School for New Writers 5,012 members · 9,620 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14
XiF
XiF #1 · Feb 8th, 2014 · · ·

Salutations! You may be acquainted of me, but just in case, I'll habituate myself. I'm a brony yclept REDACTED, and, like any other writer, I suppose I have somewhat of a penchant for loquaciousness.

Yikes. I'm a proponent of having a big vocabulary (not that any of the words in the above example were particularly obscure), but it always saddens me when I see things like this. I've always believed that one of the reasons us writers should be thankful for the English language is that it has so many words that mean the same thing but really don't. Take "hearty welcome" and "cordial reception." Just by literal definitions, they should mean the same thing, but they evoke totally different pictures in your mind. When you go through you story or whatever looking for words to replace with "bigger ones," you're pretty vulnerable to having this advantage turn against you. If you don't understand the nuances of a certain word having just discovered it in a thesaurus, how do you expect to use it correctly? Please, just don't try to artificially inflate your vocabulary with a thesaurus. (For those of you who don't need external help to be overly verbose, I just want to say that purple prose is boring and that you are boring. :scootangel:)

That said, go out there and learn you some new words!

(No seriously, leave. What are you still doing here?)

(No seriously, leave. What are you still doing here?)

Proofreading, my friend. Proofreading.

2805515 Sound advice from a sound mind.

XiF
XiF #4 · Feb 9th, 2014 · · ·

#obligatoryrecentepisodejoke

Yes. All of my yes.

But if I type like a normal person, how will I ever impress m-m'lady?

*tips fedora*

XiF

2807125 Uh... money?

2805543 Huh. I would've guessed you were clo- (gets smacked)

Cloning? I was cloning? How dare you accuse me of cloning.

I am afraid that mastery of such a skill such as subtly is lost upon many writer that frequent this site.
I am among their ranks unfortunately.
How is one to evoke emotion when they know not how to bring it so?

XiF

2818927 Show Don't Tell

Is this what you were looking for?

Comment posted by The Patriotic Pony deleted Feb 11th, 2014
Comment posted by Korroki-Aternak deleted Feb 12th, 2014
Comment posted by Cryosite deleted Feb 12th, 2014
Comment posted by PegasusMesa deleted Feb 12th, 2014

I think that if you have to look up a word to find its definition because you didn't know it beforehand, you probably shouldn't use it., because your reader problably doesn't know what it is either.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14