After my spluttering session I give in and offer my opinion on the matter. "Fine but we have to be quick. I know there is only four of us sharing the flat at the moment but I still don't want to bump in to anyone."

---

After a bit of mental preparation and arguing about who was to first, we made the first big step of our half-baked plan. Awkwardly pulling my door open I glance either way down the hall of the student flat. Hearing and seeing nothing I signalled Rebecca to follow me out. We creep the two meters from the doorway in to the kitchen.
The kitchen in was illuminated by the late afternoon sun peaking through the windows, light dancing of the various different empty alcohol bottles. This provides an interesting lighting effect for what can be described a typical student kitchen. A mixture of both empty and half drunk bottles of alcohol, the product of the night before, litter a few of the surfaces, a large pile of unwashed dishes sit next to the sink and a number of random posters taped to the walls. This is offset by the relatively clean fridge and freezer off to one side and a table below the window.

Trotting over to the table I realised we had a problem. The windows were way to high to look out of, thinking aloud I voice. "How are we suppose to look out?"

With a roll of her eyes my companion answered. "Prop ourselves up obviously."

"Oh."

Feeling stupid I pull myself up on to my back hooves. With this my new centre of balance is complete thrown off, my wings half opening to try and steady me. Looking down I take an clumsy step forward before putting my front hooves on the wall. Feeing my wings close I look back to examine them, only to see Rebecca rather gracelessly slam her hooves in to the wall. Giving her a look I shake my head and say with a hint of nervousness in my voice. "So... You ready to do this?"

"Yes let's." Was the determined response. With that we turned, pulled ourselves up and looked out of the window in to evening light and look out on to something completely alien and unexpected.

Author's Note:

Sorry about the long delay. Exams and other work, coupled with writers block plagued the first half of this chapter followed by my procrastination in the second. Hopefully the next chapter won't take as long.