• Published 29th Apr 2013
  • 866 Views, 16 Comments

The mission of Buzzbot - Golden Paw



The land of Equestria has flourished under the rule of the princesses with the help of prominent minds and inspired creations. Unhappy with his lot, a pony called Tinker Track makes a scheme to change this using time traveling pony-bot called Buzzbot

  • ...
5
 16
 866

Putting things right, which once were wrong.

Tinker Track just sat there dumbfounded, a slight tick in his left eye. Buzz could almost hear his mind struggling to take it all in. It was a tall tale; making friends with Discord, the Element Bearers and all the other fantastic events. If I hadn’t done it myself I don’t think even I’d believe it.

"So you failed then? I am still here, stuck in an old storage unit and T.C.A.P security will probably be here any minute to arrest me for meddling in time! You've ruined me Buzz!" Tinker's shock turned to anger. “What was his future self playing at sending him such a defective robot who’d make such a huge mess of things?”

Buzzbot couldn’t shake the image of a little colt throwing a tantrum when he didn’t get his way, "Oh Tinker, have you learnt nothing from what I have told you? Time travel really isn't your thing is it? If you were going to be in serious trouble and be arrested it would have happened by now. For you, all the consequences of my little trip would already be in effect. Just stop and think about that for a bit huh?"

Buzz quickly glanced at the clock again, I’ve been back and forth half a century, you’d think I could have timed this better. Oh well here goes, "Tinker, Princess Twilight and Pinkie Pie are going to be knocking on your door in about five minutes. It's about the T.C.A.P council. They will want an apology for the harsh things said and if you play your cards right this could be the start of something wonderful for you and lots of other ponies."

Tinker was turning a deep shade of purple and a vein was starting to throb on his forehead as Buzzbot continued, "Now I know you don't want to hear this but you need to get over your massive ego and be nice. Twilight has never had it in for you. Your ideas though good, need some refinement before they can be put into practice."

There I told him, needed to be said and I didn't want to be the pony to do it, but it's done now. Buzzbot let out a breath, not just for effect but because it felt right. Even though she knew the future Tinker Track and the great stallion he was, she still didn't fully trust all this cause and effect stuff. She could have just made the biggest error in her entire life.

He seemed to swell with rage. Buzzbot saw Tinker's eyes bulge, then he took in a huge breath and Buzz just knew what was coming. She decided that after all she’d been through she just couldn't deal with Tinker losing it.

Ah well sometimes you need to give a machine a good buck before it worked right. I was hoping we could do this the easy way. Buzzbot told herself and ignited her horn. She pressed it against Tinker Track's brow and cast the adjusted memory spell that Twilight had taught her.

Tinker Track's eyes, now slightly crossed, went even wider and his pupils grew to fill the whole eye. That was the outward effects, inside Tinker Track saw and felt Buzzbot's mission firsthoof.

He saw how Buzzbot saw the Element Bearers, the great things they did and the friends they were to his mechanical servant. He lived the first meeting with Pinkie Pie, and the massive generosity of Rarity along the loyal friendship of Rainbow dash. It all washed over him and Buzz felt his mind rebel, pause and finally bow with acceptance. He could now feel a lot of what Buzzbot felt towards these ponies.

What Tinker Track mostly gained was perspective. He saw his own actions in a new light, how stubborn he had been and how unwilling to accept Twilight's constructive advice over his own self delusions. It is a hard lesson to learn, seeing how you are truly viewed by other ponies. Twilight had been very specific, she didn’t want Buzz to rewrite Tinker’s mind, simply offer him another option and a fresh look at himself.

Buzz felt a bit cruel doing things this way. It laid bare a lot of things you didn't want to know about yourself, but also showed the things you did right. It gave Tinker a chance to see himself objectively, maybe the first time in his life. A gift and a curse all in one.

Tinker blinked a few times, his eyes crossed further before finally toppling over with a vacant expression on his face. Buzzbot closed her eyes and shook her head a little sadly, as if on cue, a knock sounded on the door to Tinker Track's 'secret' workshop. Buzz carefully stepped over the twitching Tinker, ignoring his spinning eyes and mouth half open with a little drool coming out of the corner.

"I did try to warn you silly colt, but you had to make me do it the hard way," Buzz sighed, moving to the door controls. She pulled the lever and waited as the door cycled through its opening sequence. Oh Tinker, always the dramatic. Even you doors have to show off.

Buzz waited as heavy bolts slid, cogs whirred and with final thud the door eventually began to open…..very….slowly. It was worth the wait however as Buzz finally caught sight of her friends. Princess Twilight and Pinkie Pie; one looking dubious the other radiating cheerfulness.

“"I told you, my Pinkie sense is never wrong!" Pinkie Pie, dear Pinkie, was bouncy as ever, even with the years that had passed for her. What had been mere minutes for Buzz had been years for them and even forewarned it took Buzz’s breath away to see how much older Pinkie looked. She wasn’t past her prime, but her filly years were certainly behind her.

Princess Twilight on the other hoof had simply grown into her new role. She was tall but not really in a physical sense but more in bearing. Her eyes spoke of the years, but when she caught sight of Buzz the youthful spark returned.

"Oh Buzz it's been too long, I see you made it back in more or less once piece." The Princess said in a formal tone at odds with her expression. Buzzbot bowed, but Twilight moved quickly to give her a hug, "Oh come on Buzz it's me, you know I don't like all that formal stuff, just makes me feel silly." Pinkie Pie giggled as Buzz got back to her hooves.

"The years have been good to you both. Please come in, we've been expecting you," Buzzbot said giving them an approving look. She stepped back to make room before waving and enthusiastic hoof to show them in. Twilight cocked an eyebrow at Pinkie Pie before peering back to Buzz, a suspicious expression forming as she crossed the threshold to Tinker Tracks workshop.

"Okay I give up. How did you know we would be here Buzz? I was in the middle of an important calibration when Pinkie Pie bounces into my lab (which was locked down with some very powerful spells I might add) and says it's time to go. Then when I get here I find that you have been expecting me all along." Twilight was giving the place the once over, it was hard to tell if she was impressed or just annoyed. “I admit Tinker Track has done some fantastic things with what is effectively ‘junk’.”

"Well I could tell you that I have been about a lot in time or that Pinkie and I planned this, would that help? It’s far more impressive than the truth of course," Buzzbot replied with forced playfulness. Tinker Track, still out cold on the floor, and a small mote of worry was dancing in Buzz’s chest.

She did her best to make Tinker comfortable, grabbing his pillow and sleeping bag from his make-shift bed, "He could be like this for a little while but that's fine, it gives us a chance to catch up." Please oh please just get along when you wake up.


When Tinker Track came round the first thing he heard was laughter. He looked about in confusion, his last memories floating in a haze. Buzzbot had cast a spell on him? He was in his workshop and...

Tinker saw Buzz. She was laughing and chatting with a pink earth mare and Princess Twilight! Tinker pulled the sleeping bag up to his muzzle and gave a little 'mewp' noise. This was lost over the sounds of merriment which Tinker was very thankful for. What had that conniving machine done now? Buzzbot had let Princess Twilight into his secret lab! Then the new memories flooded back.

They weren’t as overpowering as the last time, they sat neatly in his head and showed him all Buzz had learnt and done for him. He saw Twilight as the little unicorn from the past and his heart did an odd thing. Tinker felt happy about her.

After all Twilight had done to him, turning down his work and getting in his way. Tinker Track was actually glad to see Twilight Sparkle. No, she had corrected him and directed him to be better. Gah where did that thought come from? Tinker wondered. It seemed this line of reasoning wasn't done though.

The Princess had seen potential in him and been tough when needed (which with Tinker Track was far too often if he was honest with himself) and he’d thrown that correction back in her face. What’s she done to me?! These aren’t my thoughts! Why aren’t I thinking like normal? Tinker Track paused with the sudden realisation that the three other ponies were looking at him.

"I see you have awoken Tinker, please come join us," Twilight said in a voice that was friendly, but didn't match her hesitant expression.

"Hi Tinkie, Buzz was telling us all about you!" Pinkie Pie added. She at least seemed genuinely happy to see him.

Buzzbot had the good manners to look a little embarrassed at this pronouncement. She waved to a vacant seat and Tinker caught a wiff of what may have been hot chocolate. Tinker dropped the sleeping bag from his face and tried to look dignified as he arose.

"Um...I.....um...." Was all that came out of Tinker's mouth. He’d been on the verge of demanding they all leave his workshop right this moment or he would unleash the full might of it’s defences on them. Tinker looked around for his tools but sadly only saw a large mop and a bucket of tepid water in one corner.

“I took the liberty of removing any sharp objects,” Buzz added, “I didn’t know how you’d react when you woke up.”

Tinker found himself nodding and stopped himself quickly. I should be angry, no I should be furious! But…. Tinker’s thoughts were going in directions he wasn't used to. What had Buzz done to him?

Grabbing what was left of his meager supplies, Tinker thrust his mop at the three ponies, "Right, that's it. I want to know what’s going on here!? Also I want to know what you did to me you backstabbing bucket of bolts!" The three mares all sat there for a moment, then all bust out into giggles. Tinker didn't have to take this kind of treatment in his own lab.

"You're so right Buzz, he really is like that when he sleeps!" Pinkie Pie was laughing so hard she was nearly falling off her chair. Tinker glared with growing annoyance and confusion.

Buzz smiled sheepishly, "It's alright Tinker, I was just catching up with my friends. So much has happened since I last saw them and as you were a little out of it I took the opportunity to get up to speed.” She watched the mop with an amused expression, “As to what I did to you, that's a little more complicated. Nothing bad I assure you."

Tinker had just finished working out what Pinkie Pie had said, "What do I do in my sleep?!" He asked part mortified and part curious despite himself before coming back to the matter at hoof again. "No, never mind. What did you do to my head?"

Buzz sighed, “You can lead a pony to the sweet shop, but can't make him eat the candy,” She replied in a resigned manner. "I see you're not gonna drop it. I think I should let Twilight explain, she's the one that taught me the spell," Buzzbot looked to Twilight who nodded before slipping into that ‘lecture voice’ that Tinker was all too familiar with:

"Well Tinker Track, the spell I taught Buzzbot was an adaptation of a memory spell I used to help my friends during the first Discord encounter. It was first meant to help a pony recover what he or she already knew but had forgotten. But I found another book that showed how it could be used to help teach others by imparting memories and knowledge right into another pony's mind," Tinker, still pointing his mop at them, listened with a deepening frown.

"It wasn't used all that much because of the difficulty of choosing which information was passed across, ” Twilight continued. “That and a few side effects.

Tinker wilted, “Side effects?”

Twilight paused, “Well it’s hard to move such memories without a little emotional transference. Bound to happen, you get a little of the feelings behind the memories too.”

"And that crazy robot used that on me?" Tinker Track was starting to panic. That would explain the odd ways he was thinking and feeling. He was getting a little of Buzzbot's emotions stuck in his own along with Buzz's imparted memories.

Twilight gave him a patient look, "Tinker, the side effects are not to be worried about. You may have some odd feelings and thoughts for a while but that will fade. The process doesn't stop you from making your own choices or take away your free will or anything. You're still Tinker Track and always will be."

Tinker Track just snorted, “Of course you’d say that.”

"What you’ve been given is a personal version of Buzzbot's experiences. What you choose to do with them is still up to you." Twilight turned once more Buzz who shuffled in her seat, "I thought I told you to only use it if you had no other choice Buzz."

"Well he was getting all worked up and I thought he could do with some rest. Plus I knew you would be here soon and I so wanted Tinker to behave and make up with you. I....I’m sorry Twilight I just got a little carried away again." Buzzbot said in a quiet voice, her head hanging down in a submissive manner.

Tinker Track looked back and forth as these ponies casually talked about rooting around in his head. How can I trust my own judgement? He mused. Plus the question of what he did in his sleep wasn't going away. The three mare's giggles had been very off putting.

Tinker looked to Twilight who pressed on, "So the question now is what do we do? Buzz has assured me that you would want to make things right between us. I would happily discuss how to do so now, if you’re feeling up to it.”

Twilight smiled tolerantly, “But I also understand that a bit of mind dabbling would be unsettling for anypony and if you want we can discuss this later.” She looked about the workspace with a frown, “Either way, I can't leave you here in this unsanctioned work area." Twilight’s voice had taken on a regal tone, one of a ruler with her subjects.

Tinker Track wasn't sure what to do. It seemed all his plans were in ruins and his head was still spinning. Then a memory, Tinker wasn't sure if it was from Buzzbot's or his own mind surfaced once again. "The future Tinker informed me that he didn't trust you enough to be able to give me direct orders. I am however to ensure that your ideas will get approved so I will act in your best interests," echoed in his skull.

Suspicion bloomed in his heart and Tinker narrowed his eyes at Buzz, “That was your mission all along wasn’t it? You weren’t here to change my past, you were here to change me.”

Buzz coughed, “To teach you how to be a better you.”

Tinker should have been angry again, but that ‘note’ of reason twanged in his heart. If his future self didn't trust him was Tinker trustworthy? Was he as competent and bright as he thought he was? On the other hoof should he trust Buzzbot at all? Was this just some big trap set for him by T.C.A.P?

Tinker Track remembered all the wonderful things Buzzbot had found out about the Element Bearers. The sweet fillies they had been, he couldn't see Twilight letting that sort of subversive behavior happen in T.C.A.P. The more he thought about it, the more paranoid his own actions appeared. Then again, was that just what T.C.A.P wanted him to think?

Tinker Track felt the battle within. He recognised the way he’d thought before all this had happened. How lonely he was and how irrationally he’d acted. Had he been alienating himself?

He relived the times as a young colt, where the other foals had teased him, laughed at him. It was cruel as only little children can be, but now Tinker knew what laughter could be. The true expression of joy within, it didn’t have to make sense, but simply ‘be’ and feel good for it.

He saw how he’d struck out at offered assistance, a gentle hoof of support. Failing to see the love shown, blinded by his own pride and sense of self importance. He didn’t want to be seen as weak. But kindness wasn’t weakness, just strength shown in a humble way.

The more he reviewed his life, the more of Tinker’s past decisions now seemed suspect when viewed in the new light of understanding. He thought back to many times Twilight and others had come to him with reasonable insight and suggestions, generously giving him chances to change. He’d turned them away.

Tinker thought back to those times when good natured colleagues had pointed out his flaws in private. Being honest with him in an effort point Tinker in the right direction. But Tinker had shouted them away.

Trixie had pushed for Tinker to be able to join T.C.A.P, had been patient with him and had even covered the consequences his faulty designs had caused. She’d saved Tinker from the fallout of so many bad decisions and all Tinker had done was resent her for being an embarrassment to him. She understood loyalty, gained from experience and repentance.

Trixie had gone from infamous to famous, rival of Twilight to fast friend and Tinker suddenly felt the guilt well up within him. All the opportunities had been there for him and what had he done? Hidden himself away and let those hurts fester. How could he even begin to make up for what he’d done?

I was having faulty thinking.,Tinker Track realized and that fact nearly floored him as badly as the spell Buzz had cast. The thoughts I had then, they weren't what was really true, just my perception of things. This new concept pressed itself to the front of his mind, screaming for his attention. He could change, he wanted to change and if he could only...

"Tinker Track, do you have an answer to my question?" The Princess began before Pinkie Pie and Buzzbot both shushed her. They could see Tinker was having a ‘light bulb’ moment and didn't want Twilight to interrupt. Tinker Track looked up at Twilight with new eyes.

"Thank you Twilight for your offer, I think that I'd like a little time." After all he’d been through, asking for some time seemed deeply poetic, "Just to get my head around things." These revelations scared Tinker Track, mostly because of what he could have done if Buzzbot hadn't stepped in when she did and corrected his faltering course.

Buzzbot nodded, "Well I know just the place Tinker, it's a lot of fun and great for helping ponies unwind. Plus the creature who runs it is a good friend of mine who I haven't seen in far too long.” Tinker Track closed his eyes and slipped peacefully into unconsciousness, “I wonder if Discord still has that bet running?


"Twilight, what a delight it is to see you again, I knew it was only a matter of time before you would need my services!" Discord was overjoyed to see Twilight. His offices were now in a popular part of Canterlot, along with branches in all the other major towns and cities of Equestria.

The four ponies, three walking while the last one was carried in Twilight's magic, entered the Ponyville branch. Through some strange magic Discord managed to be at all the clinics at once. So they were sure to run into him here.

"So what is it in your little head that needs fixing? You're worried you're gonna turn into a bookworm for real, a Celestia complex? Oh, oh, let me guess you finally want to face your terrible childhood nightmares about magic kindergarden!" Discord went through a number of transformations to help illustrate his points. Buzzbot thought the 'Celestia complex' was particularly interesting.

Buzz wasn't at all shocked to see that Discord hadn't physically aged a bit since she last saw him, although there was a bit more of a happy look in his mad eyes. True happiness. He had a peaceful bliss about him that simply wasn't there before.

Apparently poking around in mad ponies’ heads was just what he needed and Buzz was amazed at the foresight of Celestia taking such unique steps to reform the draconequus. Twilight rolled her eyes at Discord's odd manner, but smiled all the same.

"Hello Dr. Discord, I'm fine thank you, in fact I’m here to bring a friend to see you," Twilight corrected.

"Ah wonderful Buzzbot has finally cracked! I knew she couldn't 'hack it' with that wish of hers. Tell me, has she starting throwing random parties? Oh or maybe talking to turnips and piles of rocks?" Discord had a triumphant look in his red and yellow eyes.

"Sorry Discy still 'A okay' in the noggin, but I’m glad you still care for me," Buzzbot chuckled as she replied tapping her head.

Discord looked a little crestfallen, "Oh well that's another fifty bits I owe Screwball along with twenty five for Screw Loose. Buzzbot you're gonna bankrupt me if you keep this up." He pulled two empty pockets from his hips and shook his head in lamentation.

"Plus there's still plenty of time for that later Discy," Pinkie Pie added helpfully. "Remember that Buzz has only been through a few days compared with our years," Discord nodded then returned to the reason for their visit.

"So it's for the blue one then?" He vanished in a flash and reappeared next to the unconscious Tinker Track. This time he was wearing a white doctor's lab coat, a pair of very thick glasses and a headband adorned with mirror on it. The other noticeable point was that Discord was now smaller than a parasprite.

The tiny Discord climbed into Tinker Track's left ear and soon the sound of power tools could be heard, "Awww and I was hoping for a challenge. I see you have done some work in here already Buzz, bit sloppy, no long term damage and in fact you may have done some good."

With another flash a full sized Discord was once more before them and he had a small black beard, monocle and a clip board, "Vell it seemz he haz zer case of paranoia, a touch of zer narcissism und zer light sprinklin of zer fishstickz," Discord announced in a strange accent along with a sad little shake of his head.

Buzzbot couldn't help but notice that Discord was drawing a picture, which seemed to be a grapefruit with an attached speech bubble on his clipboard before he whisked it away with a final flash of magic. A thunderclap later Discord was back to his ‘abnormal’ self.

"Well he isn't the worst pony I have seen with these problems, he won't be on my long term staff or anything. I may have to see him what, twice a month just to keep an eye on him?" Discord sighed again while one of his eyes rolled around on Tinker's back. It tumbled off, bouncing once before reappearing in its proper place in Discord's head.

Tinker Track finally came out of his latest swoon and was clearly not happy with the site that greeted him. A looming Discord with a big grin shocked Tinker into full wakefulness and he yelped before skittering backwards, “Where have you crazy mares taken me now?” Buzz winced as Tinker’s pupils shrunk to pinpoints, "D...Dis.....Discord?" Tinker Track asked.

"Just Doctor.D. if you please. I am happy to report that even though you have some background syndromes I can declare you fit for work and whatnot. There will some boring paperwork of course, but I feel confident you’re on the road to recovery," Discord waved his eagle’s claw in a general way, "Not a candle to your grandmother, though you do take after her somewhat. I guess 'meglo-mane-ia' runs in the family with blue coated ponies it seems."

Discord took on a thoughtful, "Hmmm maybe I should see Rainbow Dash about that, she has never did let me poke around in her noggin, but she does have some of the classic signs? Anyway just stamp your hoof Twilight, or whichever pony wants to sign off his treatment here." Discord snapped his fingers and a small form materialised.

Twilight raised a suspicious eyebrow, "Since when have you been one for formal paperwork Discord?" She asked and took a closer look at the form, "This isn't a treatment form Discord, it's a permission slip to fill all the roads in Canterlot with custard. Along with some very small print of how you get one day a week to force every unicorn wear a beret by royal order."

"Ooopsie," Disocrd said innocently, "That's a future application of mine, how did I mix those up?" Both Pinkie Pie and Buzz snickered as, with another flash, the form was gone. "You are of course right Princess, I never was one for paperwork. Fine, Tinker Track is fit enough not to need my special treatment and is competent to make his own decisions and so on and so forth." Discord pronounced with a bow.

"You had me committed!?" Tinker Track was trembling with shock about the whole thing.

"Not so much committed as had a consultation," Buzzbot corrected him, "You can keep doing your normal job and get better at the same time as long as you keep up the appointments."

Twilight nodded, but clearly had something else on her mind, "Buzz, you never did tell me how you knew Pinkie and I were coming over." Buzz didn’t doubt that Twilight would hound her till the ends of time about that, yet still didn’t reply right away.

Twilight continued to press her after they signed out at the main desk to 'Dr. Discords Centre for Interesting Ponies' in Ponyville, "Well Buzz?"

"Aww it's not all that interesting honest," Buzzbot waved her off. Secretly she didn't want to share how she had been given the tour of how Pinkie's mind worked. It was her little bit of know how after all.

But this was Princess Twilight Sparkle, not the unicorn of yesteryear. Buzz did kind of owe her fealty. She motioned Twilight to come closer so that only she could hear what was said. As Buzzbot whispered in Twilight's ear her eyes went wide with surprise.

"It’s as simple as that huh? Doesn't make much sense, then again it kinda does I guess." They both looked at Pinkie Pie who simlpy beamed at them. "She can really do that? I knew she had some skills but even then how did you.....?" Buzzbot shushed Twilight and whispered again.

Tinker Track was finding this all very annoying. He was tired of being the only pony not ‘in the know’. A look of comprehension spread across Twilight's face and she nodded. "Fine that settles that then, I don't get most of it but I guess we can go forward for now," With that she proceeded to lead them all back to T.C.A.P.

Tinker Track looked to Pinkie Pie with pleading as Twilight and Buzz walked off ahead, "Could you please tell me what that was all about?"

"Oh sure that's easy," Pinkie Pie told him as if it was the simplest thing in Equestria to understand, "Discord gave Buzz a little understanding of how my Pinkie sense works." Tinker Track, still in the dark, shrugged.

"So, how does that explain anything?" He asked in a dismayed tone.

Pinkie Pie rolled her eyes. "Oh silly colt, Buzzbot knew that my Pinkie sense would tell me that she arrived back in this time, then I would go tell Twilight and come right over to see you both."

"Wha...." Tinker's eyes were losing their focus, the words coming out of Pinkie Pie's mouth were all right they just didn't seem to belong with each other.

Pinkie Pie drew Tinker into a conspiratorial embrace. "I'm gonna tell you a big secret Tinker and you have to ‘Pinkie Promise’ that you will keep it?" At this point Tinker Track was game for almost anything and so went through the motions and words of the Pinkie Promise. Pinkie now satisfied, leaned in closer and whispered five words with solemnity: “Pickle Barrel, Chimmy Cherry Chunga.”

Tinker Track did a double take and then stared at Pinkie in utter confusion. Having shared her valued insight and wisdom with Tinker, Pinkie happily bounced off after the other two. Tinker simply shook his head, more bewildered than before.

All of a suddenly Tinker realized the others were leaving him behind with in a crowd of Discord’s other patients, all watching him with distant happy smiles. After an awkward pause where one or two waved in welcome Tinker fled before anything else could happen.


Taking the time to allow the side effects of the memory spell to fade, Tinker was eager to attend the arranged meeting with the T.C.A.P council. He had some ponies to say apologise to, it was time to make things right.

The hearing was to take place in one of the higher domes of T.C.A.P, much higher than the trade levels Tinker and Buzz had visited what seemed so long ago. Tinker was to have an advocate, in fact the council had insisted on such after his outburst last time.

This worked out well as with only a little bit of repair work Buzzbot was able to assume different roles once more. For this duty she took on the form of a brown stallion with black mane and tail. The guise's cutie mark was a pair of scales and Buzz topped off the whole persona with a heavy, confident Manehatten accent. Armed with the assurance of Tinker's fitness for work from Discord they were as ready as they could be.

The council consisted of high ranking ponies from all departments of T.C.A.P, headed by Twilight Sparkle herself. Trixie would normally have been included in these proceedings, but as it was her grandson's employment being reviewed she had voluntarily stepped aside so there was no conflict of interests. She was however able to stay and observe.

It was early afternoon when the meeting began. The sunshine flowed through the glass dome all around and another testament to the advancements was that the room still felt nice and cool, just like being outside. Twilight was at the apex of the curve of a horseshoe shaped table. The rest of the ponies followed the outer line, meaning that Tinker found himself surrounded on three sides by senior scientist and engineer ponies.

Buzzbot in her new disguise was seated a little further back behind a small table of her own. Tinker Track looked across all the counsellors and smiled weakly at Twilight. It was her task to begin proceedings.

Tinker thought he caught a slight nod from Twilight before she began her address, "Fillies and gentlecolts, we are here today to discuss the matter of Tinker Track's continued employment with T.C.A.P. This aspiring engineer has created some machines and devices that could have caused serious harm to Equestria and/or its ponies. Now this in itself is not against policy, that Tinker Track failed to rectify these concerns when brought before this council is however."

A number of the ponies present shuddered at being reminded about the last time Tinker Track was pulled up by the council. It was surprising that the dome's glass hadn't blackened and the floor caught fire with the venom and bile Tinker Track had spurted out on that occasion. Tinker was mortified to recall how totally totally deranged he must have appeared. Harsh words had been yelled on both sides and with no shortage of curses on his part.

"We have reconvened so that we can decide what is to be done about Tinker Track and to give him another chance to change our minds and so be raised back to full employment. Now I understand that Tinker Track has an advocate to speak on his behalf? We open the floor so that they may plead his case."

Buzzbot started to rise but Tinker took a deep breath and stood forestalled her. He was eager to show that he’d reformed that he was going to be a productive member of society. I need to do this.

Tinker gave a little shake of his head and ignoring the look of sudden panic on Buzz’s face opened his mouth, "T.C.A.P council members, first of all I would like to apologize unreservedly for my behaviour last time I was before you. I know that I was totally out of order and you were right to censure me. In fact I feel that you were all very lenient uder the circumstances and I thank you for that."

He looked about and saw many of the board were sitting with astonished expressions, one or two even removing their preemptive hooves from their ears. That got their attention. "That being said, I wish to thank you all for this opportunity to come before you once again and hope that you will give me an opportunity to further make amends. I will of course adhere to your decision and any conditions you see fit to place upon me."

If the ponies were stunned before, now they were at totally amazed and several whispers went back and forth between them. Twilight just sat there with a warm smile letting her fellow council members talk it through. In the end a white unicorn mare with glasses who was seated to Twilight's right raised the first question in response to Tinker Track’s speech,

‘Glasses’ expression was cold and stern, "How do we know you're being honest with us? You showed yourself to be very unstable last time. As far as we know you could be just telling us what we want to hear and when we let you loose on the world again you will fall back into your old ways? I find it very hard to believe that a pony can change so much in such a short period of time."

This was not an unreasonable question to ask and Tinker Track paused before responding. Old habits die hard and so taking a breath he fought down the urge to snap back. Several of the watchers readed their hooves just in case, "Yes, it is true that I am prone to outbursts. But I have taken time and measures to make sure that I curb them. I have it on good authority that I am fit for work."

Buzzbot, who’d been sitting there with her mouth open, shook herself and rose to her hooves. She presented Discord's certificate to Twilight who made made a show of reading it before informing the rest of the council its contents.

"It seems that Tinker Track has been certified as fit for work by Dr. Discord himself. If any creature in Equestria knows the mind of unstable ponies I would say it was him. The fact that Tinker has taken steps to seek help speaks in his favour."

If there was shock before it was as nothing now; to have the personal approval of Discord, the leading mind in pony psychology caused a great stir. Tinker was happy to see that almost all the council looked to him with new respect, or at least tolerance. See I didn’t explode, you can take you hooves away from your ears now.

Despite the seriousness of the situation Tinker was actually enjoying this, to turn the council’s fears into pleasant surprise. Glasses looked at him with a frown, she along with those close to her still didn't seem convinced. "Surely that just shows you truly are an unstable pony," She reasoned while her followers nodded in agreement.

Twilight smiled at this and then admonished the mare, "Now, now ‘Clinical Precision’, if we turned out every pony that showed the least hint of instability then T.C.A.P would be practically empty. I have often heard it said that the line between genius and madness was a thin one. In fact I happen to know that a number of us present here today have been in Discord's very capable care at one time or another and when treated and corrected have gone on to make a valuable contribution."

Twilight glanced at Trixie who gave a nod of approval. The princess’ gaze then moved back to Clinical Precision, “I understand that someponies here have suffered from various syndromes such as O.C.D and the like.”

Clinical Precision shuffled slightly in her seat, absentmindedly straightening her notes. "Many of T.C.A.P's proudest achievements have come from ponies deemed crazy by some and Equestria is a better place for us giving them a chance." Twilight concluded.

“Well yes, but not all of them were as dangerous or….” Clinical began before being cut off.

“The point is anypony can change for the better and we have a duty to give them a chance to do so,” Twilight added, “Tinker’s work has yielded many unexpected developments.”
Twilight looked past Tinker to the still astonished Buzz before continuing, “So with the evidence presented here, Tinkers potential value, his eloquent apology and with Doctor Discord’s assurances I move that Tinker be reinstated for a trial period of three months.”

Tinker felt a small knot form in his gut as Twilight concluded, “That should be sufficient time for Tinker to prove he has reformed properly?” He knew a life line when it was offered to him and Tinker bowed. “Very well, to the vote then. All those in favour of Tinker being reinstated?”

To Tinker’s surprise and joy several hooves shot up instantly, these were followed by others and even the smarting Clinical Precision eventually followed suit. It was a close call, Tinker realised as he counted, just under three quarters giving their support.

“Then it’s decided, this matter is adjourned for three months,” Twilight finished and Tinker felt himself relax. Leaving the boardroom behind them Tinker was ‘assaulted’ by his grandmare.

"The Great and Totally Humble Trixie is so proud of you! She knew you wouldn't let her down!" Tinker reeled as Trixie’s hooves crushed him in a warm embrace and was quickly smothered in happy kisses on both cheeks.

“Please ‘Gran’, you’re embarrassing me,” Tinker tried but Trixie was having none of it. The affection continued and between hugs and bright magical flashes from Trixie’s horn Tinker saw Twilight and Buzz watching him them with wide smiles.

Trixie finally finished before rounding on Buzz, "And you! Call yourself supporting council! Trixie's dear grandson had to do all the work while you just sat there!”

Buzz, shuffled ‘his’ hooves, "Mrs Trixie, I had instructed Mr Tinker Track well enough before we entered, I was confident his natural charm would win them over and felt no need to add more." Buzzbot said in her best Manehatten voice.

Trixie snorted at this, but the flattery seemed to work nevertheless and she gave Tinker another hug and a, "Well done my boy, Trixie is so proud," In his ear before relenting.

Twilight finally emerged from the boardroom, saying farewell to a few other council members before greeting the happy smiles of Tinker and Buzzbot with one of her own, "Well even though that didn't go exactly as everypony planned I think we can all agree it was a fantastic result.”

"Yes princess thank you for your support and help. I am so sorry I ever doubted you," Tinker Track said.

Twilight gave a little laugh and looked to the retreating Trixie. "Aww think nothing of it Tinker, you’re not the first pony from your family to take a dislike to me. I'm just glad we managed to get you on the right track too." She looked Tinker Track right in the eye before going on.

"You know I wasn't exaggerating in there Tinker, you do have great potential and once we have refined some of your latest works I think they will be very helpful and of great benefit. We can both see how well Buzz turned out and if that's any indication I think your future here at T.C.A.P will be a bright and exciting one."

"I will do my best not to let you down Princess," Tinker replied as Buzzbot blushed at Twilight's praise of her.

Twilight’s smile faded a little, “Still mustn't be complacent, the future won’t make itself. Be good, both of you.” The serious moment lasted just long enough for Tinker to feel uncomfortable before Twilight grinned all the wider, “Come on, we’ve got lots to do and all the time in the world to do it.”

Author's Note:

It's nice to come full circle and to pick up back in Tinker Track's own time and to see the results of the story begin to come together. As mentioned else where this was planned to be the last main chapter, but as I worked it soon became bigger than had planned for. So an extra chapter was needed to cover every thing. Any how hope you have all enjoyed reading this story. The next one is pretty much written too I so don't doubt it will be along shortly.

A always great fun to write the crazy actions of Discord and Trixie, until next time all! Thanks so much for your support!